New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

confused OOTS #1190-1192 - The Multi-Strip Discussion Thread

For discussing the last three comics. Separate threads going at the same time will just be confusing for everyone.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1190-1192 - The Multi-Strip Discussion Thread

Yeah, that sounds sensible.

So to repeat myself a bit: there's a one-day timeskip between the last book and this one which means A) one less day for Belkar out of three weeks (thanks hamishpence) B) One day in captivity for our paladin friends (hopefully they've woken up) C) Half a dozen less doors and the MITD is the only one who knows which doors he faked that day.

Also, Belkar and Roy are precious, I wonder why Julia is calling (besides her testing her new spell), I like the balancing of the spell level and the extended conversation by the fact that it only works with one person.

Also I dig her new look (both colthes- and artwork-wise).
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Can't wait to see what plot knowledge does to the belkster.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I find it interesting that the blood oath Magic aura and the weapon of legacy aura are the same green aura, since the Greenhilt potential weapon of legacy predates the blood oath. Not sure whether this means anything or not...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodfeast View Post
    Can't wait to see what plot knowledge does to the belkster.
    Conveniently, Vaarsuvius was away on a scouting mission so no direct discussion between Belkar and V yet since the recap. Has Belkar found out from Elan (who was present at the time) why exactly V gave him socks-filtered Explosive Runes coffee after last new year party. I wonder if that comes up eventually...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

*takes a huge inhale!* GASP! ohmygodwehadtoholdourbreathforsolong! therestoomuchtosay!
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    So to repeat myself a bit: there's a one-day timeskip between the last book and this one
    Two-day timeskip. The last book ended with Vaarsuvius notifying Lien that they would arrive in two days. Since then Belkar has spent two nights staying up late listening to Elan explain the plot, and now they're about to arrive.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    Two-day timeskip. The last book ended with Vaarsuvius notifying Lien that they would arrive in two days. Since then Belkar has spent two nights staying up late listening to Elan explain the plot, and now they're about to arrive.
    Correction: Belkar spent one evening listening to Elan at the same time as V sent to Lien. We skipped one day (where Belkar listened again) and now we are the second day since V Sent and they are arriving on schedule.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

It feels like this book will be Belkar-heavy in the same way the last one was Durkon-heavy; not in the sense that we'll get an in-depth look at Belkar's backstory (I doubt we will), but in the sense that because he seems to actually care what's going on now it feels like most of the "current" action will be centered on him.

I could be wrong, of course. But I like the idea.

EDIT: Also, welcome back, everyone!
    Last edited by The Aboleth; 2020-02-22 at 08:18 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

HalflingRogueGirl

Correction: Belkar spent one evening listening to Elan at the same time as V sent to Lien. We skipped one day (where Belkar listened again) and now we are the second day since V Sent and they are arriving on schedule.
    So it's been two days, exactly as I said. I'm not seeing how this is a correction.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

So it's been two days, exactly as I said. I'm not seeing how this is a correction.
    You said it was a two-day time-skip which would make it three days since V's message. Only one day was skipped so this is the (morning of the) second day since V's message.

As much as there are mornings and days so close to the pole.
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

I think it's only very close to midsummer or midwinter, that the day-night cycle becomes indistinguishable - with autumn or spring having very noticeable light variation levels.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I think it's only very close to midsummer or midwinter, that the day-night cycle becomes indistinguishable - with autumn or spring having very noticeable light variation levels.
    Yes but it gets longer and longer the closer you are to the pole, at the actual pole a day can last six months.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #14

HalflingRogueGirl

You said it was a two-day time-skip which would make it three days since V's message. Only one day was skipped so this is the (morning of the) second day since V's message.

Ah, we're talking past each other; we have exactly the same timeline in mind. But this is a two-day time-skip, i.e. the story went forward in time by two days, although I suppose 1.5 days is more accurate. By your reckoning, a zero-day time-skip (or no time-skip at all) would make it one day since V's message, which makes no sense.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

So what do you think? In #1192, is it really Julia who's calling, or is it Eugene pretending to be Julia with an illusion, in which case Roy just managed to succeed a disbelief roll in the punchline so we'll see Eugene in his own form in the next strip?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, we're talking past each other; we have exactly the same timeline in mind. But this is a two-day time-skip, i.e. the story went forward in time by two days, although I suppose 1.5 days is more accurate. By your reckoning, a zero-day time-skip (or no time-skip at all) would make it one day since V's message, which makes no sense.
    Ah, I see the issue. Glad we got on the same page.
    Going from the evening of a day to the morning of the day after is not skipping a day to me, just skipping a night. Going from the evening of a day to the morning of the day after the day after (and thus skipping a day entirely) is a one-day timeskip in my book.
    Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Belkar acting like this is actually really nice and really weird to see. And apparently, Belkar agrees.
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Interesting to see Julia popping up. She was not a loose end, and is too low-level to play a combat role in the upcoming battle. Why was she brought back? What kind of role will she play in the upcoming events?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hey, a new thread! Now there are finally people who have to listen to my opinions about OOTS again.

So, first things first, the first panel of 1190 nearly got me, I’m not gonna lie. I’ve also been liking the focus on Belkar; it definitely feels like we’ll be getting a lot of character development from the little psychopath. Also, I like seeing Julia again, but I am curious as to why exactly she’s here. Maybe she has more to say, because in-story I guess the only real reason for this to happen is she had to actual test the spell, but out-of-story I feel like there’s some needed payoff.

Interested to see what the rest of the final book holds!

Peelee’s Lotsey

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just wanted to say I loved the first three panels of the new book! Maybe a cat (or kittens?) are the answer to stopping the Snarl? :)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Hey, a new thread! Now there are finally people who have to listen to my opinions about OOTS again.

So, first things first, the first panel of 1190 nearly got me, I’m not gonna lie. I’ve also been liking the focus on Belkar; it definitely feels like we’ll be getting a lot of character development from the little psychopath. Also, I like seeing Julia again, but I am curious as to why exactly she’s here. Maybe she has more to say, because in-story I guess the only real reason for this to happen is she had to actual test the spell, but out-of-story I feel like there’s some needed payoff.

Interested to see what the rest of the final book holds!
    Did we see more than one page of the school's master? Remember that she'll be showing the spell to her instructors, so this would be a potential source of a more level appropriate ally.

Editted: Drat, he's in at least two.
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2020-02-22 at 11:43 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian View Post
    Just wanted to say I loved the first three panels of the new book! Maybe a cat (or kittens?) are the answer to stopping the Snarl? :)
    Maybe the purple thread is foreshadowing that belkar does become a god of sorts. a god of battle, death or whatever, a demi god.

Though this is perhaps a bit of a stretch I admit, the purple thread for the kitty is a nice touch. Perhaps the kitty and belkar become a godly duo, but I doubt it.

with all 3 threads merged, its kind of a snarl of its own, 3 comics being discussed at once, but I'll take it.

And julias sending spell is both clever and has plot potential. I like it.
    Vae Victus!

23. - Top - End - #23

Wonder if Julia will take a meaningful part in the adventure now.
    Last edited by Hardcore; 2020-02-22 at 11:57 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Mhh...I wonder if Julia is here to help Roy figure something out for his special sword techniques. Maybe, one last upgrade before facing Xykon?
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

25. - Top - End - #25

I am so glad that we're back, and thank you for allow us to directly support you via Patreon, Mr. Burlew.

26. - Top - End - #26

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lehmann View Post
    I find it interesting that the blood oath Magic aura and the weapon of legacy aura are the same green aura, since the Greenhilt potential weapon of legacy predates the blood oath. Not sure whether this means anything or not...
    The family generally seems to have a green colour thing going on - likely due to the greenhilt surname
    So a blood oath would have a green tinge because it’s a family thing, whilst Julia has green as her magic colour because it her family style
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Is it just me, or have the links in the subscription emails become incredibly long?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #28

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WolvesbaneIII View Post
    Maybe the purple thread is foreshadowing that belkar does become a god of sorts. a god of battle, death or whatever, a demi god.

Though this is perhaps a bit of a stretch I admit, the purple thread for the kitty is a nice touch. Perhaps the kitty and belkar become a godly duo, but I doubt it.

with all 3 threads merged, its kind of a snarl of its own, 3 comics being discussed at once, but I'll take it.

And julias sending spell is both clever and has plot potential. I like it.
    I am going to insist that ascension has been, at my most hopeful, foreshadowed.
    Nod. Get treat.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lehmann View Post
    That could be just Julia's aura, she had a pale green dweomer when she was casting spells back when we first met her.

30. - Top - End - #30

BardGuy

I guess Julia's now up to 5th or 7th level, depending on whether she managed to reduce Sending one or two levels. I always had the idea that ___ college would graduate fresh new 1st-level characters, but this would square better with how Roy began his career, somewhere toward the beginning of mid-level.