New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1190-1192 - The Multi-Strip Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    I always had the idea that ___ college would graduate fresh new 1st-level characters, but this would square better with how Roy began his career, somewhere toward the beginning of mid-level.
    Well, Roy did get a Master's.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #32

And an underclassman like Pompey already had access to Summon Monster II, so the characters graduating ready for E6 seems about right.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    So what do you think? In #1192, is it really Julia who's calling, or is it Eugene pretending to be Julia with an illusion, in which case Roy just managed to succeed a disbelief roll in the punchline so we'll see Eugene in his own form in the next strip?
    I'm pretty sure it's actually Julia. If Eugene was just pretending (presumably for the sake of ribbing on Roy, or encouraging him to fight harder), why would he claim to not be dead and advertise a spell that doesn't actually work as intended yet? I doubt Eugene would admit to failing at magic, even temporarily. Plus, the comic is named "Inherited Characteristics." Her less skimpy outfit also subtly calls back to Durkon's conversation with her back in 364.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Interesting to see Julia popping up. She was not a loose end, and is too low-level to play a combat role in the upcoming battle. Why was she brought back? What kind of role will she play in the upcoming events?
    I think The Giant included 1192 to recap the Blood Oath and remind us of the stakes, both for Roy personally and for the wider world (by showing Julia as a civilian with normal student problems, who risks annihilation if the Oots fails.).

Speaking of which, I'm a little surprised Roy didn't discuss that possibility with Julia like he did with Veldrina. Perhaps he will on the next page. Or maybe Roy already learned from Durkon about the Thor conversation, and thus thinks Xykon's success won't prompt the world's destruction, just the Dark One's bargaining. I'd be surprised if that conversation happened solely off-panel though; I think we'll get to see Roy's reaction to Thor's plan to have Durkon talk Redcloak into helping them seal the rifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Also, Belkar and Roy are precious, I wonder why Julia is calling (besides her testing her new spell), I like the balancing of the spell level and the extended conversation by the fact that it only works with one person.
    I also like the spell, and am surprised such a niche of "better sending, but only for specific people you have a particular link with" doesn't already exist in 3.5e (that I know of). Especially for family; Luke and Leia, anyone? It seems like a nice reward for a wizard player (or a family member) that a DM could use for exposition and character development. I guess there just isn't enough of a need for it with Sending present.

Belkar and Roy are indeed precious, and Roy's recognition of Belkar's genuine character development will only increase the impact of Belkar's eventual death.
    Last edited by NobleCuriosity; 2020-02-22 at 04:11 PM.
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Ah, I see the issue. Glad we got on the same page.
    Going from the evening of a day to the morning of the day after is not skipping a day to me, just skipping a night. Going from the evening of a day to the morning of the day after the day after (and thus skipping a day entirely) is a one-day timeskip in my book.
    Can confirm, it has been at least 9 days since Durkon's death, as per the past three comics, as this is now Day 10.
    "When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, they're not Elan and Nale levels of dysfunctional, but that's still pretty awful.

Not sure where this is going, but I do suspect there's more than just, "and here's a recap of the story!" somewhere in here.
    I like to art!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

The day of the Godsmoot was the Solstice, aka the 21st unless it's earlier or later for the OOTSVerse. So that's 10 days till the end of the year. Another day passed as they went to where the Exarch was, then another 2 days as they reached the pole. Belkar has about 1 more week until he dies forever, is made into an undead, or becomes a god.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Where is everybody? Usually just a thread for a single comic fills up instantly with 26 pages of theorizing and random comments. Now that Julia has showed up, I feel like the “new ally” is going to be that blond friend of Julia’s that showed up in exactly one strip. Also, I saw new artwork for Pompey and that gnome druid guy on the Fandom wiki, anybody know where that’s from?
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    The day of the Godsmoot was the Solstice, aka the 21st unless it's earlier or later for the OOTSVerse. So that's 10 days till the end of the year. Another day passed as they went to where the Exarch was, then another 2 days as they reached the pole. Belkar has about 1 more week until he dies forever, is made into an undead, or becomes a god.
    End of the Southern Year, not Northern, different calendar.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    Where is everybody? Usually just a thread for a single comic fills up instantly with 26 pages of theorizing and random comments. Now that Julia has showed up, I feel like the “new ally” is going to be that blond friend of Julia’s that showed up in exactly one strip. Also, I saw new artwork for Pompey and that gnome druid guy on the Fandom wiki, anybody know where that’s from?
    Probably lots haven't noticed the message that the forums are back.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Julia could hand in that spell in as her senior project as is. Undergrad projects aren't expected to be widely useful and world changing, just demonstrate an understanding of fundamental principles. Utilising an unusual magic effect to make a spell more useful and require a lower spell level qualifies. An aptitude like that can get you a job in an engineering company in the real world. Employers will see adaptation of an existing design around existing infrastructure to be more useful and cheaper.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Hehe, I like the idea of Belkar ascending to a sexy shoeless god of war.

I had another idea too, looking at this comic... cause you know, apparently colors are VERY important.

Remember how the Northern gods are yellow, the Southern gods are blue, the Western gods are red, and the Eastern gods which are no more were green... Do you think Roy and his family could wield the Green Quidity?

(and also, yeah, this totally means the dark one related to the snarl somehow!)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

biggrin Re: OOTS #1190-1192 - The Multi-Strip Discussion Thread

Cap'n Recap! Summon Plot Exposition
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I don't read the forum anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    It's not like I could have possibly picked a number that would please everyone anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I think people tend to forget that Banjo giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other. He might well have voted with Hel to get puppets a better deal in World 3.0.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by NobleCuriosity View Post

I also like the spell, and am surprised such a niche of "better sending, but only for specific people you have a particular link with" doesn't already exist in 3.5e (that I know of). Especially for family; Luke and Leia, anyone? It seems like a nice reward for a wizard player (or a family member) that a DM could use for exposition and character development. I guess there just isn't enough of a need for it with Sending present.
    Instant communication between two select people already exists. It's called telepathic bond with the addition of a permanency.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    Where is everybody? Usually just a thread for a single comic fills up instantly with 26 pages of theorizing and random quotes.
    Well, I haven’t been checking in on the forum several times a day like I used to. It will take awhile to get back to our usual level of posting.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necris Omega View Post
    Well, they're not Elan and Nale levels of dysfunctional, but that's still pretty awful.

Not sure where this is going, but I do suspect there's more than just, "and here's a recap of the story!" somewhere in here.
    To be fair, both of them appear to have inherited Eugene's caustic snark to a degree, and I do recall that they do care for each other somewhat. I'd say they've got one of the more healthy family relations shown in-comic (Tarqin and his kids, Eugene, Ian wasn't that great either), but then again, there's Durkon's family, so that goes straight out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Instant communication between two select people already exists. It's called telepathic bond with the addition of a permanency.
    Useful, but that requires you to have done that in advance. It doesn't work if the person you want to cast it on is halfway across the world like Roy is.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I loved the first few panels of 1190, great visual joke there.

Sometimes a purple string is just a purple string and not a god-slaying abomination.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Did we see more than one page of the school's master? Remember that she'll be showing the spell to her instructors, so this would be a potential source of a more level appropriate ally.

Editted: Drat, he's in at least two.
    Well, I think the potential of wizard help from afar could still be an interesting possibility, even if the headmaster might not be the hinted at character.

Peelee’s Lotsey

18. - Top - End - #48

Yay! The forums are back! Also, these 3 comics are amazing, I was much more excited for each of these then I was for most of the first 20 I saw up.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Well, I think the potential of wizard help from afar could still be an interesting possibility, even if the headmaster might not be the hinted at character.
    I recall Qarr saying that very few mages are over 10th level or so, which probably means the headmaster probably isn't that powerful.

Well, at least compared to the Order and their enemies. At that level, even the non-casters are going to be tearing through low~mid-level NPCs like tissue paper.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Useful, but that requires you to have done that in advance. It doesn't work if the person you want to cast it on is halfway across the world like Roy is.
    That's really neat. That said, I meant more a spell that had a specific restriction built into the spell (not allowing a selection) as is the case for Julia's, like "can only use to speak to family" or something like that. I doubt any players would take it on their own initiative, but it would be a nice reward from the DM to wizard players, and a way (in the hands of NPCs) for DMs to have family check-ins or similar with a specific subset of people, without the stilted 25-word communications, without opening plotholes about "why didn't they contact X instead"?

I imagine such a spell would let you cast it on someone else to let them contact their own personal subset, so as not to be too hilariously narrow.
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

21. - Top - End - #51
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Remember how the Northern gods are yellow, the Southern gods are blue, the Western gods are red, and the Eastern gods which are no more were green... Do you think Roy and his family could wield the Green Quidity?
    The dweomer we see when a magic-user casts a spell is *not* a quiddity. And while you might be happy with the absolutely massive Deus ex Machina that "Roy's family turn out to be descendants of the Eastern gods so we don't need the Dark One after all", I wouldn't be very satisfied myself.

22. - Top - End - #52

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, Roy did get a Master's.
    And I wonder if Julia will make a snarky comment about that. (Involving fishing, if you get my drift.)

Julia looks years older than her last appearance, now that she's properly dressed. Nice to see she took Durkon's advice after the adventure. She's maturing fast, in some ways, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The dweomer we see when a magic-user casts a spell is *not* a quiddity. And while you might be happy with the absolutely massive Deus ex Machina that "Roy's family turn out to be descendants of the Eastern gods so we don't need the Dark One after all", I wouldn't be very satisfied myself.
    Yeah, not nearly enough foreshadowing for that. Is still going to be poetic somewhat when the Order manages to seal the Snarl again properly, because the color is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    And I wonder if Julia will make a snarky comment about that. (Involving fishing, if you get my drift.)

Julia looks years older than her last appearance, now that she's properly dressed. Nice to see she took Durkon's advice after the adventure. She's maturing fast, in some ways, anyway.
    Between the obvious spellcasting prowess and the revelation that Durkon could hear her all along but had a strong enough will to concentrate on his spell, I think it's safe to say that she respects him more than enough to do that. I mean, wouldn't you?

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Glad that it turn out that Julia wasn't dead after all. Since it was hard to know either way at first. Also it nice that Belkar is willing to learn about what he has missed which is only adds to his character development.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's what looks different.
    Seriously, the whole time I was trying to figure out why Julia looks different- besides the changed art style that is.

I really hope she figures out how to fix the minor flaw in her new spell.
    If only so she can keep annoying Roy after the Blood Oath is gone.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, you call it a deus ex machina because you think it comes out of nowhere. But AGAIN, I think it has become apparent that color effects similar to this that seemed so insignificant actually turned out to be very important. If something similar to this happens and you want to complain it's a deus ex machina without acknowledging hints and foreshadowing, that's on you.

But who knows? Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with being a descendant of an eastern god? {scrubbed}

No, aside from that, there could be other explanation.. like.. for example, the green quidity is always there, all around the world. Maybe it's in scattered traces from the original world, maybe it just pervades the universe but the other gods can't access it. But for whatever reason, maybe among other things the color green being so important to Roy's family and identity, maybe they became attuned to it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-02-23 at 09:08 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    I mean, you call it a deus ex machina because you think it comes out of nowhere. But AGAIN, I think it has become apparent that color effects similar to this that seemed so insignificant actually turned out to be very important. If something similar to this happens and you want to complain it's a deus ex machina without acknowledging hints and foreshadowing, that's on you.

But who knows? Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with being a descendant of an eastern god? {scrubbed}

No, aside from that, there could be other explanation.. like.. for example, the green quidity is always there, all around the world. Maybe it's in scattered traces from the original world, maybe it just pervades the universe but the other gods can't access it. But for whatever reason, maybe among other things the color green being so important to Roy's family and identity, maybe they became attuned to it.
    I think the thing is that the color isn't the quiddity. It's a side effect that happens to be strongly affected by whatever that underlying key difference is. If it were they case that the Greenhilts were wielding actual quiddity, then the gods already have access to way more than four: Vaarsuvius has pink, Tsukiko had purple, Durkon has white, Xykon has black, I'm pretty sure we've seen orange, etc. Mortal magic just isn't the same as a divine aura. They don't need the greenness; they need the underlying quality that happens to cause greenness in gods.

Might as well say that they could throw grass at the gate. Grass is green, so it counts, right?
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2020-02-23 at 11:22 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Julia is quite pretty as she is now, but, even if we assume she actually changed her dressing style (as opposed to simply happening to be wearing that, maybe because she knows she needs to look presentable for her thesis), that and maturing are two different things. Maturity isn't dressing the way some old traditionalist man tells you to, it's sticking it to anyone that demands conformity. One especially shouldn't take advice on proper behavior from Durkon, who, LG though he may be, has an ideology - or at least had an ideology back then - that is outdated by centuries. Julia should dress as she feels like.

Incidentally, Julia is both more pleasant and more Good than her father (not that it's a hard thing). And she's Neutral. If he, the man who didn't want his own son to go to Celestia, gets to enter the pearly gates, so does Julia once she passes.

Heck, so does Belkar.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2020-02-23 at 11:46 AM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Colossus in the Playground

True Neutral people don't get into Celestia, they get into the Outlands. And generally, they would prefer the Outlands.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    True Neutral people don't get into Celestia, they get into the Outlands. And generally, they would prefer the Outlands.
    Oh, sure, I am certainly aware. I'm just saying she's more worthy of Celestia than Eugene, not that she should (or would want to) get in. I'd likely choose and go to Ysgard myself. Fight the good fight!
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2020-02-23 at 12:00 PM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.