Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Play what you want, or fill in a needed role?

Quote Originally Posted by prabe View Post
    If I were joining a party, I'd look at what the party had and at least not build to compete for any existing character's niche (5E isn't great at niche-protection, but I think it's worth consideration).
    Quote Originally Posted by MeimuHakurei View Post
    It's simple - if someone has a problem with a certain role not being filled, they should do it themselves.
    These things. If you want to play a particular kind of character do it. If doing so is going to stomp all over someone else's existing character because their PC is covering a certain niche already, consider a bit more carefully how your PC is going to fit in. However, unless the DM says, "Don't play this, or this, or that," or other players say (politely), "Please don't play a PC like this because the party really doesn't need or want another PC covering that niche," then play what you want. If nobody is setting conditions on your participation you don't need to place any special restrictions on yourself. As noted, if someone wants a certain role filled then THEY can f'n well do that, not demand that YOU do that.

Also, you really can't ever go wrong with just creating a PC that stands at the front line and helps deal more damage.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

I roll some dice, look at the party, think if it fits. If not, I roll again.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    1. Do you play something that can round out the group?

OR

2. Do you play what you want to play, consequences be damned?

In the case of my Avernus group, here's the party comp:

VHuman Dragon Sorc (blaster), Eladrin Scout Rogue (ranged), Kobold Melee Fighter, Undecided (likely NOT a caster), and whatever I play.

So with no healer, no utility caster, no tank... Not even anyone Strength-based! I could try to play something that'd fill in those roles. Maybe an Arcana Cleric or Paladin. And those subclasses are great! But... I'd likely be burning through my resources very quickly, as I try to cover so many bases.
    There's so many interesting options that I've yet to find a time where these two goals were mutually exclusive lol

Do you want to play a healer, utility caster, and/or tank? If not a character that focuses on any of those things, then how about something that kinda does one (or more?) of those things?

A single Swords Bard can play at all three of those. (Focus on Dex more than Cha, + Defensive Flourish = decent melee damage and pretty respectable AC, especially if you buff yourself first)

(Moon) Druids can do all 3, too.

There's lots of ways to build Wizards beyond just utility mage. Theurgy Wiz to heal, Blade Singer to melee, Conjuration or Necro to tank via minions.

If you use UA, Tranquility or even Mercy Monk gets you decent healing (a little too much healing for Tranquility) and tanking potential (patient defense).

Ranger can do a little healing (particularly if your dm lets you force-feed Goodberries to downed allies) along with your choice of melee or ranged focus. (Though you're probably right about being outshined by the Scout Rogue for the most part if you stick to RAW Ranger lol.)

Ė Or were you implying that you had just one particular character concept you were excited about before this? If so, then what?
    ĖĖ Assuming ^, I'd say that so long as you avoid duplicating another PC down to the subclass, you'll probably be fine playing whatever class you like. And so long as someone has the Healer feat, that should cover your most basic healing needs.
    Last edited by HPisBS; 2020-02-23 at 11:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

I'm in 3 live campaigns and I'm playing 3 Beast Master Rangers (lol). One is a wood elf with a panther, one is a kenku with a ranger (both archers) and one is a half-orc with dual-hand axes and the throwing weapon fighting style with a bear.

Rangers make *excellent* support characters so my healing has been invaluable as well as the flanking my pets provide, plus cool ranger tracking stuff, etc.

I've had a lot of epic moments. People probably don't think "support class" when they think Ranger, but boy howdy I tell you what we can fill those shoes.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Always play what you like. How you play it may be something the party might have a say in, but fundamentally who you are in a RPG is your choice.

The flip side is that it is wrong for you to expect others to play what you want them to.

Now, what you enjoy may be influenced by what others are playing. This is also fair. Also your choice and no one elses.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Honestly, it highly depends on how skilled my party is. I have two groups that I regularly play with. One group have a lot of knowledge on how 5e works, and know how to properly use their abilities. I don't really care about team composition with that group, because I know they're skilled enough to survive even if we have two Wizards, a Bard, and a Fighter as our party. The Bard picks up healing, the Fighter works as the frontline tank, and us wizards act as support and blasters.

Meanwhile in my other group, I am struggling to figure out what to play because, no offence to my party, but none of them are very competent. We have a Monk/Cleric that isn't great at healing, a Rogue/Monk that doesn't really do well with skirmishing, we tend to lose our frontline because they're often not here, and then there's me. No offense to my party, but I feel like I am really the only proficient player in the group. As a result I build characters that can fill out the weaknesses the party has...and we have some major, glaring issues.

To put this into perspective of how the rogue plays. He's an Arcane Trickster...he got knocked out by a enemy during one battle where it ended in a TPK. He rolled a nat 20, he was up and the one enemy that was left did not know he was up. The DM gave him advantage on the next attack due to the enemy not being aware that he was up. He could have attacked and killed the creature there, he could have brought one of us back up to aid him...instead he cast darkness centered on himself and stood up with 1 hit point, and was immediately knocked out again.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

My preference is to play a character that will fill in a needed role in the party.
    I prefer to choose last.
    D&D is built around a "special ops team" model.
    You don't leave a needed role/capability out of the mix.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-02-26 at 09:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    . Snip...
    D&D is built around a "special ops team" model.
    You don't leave a needed role/capability out of the mix.
    This is the exact wording that drew me into D&D from Fantasy Miniatures war games.

Flashbacks!

Still, play what you want, 5e can handle it.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Typically I play what I want to. However, if something I think I would like to play has the ability to round out or mesh into the group, at least partially, I'll go with that.

For example, the current party had a paladin, rogue and fighter. Classically you'd want a wizard or cleric to round it out. I wanted to play an artificer so I made one of those and am taking minor healing and control abilities to help cover the gaps while still playing what I wanted.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

10. - Top - End - #40

Planetar

If "filling the group" doesn't coincide with "what you want", chose "what you want".

Would you, personally, enjoy the game better with a balanced party where you fill the needed role, or with an unbalanced party where you play something else?

You're not supposed to sacrifice yourself for the team. Peoples fill needed roles because they personally enjoy when the party is balanced, or because they don't have strong opinions about what class to chose (like me most of the time) so it eases the choice. But balanced party are only important when the players actually care about it. (Or when the DM is a beginner. Unbalanced parties can be quite a challenge for a beginner DM.).

I mean, you can sacrifice yourself for the team if you really want to, but check before that the team actually care about (and is willing to help you by not making your job absurdly hard). There is nothing worse than reducing your enjoyment for something nobody else care about.

11. - Top - End - #41

Play what you want, it is the DMs job to balance the game not yours.
    May I borrow some bat guano?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

Because everyone always comes to me for help building characters, I have my fingers in every pot already. I build myself and others out of consideration of three points, in this strict order- 1.) What does the player want to do, 2.) What is good for the party, and 3.) What is good for the current campaign, as far as we know it.

I keep myself to the exact same system. While it's a team game and thus you should always take your party into account, there is no point in playing a game as something you don't like. If the party is perfect except for a healer and no one wants to play one, then you play without a healer and make do.

13. - Top - End - #43

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I always go for the "Fill a role" option. There's lots of options, and approaching a role from a different direction can be weird and fun.
    This is what I go for. For example, a Str-Based Rogue with the Healer feat. Unorthodox in pretty much every way, yet fun. Still no utility caster, but often that can be circumvented by creative uses of skill checks.
    "There are truly only 2 sources of conflict: Miscommunication, and Intolerance. Of the two, only one is acceptable."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

If you have two Barbarians, they'll have a hard time standing out between one another. How many "Strong Man" checks are going to be needed throughout your adventure? Not enough for 2 Barbarians, I feel.

Having a diverse party means that the party can handle more diverse problems, and it also means each player gets their own chance to shine. Having a Druid, Rogue, and a Fighter leaves little room for the Ranger to stand out.

So I firmly believe that a more diverse party has more fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

If you have two Barbarians, they'll have a hard time standing out between one another. How many "Strong Man" checks are going to be needed throughout your adventure? Not enough for 2 Barbarians, I feel.

Having a diverse party means that the party can handle more diverse problems, and it also means each player gets their own chance to shine. Having a Druid, Rogue, and a Fighter leaves little room for the Ranger to stand out.

So I firmly believe that a more diverse party has more fun.
    Welcome back. Barbarians take the cake for me as the most disappointing class. there's so many different ways to flavor them but mechanically there only so many different ways they crunch.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I always* play a life cleric. I've yet to find a situation where playing what I want (a life cleric) gets someone else at the table mad because they wanted to play a cleric. If there is more than 1 cleric, (only happened once) we negotiated over what parts of playing a cleric we liked. They went War and played a holy warrior, near-Paladin. I played the backup tank and heal bot (a role I relish, honestly).

*I love me some rogue, so from time to time, I'll play one instead of a life cleric. But if the group really wants a healer instead of (another) rogue, I'll happily swap out.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Welcome back. Barbarians take the cake for me as the most disappointing class. there's so many different ways to flavor them but mechanically there only so many different ways they crunch.
    Thanks, stoutstien. Good to be back after the break. And I agree on the Barbarians. I tried one once, and it was easily the least fun I've had playing DnD.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks, stoutstien. Good to be back after the break. And I agree on the Barbarians. I tried one once, and it was easily the least fun I've had playing DnD.
    I was talking to one of my players about how I thought the barbarian was in a worse position than the ranger and they laughed at me at first.

Ancestral guardian stands out as the exception in my mind.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    I was talking to one of my players about how I thought the barbarian was in a worse position than the ranger and they laughed at me at first.

Ancestral guardian stands out as the exception in my mind.
    +1 to that.

Tack on Mobile. Hit something on the nose, run behind your team, laugh as they fail to do anything.

I've mulled over a lot of different ideas:

Make them cooler in combat
    Use Shove/Grapple as a Bonus Action
    Intercept incoming attacks for an ally.

But none of them address the fact that Barbarians are pretty much locked into Athletics, and it's hard to justify more Athletics checks without punishing the rest of the team.

5th Edition Homebrewery

20. - Top - End - #50

WolfInSheepsClothing

Playing what you want is great, but can lead to problems if it doesn't have a minimum amount of synergy with the rest of the party (ie playing an evil character in a LG party). This also applies to mechanical synergy. If your group is sneaky and consists of a thief, shadow monk, and gloomstalker. You can synergize with them (ie a whispers bard) or you could complement them (a trickery cleric) or just fill a needed niche (dex dumping paladin). If you play for synergy, you can sneak along with the rest of the party and sneaky fun is had by all. If you play to complement them, you can't do what they can do (you make their sneaky shenanigans better) and usually they'll love you for it, but sometimes you'll feel left out (ie during a heist). If you play to fill a needed niche, then they'll rely on you when they need you, but otherwise they'll probably play to their strengths and not involve you.

It sounds like your party is more balanced than an all-sneaky party. So adding a bit more balance might be something the group is tacitly expecting?

21. - Top - End - #51

BardGuy

Sometimes 1, more often 2... but usually: 3. I let the dice decide our fate.

Just roll a die for the number classes (PHB is 12, Basic is 4) then roll stats -- random point buy if point buy is allowed. Later roll a die for archetypes ! It usually works fine.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravinsild View Post
    I'm in 3 live campaigns and I'm playing 3 Beast Master Rangers (lol). One is a wood elf with a panther, one is a kenku with a ranger (both archers) and one is a half-orc with dual-hand axes and the throwing weapon fighting style with a bear.

Rangers make *excellent* support characters so my healing has been invaluable as well as the flanking my pets provide, plus cool ranger tracking stuff, etc.

I've had a lot of epic moments. People probably don't think "support class" when they think Ranger, but boy howdy I tell you what we can fill those shoes.
    A sword or valor bard can easily fill in most roles in a party.... aside from a dedicated wizard/sorcerer... or mood druid.... and its so easy to just grab a level of warlock for agonizing blast that DPR is right there as well.

I personally will choose a role that needs to be filled, but as Ravinslid has said.... a ranger really can cover down on multiple rolls all at once.... like a valor or sword bard can.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by XmonkTad View Post
    Playing what you want is great, but can lead to problems if it doesn't have a minimum amount of synergy with the rest of the party (ie playing an evil character in a LG party). This also applies to mechanical synergy. If your group is sneaky and consists of a thief, shadow monk, and gloomstalker. You can synergize with them (ie a whispers bard) or you could complement them (a trickery cleric) or just fill a needed niche (dex dumping paladin). If you play for synergy, you can sneak along with the rest of the party and sneaky fun is had by all. If you play to complement them, you can't do what they can do (you make their sneaky shenanigans better) and usually they'll love you for it, but sometimes you'll feel left out (ie during a heist). If you play to fill a needed niche, then they'll rely on you when they need you, but otherwise they'll probably play to their strengths and not involve you.

It sounds like your party is more balanced than an all-sneaky party. So adding a bit more balance might be something the group is tacitly expecting?
    Yes, depends on the mix but FWIW until recently I only played AL and will be going back to that because the campaign I am in is as chaotic as any open AL setting about attendance and players switching characters between sessions.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Depends on the group. Historically speaking, if I'm coming to a new table where I only know the person who invited me. I play Monk, it's comfortable, not many players have seen it in action. It allows me to feel for the group, if their RP heavy, or Combat heavy. With a Monk PC I can excel in either.

Once I have an established group, it's usually playing what I want. I love exotic backstories, monstrous race PCs or Class/Race combos that don't feed each other. Then coming up with a backstory to fit it.

However we do have an upcoming CoS, and the DM said to show up to session 0 with 3 PC ideas (Race, Class & Background). Due to TPK'ing the last CoS from another DM, we're discussing options to play what we need.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by FabulousFizban View Post
    Play what you want, it is the DMs job to balance the game not yours.
    And quite frankly, if the DM isn't going to adjust the game at all to consider your party, then they should at least be up-front with the group that "To enter this dungeon, you'll need a tank, a healer, and 3 DPS."
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by False God View Post
    And quite frankly, if the DM isn't going to adjust the game at all to consider your party, then they should at least be up-front with the group that "To enter this dungeon, you'll need a tank, a healer, and 3 DPS."
    Or, you know, the gaming group as a whole can just agree that the world is the world and it's up to the party to decide not only what they play but what parts of the world they engage with or try to avoid/flee.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Or, you know, the gaming group as a whole can just agree that the world is the world and it's up to the party to decide not only what they play but what parts of the world they engage with or try to avoid/flee.
    Assuming that's possible. The DM is not required to run the sort of game the players want to play. If there is a mismatch of expectations and the party wants to play Something Else, they should have one of the party members propose running Something Else themselves. Not attempt to tell the DM "Well, you came prepared to run Game A, but we're not interested, so now you must run Game B."
    Last edited by False God; 2020-02-28 at 03:23 PM.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Someone please quote me if they do this too:

I have created about 4 characters in my spare time. I have fleshed out their backstory (a bit). These are characters I would LOVE to play.

Now that a new campaign has come up for me? I can pick any of the 4 and be totally happy. And I can base that pick on the role required for the group. I have a fighter tank Goliath who has a cool Viking esque backstory. A bardic merchant (which I am playing now). A sneaky sniper rogue assassin who is a smartass bent on revenge. And a cleric on a mission to set up health clubs and boxing gyms across the land.

29. - Top - End - #59

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
    Yes, depends on the mix but FWIW until recently I only played AL and will be going back to that because the campaign I am in is as chaotic as any open AL setting about attendance and players switching characters between sessions.
    Honestly, I cannot play AL myself. Every AL game I've witnessed or heard tell of seemed so bland and constrained by rules, it stifled much of the fun. It became Rules vs. Fun rather than Rules Facilitating Fun, and induced so many DM vs. Rules Lawyer arguments, which led to the mentality and gameplay of DM vs. Players that absolutely kills a campaign.
    That said, most non-AL games I've seen are also very very loose overall, with a threadbare storyline and more playing for laughs than playing for RP immersion and enjoyment. There's a healthy medium there between AL and Casual DMing that is far rarer than it should be, and is personally why I think many people don't enjoy D&D.

Quote Originally Posted by False God View Post
    Assuming that's possible. The DM is not required to run the sort of game the players want to play. If there is a mismatch of expectations and the party wants to play Something Else, they should have one of the party members propose running Something Else themselves. Not attempt to tell the DM "Well, you came prepared to run Game A, but we're not interested, so now you must run Game B."
    When it comes to the party's choice on what they'd like to play, it should not come down to the DM to fill the gaps where they need. On the other hand though, if your party of one fire themed wizard and two rogues are out adventuring, throwing a dragon at them that is homebrewed with a 120 ft Blindsight (and HB sneak attack immunity) and immunity to fire and blaming the party for not being well rounded enough is also straight up just a jerk move, speaking from personal experience.
    In 5e, for the most part, each primary role can be filled by any class. When a party all starts at level 1 and levels up at the end of Session 1, you're typically able to get a feel for party dynamic and party needs, then figure out your character and how they fit into that dynamic from there. If the party is stupid enough to go all in on one role however, they aren't gonna have a good time, no matter what the role is. I typically build my characters to fit a few different roles, even if those roles are filled already. This allows me to always have a fun and different role to play when I want to switch things up, as well as helps party balance overall.
    "There are truly only 2 sources of conflict: Miscommunication, and Intolerance. Of the two, only one is acceptable."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nagog View Post
    Honestly, I cannot play AL myself. Every AL game I've witnessed or heard tell of seemed so bland and constrained by rules, it stifled much of the fun. It became Rules vs. Fun rather than Rules Facilitating Fun, and induced so many DM vs. Rules Lawyer arguments, which led to the mentality and gameplay of DM vs. Players that absolutely kills a campaign.
    That said, most non-AL games I've seen are also very very loose overall, with a threadbare storyline and more playing for laughs than playing for RP immersion and enjoyment. There's a healthy medium there between AL and Casual DMing that is far rarer than it should be, and is personally why I think many people don't enjoy D&D.

Snip...
    TBH not by any means my experience in general.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn

Otto von Bismarck Quotes