Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default WotC 3.5E Archive taken down

This happened while the forums were away, but the archive.wizards.com resource has been taken down by Wizards of the Coast. Someone I was talking to on another forum reached out and got a message from the support team. They said basically "Unfortunately at this time the Archived content has been taken down. While we may elect to restore access to this content in the future we cannot guarantee a time-frame for this."

It went down without announcement or pomp. So I guess if you need anything from it, check the Wayback Machine and pray it's been archived.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: WotC 3.5E Archive taken down

I remember posting awhile back and finding that someone had been slowly downloading the whole thing. Hopefully now that the long dark is over, they'll pop their head in.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    I remember posting awhile back and finding that someone had been slowly downloading the whole thing. Hopefully now that the long dark is over, they'll pop their head in.
    There should be a stickied post on this forum with the archived archives available, so people can find that stuff when they need it.
    Tanuki in the Playground.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

It'd indeed be useful if someone had the entire archive available somewhere. I personally know that I've used the swiftblade and wild cohort with some regularity, so I tracked those down on the wayback machine to get an offline copy, but knowing about all the things I forgot about would be useful as well.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-02-22 at 01:03 PM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

5. - Top - End - #5

6. - Top - End - #6

Thanks for archiving what you did, it's a start, I guess.

There's a couple like the Swiftblade or the Kobold Races of the Dragon Web Enhancement that are Wayback Machine only for now. The Kobold Domain is just so interesting with its "go play in traffic" spell for 9th level (Transmute Rock to Lava). Some of the articles aren't really useful either, just there as fluff like the good ol' Manyshot Wizard vs Balor.

Ultimately, the art archive is just going to be the biggest loss.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

anyone have links to the wayback machine stuff?

edit: found the jackpot along my bookmarks
    Last edited by flappeercraft; 2020-02-22 at 01:57 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

I have this link to the archived home page, but you'd have to manually check each link for an archived version.

Alternatively, raise enough hell with the Wizards twitter accounts that they reopen it, if even for a limited time.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I have a lot of pages backed up on my computer, but some of them apparently got corrupted when I saved them, and I haven't gone through them to figure out which ones are still viable. I should probably do a cloud backup, though.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    Hopefully now that the long dark is over, they'll pop their head in.
    Petition for "The Long Dark" to be adopted as the offical desgination of said period.

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    I got some in PDF form in my sig
    Big fan of your Far Corners collection, and now it looks like we'll all be relying on the fruits of your labour quite a bit more.

The only thing I can contribute is this pretty darn obscure one on the wayback that has Raistlin's Frog (broken AF CL boosting item) and Sabar's Gazing Globe (broken AF Crystal Ball for Illusion Shenanigans)
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, there go my plans for a weird "legally free online only" gonzo-setting. Now it would just be SRD stuff, much less interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Don't know if it will change their mind at all, but I recommend that we all reach out and (politely) contact them via official channels, requesting that they put the 3.5 archives back up. Might be a longshot, but it certainly wont go back up if we don't show our support, and it only costs a few seconds for each of us to try.

Submit a support ticket here: https://dnd-support.wizards.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

And/or Tweet them @Wizards_DnD and @Wizards_Help

Anybody have an official email address, or do they do all contact through the support website?
    "I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want." -Rich Burlew, author of OoTS, and founder/owner of this very website you're reading this text on.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crichton View Post
    Don't know if it will change their mind at all, but I recommend that we all reach out and (politely) contact them via official channels, requesting that they put the 3.5 archives back up. Might be a longshot, but it certainly wont go back up if we don't show our support, and it only costs a few seconds for each of us to try.

Submit a support ticket here: https://dnd-support.wizards.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

And/or Tweet them @Wizards_DnD and @Wizards_Help

Anybody have an official email address, or do they do all contact through the support website?
    Thank you for that link.

Everyone who reports in to them, could you please request that they also allow for batch downloads for all of the archives, in case the official stuff is lost?

Here is what I asked them:

"The archives for 3rd Edition were recently removed. I (and a lot of other people) still use these resources. Would you please reinstate the archives, as well as have someplace where everything can be downloaded for our own personal use in case any of this is ever permanently lost? It would be an absolute shame if this part of gaming history was somehow lost forever. :("

Don't copy and paste that, just in case they think it's one person spamming lots of replies, but please toss your hat in with that general sentiment.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2020-02-22 at 05:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Petition for "The Long Dark" to be adopted as the offical desgination of said period.
    I agree.

That aside though, is there any reason why Wizards took down the archives? I really iked those, and still looked at several articles as neat things to reference when designing adventures and such.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

15. - Top - End - #15

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    I agree.

That aside though, is there any reason why Wizards took down the archives? I really iked those, and still looked at several articles as neat things to reference when designing adventures and such.
    No official word on that, so anything anyone would respond with would be speculation. Your guess is as good as mine, as they say. Nothing we can do about it aside from contact them to ask for them back.
    "I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want." -Rich Burlew, author of OoTS, and founder/owner of this very website you're reading this text on.

16. - Top - End - #16

Full text of the message I saw on reddit that support team gave was as follows. They gave no reason even in the response as to why they did it.

Support Agent (D&D)

Feb 17, 9:07 AM PST

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast Customer Support. Unfortunately at this time the Archived content has been taken down. While we may elect to restore access to this content in the future we cannot guarantee a time-frame for this. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

In any case, we appreciate you taking the time to write in with your feedback! I have gotten your feedback regarding returning access to the archived D&D 3.5 Content up to the appropriate teams for review. While I cannot guarantee any further contacts concerning your feedback, I can assure you that we take all feedback submitted to us very seriously.

I’ll be glad to help you further if you have any other questions or concerns!

(person’s name)
    Wizards of the Coast | Customer Service Representative
    Email support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week here.
    Last edited by Wildstag; 2020-02-22 at 06:33 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Somewhere, I managed to find a 1.67 GB .rar file that appears to have the vast majority of the content contained within. I haven't been through it all to see if it's truly complete. I think I got it from minmaxforum, but I'm not sure.

I'll see about putting together a torrent or something if other people looking come up empty-handed.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
    Somewhere, I managed to find a 1.67 GB .rar file that appears to have the vast majority of the content contained within. I haven't been through it all to see if it's truly complete. I think I got it from minmaxforum, but I'm not sure.

I'll see about putting together a torrent or something if other people looking come up empty-handed.
    Well, everything I've got is over 4 GB, so it's probably not everything unless it's .txt or other files without any pictures. Then again, .htm files aren't typically the most conservative format, so...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

*sigh*

Figured this would happen some day, why would WotC continue doing even one nice thing for us 3E players if they could avoid it?

I'll keep tabs on this topic to see what heroes have accumulated the archives. I totally slacked on doing it, sadly.

Thanks for letting me know.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

There are several files that just WILL NOT .zip up, no matter what I try or which programs I use. But here's what I managed.

[edit] Managed to get everything I've got into a .zip file in the end, so...
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2020-02-27 at 10:59 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Dude, you're amazing. Thanks for sharing that. Shame there's no images, so I'll have to lament the loss of those resources, but weirdly enough (and mind you I only checked the Cliffhangers pages) the art can be accessed. As an example from "Kingdom of the Blind - Noise and Motion", the map is still accessible. Which honestly confuses me. Did they just take down the articles and somehow leave up the art and other such files? Is there a more programming-proficient forumite that might be able to explain how this happened?

Interestingly, the Map of the Week folder does have the jpgs, but adventure module articles don't come with it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Spamalot in the Playground

Ugh, this sucks

The preview stuff like Archivist I don't mind them taking down so much, since it's just repeating stuff that's in the published books anyway. But some of the other things like the Mind's Eye archive could ONLY be found online. Meditant was the first handbook I ever made, and part of the reason why was because it was a PrC that any psionics user could read and use if they wanted to.

(Not trying to be a conspiracy nutter, but part of me wonders if WotC had a sinister thought along the lines of "the biggest active forum of 3.5 players, GiantITP, is offline! If we take the 3.5 archives down now there won't be nearly as much outcry! Quick, pull the plug Jenkins!")

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

I also shot them an email. I used a few of those for some really fun projects--it would be a true shame to see them gone for good.

I appreciate the Google Drive archive. Out of curiosity, do you have a list of pages that you were unable to include in that resource? If we can dig those up, I'm sure myself or another user could try and finagle the missing files into zipping properly.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    (Not trying to be a conspiracy nutter, but part of me wonders if WotC had a sinister thought along the lines of "the biggest active forum of 3.5 players, GiantITP, is offline! If we take the 3.5 archives down now there won't be nearly as much outcry! Quick, pull the plug Jenkins!")
    "I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences."
    --Elim Garak, 1993

I am likewise extremely saddened to see those articles go. So far as I know they were the only place where the Font of Inspiration feat was printed, among many other things.

A while ago I pasted the entire Shothragot the Ender Elder Evil article into a google doc. That's about all I could contribute to any archive.
    Resident Mad Scientist...

"It's so cool!"

Spoiler: Contests
    Show
    VC I: Lord Commander Conrad Vayne, 1st place
    VC II: Lorna, the Mother's Wrath, 5th place
    VC XV: Tosk, Kursak the Marauder, Vierna Zalyl; 1st place, 6th/7th place
    Kitchen Crashers Protocol for Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    But that's one of the things about interpreting RAW—when you pick a reading that goes against RAI, it often has a ripple effect that results in dysfunctions in other places.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

A few months ago I made an offline copy of the 3.5 archive for my personal use. I mainly wanted to do that to have access of the Consolidated Lists of like monsters and spells and whatnot. By accident, I backed up almost the entire archive in addition. This is an offline copy with most links available and usable (those of 2003 or less can be iffy). The archive.org version linked in this thread earlier will be more complete but this offline copy is faster for that want it.

The "Index" shortcut is the main link leading to the Consolidated Lists. I added a few extra shortcuts to lead to the main 3.5 Archive, the D&D Glossary and Feature Articles. Download links do work surprisingly. It's not perfect, but I feel this should cater to most people's needs. All of Mind's Eye is there and available for example.

Note: Not all links work (the big red "3.5 D&D Archive" button does not work, for example, use the shortcuts included to navigate or use the small "articles" link at the top of the page and scroll down to use the "Complete D&D Archives" at the bottom to start navigating to other articles. Shortcuts included are the easiest method though. :) ).

Hope this helps. :)

WotC 3.5 Archive, local offline copy

Edit: Link fixed!
    Last edited by soullos; 2020-02-25 at 08:01 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    I also shot them an email. I used a few of those for some really fun projects--it would be a true shame to see them gone for good.

I appreciate the Google Drive archive. Out of curiosity, do you have a list of pages that you were unable to include in that resource? If we can dig those up, I'm sure myself or another user could try and finagle the missing files into zipping properly.
    Good news! Because I didn't save the error report after the .zip file was done, I tried a "refresh and overwrite" function on the .zip file I had so I could get another error report, and for some reason Winrar decided that all the files were okay now. Reuploading now.

I don't know if that's everything, but it's everything I had.

[edit] And...done!
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2020-02-25 at 12:12 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Awkward View Post
    "I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences."
    --Elim Garak, 1993
    Garak was a wise man. I always liked him.

I've sent a support ticket and tweeted at them.
    Hopefully if we brigade them hard enough they will reinstate the archive.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

May we get a sticky post with the 3.x web archive link?
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Crichton View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Everyone who reports in to them, could you please request that they also allow for batch downloads for all of the archives, in case the official stuff is lost?

Here is what I asked them:

"The archives for 3rd Edition were recently removed. I (and a lot of other people) still use these resources. Would you please reinstate the archives, as well as have someplace where everything can be downloaded for our own personal use in case any of this is ever permanently lost? It would be an absolute shame if this part of gaming history was somehow lost forever. :("
    Thanks for the headsup and voice added to hopefully bring the archives back, and thanks to all the posters who have worked to archive content for sharing thus far!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

In addition to the web-archive posted above, there is the "PBMC Meta-Compendium", an archive of not only the WOTC pages, but also a large number of Min-max and TO-focused posts from the old MinMaxBoards, put together by PleaseBreakMyCampaign

http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=16929