New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Schools And Superpowers [IC]

Link to the OOC

Day one. College. You've moved out, living on your own (kinda-a dorm counts, right?) and ready for the big leagues. Ready for a fresh start. Ready for changes.

What are you doing, as you move in?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-02-22 at 02:45 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Schools And Superpowers [IC]

Xander moving in was...something of a sight. First there had been the argument with the cab driver about the fare, which had resulted in his belongings being unceremoniously dumped out of the boot and into the road - along with getting him a bit of an unwanted audience as bored students with nothing better to do watched from their windows. (He hadn't ended up having to pay the extra amount he'd been protesting about, so there was that, at least.)

As he'd been moving his bags out of the sidewalk, the eagle-eyed might have noticed a rather elegant-looking box, which was taped shut with duct tape and then tied shut with string for good measure in a decidedly inelegant fashion, in among his possessions. Xander himself had tried very hard to make sure no-one did notice it, grabbing it and stuffing it into one of his other bags, where it protruded awkwardly from one end because either the bag was really full or he'd packed it really inefficiently.

Now he was making his way towards his dorm room. Having decided not to leave his belongings unsupervised (nosy onlookers aside), he was carrying a suitcase in each hand and a bag under one arm. Xander being pretty strong and fundamentally not having that many possessions other than clothes and stuff, the weight wasn't much of an issue - but the bulk of his possessions was another matter, and he was currently making his way slowly down the hallway with a string of "'Scuse...yeah...sorry..." and the occasional less polite imprecation.

He stopped at the corner of a corridor that he was fairly sure he'd already walked through once. "Oh, where the hell is it?" he grumbled, to no-one and anyone in particular.
    "Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"

3. - Top - End - #3

Where's what? an oddly familiar voice asks Xander. And how you been, Big Daddy Vox?

When you turn to look and answer, you see a short woman-maybe 5' on the dot-with neon green hair. She's heavily tattooed, all in vibrant colors, and she's wearing bright green lipstick. 'Member me? she asks. Acid. I was at some of your birthday parties, and whatnot. Your parents figured I'd make a... positive influence on you.

As she talks, you see a corrections officer come up behind her, towering over her short form. "Positive influence, yeah, right. Amelia, I told you-use your name, not your moniker. Don't want you slipping into bad habits."

Aw, come on! He probably knows the villain name better than my given one anyway, she replies. When the officer just glares at her, she sighs, a bit sulkily, and says Amelia. Amelia Clarke-nice to meet you again, Xander. Been a while.

Show
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Come on, Tam. It's just 3 weeks, and I've already cooked enough that you'll have leftovers for three days. No, he is not hopeless, he's learning. Just give him a break Yes, I'll make it for you when I get home. Mmhmm. Just like... just like mum used to make, yeah. I love them too. Hugs and kisses and all that.

Tinsley sighs, then stares back into his computer screen. Chat has gone wild with the phone emojis, but then some pots and pans- for his comments about cooking, he reckons.

Ha ha, funny. Move three hours away and it doesn't matter because of cell phones. Next song request?
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-02-24 at 05:36 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, good. Five minutes here and I already find someone who 'knows' me. Just what I need.

"Yeah, uh, nice to see you again, Ac - or, uh, Amelia."
    The slip was deliberate - he vaguely remembered her but he couldn't have recalled her 'villain name' never mind her real one. But since she evidently knew who he was, he couldn't really just brush her off. Better to act like he was on her side, at least for now. "I was trying to find my dorm room. And beginning to feel like someone gave me bad directions," he added, irritated.

"So, uh..." He gave a kinda pointed, questioning glance towards the corrections officer standing behind Amelia, leaving the obvious question unsaid.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Come on, Tam. It's just 3 weeks, and I've already cooked enough that you'll have leftovers for three days. No, he is not hopeless, he's learning. Just give him a break Yes, I'll make it for you when I get home. Mmhmm. Just like... just like mum used to make, yeah. I love them too. Hugs and kisses and all that.

Tinsley sighs, then stares back into his computer screen. Chat has gone wild with the phone emojis, but then some pots and pans- for his comments about cooking, he reckons.

Ha ha, funny. Move three hours away and it doesn't matter because of cell phones. Next song request?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Where are you? I don't have a ton to go off from this post-are you in your room, having already moved in? I'm assuming so, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Llyarden View Post
    Oh, good. Five minutes here and I already find someone who 'knows' me. Just what I need.

"Yeah, uh, nice to see you again, Ac - or, uh, Amelia."
    The slip was deliberate - he vaguely remembered her but he couldn't have recalled her 'villain name' never mind her real one. But since she evidently knew who he was, he couldn't really just brush her off. Better to act like he was on her side, at least for now. "I was trying to find my dorm room. And beginning to feel like someone gave me bad directions," he added, irritated.

"So, uh..." He gave a kinda pointed, questioning glance towards the corrections officer standing behind Amelia, leaving the obvious question unsaid.
    I know my way around, don't worry. What's your dorm area? she asks. When you provide her with the info, she nods. Fourth floor, follow me.

She leads you to an elevator. When it arrives, after the people within disperse, it's quickly filled with your luggage, as well as yourself and Amelia. Oop, sorry buddy, no space. Take the stairs, why don'tcha? she says as the doors close on the officer.

"Hey, wait, you-" he starts before being cut off by the closing door. Finally! A moment's peace.

When you arrive at the fourth floor, you quickly move out, being caught by the corrections officer who's panting. You head into your room area, finding your part of the open dorm.

As you go, Tinsley can hear you moving in-the loud sound of wheels on the tiled floor, people struggling with heavy or awkward luggage, and all that.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

An odd thud echoes through the hallway with every step Misty takes. She makes for a rather odd sight, a slight teen carrying a cardboard box so wide it barely fits into the corridor, and tall enough to obscure her entire upper body. How she expects to actually get it into a room is almost as unclear as how she got it this far in the first place.
    "Five... no. Six... no."
    Every time she passes a door, she stops, carefully reads the number on it, pauses for a moment, and moves on, seemingly oblivious to the people behind her waiting to get passed her. Approaching Xander and Amelia, she trips, on what, it's hard to tell, and falls flat on her face, the box hitting the ground with an almost deafening crack. She stands, and glances between the two of them, tilting her head slightly to the left in confusion. "Ah, hello." She pauses for another few seconds.
    "Sorry about the noise, I tripped." It appears stating the obvious is one of her talents.
    Last edited by Modigar; 2020-02-26 at 02:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley had just finished a song when the sounds of wheeling and shoving and such outside in the hall grew even louder. He's really starting to miss the soundproof closet he usually recorded in. He checks the stream time.
    "Okay, I've been at this for two and a half hours and it looks like everyone else is finally startin' to move in. I'm gonna call that one the last song for now. Thanks for showin' up. Be sure to follow me on..."

He rattles off his usual sign-off, and just as he's finished closing down the stream, a really loud crack sounds out in the hall.

He sticks his head out of his room door.

"Alright, that one sounded particularly bad. Everyone still alive out here?"
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-02-26 at 04:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Despite himself, Xander couldn't help but smirk as Acid ditched her corrections officer. Once the doors closed, he glanced down at her. "So...are you, like...reformed now, or something?" He took care not to sound too hopeful.

---

When Misty crashed down in front of them, the air around Xander got...distinctly hotter for a few moments. It was kinda a reflex. By the time he'd relaxed and put one of his bags down to offer her a hand up, she'd gotten up on her own, so he just shrugged and picked his own bag up again. "The hell d'you have in there? The kitchen sink?"

He didn't offer to help her with her...giant box...or anything, though. Xander might have wanted to be a hero, but he couldn't really be described as the most selfless of guys when it came to mundane stuff. Besides, he had enough bags to deal with without helping someone else with their luggage too.

10. - Top - End - #10

I've changed, is the only answer you get from her in the elevator.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #11

RedWizardGuy

In response to Xander's comment, she stares at him. "No." she says, as though stating the obvious. "I was led to believe that the kitchens would already have them. Am I mistaken?" She pauses once more, before offering her hand to Xander and Amelia in turn. "My name is Misty. It is good to meet you. What are your names?"

12. - Top - End - #12

Acid, she says, sticking her hand out to shake.

"Amelia-"

Oh come on, it sounds cooler! What's the harm in a name? she cuts off the officer.

As more luggage is pulled in, you see someone poke their head out from one of the rooms. They look rather androgynous, with shoulder-length white hair and vivid purple eyes. Oh! Are you guys dorming here? they ask. I got here earlier. My name's Faye.

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Oh! Are you guys dorming here? they ask. I got here earlier. My name's Faye.

"My name is Tinsley," he says, slightly affronted at being ignored.

Should he be insulted or thankful that nobody had recognized him yet?

14. - Top - End - #14

RedWizardGuy

Misty turns around and offers a hand each to Faye and Tinsley at the same time. "It's good to meet you, Faye, Tinsley. My name is Misty. Do you two also reside here?" She glances at Tinsley, examining his face carefully. "You appear irritated. Have I done something to offend?"
    Last edited by Modigar; 2020-02-27 at 02:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Yes, they reply. And sorry about missing you earlier, Tinsley-I guess I just didn't hear you come in.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"Offend is a strong word," Tinsley says. "Just feel like since I've gone and stuck my neck out" - quite literally: only his head and one arm are actually out in the hall for everyone to see- "to make sure nobody's died in what I can only assume was the collapse of some invisible building, I should at least be entitled to some information as to what actually happened."

17. - Top - End - #17

RedWizardGuy

Misty nods. "That makes sense. Okay. I dropped my box." Somewhat redundantly, she points at the box that, even overturned, comes up to her knees. "It's heavy." She smiles pleasantly and continues, "No invisible building. Not that I saw anyway." A moment passes. "Or perceived by any other means." Her hands, proffered to Tinsley and Faye, still remain outstretched.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley finally steps out of the room and shakes the offered hand. "I have many questions, but as a strong proponent of minding my own damn business, I hope I never uncover that knowledge, for my own sake at the very least."

19. - Top - End - #19

As you talk, you hear a few muffled thunks from out in the hall.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, seriously, did I walk into the 'take things as literally as possible' dorm by mistake or something?

"God, how many people are dropping their damn luggage today?"
    Xander grumbled. Having dumped his bags in his own room, he gave Faye a vague nod of greeting, but otherwise mostly ignored them, wrenching open the door back to the hall to give whoever was out there making a racket an irritated glare (and definitely not in any way to hopefully interact with people who were more normal than the other inhabitants of his flat, Acid and Faye aside.)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley follows behind Xander.
    "Given how much stuff is dropping from other people, I'm actually wondering if I'm the one who's under-packed."

22. - Top - End - #22

As soon as you step out, you're hit by a wave of fatigue. It's not strong enough to really affect someone of your caliber-but it does explain why there's several people in the hallway passed-out on the ground.

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

"After all that talk about minding my own damn business, I really should have seen something like this coming."

Because really, once he learned that half his ancestors were famous for beguiling sailors and then dragging them underwater to their dooms, he really shouldn't be surprised by other such supernatural nonsense.

He approaches one of the downed victims and lightly taps them on the cheek, then takes a look around to see if he can spot what's causing the drowsiness.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

"Guess that explains the thumping."

Xander hung back and let the other boy try to wake the nearest victim - he wasn't exactly much of a medical expert, so beyond 'they're out cold' there wasn't a whole lot useful he could contribute. "I haven't even unpacked yet," he grumbled, more to himself than to Tinsley, as though finding everyone outside the flat unconscious wasn't that remarkable. "This day sucks."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Well if it helps any, you can just lie down right now and have an excuse. I got here almost 6 hours before everyone else started filing in and all I've really done is make my bed and get my laptop set up.

26. - Top - End - #26

The other student does not wake up when nudged.

Spoiler: Tinsley's Perception
    Show
    You spot, out of the corner of your eye, something outside the window.

Show
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #27

RedWizardGuy

Misty follows Tinsley and Xander out into the hall, and glances down at the various unconscious people. "That's odd. People don't normally go to sleep at this time of day. Or in the hallway. I don't suppose either of you know why they'd do this?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Post Re: Schools And Superpowers [IC]

Tinsley isn't even aware that he was followed. Between that and the mysterious whatever he'd just seen taking up his attention, Misty's words startle him, and he jumps a bit when she speaks.
    "Jeez! Need to put a bell on you or something. In any case..."He points out the window.
    "I have a distinct feeling that it has something to do with whatever's outside there. Anybody have the Campus Security number?"
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-02-29 at 03:56 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

RedWizardGuy

Misty nods seriously. "So noted. I do not have the campus security number however. Do you know where they are? I could fetch them. If this is abnormal, I believe they should be involved." Eyes following Tinsley's fingers, she walks over to the window and looks out.
    Last edited by Modigar; 2020-03-02 at 04:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Taking a closer look outside, you see something quite odd. It's on four spindly legs, suspending an orb in the center that pulses with a dim glow. Looking at it makes you feel tired.

Show
    Show

Show