New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Extinction Curse- The Show Must Go On!

Vorgrok pauses in his medical efforts to respond to Giggles' self-therapeutic scream with an irritable glance. Sighing heavily at the scrapes and bruises that persist, he hops heavily off of the edge of the dais to lumber over to where the gnome is jabbering at a barricaded door.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    A muffled voice responds to Giggle's yells. "Yes, please! Uh, no! I'm Father Drend! I would much appreciate being released, if it's safe!"
    The dwarf listens with narrowed eyes.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Perception check to Sense Motive? (1d20+8)[18]

Edit: If Vorgrok thinks that it's safe, he'll stow his weapon and begin to clear the barricade, showing no great care for the inanimate items nearby but obviously making sure his friends aren't in the way of the heavy slab.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2020-09-21 at 12:18 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tessara stays out of the way as Vorgrok begins the heavy lifting, but calls out in what she hopes is a reassuring voice. "Hold on - we're going to get you out! There was a monster out here but we've dealt with it. Is anyone else in there with you?"
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

3. - Top - End - #333
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Pip's curiosity overcomes his wariness, and he joins the others in front of the door. After all, if the creature wanted this priest inside, it stood to reason that he should be let out.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Firbolg in the Playground

Done with her meditation, Keshkaru stands, and comes to examine the blocked door, Ozkrak in tow.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-09-23 at 08:59 AM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

With Vorgrok muscling aside the pedestal, it's impossible to hear any responses from the other side. As the door opens, it's immediately clear why.

Standing- or mostly standing- in the wide doorway is a very abused, crossbow-wielding man, obviously garbed in the vestments of the clergy.
    Spoiler: Father Drend
    Show
    https://i.pinimg.com/564x/08/11/35/081135fe6908c5a48df443e86242d905.jpg
    Exhausted and badly injured, the man nonetheless is obviously relieved to see you. "Oh Thank you, and thank Abadar and the other Gods. I've been trapped in there for hours!" The man's several injuries are immediately apparent, as he wearily makes his way out of the vault- for indeed, behind him lie rows and rows of hundreds of lockboxes. "Some horrible hunchbacked... demon burst through the door! Two flying fiends and a pair of masked men in tow. I... I couldn't stand against them and only just managed to escape into the vault. I knew Abadar would never let his most sacred sanctum be defiled, but I didn't think they'd block me in."

He takes a moment to survey the chapel and has to visibly compose himself in order to continue talking at all. After a moment, he straightens up and raises his chin nobly. "Still, order will prevail over this depravity!"

6. - Top - End - #336

Goblin

Well what they've seen with their own eyes clearly supports Father Drend's story, but it still doesn't make sense to Pip yet: "Do... Do you know why? Surely demons don't just show up in a little town like this without any sorts of warning signs!"

7. - Top - End - #337

NecromancerGuy

Giggles gets out of the way as Vorgrok starts clearing the way. "Oh, I guess we are doing this without talking to him first, then.." he mutters as he watches for a moment. When the door opens and the injured priest steps out he looks for only a moment before pulling out his first aid kit. "Vorgrok - let's give him a hand binding those wounds," he says as he gets ready to help the steady-handed dwarf.

When the gnome's eyes drift past the priest to see the lockboxes they grow wide. "Wow! That's alot of cash! Is that why you hid in there - to protect it all? I'm not sure it would be worth it, but I guess I can understand..." he says, licking his lips as he sees more money in one place than he has ever imagined. "With all that money, couldn't you guys have hired some better security to protect it?"

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

The priest seems a bit taken aback by Giggles' comments. He glances into the vault with something of a rueful expression and considers his words for some time before answering. "Abadar's sanctum is traditionally a vault," he begins by way of explanation. "The people of Abberton have... not been overwhelmingly gracious with their outpourings of support, as of late. It was not for love of riches, but confidence in my God that I took shelter inside." With another long sigh, he admits, "Most of them are currently empty."

He returns to the task of righting the place, as Pip prods gently. "I don't know anything yet," he admits unhappily. "But I would be pleased to see these interlopers brought to justice! Wait..." For a few moments, he stares at the table and scales confused. "Would you hand me those papers? Those, scattered there in the front few pews." The priest peruses several of the ruined pages, and doesn't appear to find whatever it is he's looking for.

"Interlopers and thieves!" he finally cries in exasperation. "They stole our most holy texts! I had thought them destroyed, but this might even be worse! They were here, in their place on the altar, but none of these pages are from them!" He turns to you, suddenly filled with zeal and anger.

"If you can bring those fiends to justice and recover my books, I'll gladly offer you these magical items- from my personal belongings- as thanks. It's not coin, but there's precious little of that to go around right now." He reaches into the folds of his robes to withdraw a brooch on a chain and a small onyx figurine of a dog, offering them outstretched to whichever hero is closest to the altar.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    He'll explain that it's a brooch of shielding and an onyx dog wondrous figurine.

9. - Top - End - #339

NecromancerGuy

Giggles pauses as he is about to place a bandage on the injured priest and watches in confusion. "Um...how long have you been in there?" he asks at first. Then, continuing he says, "When we arrived all we found were three monsters - two outside engaged in graverobbing - or perhaps corpse-eating...I'm not sure there is a term for that, cause it isn't cannibalisms since they clearly weren't from around here - and the big one in here tearing up the place. We didn't see anyone that could have been thieves. What do these 'holy texts' look like?"

10. - Top - End - #340

While Ozkrak wanders about the nave in search of something to eat, her master listens to the conversation quietly. Not versed in Abadar's holy tenets, she's just heard a bit about the sacred nature of money and vaults, but doesn't quite understand the point. Anyway, this priest seems most disturbed about the theft of his texts. The iruxi is puzzled that the man's first reaction is to propose a payment for their retrieval. It's as if doing this as a simple act of kindness isn't the natural thing to do? She puts these thoughts ought of her mind - if a reward is offered, she isn't about to turn it down, and who knows, maybe giving it would make the priest feel better.

She nods. "Desecration, tomb robbing, destruction, and now theft. This tells us we will find more of these perpetrators. Let's see if we can find any clue about where they went." She goes around the temple, checking for traces.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+8)[12]

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tessara listens quietly as the priest explains his situation. "Father, the church of Abadar wouldn't have any conflict with the followers of Gozreh, would they? I ask because the demon we just fought was wearing the vestments of his clergy, although clearly no longer human. What would bring an acolyte of nature to a church of civilization and wealth? Just what is in those holy texts, exactly?"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

The priest, despite his wounds and exhaustion demonstrates the patience and disposition of most clergy. "They came in near first light this morning. I was readying for morning prayers when they entered, and one of the men attacked me with a candlestick!" He falters more than a little at Giggle's mention of corpse-eating, however, blanching and falling silent for a few moments.

"Eating the dead, you say? I..." he takes several breaths, succeeds in calming himself and asks, "Did you defeat them as well? Two of them? Hmmm... I would like to see what remains of these defilers. It may help us understand their motives." He seems surprised that Giggles doesn't already know more or less what a holy book would be, but nonetheless he gives a detailed description of the tomes, the color of the leather used in their bindings and the various orders of ritual and teachings kept within.

"There is no such church in Abberton, miss. Though Abadar and his followers get along well with most anyone- anyone you'd see in civil society anyway." He follows her train of thought to the cloak left by the deceased demon. "I see," he mutters, frowning. "I suppose we do have conflict with them, obviously, though I'm at a loss as to why."

Keshkaru busies herself with the immediate surroundings. It doesn't take long before she inspects the door leading westward on the other side of the dais. From within, she can clearly hear the sounds of high-pitched laughter and breaking glass. Apparently, whatever is inside is being too loud and careless to even notice the battle in the nave.

13. - Top - End - #343

Goblin

"It never ends..." Pip mutters under his breath. "You might want to duck back into that there vault father, looks like your visitors are still making themselves at home." Pip prepares his bow in one smooth motion that is quickly becoming all too familiar.

14. - Top - End - #344

NecromancerGuy

"Oh no...I'm largely out of any sort of real magic, guys. I will try to encourage everyone, but otherwise the best option I have is my whip - I will try and disarm or trip any enemies down there..." Giggles says as he readies the long leather bullwhip he carries and takes a sip of water from his waterskin.

15. - Top - End - #345

Keshkaru, intent on finding what's going on, doesn't hear her friends. She raises her clawed hand, "Shhh. More trouble. Father, what's on the other side of this door?"

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tessara tilts her head in a pensive gesture, straining to hear the sounds Keshkaru mentioned. "Whatever's over there - do you think we could capture it? If we could force it to answer a few questions it might be the quickest way to find out what's going on." She gulps. "Er, as long as it speaks, that is."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorgrok raises an eyebrow at the disheveled priest, but listens impassively. Apparently nonplussed by the description of the events and uninspired by the proffered baubles, he meanders over to where Keshkaru lurks by the door. Grunting his agreement at the unusual noise, his hands drift toward his sledge...

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, just simple storage," Drend replies blandly.. "Vestments for different seasons, decorations, candles, uh- quite a bit of lamp oil, actually..." He takes on a more concerned expression and steps further away, as two and two make four in his mind.

19. - Top - End - #349

NecromancerGuy

Giggles laughs, awkwardly and uncomfortably, at the mention of flammable oil. "Maybe we should get down there before something is set on fire," he quietly says with a nervous expression. "Fire can be fun, but too much of it burns..."

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tessara's eyes widen in recognition. "You don't think they mean to... burn it down, do you?! Come on, we've got to hurry!" She leads the way through the western door to discover the source of the noise.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #351

Goblin

Pip takes his eyes off the door long enough to glance around and try to get an idea of just how much of the building's components are flammable, should something go wrong.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Pip is relieved to see primarily stone materials, though the overhead girders and joists are all wooden. Still, he and his companions recognize a potential problem when they see it, and move quickly to intervene.

The door wasn't locked, and opens easily as Tessara presses. Inside, she finds a small room, as the priest said. A tiny, winged figure flits from barrel to crate to chest and back again, cackling gleefully as it tosses anything and everything it finds into a haphazard pile in the middle of the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    As rolled in OOC:

Keshkaru gets to act first, followed by Pip and Vorgrok.

Then the baddy will go (if it's alive), then we'll go block init.

Map updated

23. - Top - End - #353

All her life, Keshkaru has always detested wanton destruction. Her own people have so often been the victims of such behaviour! Her furious reaction is uncharacteristic of her: In a burst of purposeful anger, she moves into the room to stand right next to the intruder, and as she does so, her neck frills flares up, tripling in volume in a bright display of its crimson color, while the orange spines on her back stand up menacingly. "YOU! STOP!" But she has no intention of giving the flying little monster a chance to parlay. A powerful sweep of her tail reaches up to attack the creature above her!

Spoiler
    Show
    #1-2 Threatening Approach: Stride to T8, then Intimidation to Demoralize: (1d20+6)[10] (if successful, the opponent is frightened 2)
    #3 tail Strike (1d20+7)[18] bludgeoning damage (1d6+3)[6]

Spoiler: Stats
    Show

Keshkaru
    Female Iruxi Druid (animal order), Level 2, HP 24/24, Speed 25
    Medium humanoid (Frilled Lizardfolk), Animal Wrangler
    AC 17, Fort +4, Refl +4, Will +10, Perception +8
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 14
    Senses: Baseline
    Attack, Claw +7 (1d4+3 slashing, agile)
    Attack, Tail +7 (1d6+3 bludgeoning, sweep)
    Attack, Sling +4 (1d6+1 bludgeoning, propulsive)
    Athletics +7, Diplomacy +6, Intimidation +6, Nature +8, Performance +6
    Focus Points: 0/1
    Conditions: None

Ozkrak
    Female Raptor (dromaesaur) Animal Companion, Level 2, HP 10/22, Speed 50
    Small Animal
    AC 17, Fort +6, Refl +7, Will +5, Perception +5
    Ability bonuses Str +2, Dex +3, Con +2, Int -4, Wis +1, Cha 0
    Senses: Low-light vision, scent (imprecise, 30 feet)
    Attack, Jaw +7 (1d8+2 piercing, finesse)
    Attack, Talon +7 (1d6+2 slashing, agile, finesse)
    Acrobatics +7, Athletics +6, Stealth +7
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-10-08 at 10:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354

Goblin

Pip is on the same page as Keshkaru with respect to any chance of civil discourse and opens fire the moment this latest looter comes into view.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Action 1: Attack with bow (1d20+8)[16], damage (1d6)[6]
    Action 2: Attack with bow (1d20+3)[18], damage (1d6)[1]
    Action 3: Attack with bow (1d20-2)[18], damage (1d6)[1]

Show
    Pip
    Level 2, HP 19/28, Speed 25 ft.
    Small Humanoid (Goblin), Artisan (Tailor)
    AC 19, Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +6, Perception +6
    Abilities Str +0, Dex +4, Con +1, Int +3, Wis -1, Cha +2

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Wasting little time on words or other subtleties, Vorgrok roars his approach, sweeping the sledge recklessly at the winged figure!

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Action 1: RAGE!
    Actions 2 and 3: Sudden Charge to move up to 2 times into range and attack. Preferring flanking positions (but not assumed in rolls).
    Attack: (1d20+8)[20] for (1d12+10)[17] damage

Show
    Vorgrok Giantforge
    Level 2 Neutral Neutral Dwarf Barbarian. Speed 20 ft, Medium Humanoid (Rock Dwarf), Rigger
    AC 17, Fort 7, Reflex 4, Will 7, Perception 7
    Rock Dwarf Heritage- +2 vs shove/trip/prone effects, half forced movement over 10 ft
    Dwarven Darkvision
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
    HP 25/38 (+3 temp)

Conditions:
    Clumsy 1 (-1 to Dex-based DCs/checks) while wielding Large weapon.
    Demon bite attack: -1 to Cha-based skills for 1 day (lulz)
    RAGE! +6 damage, -1 AC, +4 temp HP

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps in line with the party's desires, the destruction in the store room briefly spikes to previously unseen levels before suddenly ending entirely.

All three heroes, quick on their feet, dash into the small quarters and utterly demolish the little quasit Bludgeoned by tail and hammer and pierced with a trio of arrows, it's cruel and vapid destruction comes to a screeching halt. After a few moments silence, the priest peeks through the door curiously. "No fires? Well that's certainly for the best. I- ah, if you'd like, there's a few vials of sanctified water in that chest, just there-" he indicates a small container, thankfully largely undisturbed. "You're welcome to a few of them, if you plan to continue helping us like this. Just leave me a couple in case they come back?"

In the chest, you find 7 vials- two of them broken, but the other 5 remain sealed and contain a small, dense dose of holy water.

"Ah, thanks!" He adds, sheepishly, obviously both pleased that his church isn't ablaze and a tad uncomfortable with the scope of things he's been forced to witness today.

27. - Top - End - #357

NecromancerGuy

Before Giggles can even react to the little flying creature it's dead, and the gnome yelps in surprise at Vorgrok's hammer smashing the enemy loudly. When it dissolves and leaves no body behind the little blue man says, "Ew...that's really gross..." before yelping again in surprise when the priest of Abadar speaks from behind him.

Giggles takes one of the flasks of holy water with a quick, "Thanks!" and then walks back up the stairs and out of the church. There he takes a big breath, looks around for signs of danger. Seeing none he sits down heavily on the steps to the church and stares into the distance, letting his mind wander as he tries to handle the horrible things he has just seen. When the party finds him he has dozed off and is drooling on himself as he leans into the side of the stairs...

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tessara strides into the room with motes of arcane energy swirling about her fingertips, the beginnings of a spell, only to see the conflict end as suddenly as it began. "Oh. Um, good work! Is everyone ok?" She pockets one of the offered holy water flasks with a murmured thank-you to the priest.

"Now, where were we? You said this all started this morning, father? And there were no demands, no premonitions - these monsters just showed up and started destroying the chapel?" At his confirmation she nods and turns back to the others. "Well, how should we proceed? The followers of Gozreh would be an obvious choice. Although, if this happened to the church, maybe we had better check that the rest of the town is safe, first. What do you think?"

At some point she notices that Giggles isn't participating in the conversation and goes to look for him, finding him passed out on the steps up the church. "Oh, poor Giggles! Psst, Vorgrok - do you think you could..." she indicates lifting the little gnome up like a baby, lowering her voice so as to try and let him sleep.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #359

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "Well, how should we proceed? The followers of Gozreh would be an obvious choice. Although, if this happened to the church, maybe we had better check that the rest of the town is safe, first. What do you think?"
    I absolutely agree! Pip chimes in. "They may have come to steal, but they certainly stopped to smell the flowers too, who knows what else they're ransacking?" Pip furrows his brow in thought for a few moments. "Father, were these holy texts they stole unique to this building? Did they contain any information that the typical follower of Abadar wouldn't be privy to?"

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Father Drend considers the questions briefly before answering.

He turns to Tessara, nodding. "That's right, miss. They pretended to be worshipers just long enough to get inside. It... It got very confusing very fast. Honestly, I just thank Abadar that I managed to survive.... There was another one of those flying creatures," he adds, frowning. "I hate to think what he'd be up to if all this carnage is the work of only one of them! Would you mind checking the rest of the church grounds, just to make sure he's left? Certainly, see to the rest of the town, as well. All things considered, you've already done quite a lot for me."

He turns to address Pip, listening courteously. "Uh, not unique, exactly, but close to it. A handful of the more devout citizens have their own copies, but these two were ornately engraved in silver on the covers, with a leather band- inset with platinum...." He goes into great detail regarding the identifiability of the lost books, reassuring you that you won't be misled.

He glances down to the vestments of Gozreh, set aside as evidence for the moment, frowning. "We've never been close, but I never would have expected this from them," he muses. "I pray the hermits are alright, though it seems likely otherwise...."