New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Extinction Curse- The Show Must Go On!

Tessara releases another blast of energy, felling the demonic worm, and radically changing the tenor of the battle.

The rest of the party fights back ferociously, swarming the final combatant with the enthusiasm only near-death experiences can bring. Vorgrok, in particular, delivers a pair of brutal blows, pounding into the chest of the false man.

In turn, this laborer does the same thing you just saw his companion do. The hideous rending and tearing of flesh lives little recognizable of what once may have been a man, and within moments a pulsing worm writhes in its place. (All players have Frightened 1)

The creature snarls and lashes out at Vorgrok with its many-serrated mouth. In the aftermath of its freakish molting, the stagehand is slow to react, and pays for it. Bleeding profusely, Vorgrok collapses under the weight of his injuries (and begins Dying.)

Party to act
    Map updated

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

Keshkaru recoils in horror at the sight of the demonic monster, and Ozkrak looks startled as well. Seeing her dwarf friend fall, she almost kneels down to check on him, but a glance behind tells her that Gigglespit is already calling upon more of his healing magic. Instead, she renews her attacks, coordinating with her companion for best advantage.

Spoiler: round 3
    Show
    Attacks include Inspire Courage and Frightened 1 for a net effect of 0 to attacks and +1 to damage.

Keshkaru
    #1 Command Ozkrak to move and attack
    #2 Tail Strike (1d20+6)[24] for (1d6+4)[9] bludgeoning damage
    #3 Claw Strike (agile) (1d20+2)[3] for (1d4+4)[8] slashing damage

Ozkrak
    #1 Stride to Z13
    #2 Jaws Strike (1d20+6)[14] for (1d8+2)[8] piercing damage.

Keshkaru's and Ozkrak's AC is down 1 from the Frightened effect, but this ends at the end of her turn.

3. - Top - End - #273

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Gigglespit's Status, Round 4
    Show
    Gigglespit Baderiggo Humbleback
    Chaotic Good Gnome Bard, Level 1, HP 10/18, Speed 25 ft.
    Small Humanoid (Fey Touched Gnome), Circus Born
    AC 17, Fort 5, Ref 6, Will 5, Perception 5
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 18
    Conditions: Frightened 1

"Vorgrok!," cries Giggles, frightened that his companion is already dead. "Hang on - don't be scared, we're still with you! It's going to be alright!"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Cast Soothe to give Vorgrok (1d10+4)[6] HPs of healing and +2 vs mental effects for one minute.

Cast Inspire Courage to give everyone +1 to attack rolls, damage rolls, and saves against fear effects.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tessara's dark features lighten in briefly in terror which quickly fades to anger. "I said, Go! AWAY!" she cries as she unleashes a final barrage of arcane energy at the remaining demon.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Stay put and use last spell slot for another 3-action magic missile:
    (3d4+6)[10] force damage (including +3 from inspire courage I forgot earlier!)

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 15
    HP 14 / 14
    Fort +3
    Refl +3
    Will+ 5
    Perception +3
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-08-19 at 08:36 AM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

5. - Top - End - #275
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Despite having already witnessed the transformation once, Pip can't help but flinch back in disgust. Such an abomination could not be allowed to exist. Standing up from behind the gravestone he fires on the creature again and again.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Fear and courage cancel on rolls to hit.
    Action 1: Attack V1 (1d20+7)[13] to hit, (1d6+1)[5] damage
    Action 2: Attack V1 (1d20+2)[20] to hit, (1d6+1)[4] damage
    Action 3: Attack V1 (1d20-3)[3] to hit, (1d6+1)[7] damage

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 18
    HP 8 / 19
    Fort +4
    Refl +9
    Will+ 4
    Perception +4

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorgrok rises unsteadily to his feet, casting bleary eyes about the graveyard. "Wha happ'n'd- oh." he grunts to himself before resuming his desperate swings toward the inhuman foe.

Show
    Action 1: stand?
    Action 2: Attack!
    Action 3: ..moar attack!

Attack 1: (1d20+8)[23]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[12] bludgeoning

Attack 2: (1d20+3)[7]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[13] bludgeoning

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    AC: 18 HP: 6
    Fort: 7
    Reflex: 5
    Will: 7
    Per: 7

Inspire Courage: +1 atk/dmg/fear saves
    Wounded (1)
    Soothe: +2 saves vs mental effects, 10 rds
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Finally, shuddering under the flurry of so many blows, the worm demon collapses, oozing ichor into the stony path between the headstones.
    End of combat.

Nothing else stirs in the graveyard, but the heroes trying to catch their breaths, as more questions than answers arise from the aftermath.

8. - Top - End - #278

NecromancerGuy

"Alright, what was that!?" exclaims Giggles, as his eyes nearly bug out of his head looking at the ooze flow into the rocks. "I mean, I get that we are investigating something bad, but this is too much! Do you think there is even anyone in the church, or is it going to be worse in there than out here?"

9. - Top - End - #279

Goblin

"I've never seen anything like this in all my days, it's like something straight a nursery tale to keep the little ones in bed at night." Pip says as he pokes around in the ichor. "whatever we were planning before, we certainly have to check the church now, although it may be a good idea to do a little cautionary scouting first... I don't know if we can handle too many more of these awful things"

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I hope there's no more!" Tessara exclaims, wiping a bead of sweat from her brow. "That took almost all of the magic I can muster. If there are any more demons, we'll have to see how much they like my knife-throwing routine... Oh!" Her attention suddenly snaps to the rest of the party. "Vorgrok, you're hurt!"
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281

"That wasn't good at all." Her apparence as unemotional as ever, the iruxi speaks calmly, but her dorsal spines are erect, very straight and rigid. "Something really bad is going on here. We will need all our strength. Please gather round, I shall implore the spirits of nature to help us."

She takes her ceremonial weed bundle and begins to chant softly.

"L'esprit du ruisseau calme
    Prend pitié des corps souffrants,
    Viendra apaiser nos âmes,
    Effacera nos tourments."

A wave of sweetness flows away from her, and everybody in the groups breathes a little easier.

Spoiler
    Show
    3-action Heal over the whole group (1d8)[2]

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "Vorgrok, you're hurt!"
    "Hmph." grunts Vorgrok noncommittally. The lines at the corners of his eyes lessen slightly at Keshkaru's ministrations, but he groans slightly as he reaches around to rummage through his pack for a loose bundle of cloth, unrolling it to reveal a simple set of healers' tools. He reaches out one arm, wincing as he assesses a cut across one bulging bicep.

Show
    Working under the assumption that I can assume Vorgrok to have Healers' Tools (didn't handle equipment properly earlier in character creation) I'm going to have Vorgrok attempt a Medicine check to heal himself:
    (1d20+5)[21] vs DC 15 (Assuming no unusual mods)

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As the group bandages its collective wounds Tessara, unhurt, looks anxiously around the grounds. "What were those things, and what were they doing here at this abandoned temple? I have a bad feeling... I think we'd better go inside and check it out, don't you?"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284

NecromancerGuy

"Yeah...probably should," mutter Giggles. "Vorgrok, your hands look steadier than mine - can you help me out with a bandage too?" the blue gnome asks as he looks at the church unhappily.

Show
    I would appreciate a use of the healing kit. My modifier is only +3, though. Help?

15. - Top - End - #285

While Vogrok takes care of his wounds, Keshkaru goes to inspect the open tombs. What were these monsters up to?

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Keshkaru's inspection yields only more grisly information. The creatures were apparently making use of their disguises to poach. As you look more closely, it becomes apparent that you're in the youngest part of the graveyard- still more than a couple years old. At any rate, they were tearing into the most recent burials and eating whatever was left of the deceased. A surprising amount of... flesh remains, given the dates on the tombstones, but then you have never inspected a buried corpse 3 to 10 years later.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"What is th-? Oh. Oh no... no, I- huuuurgh!" Upon seeing the grisly remains Tessara has to turn and noisily deposit the remnants of her breakfast behind a nearby headstone. It is a few moments before she regains herself, trying with all her might to pretend like nothing happened.

"Well - phaw - Vorgrok, Giggles, how are you feeling? If you're up to walking I think we'd better check out the inside of the temple." When the rest of the group is ready to follow she leads the way up to the old wooden doors, and will attempt to open them.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-08-27 at 05:55 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288

Goblin

Pip is not taking any chances this time and kneels back slightly from the doors with his bow ready.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Yeah...probably should," mutter Giggles. "Vorgrok, your hands look steadier than mine - can you help me out with a bandage too?" the blue gnome asks as he looks at the church unhappily.
    Vorgrok looks over his handiwork, the stitches over the cut blending into the scarred reminders of past injuries, most involving slipped beams, snapped ropes and other occupational hazards of a tent-raiser and striker. Grunting noncommittally, he turns to the gnome, sizing up his injuries and getting to work.

Show
    Medicine roll to treat wounds: (1d20+5)[18]
    Healing done if successful: (2d8)[8]

After seeing to his companion's wounds, the dwarf lifts his legs, then kicks them downward to roll up into a standing position. Returning his heavy sledge to its strap across his back, he trudges over to the disturbed graves, scanning them with a distasteful expression, one lip raised in disgust. Without a further word, he turns to follow Tessara to the church's wooden doors, eyeing them appraisingly, one hand creeping toward his sledge, not yet nestled into its normal cant from the few steps.

20. - Top - End - #290

NecromancerGuy

Giggles sits as still as he can while Vorgrok applies the medicated bandages and thanks him for his efforts with a smile and an unashamed hug. "Whew, thanks! That feels better already!" he says as he look to the other PCs as they approach the church building. As his expression falters he gulps and follows them to the door. With his whip ready he takes a spot behind Vorgrok and Keshkaru but in front of the others and begins visibly sweating...

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

While Vorgrok mends the worst of Giggles' injuries, a handful of townsfolk meander by. Apparently, things have been weirder here than initially divulged- they don't even stop to ask what's going on before hastening on their way. Perhaps most surprisingly, no one even approaches the broad face of Abberton's only church. Very strange times, indeed.

The party mounts the front steps from the side, the street to their right, the facade on their left. Two stained glass windows flank the broad wooden doors, spilling multicolored, bizarrely fractured light onto the porch through their broken images. The northern window once depicted Abadar in brilliant gold and blue, though much of the glass has since been spilled on the wooden deck. The southern appears to have been a pair of crossed golden keys, similarly vandalized. Peculiarly, the spillage is on the front of the church, indicating that the windows were broken from within.

The door itself is strained and splintered. It hangs limply ajar in the late morning light.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Eyes narrowed in deep suspicion, Vorgrok motions the others back from the heavy wooden doors. He lifts his sledge, using both burly arms to nudge the already-ajar door inward, peering inside for signs of life... or some other source of movement.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2020-08-28 at 08:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293

NecromancerGuy

"What do you think is in there?" asks Giggles, a little too loudly to be truly quiet, but obviously trying. "You don't think it is something worse than those two back there, do you?"

24. - Top - End - #294

"It's very possible that it's something worse. It is clear that something very bad has happened to this place of worship." While her own faith is as alien to Abadar's tenets as can be, with its ideals of civilization advancement and money as a measure of all values, the iruxi still recognizes desecration when she sees it, and that makes her deeply unsettled."Something that can defile a temple and devour corpses may be capable of doing the same to nature and people next. I have to stop it. Can we enter now?"

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Whatever it is, if it looks like it wants to eat us I'm blasting it," Tessara grumbles from the rear of the group. "Come on, let's go! Anything is better than this not knowing!"
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Vorgrok nudges the door open into a horrible disheveled nave. It's filled with long wooden pews marred by deep claw marks. Tatters of what were once comfortable cushion of gold velvet lie forgotten where they were strewn, feather stuffing now spilled on the floors and benches. Paper and leather that were once books have been yanked from their shelves and torn apart, their glossy pages mixing with the rest of the accumulated mess and vandalism.

A chancel at the west end of the nave features an altar in front of a magnificent mural of Abadar and other gods doing battle with the monstrous Rovagug. The heavy altar itself seems to have withstood the creature's assault, though the cloth of gold covering, scale, and ledgers have all been damaged and cast about.

The source of the destruction is immediately obvious, as a horned figure is actively defacing the mural. It is sufficiently distracted by its work that it hasn't yet noticed you.

map updated

27. - Top - End - #297

Goblin

Pip acts quickly, hoping to make it inside before the creature, whatever it may be, notices that the door is now more open than it already was. With light feet he scampers between the splintered boards of the door and makes a beeline for the cover of the nearby pews.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sneak check to try and get inside and safely hidden behind the nearest pews: Stealth (1d20+7)[23]

28. - Top - End - #298

Keshkaru notices the creature and its lack of reaction. She holds her breath and stops moving, leaving it to the less ponderous members of the group to advance without raising an alarm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Keshkaru doesn't move, and tries to Recall Knowledge to gain an advantage on the creature. It's a secret roll and she has Nature +7, Religion +4, Arcana or Occultism +0.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-08-31 at 08:43 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tessara's breath catches in her throat at the sight of- whatever it is. She turns to the others with an I told you so expression and soundlessly mouths, Blasting. It! She prepares to cast a spell, waiting for the others to indicate their readiness.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Gigglespit's Status, Round 1
    Show
    Gigglespit Baderiggo Humbleback
    Chaotic Good Gnome Bard, Level 1, HP 18/18, Speed 25 ft.
    Small Humanoid (Fey Touched Gnome), Circus Born
    AC 17, Fort 5, Ref 6, Will 5, Perception 5
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 18
    Conditions: None

With a gulp Giggles swaps his whip for a dagger and nods to show he is ready...

Show
    Interact with whip and dagger to swap them out (two actions, I think).

If allowed, he would prepare an action to cast Inspire Courage to give everyone +1 to attack rolls, damage rolls, and saves against fear effects when the party is no longer being stealthy.