New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Extinction Curse- The Show Must Go On!

Vorgrok grunts noncommittally at Giggles' retelling of the brief encounter. The burly dwarf gently sets the business end of his sledge on the ground, allowing its weight to steady the wooden shaft into a balanced, upright position. He looks up into the trees, where Keshkaru had jumped to safety, and raises both arms, enormous palms held upward. With a questioning expression, he waits for the lizard-woman to decide whether to accept his offer of aid.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

Keshkaru hangs for dear life, fully certain that falling off her precarious refuge would spell her end from trampling by the beast's hooves. Then, in a heroic effort, Vorgork takes the monster boar out! She lets go, only to fall in the dwarf's generously extended arms.

"Thank you, my friend. I owe you a life", she says simply, once she's back on her feet. "Sorry about the blood all over you."

Still dizzy from the blood loss, she sits on the ground. Ozkrak scuttles over, and begins to softly lick his mistress' wounds. She grunts: "Don't worry, you big sissy. I'll survive."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-12-01 at 10:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Pip's muscles relax as it seems the immediate threat is gone and he settles onto his tree branch. They couldn't take much more of this, while he personally had remained relatively unscathed through all of their numerous confrontations, the same could not be said for the others.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "...Isn't there a show again tonight?"
    Pip is surprised at the reminder of the circus, the show from the previous night seemed so long ago it may as well be a different world. What were they even doing hunting boars when demons could be terrorizing their camp at this very moment!

"We should go back and make sure that those fiends haven't visited the camp!" Pip calls down to the others, "Besides, you're looking pretty rough! We're in no shape to be heading out even further. then, pausing for a moment: "...Also, I want to cook that pig"

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "Thank you, my friend. I owe you a life",
    Vorgrok grunts noncommittally, but nods his acknowledgment of her words.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "Sorry about the blood all over you."
    The earthen-brown skin of the dwarf's face is suddenly split by the appearance of a broad, lopsided, and toothy grin. With a helpless shrug, the dwarf turns his own gaze upon himself, absently brushing at the most obvious splatters of boar blood that cover his burly limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DeVermis View Post
    "...Also, I want to cook that pig"
    Vorgrok's grin broadens further, and he raises one meaty fist to laughingly cheer, releasing a gravelly "Haha!" into the relative quiet of the orchard.

5. - Top - End - #425

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DeVermis View Post
    "...Also, I want to cook that pig"
    "Yeah! Bacon!" cries Giggles as he goes to try and help move the massive animal corpse. When it proves to dramatically outweigh him, the little gnome glares at it angrily and stomps his foot. "Um...help?"

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I admire the enthusiasm, Giggles, but I think that's a bit much for you to handle." She nods to the fallen boar. "Vorgrok, if you would? If you want to help, Giggles, give me a hand with Keshkaru here." She moves over to help her bloodied companion rise to her feet. "That's it... easy does it... Now. The sooner we head back the sooner we can get you patched up, and get Pip his bacon. Come on."
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

7. - Top - End - #427

NecromancerGuy

"Hey! Some of that bacon's mine too!" cries Giggles in semi-mock anger at Tessara's description of 'Pip's bacon.'

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

With some notable effort, the party manages to contrive a skid from some of the downed and dead branches in the orchard. Thus equipped, the transportation of the boar becomes a manageable task, if not an easy one. They earn only a little attention from the townspeople for their antics- more a result of the unusual vehicle than anything else. Still, the people of Abberton are polite enough to keep stares to a minimum (though the children openly ogle the bright blue Gnome), and comments on topic.

Back at the campsite, The Professor and the rest of the carnies eagerly welcome you back, equal parts interested in making stories of your exploits and bacon of your spoils. Before long, one of the campfires has been significantly increased, and the cooks have fixed a grand iron spit from extra tent poles. Thus, you find yourselves at or near a large fire with The Professor, still demonstrating his keenness with all the right questions. "These, uh, demons. What did they look like? You say the creature disappeared? And it was wearing the vestments of a Gozren priest? That can't bode well. Well, when master Abber comes back from his visit, we'll know more..."

9. - Top - End - #429

NecromancerGuy

Giggles smiles and waves at the children, skipping and juggling and making a show of their attention. As he revels in their laughs and smiles he seems to feel his spirit lifted and his antics get more and outlandish. It's only when the party leaves sight of the children that he calms back down (relatively speaking). "Have any of you heard of 'rubber?' It's this thing that comes out of some trees in the jungle, sap I guess, that can be used to make balls and stuff. Well, I heard of a man who once learned to blow air into the stuff, sort of like an inflatable sack...If I could get ahold of some of that, I'll bet I could make animals or something out of the shapes. Kids would love it!"

10. - Top - End - #430

Having recovered somewhat from her ordeal, and with her wounds covered in bandages, Keshkaru sits quietly, and does her best to answer the Professor's questions. Every few minutes, she throws a piece of raw boar meat to Ozkrak at increasingly challenging distances and angles. The raptor seems to enjoy the game and the treats in equal measure.

"Demoniac creatures, they were, all right. The first ones we saw had defiled several tombs. They looked and talked like men at first, but they weren't. They were giant worms, and they... lived inside the dead mens' skins, I guess one could say.

Then, inside the temple, we fought a horned demon, bent on destroying the place. Legends of my people call that an abrikandilu. A very dangerous thing. But when we killed it, it vanished, leaving just some clothes behind.

Then we found two very small, nasty, winged ones. They were looking for destruction too. The first one was alone, the other... had companions... Strange, very small, face of a dog, carrying tiny swords... They seemed to be having a negotiation with the flying one, but we interrupted the conversation..."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-12-04 at 11:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorgrok sits, staring more or less directly into the fire. Aside from the occasional wordless grunt and several corroborating nods at Keshkaru's description, he is more or less silent.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tessara nods along as Keshkaru relates the encounter at Goldenlaws' temple, interspersing a minor correction or elaboration here and there. When the story is concluded, she turns back to the Professor. "There hasn't been any more trouble around here, has there? Something strange is going in in Abberton, and I think it's connected to those followers of Gozreh..." She shakes her head in irritation. "Did the Mayor say when he was coming back? I feel like it's important we get to that hermitage, as soon as possible! Well," she casts a glance at the wounded iruxi, "once Kesh is feeling better, anyway."
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

13. - Top - End - #433

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "These, uh, demons. What did they look like? You say the creature disappeared? And it was wearing the vestments of a Gozren priest? That can't bode well. Well, when master Abber comes back from his visit, we'll know more..."
    "What all do you know about that religion professor? It seems than its more than us at least!" Pip questions, large rivulets of bacon grease running down from the corners of his still-full mouth.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

The Professor nods sagely, listening calmly as Keshkaru describes the groups' various findings. "Yikes, sounds like this got much more dangerous than we really thought, and fast!" He gently allays Tessara's concerns. "No, no. Other than Samus' little one maybe breaking his toe on a tent peg this morning, it's been blessedly quiet." He shakes his head at the antics, but it would be a strange day for a 6 year old boy to not find some minor trouble.

He laughs quietly at Pip's question, shaking his head self-deprecatingly. "I've been telling stories for a long, long time," he admits. "And you don't get that good at it by accident. I've heard many tales of the Gozrens, and their affinity for the wilder aspects of the wilds. Nearly never see one in town proper, and then only when they've got a darned good reason. This sounds... much worse. If they've begun consorting with demons or even devils.... Well, I don't know a lot about those in earnest, but they're not natural as I understand the word." He frowns thoughtfully. "In the meantime, I'm sure this Drend fellow was more than pleased to have your help today. Perhaps you should see to the other folks in town tomorrow? Surely the mayor will return by then, and we can ask him more about this hermitage!"

15. - Top - End - #435

NecromancerGuy

Giggles listens to the Professor speak with the distraction typical of his demeanor. He catches a few of the ideas and then seems to wander off, mentally, until the end. "Yeah, I would like to see these hermits, just to see what's going on here..." he says, with a tone of voice that suggests he wasn't really listening but means to sound like he was...

The little blue gnome helps to lead the circus show again that night, seeming to be more confident and effective, in spite of the day's terrors. After the show he is more reserved than usual, until he wanders off to his hammock to fall asleep, instantly, and snore the night away.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorgrok nods sagely at the professor's words. He grimaces at the comments about devils and other unnatural evils but is otherwise not particularly moved.

As the casual meeting seems to have ended, the burly dwarf rouses himself from his makeshift seat (an overturned crate which seems ready to splinter beneath the sheer density of its occupant) to approach Keshkaru, healing tools in hand. "Mmm?" he says, gesturing toward what scrapes and bruises remain visible on her scaly skin.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Is the assumption that healing happens repeatedly overnight and we just assume full recovery or what?

17. - Top - End - #437

Gratefully, Keshkaru entrusts Vorgrok with the care of the wound she received from the boar's tusk. She flinches slightly when the dwarf's big, calloused hands remove the bandages to inspect her scaly skin, but "Mitts" proves to be surprisingly deft and gentle. All that doesn't stop her from continuing the conversation, however. "Until the mayor's return, we should look into the other problems he asked us to help with. The missing people especially. There's the sheriff, first. Our own Bearded Man said the Muggers might have something to do with her disappearance. There's this house called the Mad Mug, we could go take a look tomorrow. And then, there's the miller and his family. The home is empty, Tahala said. But we should be ready to face attacks from wasps? One thing is sure, if I didn't manage to make friends with a boar today, I'm not going to be able to with wasps tomorrow..."

Spoiler
    Show
    I did a bit of digging up the thread. Our characters would remember this information even though it's well over 6 months old for us players. The relevant posts are #203 and #227.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

As the evening wears on, the heroes take a break in their adventuring to put on a show. It's as well received as the night before, though many of the attendees are the same as the night before. There's some clear anxiety in Abberton, and the circus has proven already to be a welcome reprieve from the troubles of life.

After the show, around the fire, Tessara leans back, upset, gnawing on a chunk of roast boar. She hefts the meat, gesturing gratefully to Vorgrok. "I- I have say, this is what I'm meant to do. I love you all, and I'll be happy to help if I can, but I don't think my heart can handle the stress of going toe to toe with demons and rampant boars!" She shakes her head sadly, before taking another bite. Chewing on the side of her mouth, she mutters out the other side, "I'm sorry." Without more comment, she rises and makes her way to bed.

The professor watches the exposition with a thoughtful frown. "I kind of suspected she was made for a different kind of excitement," he admits to the remaining heroes. "But I do have an idea." He turns to Pip in particular. "You know Sipher, of course. I bet he'd be a good fit. He never did seem quite satisfied, making inks and minor pyrotechnics. Would you run and fetch him?"

Pip dutifully obliges and before long, returns with a Halfling you've all seen at work with the stage hands and costumers. "Ah, welcome, Sipher! If, uh. If you've a mind, I've got a proposition for you..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So Sipher is our newest player- hope you don't mind my railroading to bring him along!

19. - Top - End - #439
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Sipher does his best to maintain his composure and avoid seeming too eager to jump at whatever opportunity is being hinted at. He sensed in the back of his mind that whatever came next would finally allow him to realize his full potential, whatever that may be. His thoughts then wandered to the concoctions he had already begun practicing in secret, and he wondered if they may finally be of some use. In his continued efforts to seem level-headed to the rest of the group he replies with a simple ""I am willing to hear you out at the very least."

20. - Top - End - #440

NecromancerGuy

Giggles watches Tessara walk away from the party with an expression that suggests he doesn't really understand that she is backing off from their adventures. It isn't until Sipher arrives and starts speaking that he seems to realize what has happened. He looks sad for a moment and mumbles, "Better to have her safe than loose her to some monster, I guess..."

Turning to Sipher the blue gnome smiles broadly and says, "Hey, buddy! Is this where you share with everyone that you've been experimenting with the chemicals? Or was I not supposed to say that...?"

21. - Top - End - #441
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Hey, buddy! Is this where you share with everyone that you've been experimenting with the chemicals? Or was I not supposed to say that...?"
    Vorgrok raises one eye questioningly (but not suspiciously) toward the halfling.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Realizing that perhaps his experiments hadn't been as stealthy and secret as he thought, Sipher reaches into a secret pocket on his shirt and pulls out a small notebook. Inside is a short catalogue of alchemical formulas he has learned but not yet had the chance to use for fear of his true hobby being exposed. "This isn't exactly how I would have revealed this - in my head it would have been far more dramatic - but yes I suppose this is where I tell you about my experiments." Sipher quickly shuffles away to his living quarters and promptly returns with a small chest. He opens it proudly revealing a series of small vials of various shapes and sizes. "So far I've managed to make these, but haven't yet had a chance to try them!"

23. - Top - End - #443

NecromancerGuy

"Oooooh! How exciting!" cries Giggles as he rushes over to look - a little too closely. When the little gnome nearly trips into the chest, just barely missing it, he stands up and puts his head down, embarrassed. "Sorry about that...I'll stand over here, far enough away not to break any of your stuff..." he says as he steps away and turns to watch.

24. - Top - End - #444

Keshkaru's apparent reaction to the revelation of Sipher's experimentation in alchemy is characteristically muted. Inside, she still carries a bit of reluctance with that field of research, the result of the depredations she has seen from humans, including practioners of the same art, in her tribe's ancestral territory. But she sets that painful past aside for now, and instead asks straightforwardly: "What can they do?"

25. - Top - End - #445

Goblin

Pip watches with great interest as Sipher shows off the contents of his chest, following more carefully behind Giggles to get a better look. He personally had no experience with such potions but he recognized that excited glint in Sipher's eye. He could already tell that they were going to get along quite well.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

The Professor listens patiently while Sipher and the rest of the carnies-turned-adventurers make each others' acquaintances. He chuckles, after his heart rate comes back down when Giggles probably almost kills everyone, nodding encouragingly at the uncharacteristic degree of self awareness displayed by the little Gnome.

After several minutes, when the talk dies down, he speaks up. "Well, I'm glad you're here, and I'm even more glad to give you an experimental outlet... significantly distant from our tents and wagons!" He smiles warmly, laughter in his eyes, for a few moments. As he begins to explain the situation, he takes on a much more serious demeanor, however. "The truth is actually pretty somber," he admits. "You know Myron's dead. You surely know about the little lady we discovered who was responsible for it- she seems to have genuinely turned a new leaf, by the way. She might actually end up traveling with us, when we leave. Gods know she can't stay here. But at any rate, there seem to be some... significant issues going on in town, proper."

When he has your attention, he largely repeats the issues most of you have heard before. "I spoke to Father Drend this evening- he's still shaken, but extremely grateful you came along when you did. When we get to report your success with dinner over there, the mayor will be relieved that the orchard is free of antagonists once more. That seems to leave the Miller's farm and the Mad Mug still to be looked into. I'll do my best to get in touch with the mayor tomorrow, but if you're still willing, it certainly didn't hurt ticket sales to have people so well disposed towards us tonight!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If you've got questions, this is the time. Otherwise, we can wrap up evening RP and move ahead to the morning, with either the Miller's farm or the Mad Mug as your first suggested stop. Welcome, @Pianoman! Hope you enjoy things! It's not exactly a breakneck pace, but for marathons, I understand slow and steady to be best.

27. - Top - End - #447

NecromancerGuy

"Let's get a good night's rest and bring lots of fire to deal with the wasps!" exclaims Giggles, looking at Sipher's collection of alchemical substances with undisguised excitement. "I'm sure Sipher can help us all have something, and we can smoke them out! Doesn't that sound like fun?"

28. - Top - End - #448
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorgrok grunts noncommittally at Giggles' enthusiasm. He eyes the crate of vials and liquids (and their owner) with a suspicious, aloof air.

"'Fun'? S'pose we'll see."

Nodding curtly to the professor, the dwarf trudges off in the general direction of his modest tent.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

A glint of excitement flashes in his light blue eyes and he grins, the only outward reflections of the utter glee he felt to finally be able to practice his true passion in the open. While he was always relatively certain this gang of misfits would be more accepting of his research than anyone else he had ever encounted, he wasn't totally certain. Now that his secret was officially out in the open he found that he couldn't care less at this point and - more than anything - was thrilled to finally be able to be more himself than he ever had been as a concoctor of food and pipeweed. This was the very reason he left his cozy home! Still, better not to let it all out at once. His self awareness cautioned him to keep his darker traits comfortably in the background for the moment and to let his nature be drip fed to his new companions. Nothing would be worse than to be shunned by this group, his last hope of finding something he could call family. As all this passed through his mind the small grin remained on his plump but hardened face. He closes the chest with dramatic flourish. "tonight let us rest. I promise you will come to learn the contents and effects of each of these experiments." His grin changes to a sly smirk. Sensing some of the apprehension on the faces of some of the others at the revelation of his craft he calmly states "I assure you all, they are quite safe."

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

The evening passes like most, mingling the day's excitement and satisfaction with tomorrow's worries as you eat and drink around the fire. Soon enough for some, and too soon for others, the time comes to sleep and rest for the day to come.

Surrounded by friends, you experience another night of safety in numbers, soundly slumbering until morning arrives in agreement with your habits. Quiet bustles of early risers drift through the camp as the carnies begin to go about their own business- practicing, training, breaking fasts, and the occasional actual item of commerce and exchange. Before long, the unlikely troupe has gathered, and sets out for the miller's.

It's a bit odd to carry lit torches through town as the sun's earlier rays shatter the gloom of night, but it seems prudent given the goal.

Easily identified by the grand milling wheel, the west half of the Hawftons' residence sits atop a small bluff, a few feet elevated above the milling floor. The rest of the building houses the wheel, where most of the work is done. Against the eastern wall, a fairly large, well-tended garden lies glistening in the morning sun. A significant amount of small bushes and shrubs have sprouted grandly, clearly serving equal parts hobby and food source. As spray rises from the small waterfall, it casts a faint rainbow over the wheel and garden. This is certainly a pretty place to live and do business.

Map time!