New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 520212223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Extinction Curse- The Show Must Go On!

It takes a good while until the freshly revived Keshkaru gets her bearings. She exchanges some affectionate grunts and croaks with Ozkrak, reassuring the raptor as to her good health - well, as good as can be with three holes in one's chest still oozing a little bit of blood. She thanks Vorgrok for another timely use of this medical talents, and stands up with a groan. Survived this one, thank the spirits.

She faces Castiel, and answers: "I understand your reluctance. I am not far from sharing it. But... Something bad happened, both here, and in town. If we don't help, then we might never be able to bring the circus back to these parts. I think it is worth trying our best. Maybe with a more cautious approach, next." The conversation is interrupted by the calls for help from a room nearby. She goes to investigate after Giggles, and finds two more townspeople.

The newcomers see a burly, scaly humanoid, clad in a crocodile skin vest. Her strong tail is adorned with a colorful quilt woven from marsh reeds, her scales are a dark olive-green, her face is snake-like with pale brown, reptilian eyes. This is an iruxi, a member of one of the small lizardfolk clans that inhabit islets around the Isle of Kortos. With such people, it is not always easy to guess the gender, but a learned person would say that her crimson-colored neck frill and orange-y, unusually long dorsal spines indicate a female. Coming just behind her is a small, sleek dinosaur, standing on two feet that end in large talons, with an elongated, blood-covered snout, beady eyes and sharp-looking teeth.

"Greetings. My name is Keshkaru, and this is Ozkrak. She usually doesn't bite, except when I let her hunt." The animal evidently tasted flesh just moments ago.

She considers Emaline and Baeranor's words. "Just the two of you? It is the tribe's bravest who come to rescue their folk. This is honorable, but this place is truly dangerous. We only narrowly escaped death ourselves. We should join forces. Let us look if we can find your things, and in the meantime..." She goes back to the eviscerated bodies of the mad druids, looking for anything these new friends could use in the interim.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

All of the fallen Gozrens carried tridents and bore simple hide armor. In the immediate, there's no sign of the duo's equipment.

Upon retreat to where you left the mayor in the guests' quarters, you find the man pacing the room, wringing his hands nervously. "Oh! Thank the gods!" he breathes, hurrying towards friendly faces as if he hadn't been sure waiting here was the right choice. "And who's this? You foun- is that- Baeranor? What are you doing here? I almost didn't recognize you, without a plow or axe handy!" He chuckles- perhaps a bit forced, his eyes continuing to flicker about uneasily. "I- are we well-met?" he finally stammers, propriety ultimately giving way to the terror that only life-threatening events can invoke.

3. - Top - End - #873

NecromancerGuy

"We are well met, Mr. Mayor, but we need to be going - we have not secured the entire monastery and are injured. Let's find a safe place to sit and talk while we lick our wounds - mostly metaphorically, though I am not familiar with the instincts of dinosaurs... anyway..." says Giggles as he insistently takes the man's arm and attempts to all-but-drag him towards the outside door. "It may be best for us to get you safely on the road to town for reinforcements, or at least to get you to safety, sir. I think we want to stay here to finish the work, make sure they can't attack your lovely town again. But that's no reason for you to be in danger, right? Heh...not that I like all this danger all that much either, but it's exciting at least!"

The gnome looks intent to get all the way out to the trail at least. Noting the outer storage shed he looks at it thoughtfully. "Think we should rest there? Or are our tracks going to lead them right to us, if they decide to come out looking for who killed all their buddies...?" he asks to no one in particular but all collectively.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorgok shuffles apprehensively behind Giggles as the gnome advances toward the unseen speakers, and his scrutinizing glare is distinctly less-than-welcoming. The stocky dwarf hovers roughly halfway between the doorway and Giggles as the latter advances to free the apparent townsfolk, but as the rest of their mismatched company begins to join the introductions, his wary demeanor lessens somewhat.

He strokes his fiery orange beard thoughtfully as the talk with the mayor turns to lodgings, something like relaxation entering the dwarf's posture for the first time in the monastery.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

5. - Top - End - #875
    Bugbear in the Playground

While trudging out of the hermitage, Baeranor stopped to take a trident from one of the fallen fanatics, pausing only to grunt as he inspected the weapon. However, upon being greeted he smiled, even though it pained him through split lips, "Mayor Abber, it is good to see you on your feet, when Master Humbleback here said they had found you, I feared you injured or worse." He paused, noting the other's a lizardfolk, with some sort of raptor, reminding him of a hunter and their hound, then there was the broad shouldered dwarf, with hair and beard the color of an anvil's coals.

"Huntress Keshkaru, and Ozkrak, my thanks for the part you played in freeing myself and Ema here from our captivity," he nodded to the stoically, silent dwarf, "and you Master dwarf. While our captors may have robbed me of my dignity, they did not steal from me my faith, or my compassion. Are any of your companions injured, surely Old Dead Eye will spare a glance our way?" As he spoke he fingered a pendent, that was graven with an elk-bone bow, with arrow upon the string.

Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show
    Baeranor will use Lay on Hands, healing the most injured among 12 HP's, and then attempt to refocus, if we have a short respite.
    Spoiler: Bink's Extinction Curse
    Show
    Baeranor, retired Knight of Last Wall
    AC: 15 | MAX HP: 47 | CURRENT: 47
    FORTITUDE: +9 | REFLEX: +5 | WILL: +8 | PERCEPTION: +6
    FOCUS POOL: 1 | CURRENT: 1
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.
    CONDITIONS: None.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorgrok perks up slightly as the newcomer asks about existing injuries. Shuffling awkwardly toward the older man, the dwarf hooks one of his thick thumbs at a shoulder, where hasty (and perhaps clumsy) battlefield stitches strain to hold together the edges of a deep cut, with a tiny red rivulet working its way down through the dust and grime of combat that covers his muscular chest. "If y'd be so kind...?" he rumbles out tentatively.

7. - Top - End - #877

As the group settles down for rest, introductions, and planning their next move, Keshkaru gratefully accepts Baeranor's help. "I am thankful for the Elk Father's blessings", she says simply. "This fight exhausted most of my ability to call on the spirits for the rest of the day, and I agree we should seek a place to rest."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure how much healing Castiel was able to give Keshkaru, but I think it likely she still has missing strength even after Baeranor's LoH. On the other hand, Ozkrak wasn't hurt in the fight.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-07-27 at 04:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

The goblin pokes his head in now that introductions are being settled. He bows, "Thwap Hardskull, professional entertainer, at your service. I to am somewhat the worse for wear after our recent endeavors."

9. - Top - End - #879

Baeranor nodded to each in turn as they lined up, their wounds raw, and in some cases, still bleeding. He tried to greet them each in turn, "Master Dwarf, you seem to have done a reasonable job on the wounds, all things considered." He placed a large, calloused hand against the wound, and intoned a solemn prayer to Erastil, "You are well and good Master dwarf, and again, I thank you for your effort on behalf of the people of Abberton. Through your suffering we are free, and for that you have my gratitude."

As the Iruxi woman spoke, respectfully, of Erastil, he smiled, nodded, and again, placed a rough hand upon the woman's wounds. "I am pleased that your companion, at the least, was not injured. Your faith and reverence will please the spirits of earth, forest, and stone, and the respect your show to old One Eye, speaks highly of your character."

And finally the goblin came forward, Baeranor nodded, "Thwap Hardskull," he checked the performer's head for injury, "it seems your moniker is well and truly earned." He appeared uncomfortable as the goblin bowed to him, "I appreciate your respect, but a simple hand shake will do." He extended his hand to Thwap, and clasped it with his left, letting the healing energies of Erastil flow through him as he did.

Then, he turned, addressing the group, "Emaline and I left, in search of her father, my brother in arms from a time long past. While I may need to arm myself, I consider it my duty, both to Emaline, and her father, to see this through. And so I would ask to join you in this task."

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    As a reminder, there's a 10 minute refocus between each usage. So everyone gets 12 hp's, if we're camping for a full hour, I've got 3 more usages to hand out to get folks closer to max hp.
    Last edited by Zen Gypsy; 2022-07-27 at 07:55 PM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #880

NecromancerGuy

Giggles leads the party towards the storage shed, hoping to find it still unoccupied and available for all of them to rest and recover before entering the monastery again.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

Thwap takes whichever watch is convenient.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

The party steps away, leaving unlocked hermitage doors behind them. "Any port in a storm" takes on new meaning as you step into a veritable deluge of rain and ocean spray, water rising from below and falling from above in equal measure. Familiarity with the narrow ledge leading hence brings a wary expression to the mayor's face as he struggles even to see that far in the rain.

Equal parts desperation and relief are tangible among the group as you file into the relatively safe shelter of the outer shed. Despite the squawking of noisy seabirds that roost in the rafters overhead, you quickly find yourselves at relative ease. The accommodations are nowhere near even the spartan chambers the hermits once maintained for honored guests, but they're dry (once you give outer garments time to hang), and the wagon clearly hasn't been used in a few moons, leading you to believe it's unlikely you'll be disturbed.

Almost immediately, mayor Jae Abber devolves into trembling sobs. It takes several minutes of quiet ministrations to sooth him, giving you plenty of time to wonder about the depths of injury you can't see beneath the nasty bruises that cover most of his arms and torso. Finally, he stammers "I just can't believe Harlock would let it come to this...." Every word comes only with substantial effort.

"He's maybe my only real friend. It's hard, you see, being mayor of a failing town. Harlock and I were always able to discuss the challenges of leadership candidly. There's... Just no way he's courting with these demons! Please, I know we're all desperate to get away, but there's something very, very wrong here. The hermits have always been cool and aloof, but to attack me for simply asking to meet my friend? I don't... I don't understand..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    First, feel free to take a long rest. Do whatever you need to do to confirm that we're at level 3 (though our newcomers haven't found their "normal" equipment, there are plenty of serviceable implements and tridents from the shed and fallen retainers).

Secondly, sorry about the bananas that was August. Thank God my kids are back in 2-a-week school, so I anticipate occasionally having something that resembles free time again. O_o

13. - Top - End - #883

NecromancerGuy

Giggles cannot sleep - though he deeply wants to try - when he sees the Mayor break down. Going over to the bigger man the little gnome tries to take the other's hand in his two, much smaller hands, and firmly hold them. "I'm sorry, Mr. Mayor, that you've been so badly hurt. We will try to go back and find your friend, but we have to rest now or we will just become another set of victims. What can you tell us about all of this that might help? If it helps you to grapple with all this, that's good too..." he asks, a bit awkwardly but fully genuine in his desire to help the other to manage his emotions.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+9)[25] to try and calm the Mayor down, help him to get a grip, and then tell us more about either the layout of the monastery and/or his friend Harlock.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Gypsy View Post
    "Master Dwarf, you seem to have done a reasonable job on the wounds, all things considered." He placed a large, calloused hand against the wound, and intoned a solemn prayer to Erastil, "You are well and good Master dwarf, and again, I thank you for your effort on behalf of the people of Abberton. Through your suffering we are free, and for that you have my gratitude."
    Vorgrok nods brusquely, seeming more embarrassed than emboldened by the compliment, but he breathes a sigh of relief as the wound begins to knit itself together under the man's ministrations. With a curt bow, he backs away to allow room for the others in need of aid to receive it.

The burly dwarf shuffles after Giggles into the mingling of waters from above and below, seemingly unperturbed. In matter-of-fact fashion, upon having staked his unspoken claim upon a dry-ish nook in the shed, he begins to peel away the outer layers of his work leathers, and he begins to work at his linen undergarments before voices of new acquaintances remind the dwarf that he's not merely among fellow carnies. Settling instead for a re-positioning of his remaining clothes, the dwarf tosses himself unceremoniously to the floor to rest his head in thick-fingered hands, staring up at the crude rafters above.

The beginnings of his relaxation are quickly shattered by the mayors dissolution into tears, and the dwarf turns a thick-browed gaze upon the mayor. It's unclear from his weathered features what emotion inspires the furrowed brows, but his gaze doesn't linger long after Giggles moves to assist, turning instead to stare unseeingly upward.

15. - Top - End - #885

The old man, after summoning Erastil's nurturing energies, nodded slowly, listening both to the gnome, Humpleback, and the mayor himself. "Jae, you know me well enough to know that my pledge is my bond. I've already given our saviors my word that I'll help them in this endeavor, and it's unlike that we'll be retreating. They are wounded, and we need a moment to gather our strength." He looked towards Emaline, concern writ clear in his good, clear eye.

As Baeranor settled down for the night, he took to cleaning, and muttering prayers over the fallen cultists weapon, trying to determine the most suitable one for him to use until he could reacquire the gear he had initially brought with him to the mountaintop. Selecting a trident, testing it's heft, he finds some leaves, takes a handful of ash from the campfire, and intoning a prayer to Old Deadeye he begins to purify the weapon and dedicate it to his cause.

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: I will continue the Lay on Hands / Refocus train to get everyone to full HP's, then select a Trident, and summon my Divine Ally into it, giving it the Shifting Rune, which I will then use to shift it to a Battle Axe, a weapon Baeranor is far more comfortable hefting. Secondly, any armor these guys have? Currently running around in my skivvies, and that's kind of weird. Also, any shields available, to at least help until we find our own gear?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

It takes some time and effort before the mayor is really able to control himself. It quickly becomes apparent that his concern in this situation runs very deep for both the town relying on him to manage it and the sake of his friend's wellbeing. Still even if he wanted to head back to town, a quick peek out the door of the shed makes clear that travel from the cliffside opening would be outrageously bold, perhaps reckless.

So, with nowhere to go, and plenty of time, you're able to soothe Mayer Abber, and manage to begin a fairly amicable conversation. "I don't know much about the layout," he admits unhappily. "One of the rooms right off the foyer is fairly well appointed. Harlock usually has me lodge there; it's... a delicate thing to invite outsiders to a hermitage in the best of circumstances. I was once allowed to join him in his chambers for a meal, but had to be blindfolded until I was 'securely in his quarters.' It was strange, but I didn't want to make his followers unhappy either. I could tell he was risking some pushback, as it was."

"Harlock is a good man," the mayor offers, simply. "He has read many portents and warned for a time about the coming famine. It seems to be worse, and more pervasive than he envisioned, and I'm not surprised tensions are running high. Still, I... He always met me at the gate. Something is very wrong, and I fear he may need help as much as anyone."

17. - Top - End - #887

NecromancerGuy

Giggles nods as the Mayor speaks and continues to encourage him to calm down and rest. "I'm hoping that once he's calmed down a bit that the stress of this entire mess will catch up and he'll be able to sleep some," he confides quietly to anyone else listening to the bigger man, the blue gnome's face serious but hopeful. "Honestly, we all probably need the rest..." he admits with a yawn as he tries to settle down and get comfortable in the rustic shed.

18. - Top - End - #888

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Gypsy View Post
    "I am pleased that your companion, at the least, was not injured. Your faith and reverence will please the spirits of earth, forest, and stone, and the respect your show to old One Eye, speaks highly of your character."
    Keshkaru isn't too comfortable discussing faith with humans, considering that such conversations are likely to end up touching on her and her tribe's history and culture, a complicated topic that doesn't show humans in a favorable light. But she recognizes that the man is simply trying to find common ground. She nods, and awkwardly lets the subject pass.

Similarly, she's happy to let the ever-talkative Giggles deal with the mayor's discombolulation. She simply comments: "Tomorrow. A new day to bring renewed strength, and favor from the spirits. Tomorrow, we shall explore further, to understand what happened here."

Grateful to see that Braenor's powers restore everyone to full health, she turns to Ozkrak, making sure the raptor is well-cleaned and well-fed prior to turning in to sleep.

Spoiler
    Show
    She can take any turn to watch. Blessedly, PF2 rules allow for interrupted rest without inconvenient impact on spell recovery.

Spoiler: Stats
    Show

Keshkaru
    Female Iruxi Druid (animal order), Level 3, HP 35/35, Speed 25
    Medium humanoid (Frilled Lizardfolk), Animal Wrangler
    AC 18 (shield down), Fort +7, Refl +5, Will +11, Perception +11
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 14
    Senses: Baseline
    Attack, Claw +8 (1d4+3 slashing, agile)
    Attack, Tail +8 (1d6+3 bludgeoning, sweep)
    Attack, Sling +5 (1d6+1 bludgeoning, propulsive)
    Athletics +8, Diplomacy +7, Intimidation +9, Nature +9, Performance +7
    Focus Points: 1/1
    Conditions: n/a

Ozkrak
    Female Raptor (dromaesaur) Animal Companion, Level 3, HP 30/30, Speed 50
    Small Animal
    AC 18, Fort +7, Refl +8, Will +6, Perception +6
    Ability bonuses Str +2, Dex +3, Con +2, Int -4, Wis +1, Cha 0
    Senses: Low-light vision, scent (imprecise, 30 feet)
    Attack, Jaw +8 (1d8+2 piercing, finesse)
    Attack, Talon +8 (1d6+2 slashing, agile, finesse)
    Acrobatics +8, Athletics +7, Stealth +8
    Conditions: n/a

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

It takes a time, but eventually the mayor nods off, overcome by abuse and simple fatigue. The gentle pitter-patter of raindrops and spray on the wooden walls of the shed eventually build into a steady driving drumbeat that must be the result of a heavy downpour. Without more to discuss, you find yourselves grateful for the shelter and surprised at how easily you drift off when the time comes.

In the morning, the mayor is noticeably less distraught. "I remembered some things you'll probably want to know," he mutters, after gathering the unlikely heroes. "There were several small, winged... demons, with the hermits, when they came to torment me. I... I think they said something about doing the same to Harlock, so I suspect he's being kept prisoner somewhere deeper inside...."

The thunderous deluge by now has dwindled to little more than a steady misting- enough to make your clothes uncomfortable if you stay in it too long, but not enough to hinder anyone looking for you.

20. - Top - End - #890

NecromancerGuy

Giggles wakes as the storm abates, his own snoring apparently loud enough to disturb the little blue gnome's rest. Looking to see that someone is on watch he first strips down to his skivvies and then steps out into the rain to briefly rinse off. Returning to his still-dry clothes he redresses and then looks to gently wake the PCs for breakfast. Someone wisely stops him from trying to prepare the food, so he spends the time helping and entertaining the others as they prepare for the day.

The Mayor's description of torture leaves him uncomfortable but motivated as he again looks out into the drizzling outdoors. "We should get started again - the rain has let up and we need to rescue the Mayor's friend. I can help scout out as far as we've gone so far, but Mr. Mayor, you should stay here. Lock and block the door and don't let anyone but us inside. If we don't come back tonight you should return to town without us..." he says as he gets ready to slink out the door towards the monastery proper...

Spoiler: Mechanics/OOC
    Show
    If the rest of the party is ready, I think we should get started.

For scouting, Giggles has Stealth +8 and Perception (saving throw) +7. He would go as far as W21 if he finds no opposition before returning to report back to the party.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

"Deeper inside? Here I hoped we could get back to work." The goblin frowns, shaking his head.

22. - Top - End - #892

Keshkaru listens to the conversation, apparently emotionless, as usual. When Thwap expresses eagerness to return to the Circus, she gives herself a moment to think, and calmly replies.

"I believe the spirits here are disturbed. And the minds of the people are disturbed, too. The village will not be prepared to welcome our show, as great as it is, while they are in such state. Also, remember what happened with Nemia. A perturbed mind can cause all sorts of disasters.

So, yes, we need to do what we can to find the source of the trouble and put an end to it."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-09-28 at 11:02 PM.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In his own businesslike fashion, Vorgrok grunts at nothing in particular as the other members of their eclectic company begin rousing themselves, and the dwarf lumbers heavily to his feet, beginning to work his leathers back about the thick limbs which they strain to encase. Seeming no less rested than usual after the night in the rain-beaten shack, he casually lifts his sledge from where it leaned against the wall overnight, casually spinning it to catch its business end in one palm to slide it with practiced ease into the loop resting between his shoulder blades.

Shuffling unconcernedly toward the door, he leans against its frame to watch for Giggles' return.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

Giggles' departure and absence last for what seems like a long time, but must only be a few minutes. Only dampened by the lingering mists, he returns to report that little has changed in the night. The bodies left near the guest quarters are... missing, but he's not sure where they would have gone- whoever moved them managed to hide any blood trails effectively.

25. - Top - End - #895

NecromancerGuy

"...I don't like it, but no denying it either. The bodies are gone and the blood cleaned up. I couldn't tell why, but it's tricky and sneaky. We should go in together, ready for more fighting, I'm afraid," finishes Giggles as he looks around the shed. Once it's clear a quorum agrees, he will lead the way to the point in the monastery where he stopped during his scouting and then cede the front to someone better able to take a hit or two.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

"Very strange. Yes, best we look into it." The clown agrees.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorgrok doesn't seem particularly surprised as Giggles delivers his report, releasing a noncommittal grunt at the absence of the bodies from yesterday's carnage. The dwarf squints out into the ongoing drizzle before returning his gaze to the inside of the shed. Stretching his thick neck to both sides (releasing a few loud pops), the dwarf turns to gesture Giggles toward the doorway in parodic courtesy.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Vorgrok will plan to follow Giggles out of the shed, and then to be the front line as we resume exploration of the hermitage.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Titan in the Playground

Absent dissent or opinions to the contrary, the unlikely troupe makes their way back into the hermitage. The front door is, strangely, unlocked and unguarded. As you cautiously make your way through the entry hall, you leave behind a substantial amount of muddy footprints, stark and impossible to hide on the otherwise fairly well-cleaned stone floors. In fact, despite his efforts to clean his boots before, it's not at all difficult to tell where Giggle's steps carried him only a few minutes prior.

Thus it comes as a substantial surprise when you come upon where the bodies of the retainers were unceremoniously left, and find only the faintest traces that there was ever a scuffle here. After takin a short time trying to puzzle it out, you press on unable to make any useful conclusions.

In the next hall, however, is suddenly drawn to the boarded up door. He smells something, and draws your attention to a spot near the floor where a small, but distinct smear of blood mars the stone. It doesn't take long to discover that the boards once used to nail this door shut have become loose. Though the fasteners remain secure enough to hold the boards to the door, the door is free to open and close with fair ease. Probably, whatever took the bodies took great pains to hide their trail (and weren't dealing with the muddy exterior of the hermitage), and was unable to see the last bit of blood before the trail disappeared beyond the stone door.

Map updated.

29. - Top - End - #899

NecromancerGuy

"Wow...that's more than just a little bit creepy," mutters Giggles quietly. "Do I need to keep scouting alone? Or are we just going to charge on in there? It doesn't look like anything good is on the other side..."

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

"Probably best to stick together, but if you want to scout more I will come with you. I can be quiet when needed."