New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Extinction Curse- The Show Must Go On!

Giggles follows the others, staying close as his nerves start to get to him. He keeps an eye out for anything unusual and does his best to manage his discomfort..."I'm going to need a strong drink after this...and not because I got to be ringleader tonight..." he mutters unhappily.

2. - Top - End - #152

"Yes, let's do that. Then I'd like to check out this rocky area, and we can leave the trail for last." Thinking aloud, Keshkaru adds, "I want to understand what's going on, there. But first..." The iruxi starts on a sprint, towards the animal cages. There, she finds Ozkrak, the raptor. "Come here, little girl... The show's over, but I still need your friendship and help." Eager to get out, the toothy dinosaur gets out, and nearly runs ahead of her mistress as she goes back to the wagons.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-05-04 at 09:49 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

The ragtag band returns to the relative safety of the wagons before heading to the southern fringes to investigate the family wagons. Moreso than the area where the acrobats and animal handlers ended up, this portion of the camp is almost totally silent. None of the families with kids felt safe to return to their wagons- not even to change out of their performing costumes. They remain gathered by the campfire, waiting for word that the campsite is safe again.

As such, the party is by far the loudest and most distracting part of their own search. Spreading out to go around a few wagons, Ozkrak suddenly stops short, looking to the south. At the same time, Pip happens to glance over and sees a curtain settling into place on the Kanbali's wagon. You just saw everyone from that acrobatic family at the campfire, so who or whatever is in their wagon- it isn't them.

Map updated

4. - Top - End - #154
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Normally Pip would think nothing of something as seemingly trivial as this, but this night certainly wasn't normal. Pip silently waves his arms to get the attention of the others before pointing to the wagon and miming someone looking out from behind an object. He approaches slowly, putting his ear to the wooden wall and listening intently.

5. - Top - End - #155

NecromancerGuy

"Careful, Pip!" whispers Giggles as he sneaks around to the front of the wagon. The blue gnome sneaks up and quietly tests the door handle to see if it is unlocked.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Stealth (1d20+6)[25]

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorgrok glowers at the disturbance to the Kanbali's wagon. With bared teeth, he tiptoes as best he can behind the quieter members of the makeshift security squad, his heavy sledge ready for use...

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Perception is +7
    Stealth: (1d20+3)[14]
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

7. - Top - End - #157

Raptor in tow, Keshkaru moves closer to the wagon, trying to see what's going on inside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception is +7, or +6 for Ozkrak (who has Scent as well).

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tessara starts to exclaim something at Pip's pantomiming but then thinks better of it, following her companions to take a position near the door to the wagon...
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

As soon as Giggles pulls on the latch to the Kanbali's wagon, the door bursts open- pressed from the inside!

Surprise!

A huge mess of rats pours out of the door- several having just muscled it open of their own accord. They swarm over Giggles, piling out of the wagon and onto Keshkaru, Ozkrak, and Pip- biting and gnawing as they go. One unreasonably large rat seems to serve as a kind of focal point for the swarm. It snaps at Giggles from the open doorway, but the colorful Gnome is easily able to turn and deflect its jaws away from his person.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Giggles took 3 damage from the swarm, Keshkaru 4, Ozkrak 4, and Pip 6.

I rolled secretly for the various exposures to filth fever, the rat's disease. I'll let you know as it becomes relevant #schemesfordays.

We're taking the same perception and stealth checks I previously rolled as initiative.
    Ozkrak and Pip to act. I may reassess at that point, but I think the enemies will act in a block on that initiative.

10. - Top - End - #160

Goblin

Pip is ready this time and as the door bursts open he springs forward, adrenaline overpowering the pain from the bites.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Action 1: Draw rapier
    Action 2: Move next to the door
    Action 3: Attempt to stab the big fellow (1d20+7)[17] to hit (rolled in OOC), [6] damage
    Reaction: If I get attacked, use reaction for nimble dodge, +2 to AC for that attack

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by DeVermis; 2020-05-05 at 02:13 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161

Grateful to Ozkrak when the raptor's sharp senses warn her of an imminent attack, Keshkaru is nonetheless surprised when the mass of disgusting little mammals reaches this far, this fast. It washes over her, biting and scratching... No words are necessary between them: Her furious animal friend is already in full retaliation mode, all bites and claws. The iruxi's powerful tail wipes a dozen of rats off their feet and throws them against the wagon's wheel nearby, while her clawed hand reaches for another group attempting to climb up her leg.

Spoiler
    Show
    Keshkaru (HP 6/16)
    #1 Command Ozkrak to attack
    #2 tail swipe (1d20+6)[24] damage (1d6+3)[7]
    #3 claw strike (agile) (1d20+2)[10] damage (1d4+3)[5]

Ozkrak (HP 10/14)
    #1 bite (1d20+6)[19] damage (1d8+2)[6]
    #2 talon strike (agile) (1d20+2)[18] damage (1d6+2)[8]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-05-05 at 05:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Round "1a"

Keshkaru, Ozkrak, and Pip leap into the fray with the ferocity that only pain can inspire. In a moment, the strong Iruxi lashes out with a broad, sweeping strike of her muscular tail. The rats are utterly unprepared for such an assault, and a huge number are crushed beneath the blow and scattered beneath the nearby wagons where the scamper off to seek safety. As Ozkrak lashes out with fury, it's immediately apparent that the raptor's sharp teeth and rending claws are dramatically less effective. She slices a few rats into ragged pieces, but so many still remain.

Pip ignores the swarm entirely, preferring to focus on the larger rat with focused precision. He lunges forward and drives his rapier deep into the rat's flank. It bleeds, squeals, and squirms, but remains on its feet for the moment.

That's when a voice from inside the wagon calls out, "I had hoped to murder more of you while the whole town was watching, that would have frightened away the poisoners for good!" Suddenly, the grass trampled under so many feet and wagons wheels springs up, twisting around ankles and calves and threatening to throw you to the ground.

Pip is the only one in a position to see the raggedly-dressed Halfling woman who just shouted and cast a spell. She was hiding in the wagon, with all the rats.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    The marked area on the map is now considered difficult terrain- where the wagons don't leave it impassible entirely.
    In addition, everyone will need to start their turns with a DC 21 reflex save, or else have their movement speed further reduced by 10 feet. On a critical failure, you will be immobilized entirely.

In the interest of managing close space without too much headache, I had Pip shove Giggles out of the way to make his attack (which also has the convenient effect of removing Giggles from the swarm, for now).

All except Keshkaru and Pip to act.

13. - Top - End - #163

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Gigglespit's Status, Round 1a
    Show
    Gigglespit Baderiggo Humbleback
    Chaotic Good Gnome Bard, Level 1, HP 13/18, Speed 25 15 ft.
    Small Humanoid (Fey Touched Gnome), Circus Born
    AC 17, Fort 5, Ref 6, Will 5, Perception 5
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 18
    Conditions: None

"Ouch! Why would you send rats against your friends?" cries Gigglespit as he walks to a spot where he can see the new speaker and directs his occult magic at her.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    DC 21 Reflex Save - (1d20+6)[11] or entangled for -10 ft movement speed. (fail)

Actions - 1. Move to a position where Giggles can see the halfling druid. If he has to get into the swarm's space to do it he would prioritize casting over avoiding the swarm.
    2 and 3. Cast Charm DC 17 on them to try and stop them from continuing combat.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Grrrr-ah!" grunts Vorgrok, the shorter-than-average dwarf finding himself suddenly caught up in the grasping foliage. Snarling out his frustration, he tries his best to muscle through the suddenly treacherous terrain, swinging his sledge at any vermin unfortunate enough to find themselves within its reach.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Reflex Save failed in OOC, leaving the dwarf at effective range of 5 feet on a Stride action.
    Action 1: Activate Rage: +2 damage, -1AC, +3 temp HP, 1 minute duration
    Action 2: Stride (if necessary to reach a foe, including the swarm) or Attack
    Action 3: Same as action #2

As many as 2 potential attacks:
    Attack 1: (1d20+7)[9] for (1d10+6)[7] bludgeoning
    Attack 2: (1d20+7)[22] for (1d10+6)[16] bludgeoning Edit: Does not include -5 for second attack, FYI

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    AC: 17 HP: 24 (+3 temp)
    Fort: 7
    Reflex: 5
    Will: 7
    Per: 7

Rage: +2 damage, -1 AC, +3 temp HP, 1 minute duration
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2020-05-06 at 02:10 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Eeeek! I hate rats!" Tessara lets out a squeal of terror at the sudden swarm. Instinctively she weaves her most powerful spell, and just as with the vipers three magical projectiles rise out of midair and slam against the vermin.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Stay put and use 3 actions to cast magic missile:
    2 missiles against Dire Rat: (2d4+2)[6] force damage
    1 missile against Rat Swarm: (1d4+1)[5] force damage
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Just as suddenly as the assault began, it comes to a screeching halt. Vorgrok struggles against the vines for just a moment before giving up and bringing his sledgehammer down on the swarm of rats. Much like Keshkaru's tail, the damage is catastrophic, dispersing the remaining vermin with devastating efficacy. Tessara's spell has similar results on the now-lone giant rat. It shudders and collapses under her magical assault.

Finally, as the vermin die all around her, Giggles' spell grabs hold of the Halfling's mind. She blinks a few times, stares blankly for a moment, and then wonders aloud, "I- I don't know! I'm sorry, friend!"

End of combat

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vorgrok turns his frenzied gaze from the dispersing swarm of vermin toward the darkness within the wagon... but the sudden change in tone from the speaker gives him pause. Still breathing heavily and with a suspicious scowl on his face, he moves to stand just to one side of the entrance to the wagon, his sledge resting on one shoulder.

18. - Top - End - #168

NecromancerGuy

"Everybody STOP!" yells Gigglespit, his tone full of authority (if a bit too high-pitched to have the impact one might hope). "I want everyone to take a moment and breathe, calm down, and put away your weapons. I need to speak with my friend here and see if we can settle down and see what is wrong. Can someone please ask the Kanbali family if I can use their wagon for several minutes?"

Turning to the halfling, Giggles smiles warmly as he walks inside the wagon. He leaves the door open a bit so others can listen discretely and says, "Hi! I'm Gigglespit Baderiggo Humbleback, but you can call me Giggles. I know we're friends, but do you mind telling me your name?"

"Um, I'm Nemia Bramblecloak."

"Hello, Nemia. It's plain that you're upset about something, but I think you might have made the wrong decision - hurting or killing people isn't the way to get everyone on your side. What is wrong? How can I help?"

"Oh, I don't want everyone on my side. I want the poisoners from Abberton dead or frightened away! That's why I had the snakes kill your ringleader and attack during the show. I didn't expect you to stop me, though!"

"Oh...I see...What do you mean by poisoners? Have the people of Abberton done something wrong?"

"Of course they have! They are part of a town, and people like them are always hurting nature and the animals and plants near their towns. They're noisy, greedy, and they deserve what's coming to them!"

"Wow...alright. It sounds like you don't much like civilization, huh?"

"Nope. And since I can stop them and no one else can or will, I have to do something about it."

"I think I see. Well, can you help me make sure no one else gets hurt tonight, at least? We have good people in the circus - including some children - and I am sure you don't want to really hurt them when they haven't done anything wrong, right? Especially if they can be convinced to be part of the solution..." Giggles puts extra emphasis in this question, making it clear that everything else hinges on Nemia's answer.

Nemia seems to take a moment to think about Giggles' request before answering. "I guess I can stop...the little ones didn't really do anything to deserve me killing them, but I'm not so sure about the adults. How can they help? People usually hurt nature, not help it...I mean, I came here to kill people and scare them away!"

Giggles gulps audibly as he struggles to try and understand this perspective. Taking a deep breath he continues to try and argue away from violence, saying, "Do you really want to kill people? Or just stop the poisoning of the land? If they can help clean up and stop hurting animals and plants, you would have allies..."

With a snort Nemia spits, "Not likely - I can't even get the druids to help me. No one wants to be nature's ally except me."

"Wait a minute! I could be an ally - do you trust me enough to let me try and make this happen without killing any more people?"

After a long moment of Nemia looking at Giggles seriously she nods. "I believe I could trust you enough. Do you really think you can help me save this area without me killing anyone else?"

Giggles nods firmly, looking squarly at the halfling and demanding, "I can help you, but there's a condition. You have to come to me before making any rash decisions, like hurting people or sending animals or plants to hurt them. Deal?"

"Alright - deal. So, how do we start?"

"Well, first we need to turn tonight around as best we can. If everyone is scared of you they won't let me work with you. Is there anything else around here that you have set up to hurt the circus people? We found Myron - that's the ringleader you killed, the bear, and the snakes in the woods. Is there anything else?"

"No, that's everything I've done. Well, that and the rats, but they won't be a threat anymore either."

"Alright, then here's what we are going to do: I am going to introduce you to the folks right out there. We are going to tell them that you came here to hurt people, but I've convinced you to stop. Some of them are likely to be angry - Myron was a really nice, good guy. Everyone liked him. I don't know what they are going to do, but I will stick beside you to try and help make this right. Ready?"

At Nemia's confirmation Giggles walks to the door and opens it to his allies. "This is Nemia - she's here because she thought the only way to protect nature was to hurt people. I think I have convinced her otherwise. We need to try and help make this all as right as we can, but I don't want anyone hurting her any - she wasn't a friend before, but now she is and I think we can make this better with her help..."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Everybody STOP!" yells Gigglespit, his tone full of authority (if a bit too high-pitched to have the impact one might hope). "I want everyone to take a moment and breathe, calm down, and put away your weapons. I need to speak with my friend here and see if we can settle down and see what is wrong. Can someone please ask the Kanbali family if I can use their wagon for several minutes?"
    Tessara nods and rushes off to find the Kanbalis, and so misses all but the end of other Giggles' exchange with the halfling woman. When she hears his proposal she nearly loses it. "A friend!? Giggles, are you out of your mind?!?! She murdered The Thunder!!! Not an accident, not self-defense - murder! She admitted it and she doesn't feel bad about it! She tried to do the same to all of us! The only reason she's talking now is that you tricked her with a spell! None of us will be safe tonight while she's on the loose - you know what we have to do!" Tessara is trembling and breathing heavily, the uncharacteristic sternness piling onto the stress of the bizarre situation.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170

Keshkaru listens to Gigglespit's exchange with the halfling druid with no apparent emotion, but inside her, Nemia's story stirs up a storm of memories. Stories of her tribe losing their fishing grounds to encroaching humans, fishermen maybe, but the kind that come with swords and bows. Twice in her parents' lifetime, having to relocate to less favorable places deeper in the marshes. The fires in the forests she traveled in. The destruction wrought by this dwarf alchemist, on a quest for a rare marsh flower for whatever concoction she was researching. Yes, civilization can be deadly for nature. Still.

She steps forward, her legs and tail covered in oozing blood from the rat bites she sustained. "I share the faith you have in nature and the desire to defend it, Nemia. There are many ways to be its ally." Behind her, Ozkrak hisses, baring blood-covered fangs. She snaps at a stray rat, chews it once, and begins to devour the back-broken rodent. "Violence won't help. Believe me - my people, they tried. They won victories, they made killings. But eventually, we always had to retreat, after much suffering. And innocents suffered the most, on both sides. Peace is the better way, no, the only way to share this world between people and animals, people and plants, people and the land. In any other path, lays death for you, death for others."

The iruxi turns to Tessara. "Of course it would be the safe way, the easier way... But, taking one more life won't bring the Thunder back, you know that, my friend. Can we at least try to avoid further bloodshed? I realize Giggles only won us a short truce. If there's a chance to turn it into something lasting, isn't it worth an attempt?"

21. - Top - End - #171

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    At Nemia's confirmation Giggles walks to the door and opens it to his allies. "This is Nemia - she's here because she thought the only way to protect nature was to hurt people. I think I have convinced her otherwise. We need to try and help make this all as right as we can, but I don't want anyone hurting her any - she wasn't a friend before, but now she is and I think we can make this better with her help..."
    Pip watches quietly to see how the others will react to Giggles's proposition, but does not put away his rapier. His judgement on this individual was settled long before they met face to face. Giving murderers a second chance was a luxury that had never been available to him. Besides, a lifetime of zealotry is not reversed in a day, they should end her now while it would be easy.

Still, as a relative newcomer, Pip does not act on his feelings. This is not his decision to make.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The scowl on Vorgrok's face deepens, but there is no exterior change to his posture or demeanor as the "conversation" continues. He breathes deeply and slowly, readied for any sudden change in the character of the encounter.

23. - Top - End - #173

NecromancerGuy

Giggles' expression goes from cautious hope to despair as Tessara speaks. At Keshkaru's words some of that hope returns, but the expressions on Pip's and Vorgrok's faces don't give him much. "I just don't want to kill anyone, and I think we should try doing this a different way," he says, quietly, as he looks down to the floor of the wagon. "Myron was my friend too. He always laughed at my pranks and never got angry with me when a joke went wrong. I'm going to miss him too!"

Nearly in tears, the blue gnome sits down on the short ladder steps into the wagon as his emotions begin to overwhelm him. "Hurting or killing Nemia isn't going to bring him back, though! I won't help you kill her - she may deserve it, but I won't help do it."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tessara crosses her arms and sighs as both Keshkaru and Giggles present a united front against her suggestion, while Vorgrok and Pip are keeping their opinions to themselves for the moment. "Well if you're not going to listen to reason..." she begins in exasperation.

"How can we keep everybody safe? Will she promise not to hurt anyone else? If she does, can we believe her? Do we need to have someone guarding her around the clock? Just how much confidence do you have in that magic trick, anyway?" She crosses to a camp stool left vacated by one of the performers and sits, placing her head in her hands. "I don't want to kill anyone, either - but the safety of the circus comes first!"
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-05-13 at 06:21 PM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175

NecromancerGuy

Giggles looks up at Tessara and replies, "It's no trick anymore - we talked and I think I have convinced Nemia not to do things this way. There is a real problem that she is trying to fix, but she shouldn't have done it this way...As for the rest, I don't really know. Maybe Nemia can stay with me and Keshkaru until you feel safe...?"

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tessara looks up and stares at Giggles for a long moment, inwardly reflecting on their short but meaningful time together at the circus. Finally she sighs and her posture relaxes, a look of resignation on her face. "It'll have to do, I suppose. I hope you you're right, for all our sakes..." The sidelong glance she sends towards the halfling woman makes it clear that she still harbors mistrust, and a great deal of it.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177

NecromancerGuy

"Me too...so...What are we going to tell everyone else? The truth?"

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"'The truth will out,'" grunts Vorgrok, his brow-furrowed gaze still fixed on the maker of the night's mischief.

29. - Top - End - #179

Keshkaru takes a moment before she reacts. She looks at Gigglespit with her unblinking (or at least, not visibly blinking) reptilian eyes.

"I don't think we have a choice. We owe our companions the truth about what happened to the Thunder. He was our leader and friend. It's true I don't know how they will react."

She pauses, a long, heavy silence that's probably awkward for everyone but her. The same cold eyes look at Nemia.

"In my experience, most humans, elves, and little people appreciate an expression of regret for acts that pained them. Would you be prepared to tell them you are sorry and won't do something like this again?"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Nemia looks up as she is beckoned from the wagon (she waited inside dutifully, at Giggle's request, while the party discussed the immediate nature of what to do with her). She eyes Keshkaru with a steady gaze that manages to seem familiar to the Iruxi. The druids are keen enough to immediately realize that they have more in common than either does with the vast majority of their friends and companions. Nemia ponders her response, recognizing its importance.

She scowls deeply, struggling with the thoughts, the words. "I... I want only what is best for the land and the animals in it... If these people really are friends to nature, I... I am sorry to have hurt them." Her face takes on a flinty, hard expression. Rigid with determination, she continues more harshly. "But if I am betrayed, I would do it again, and worse! I must find peace for the wilds, above all else!"

She immediately realizes that she has both agreed and not, to Keshkaru's request. "I don't know how else to say it," she admits, perhaps a little ashamed.