Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Knowstones: Which gems for which schools of magic?

Just a little fluff question here for the Playground, if anyone is interested.
    Obviously, Knowstones need to be made out of the right kind of gemstone for any particular school, but what for which?
    So far, I've got a partial list of ideas:
    Abjuration - Amethyst, for it's long standing mystical association with protection.
    Conjuration - ?
    Divination - Catseye, or Chrysoberyl, for it's obvious powers of Similarity
    Enchantment - Emerald, because green = Fey and Fey = enchantment. Also, watch the beginning of Topkapi, and you'll see what I mean.
    Evocation - Fire Opal?
    Illusion - ?
    Necromancy - Onyx &/or Black Sapphire, maybe depending on what level the spell is?
    Transmutation - Tourmaline, more specifically the so-called watermelon Tourmaline. Look it up, it's pretty cool to see a good specimen, as it blends from green to red (even purple) in the same crystal. Some really rare examples have even more colors than that in the mix.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Knowstones: Which gems for which schools of magic?

Pages 26-27 of the 1E DMG had a table of "Reputed Magical Properties of Gems" that might provide some inspiration.

Agate: Restful and safe sleep
    Alexandrite: Good omens
    Amber: Wards off diseases
    Amethyst: Prevents drunkenness or drugging
    Beryl: Wards off foes
    Bloodstone: Weather control
    Carbuncle: Powers of dragonís sight
    Carnelian: Protection from evil
    Catsí eye agate: Protection from spirits
    Chalcedony: Wards off undead
    Chrysoberyl: Protection from possession
    Chrysolite: Wards off spells
    Chrysoprase: Invisibility
    Coral: Calms weather, safety in river crossing, cures madness, staunches bleeding
    Diamond: Invulnerability vs. undead
    Hematite: Aids fighters, heals wounds
    Jacinth: Luck travelling, wards off plague, protection from fire
    Jade: Skill at music and musical instruments
    Jasper: Protection from venom
    Jet: Soul object material
    Lapis lazuli: Raises morale, courage
    Malachite: Protection from falling, wards off spells, evil spirits, and poisons
    Moonstone: Causes lycanthropy
    Olivine: Protection from spells
    Onyx: Causes discord amongst enemies
    Peridot: Wards off enchantments
    Ruby: Gives good luck
    Sapphire: Aids understanding of problems, kills spiders, boosts magical abilities
    Sapphire, star: Protection from magic
    Sard: Benefits wisdom
    Serpentine: Adds to wile and cunning
    Sunstone: Wards off spells, evil spirits, and poisons
    Topaz: Wards off evil spells
    Turquoise: Aids horses in all ways
    Black: The earth, darkness, and negation
    Blue: The heavens, truth, and spirituality
    Clear: The sun - luck
    Green: Reproduction, sight and resurrection
    Red: Hemorrhaging control, heat
    White: The moon - enigmatic
    Yellow: Secrecy, homeopathy and jaundice

3. - Top - End - #3

GreenSorcererElf

Thanks, Thurbane. That's pretty cool. I'm going to have to see if I can dig out my copy from storage, if I can remember what box it is in. Looking at that list I can see that maybe I need to consider some changes and subdivisions, like Sunstone for Abjuration, Amethyst for Conjuration (Healing), Diamond for Conjuration (Summoning), and etc.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Pages 26-27 of the 1E DMG had a table of "Reputed Magical Properties of Gems" that might provide some inspiration.
    I wonder if they made that up or if it matches traditional real-world gem lore?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I wonder if they made that up or if it matches traditional real-world gem lore?
    I'm guessing it's based on real world gem lore. I recall looking up amethyst some time ago and it was supposedly actually believed to protect against drunkenness and alcohol poisoning, to the point that goblets would have amethysts set in them.

As for the game, I'd go diamonds for conjuration if for no other reason than all healing spells are conjuration and the resurrection spell line uses large amounts of diamonds. And for evocation, it's a lot more than fire so I might consider a different gem for the school itself and perhaps individual stones for spells of specific energy descriptors.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)

I had a go at someting simial,r coming up with reagents for item creation. The stuff for relevant schools (I also did it for elements, disciplines and martial schools) is thusly; maybe in concert with Thurbane's list, it might give you some more ideas?

(As I recall, I did pull some of the ideas from looking up stuff on gemstones.)

Abjuration:

Rowan (Faint), Oak (Faint), Jet (Strong),
    Conjuration (Calling or Summoning):
    Outsider creature parts of matching type or subtype (By HD)
    Conjuration (Creation):
    ???
    Conjuration (Healing):
    Powdered Unicorn Horn (By HD), Alamandine (Faint), Hematite (Moderate), Amber (Moderate), Amethyst (Strong), Diamond (Strong)
    Conjuration (Teleportation):
    Amber dust (Moderate), Amber (Strong)
    Divination:
    Pearl (Faint), Yew (Faint), Diamond dust (Moderate), Pink Sappahire dust (Moderate), Diamond (Strong), Pink Sappahire (Strong)
    Enchantment:
    Nymph Heart (By HD), Morganite dust (Moderate), Morganite (Strong), Padmaraga dust (Strong), Padmaraga (Overwhelming)
    Evocation:
    Corundum dust (Moderate), Corundum (Strong)
    Illusion: (Glamour):
    Maxixe dust (Faint), Maxixe (Moderate), Opal (Strong)
    Necromancy:
    Schorl (Faint), Jet (Moderate), Onyx (Strong), Ivory (Strong), Opal (Strong), intelligent Undead creature parts (By HD),
    Transmutation:
    Jade (Faint), Diamond dust (Moderate), Maxixe dust (Moderate), Alexandrite (Strong), Diamond (Strong), Maxixe (Strong)

Universal:
    Any gemstones or gemstone dust (Weak), Diamond Dust (Faint), Diamond (Moderate), Dragon creature parts (By HD, but reduce strength by one step, i.e. Moderate to Faint), Pure Mana (see below)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-02-25 at 08:34 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

GreenSorcererElf

smile Re: Knowstones: Which gems for which schools of magic?

Thanks, Aotrs. Those sound like some cool suggestions, many of which I am going to have to look up-E

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

For Transmutation, I'd go with Spessartine. It's found with metamorphic rocks (so it has the "change" theme going).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dunno if this has any bearing on things but the following gems have been converted into ioun stones historically in afaik AD&D and some 5e stuff lately: "Amethyst, Chrysoberyl, Chrysoprase, Greenstone (chlorastrolite), Hematite, Iol (iolite, cordierite), Laeral's Tears (rare fancy stone, possibly Toril-only), Obsidian, Onyx, Sardonyx (AD&D2, Volo's Guide to All Things Magical)."

source- 1d4chan, not sure if accurate.

if you can find out which gem was used to make what ioun stone you can maybe guesstimate features related to that stone's appearence that make it suit a school of magic?
    Atomic laser breath!

10. - Top - End - #10

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    For Transmutation, I'd go with Spessartine. It's found with metamorphic rocks (so it has the "change" theme going).
    That looks like a very nice rock, and it kind of has the red hot heat of change thing going on. Thank you-E

11. - Top - End - #11

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    Dunno if this has any bearing on things but the following gems have been converted into ioun stones historically in afaik AD&D and some 5e stuff lately: "Amethyst, Chrysoberyl, Chrysoprase, Greenstone (chlorastrolite), Hematite, Iol (iolite, cordierite), Laeral's Tears (rare fancy stone, possibly Toril-only), Obsidian, Onyx, Sardonyx (AD&D2, Volo's Guide to All Things Magical)."

source- 1d4chan, not sure if accurate.

if you can find out which gem was used to make what ioun stone you can maybe guesstimate features related to that stone's appearence that make it suit a school of magic?
    Malphegor, I hadn't thought of looking at 5th edition sources, but they are bringing some good fluff at least. Thanks, E