New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Steam-Powered rocket engineer killed

We've discussed Mad Mike Hughes, the fellow who was determined to ascend in a home-made steam-powered rocket into space to prove the world flat, in this forum before. Regrettably, he died at the controls . Evidently the acceleration knocked him out, making him unable to deploy the parachute, and the backup chutes failed as well.

As terrible as this is, well, he was 64, and "Died at the controls of a steam-powered rocket" is still a more interesting epitaph than "died of dysentary" or cancer or what not.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Steam-Powered rocket engineer killed

By the way, it's now pretty much confirmed that he didn't believe in the flat Earth. People who knew him told the press he used Flat Earth as a publicity stunt, because he really wanted to fly steam rockets and needed funds.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    By the way, it's now pretty much confirmed that he didn't believe in the flat Earth. People who knew him told the press he used Flat Earth as a publicity stunt, because he really wanted to fly steam rockets and needed funds.
    Of course; that doesn't surprise me at all. I assumed it from the moment I read his history. He "discovered" flat earth because he wanted funding, but he wasn't a true believer.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2020-02-24 at 02:53 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    As terrible as this is, well, he was 64, and "Died at the controls of a steam-powered rocket" is still a more interesting epitaph than "died of dysentary" or cancer or what not.
    Compared to what I sometimes see* it's probably one of the nicer ways to go. I mean, it might not be the most painless death possible but I've seen people who have been in pain or immobile for years before their death.

On the one hand, I hope this will discourage people from making homemade rockets. On the other hand, I do want to live in a world where building a rocket in your back garden is a normal thing to do. One of the few things that make me feel better is that from my understanding he did know the risks he was taking and went into this hobby aware that it could cause his death.

* I work in an old folks home that deals with end of life, one of the company policies is to ensure that everybody below a certain standard of health is talked to about their funeral plans and if they want us to not ressucitate them if anything happens (and get all this stuff in writing).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Compared to what I sometimes see* it's probably one of the nicer ways to go. I mean, it might not be the most painless death possible but I've seen people who have been in pain or immobile for years before their death.

On the one hand, I hope this will discourage people from making homemade rockets. On the other hand, I do want to live in a world where building a rocket in your back garden is a normal thing to do. One of the few things that make me feel better is that from my understanding he did know the risks he was taking and went into this hobby aware that it could cause his death.

* I work in an old folks home that deals with end of life, one of the company policies is to ensure that everybody below a certain standard of health is talked to about their funeral plans and if they want us to not ressucitate them if anything happens (and get all this stuff in writing).
    Will you be adding "strap me to a rocket" to the form?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Or 'add rocket boosters to my wheelchair and launch me in Bonneville'. Might as wel get a world record out of it.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

"In case of heart attack do not resuscitate, but tie me to a rocket really quick so I technically went out awesome."
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    *Breaks out his pen*

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I think a lot of people forget that rocketry and spaceflight is dangerous. It still is (look at the Shuttle's record). Commercial spaceflight won't be airline-safe for a long time.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    I think a lot of people forget that rocketry and spaceflight is dangerous. It still is (look at the Shuttle's record). Commercial spaceflight won't be airline-safe for a long time.
    That's why DIY is the way to go. Mad Mike was on the right track, but first he showed us how NOT to make a steam rocket. If nothing else he has given credence to the legend of Wan Hu.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Interestingly, the betting pool was almost entirely on "killed in steam vessel explosion before launch", not on "lethal crash".
    Resident Vancian Apologist