New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Magic item shenanigans for Artificer infusions

My Gnome battlesmith just hit level 6, which is starting to open up the possibilities of shenanigans and exploits for combos of infused items and party loot.

At level 5 my layout was pretty basic, spending my infusions on a lance (my steel defender makes one of the toughest low level mounts in the game) and a bag of holding, which is integrated into the back side of my shield. The shield of holding is fairly useful for basic exploits like scurrying across open terrain with full cover, sliding through prison bars or under doors, and frisbee throwing team members around obstacles.

In our last session I both hit level 6, granting new infusion options and a 3rd infusion per day, and got 2 new magic items: a cube of force and an immovable rod.

The exploit potential for my layout is very good right now. I intend to integrate the immovable rod into my shield of holding, allowing for any number of tricks from resisting forced movement to making a floating bunker as a sniper position. The cube of force is also very strong, as my default option of mounted combat with a reach weapon works very well with a mobile force field that prevents any living creatures from moving adjacent to me.

I know my new infusion options can open a lot of combos, one of the simplest being to make 2 bags of holding and putting one into the other to banish enemies to the astral plane. What are some other cool and creative ways to abuse my infusions and magic items for unintended effects?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Magic item shenanigans for Artificer infusions

Err, I can't help with your request, but the bag of holding thing wouldn't work. You can only put your infusion into one item; one Imbued Arcane Focus, one Imbued Weapon, one Radiant Weapon, or one Infusion: Bag of Holding.

Although, the magic item infusion specifically says you can choose it more than once (and *doesn't* add "Choosing a different item each time), so you could use two infusion choices to make two bags of holding. I'd assume that breaks RAI and that a DM would need to sign off on it, but I guess RAW it works if you do it that way. Considering how long it takes to advance in infusions known, this would be a significant investment.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I used the Pot of Awakening for some pretty significant shenanigans.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Alchemy Jug gives you two free flasks of acid per day. Cast Catapult on an acid flask for 3d8 bludgeoning + 2d6 acid damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

If the artificer can make two bags of holding ... there are some shennanigans available here
    The basic idea is to shove a small or medium creature into one bag of holding, and then (from at least 10 feet away) drop that bag of holding into another one to create the "one way ticket to the astral plane"

If there is a monk in the party ... monk stuns them, barbarian/Fighter stuffs them into the first bag, they can't get out if it is shut, and then you drop the first bag into the second bag from more than 10 feet away.

For other tips on how to dispose of gnomes ....
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-02-27 at 02:46 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    If the artificer can make two bags of holding ... there are some shennanigans available here
    The basic idea is to shove a small or medium creature into one bag of holding, and then (from at least 10 feet away) drop that bag of holding into another one to create the "one way ticket to the astral plane"
    *Portal opens as a unit of gith riding an astral dreadnought enters the mortal plane looking for the litter bug tossing undesirable beings into their plane*

Generally this combo isn't allowed until lv 10 due to only allowed to use each individual infusion once at a time.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

The opening of a bag of holding doesn't grow to accomadate the object size. The object has to be small enough to fit. You can't stuff a creature into a bag of holding, unless it is the size of a mouse. That's how I play it at my table.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taboomantis View Post
    The opening of a bag of holding doesn't grow to accomadate the object size. The object has to be small enough to fit. You can't stuff a creature into a bag of holding, unless it is the size of a mouse. That's how I play it at my table.
    If you read the Q&A I linked to, the width of shoulders for a humanoid is sufficiently small to fit into the opening.

An ogre? Not so much.

At your table: rule it as you like.
    (Note, this thread is about shennanigans )

@stoutstein: nice one. "Littering on my astral plane? Say hello to my little friend silver sword!"
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-03-06 at 03:10 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society