New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Counter spell. Do you know what they are casting

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Counterspell isn't new to D&D. It's just split off from dispel magic. In prior editions, one of the functions of dispel magic was to ready it as an action, and then cast it when an enemy mage cast a spell.

(3e also had rules to let you counterspell using the exact spell that was being cast at you. This required readying an action to counterspell, identifying the spell, and then casting the same spell. This automatically worked to counter it.)
    Also, In 2e when spells had casting times, anyone could counterspell--with a sword, a brick, or a faster spell. It played into strategy--cast a fast low power spell or a long winded strong one? I loved the choke spell, too... sigh.

For 5e, yes knowing the spell certainly helps. But one question: when do you ever want the other guy to do whatever HE wants?. My villains never cast heal at you, and even counterspelling something that would fail anyway still means the bad guy did nothing for a round, which can still be a win.

In my group we just announce the spells. I dont think Id use the XGE rule much unless its out of combat.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CapnWildefyr View Post
    Also, In 2e when spells had casting times, anyone could counterspell--with a sword, a brick, or a faster spell. It played into strategy--cast a fast low power spell or a long winded strong one? I loved the choke spell, too... sigh.

For 5e, yes knowing the spell certainly helps. But one question: when do you ever want the other guy to do whatever HE wants?. My villains never cast heal at you, and even counterspelling something that would fail anyway still means the bad guy did nothing for a round, which can still be a win.

In my group we just announce the spells. I dont think Id use the XGE rule much unless its out of combat.
    Spell slots a limited resource. If you keep spending your slots trying to prevent every Cantrip an enemy tries to fling at you, you’ll run out of them quickly.

If you blocked his powerful spells, great. You both spent your resources. But if the smart enemy was deliberately casting unlimited Cantrips to waste the parties spell slots on? Once the party stops countering his Cantrips, he has his full arsenal to unload with impunity.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deljzc View Post
    Does anyone run or play a campaign WITHOUT counterspell?

I'm not a big fan of the spell. It's not a D&D thing. It's a Wizards of the Coast/Magic the Gathering thing.

With all the abuse and/or rules around this spell (it seems like it's a must-have), anyone just say screw it?
    You can counterspell in 3E by readying an action to do it. You counter by casting the same spell for the purpose, cast Dispel Magic and roll, or specific spells that say they counter other specific spells such as Slow/Haste.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BoringInfoGuy View Post
    Spell slots a limited resource. If you keep spending your slots trying to prevent every Cantrip an enemy tries to fling at you, you’ll run out of them quickly.

If you blocked his powerful spells, great. You both spent your resources. But if the smart enemy was deliberately casting unlimited Cantrips to waste the parties spell slots on? Once the party stops countering his Cantrips, he has his full arsenal to unload with impunity.
    Assuming, of course, he's still alive after wasting his first rounds baiting you

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deljzc View Post
    Does anyone run or play a campaign WITHOUT counterspell?

I'm not a big fan of the spell. It's not a D&D thing. It's a Wizards of the Coast/Magic the Gathering thing.

With all the abuse and/or rules around this spell (it seems like it's a must-have), anyone just say screw it?
    Counterspell is a very D&D thing, at least from my perspective (originally 3.5 player...though back then we used to punsh casters in the face to counterspell ). And it gives an interesting perspective over what a Wizard duel would look like. Can't agree with the premisse that it's OP either.

With all the crazy things magic can accomplish, it's only natural a mage would research a spell to disable his opponent. It also makes seccondary casters and non-casters more relevant to the group, when one of the roles a full caster must fill is "make sure enemy caster doest't fireball/dominate the whole party".

If anything, I believe it should be an ability of casters rather than a spell in itself, as it only functions as a spell tax (you'll get it either way eventually, unless you're ok with changing team members every time someone fails a save), especially for spells known classes.

Oh, we'd make such a wanderful meme... captioned "counterspell? back in my days the fighter would counterspell... by cutting the mage's hands off"

Last edited by Asmotherion; 2020-02-28 at 07:07 PM.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by diplomancer View Post
    Assuming, of course, he's still alive after wasting his first rounds baiting you
    An enemy wizard who spent his first rounds getting his powerful spells Counterspelled is somehow more likely to survive?

Enemy wizards are just as likely to know the value of meat shields as any PC.