New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Default Priest of Kossuth: Wildfire Druid or Light Cleric?

So I'm about to embark on a run and I'm settled largely on the character concept but I'm not sure which of these two class options would better suit the idea. We will either be starting at level 1 or level 5 depending on whether the party wants to reboot or continue on with existing characters. As a result I have no idea about party make-up. For argument sake, lets say everyone keeps their existing characters except me we would have a lore bard, an EK, and a sunsoul monk. Standard point buy. Leaning toward v-human for the feat.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Priest of Kossuth: Wildfire Druid or Light Cleric?

With just you've got, it's a wash. You'll have to go further into the character concept and especially its abilities before there's any meaningful distinction to make.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Hell, I'll just confuse things further and throw out Celestial Warlock as another option.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wildfire Druid. Having a flying, intelligent summon that has hands is unbelievably useful. You even get a bit of 30' teleporting on top of all that. As well as all the other useful Druid junk, and a few instant damage spells.

Not sure what vhuman feat to recommend, but Spell Sniper looks fun in conjunction with the spirit's lvl6 ability. Even when you're not really doing anything, or have a concentration spell already up, you can be thorn whipping stuff through your spirit into all kinds of annoying situations (being able to fly your spirit off to the side/behind them the turn before opens up plenty of angles that would normally be unavailable safely to you).

You still get surprisingly good combat out of wildshape until the end of lvl4 as well.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Either one can be a healer and ranged/AOE blaster, which are the two roles your party needs. Of the two, I think Wildfire Druid would be more fun and effective.

If you go Variant Human, I'd use the free feat for Elemental Adept (Fire).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Hey - thanks for the feedback, all. I think I've settled on wildfire with elemental adept for a couple of reasons most of which have been covered above but also because I feel like being able to summon fire elementals is a pretty key ability for a worshiper of a fire elemental.

Thanks very much for the sounding board, everyone.

7. - Top - End - #7

I have a halfling wildfire Druid that has an Arabian feel. Her wildfire spirit appears as a flying carpet that she sits on and flies. It’s also like rug from Aladdin movie.
    Last edited by 8wGremlin; 2020-02-28 at 08:46 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Kossuth was a primordial right?

I’d prob lean with wildfire in this character concept.
    CENTER]

9. - Top - End - #9

Remember, even if your fire spirit is a magic carpet, it still has hands. Every time. So useful, hands are :)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Mechanically fiend pact warlock could also work.

Forge cleric also gets some fire abilities.

Of the two options you are leaning towards I would go light cleric though.

Edit:

Also you could take a look at divine soul sorcerer. The subclass could easily give you the flavourful mix of fire spells and divine spells to fit.
    Last edited by MrStabby; 2020-02-29 at 01:33 PM.