Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default New Unearthed Arcana (Sub Classes 3)

Last edited by Tawmis; 2020-02-24 at 02:18 PM.
    Need a character background written up? I'd be happy to write one up for you! Now with over 150 character backgrounds written! How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated, if you're so inclined! <3

Check out my 5e Module The Secret of Havenfall Manor over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana (Sub Classes 3)

So, that armorer subclass for the artificer...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Best Ranger subclass in the game and its nowhere near close. This is STUNNING. It is disgustingly good, I am legitimately floored as to how strong this thing is. I LOOOOOVE this.

This Artificer subclass is what I wanted the Battle Smith to be. Adore it. I can't even properly express how much I like this. And the INFUSIONS. Just auto-succeed with your Reaction on Concentration saves? Uh, YES PLEASE.

And the Druid. Pretty damn great. Love the use of Wild Shape, this is something I enjoyed with Spore Druid and I've wanted to see more of it. Pretty thematic, and unique. Casting Guiding Bolt seems... weird, but hey, more offensive spells on a Druid, I dig it.

This... This totally rules. I love it. I don't know what to do with my hands right now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, the Armorer looks pretty great, honestly. I like how it gives you extra Infusion "slots" - that's a pretty nice feature. My first impression, though, is that the Battlesmith is crying over in the corner because of this guy.

However, most of those infusions are a bit too much in my opinion. Spell-Refueling Ring in particular sets off warning bells in my head.

The Circle of Stars looks alright, I guess. The flavor is great, but the actual mechanics feel kinda boring.

Fey Wanderer, on the other hand... is this is the first time we've actually gotten a damage-boosting feature that supports using two-weapon fighting with it? Happy days! Sure, you have to spread the damage around to get the most of it, but it's a step forward. Oh, and you get a Smite feature, tons of support for making a social Ranger, and a crazy capstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    I do Let's Plays now. Current Game: Huntress of the Hollow

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Oh damn, that "Armor Modifications" ability for the Armorer is pretty awesome. Understated, but awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Yeah, the Armorer looks pretty great, honestly. I like how it gives you extra Infusion "slots" - that's a pretty nice feature. My first impression, though, is that the Battlesmith is crying over in the corner because of this guy.

However, most of those infusions are a bit too much in my opinion. Spell-Refueling Ring in particular sets off warning bells in my head.

The Circle of Stars looks alright, I guess. The flavor is great, but the actual mechanics feel kinda boring.

Fey Wanderer, on the other hand... is this is the first time we've actually gotten a damage-boosting feature that supports using two-weapon fighting with it? Happy days! Sure, you have to spread the damage around to get the most of it, but it's a step forward. Oh, and you get a Smite feature, tons of support for making a social Ranger, and a crazy capstone.
    SMITE. RANGER.

That alone makes it far and away my favorite Conclave.

7. - Top - End - #7

Goblin

The Fey Ranger is everything I've wanted and more. Now we just need a fairy race and I'm set. Although I'll take Eladrin for now.

8. - Top - End - #8

SolithKnightGuy

I don't like the Armorer. IMO power armor is removed from the fantasy genre to the point it would break my immersion.
    The Mind Sharpener infusion is too strong (should have limited uses) and is flavored oddly. When you're in shock from pain and stop concentrating for a moment, it shocks your mind more to clear it? Huh?
    Cosmic Omen is pretty good stuff: Woe lets you reduce a creature's saving throw roll!

Now we can make a Paladin/Blade Pact Warlock/Fey Wanderer and smite when we smite while we smite.
    Last edited by CheddarChampion; 2020-02-24 at 03:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarChampion View Post
    I don't like the Armorer. IMO power armor is removed from the fantasy genre to the point it would break my immersion.
    The Mind Sharpener infusion is too strong (should have limited uses) and is flavored oddly. When you're in shock from pain and stop concentrating for a moment, it shocks your mind more to clear it? Huh?
    I can see Armorer being a bit too much 'tech', especially for low magic settings.

Gandalf, Legolas, and Iron Gnome is a bit weird for a party, I admit that.

But Eberron is quite high-magic.

I expect it also depends a lot as to how you flavor the armor. Iron Man is one thing, but a borderline sentient suit of armor from an ancient mage could be quite fun to play with.

10. - Top - End - #10

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    I expect it also depends a lot as to how you flavor the armor. Iron Man is one thing, but a borderline sentient suit of armor from an ancient mage could be quite fun to play with.
    Fair point.
    Last edited by CheddarChampion; 2020-02-24 at 03:01 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Fey Ranger is definitely an "Oh, my~!" kind of thing. Bonus damage that works with two-weapon fighting, smiting with a rider, social bonuses when needed, and the ability to make something pretty much ignore you for a day. It's just so bloody tasty. I'll admit, this Ranger just plain seems too good compared to others, but as this is the Ranger class we're talking about, I don't feel so bad about that.

The Druid looks fun and tickles my astronomy interest. Perhaps not the strongest looking thing, but thematic feeling.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the idea of the armorer but it would need to be toned back.
    The spells alone are enough to give me pause. Magic missile + SSI is iffy.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

13. - Top - End - #13

SolithKnightGuy

An Ancients Paladin, an Archfey Warlock, a Fey Wanderer Ranger, and a Twilight Druid walk into a tavern...
    Could be a fun campaign!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

The Armorer artificer seems to be the best parts of the battlesmith and artillerist in one package.

The stars druid seems very strong, like there's never a reason not to be in starry form when in a fight. You get 2/SR, after all. And multiple free Guiding Bolts a day? This seems to almost be a better version of the Land Druid's recovery.

I agree that Fey Druid is strong, I also like that they recognized (finally!) that dual-wielding ranger is iconic yet janky in action economy, so if you dual wield you can still turn on your "every turn do this" free hunters mark.

15. - Top - End - #15

HalflingRogueGuy

It's Iron Man time! Guardian Armorer is insanely good- you essentially have a massive passive regen going all the time at the cost of a bonus action, plus abilities to make enemies target you. Definitely an overpowered tank. Infiltrator looks significantly weaker in comparison- the level 15 ability is neat but it's still not very much damage. Mind Sharpener is also obscenely good and needs some kind of nerf to offset its immediate availability.

Circle of Stars sounds extremely cool and is pretty ok in practice. Dragon Form is amazing early on but will fall off eventually, so I'd probably go Chalice at higher levels. Archer is the weakest of the 3 except at Tier 1 play. Star Flare is neat but should be save for half damage instead of no effect. Don't have many problems with this overall.

Fey Wanderer is another weird Ranger. I don't like so many abilities involving fear/charm, but at least it oftens provides a straight damage alternative. I'm not sure how I feel about Dreadful Strikes- sure you can use it for two-handed fighting, but it still only applies once per enemy. This feels like a step in the right direction for a Ranger but doesn't really hot the mark for me. Misty Presence is undeniably awesome though.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Fey Wanderer, on the other hand... is this is the first time we've actually gotten a damage-boosting feature that supports using two-weapon fighting with it?
    Yeah, but not really. It's once per round.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessEternal View Post
    Yeah, but not really. It's once per round.
    It also automatically makes your weapons magical.

That alone is borderline insanity. A bit campaign dependent, sure, but in something like Avernus where itís full of fiends with resistance to non-magical weapons?

It instantly jumps to gold-tier, if weíre talking Handbook terms. Compare that to Devotion Paladin, which can use its Channel Divinity to make a weapon magical and give +Cha Mod to attack rolls for a minute.

Itís a damn good ability. Yes, the +1d6 damage is limited to once per turn, but you also never have to worry about Resistance. And at 7 you can Smite once per turn.

As far as Ranger strength levels are concerned, this is damn near top of the list. Possibly at the very top.

18. - Top - End - #18

SolithKnightGuy

If you use FW's DS with dual wielding, wouldn't it activate after the attack action? If so, DS would only make the one bonus attack count as magical.
    Probably not RAI but it seems RAW to me.
    Last edited by CheddarChampion; 2020-02-24 at 03:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    It also automatically makes your weapons magical.
    Yes, this is very good for a low level feature.

That said, one kinda odd thing to note is that if you are two weapon fighting, you may activate it with the TWF bonus action. But because the TWF bonus action requires you to first make an attack with your action, your first attack will never be magical if you TWF. And if you are trying to spread around your hits to maximize total damage, you can't get any extra psychic damage from TWF.

Sadly, this means that while the feature was clearly designed to work with the TWF style, and does not totally conflict with it, it's best bonuses can't be used to their fullest extent with that style.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ouch, good catch. That really takes the wind out my sails.

To be honest, WotC wrote themselves into a corner with their TWF rules. I understand what they were trying to get at with this feature, but RAW it seems to fall flat.

21. - Top - End - #21

Imp

TWF is balanced if you change 'use your bonus action' to 'once per round on your turn.' I've been using it for my games and it's perfect.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Iron Man Artificer. Can't say it wasn't anticipated.

Tools of the Trade: Yep, all good
    Armorer spells: Very potent spread of spells there, even on a half caster
    Power Armor: Doesn't actually automatically give you a certain set of armor which is nice, no getting free full plate in games where that wouldn't fit. Solid feature.
    Armor Model: We're copying the same stat-to damage mistake that the Hexblade made. Please don't do that. This feature also makes level 3 very busy with very strong and versatile features. Guardian especially looks strong, though I'll leave it to playtesting to show how strong.
    Extra Attack: Nothing to see here
    Armor modifications: This is a mermaid problem, I don't see anywhere previously where I couldn't enchant my boots without affecting my heavy armor. The extra infusion slots just for your armor is solid enough.
    Perfected armor: Guardian's Pull 'within 5 feet' instead of 'within your reach' is a small thing that always annoys me. Otherwise this seems fine
    Infusions: Mind Sharpener is incredibly strong and needs a pre-req or nerf, the rest seem fine

overall impression: Will probably need some tweaking (the traditional UA toning back) but it's solid. I feel sort of conflicted thinking of artificers that want to be more than one gimmick with this subclass, or other subclasses that want to incorporate the enchanted armor concept. At least some infusions help with that.

Star Druid
    Star Map: Pretty good, I like it although that said 3-5 extra Guiding Bolts at level 2 is huge. But it's comparing to moon druid so okay
    Starry Form: You can wildshape into a glowstick, for some reason that just makes me giggle. Thank god you don't have 12 starsigns to choose from.
    Cosmic Omen: Neat and solid, reminds me of that fortune bard homebrew. Which is really good by the way, go look it up.
    Full of Stars: But can't phase through stuff? Missed opportunity there.
    Star Fire: The teleport could be worded better, took me three reads to figure out that you aren't shuffling people around within the AoE but moving them up to 30' away from the 30' area. The damage is low, but at least it has two riders and a recharge.

overall impression: This is pretty good, I like it. If we had a season druid and a star druid in the next big subclass book that would round out the druid really well.

Fey Ranger
    Fey wanderer: We have seen this fluff before. I don't like repeats.
    Fey magic: oh look, more free spells while the players handbook subclasses get ignored. It's lovely that you guys have recognised this issue, now do you mind addressing it in a way that doesn't make your own core +1 rule even harder to work with?
    Cunning will: functional if boring.
    Dreadful strikes: Again we're overloading the first level breakpoint, this is a consistent pattern lately. This also is just a way to deal with the hunter's mark and TWF problems. Great for THIS subclass, but what about all the others? Don't fix these things with subclasses!
    Blessing of the courts: It's a smite for the ranger.
    Beguiling twist: This is neat, it works with your allies' attempts to charm/frighten as well as your own.
    Misty presence: A proper stealth feature. It's good, I like it.

overall impression: The fluff is a paper-thin cover to the mechanical fixes this subclass seeks to introduce. This is treating symptoms, not the cause.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

One important note for the new ranger BA buff: it applies only once per creature per turn, not once per turn. So TWF still gets the buff if you're in the middle of a bunch of enemies.

Still disappointing, I agree, but it is technically possible to get the bonus damage on all your attacks if you're in the thick of it.

24. - Top - End - #24

The fey ranger is all well and good, but it gets into some fiddly rules territory even though it's gone out of its way to try and allow TWF. Since the bonus action used for TWF is predicated on taking the attack action and having attacked with a light melee weapon already, your first strike can't benefit from Dreadful strikes. It's just a bit weird.

Overall, the subclasses look strong, I'm just not very enthused with the flavor personally. The artificer subclass specifically is just so... extra, and over the top. I think with minor tweaking it could be tailored into a cyrborg/magitech style fusion of man and machine that I would appreciate the flavor of more.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

A very good catch on that, regarding Dreadful Strikes and the order in which TWF occurs.

Iíve brought it up to the design team via Twitter. As per usual, Iíll report back if I hear anything.

I CAN clarify something that I thought of: Power Armor says it encompasses your whole body. It doesnít prevent any sort of flight, swim speed, climb speed, etc.

Sooooo go ahead and make Vulture from Spider Man!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I am perhaps too surprised that we're actually getting more Artificer subclasses now. I guess there was a part of me that thought maybe they wouldn't support it since it's not in the phb. But anyway...

We Loadin' now boys.

Seriously this just has to confirm someone on the staff plays Risk of Rain. when I first saw the Artillerist and their turrets I thought to myself "gee this sounds a lot like the Engineer from Risk of Rain. What a coincidence!"

Now I see this Armorer and I think to myself "Gee this sounds a lot like the Loader from Risk of Rain. This can't be a coincidence!"

Both this subclass and the Loader have giant punch gauntlets and a barrier effect. The "Pulling Force" of the 15th level ability does basically the same thing as the Loader's grappling hook. I suppose the infiltrator's lightning blast could be construed as the Loader's tesla coil but really it's more like Iron Man's hand blasters, although it's odd they went with lightning damage as I always thought Iron Man's Iron Blasts were more radiant or even force.

The Druid subclass is something I would expect out of a Wizard subclass. I feel like a Wizard would be more like to explore astrological zodiac mumbo jumbo but I would expect a Star themed Druid to be more about cosmic machinery, like the pulling of the tides by the moon or dealing with star power or gravity like that Graviturgist class in that new critical role book (but then I guess we have the Graviturgist for that). Like the Druid should focus on the natural forces of the world instead of some nonsense hocus pocus which is clearly the Wizard's wheelhouse.

The Fey Ranger just seems really solid all around. Most Ranger subclasses are quite a bit less solid than this by my reckoning. Advantage to stave off charms and fears are a nice defensive benefit without simply adding on AC, deft strike isn't super flashy but two-weapon fighting support and not having to concentrate is nice I suppose. And I'm surprised at how okay I am with just...giving Ranger smites. Just give Ranger smites. **** that was the answer all along wasn't it? These don't even scale but with all the little fiddly bits of Ranger (Hunter's Mark, Two-Weapon Fighting for another chance to smite, this subclass's own bonus action d6) just having them at all means the Paladin doesn't outpace quite so hard. They even give you a fear/charm freebie to make it a bit more powerful and different at the same time.

Definitely like this UA more than I dislike it. Would like to see the angle of the Star Druid changed but I wouldn't be too salty if they kept it as is.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

I especially love how the Fey Wanderer gets a Smite at 7, which can cause the enemy to Fear you.

This interaction with their lv11 feature is very, very solid.

Now, note the lv11 feature. Whenever any creature succeeds on a Charm or Fear save. So if youíre with, say, a Conquest Paladin.... youíre quite a formidable duo.

Of course you could try to get spells like Cause Fear (a lv1 spell) or Fear (lv3) on your list. So you can at worst use your Reaction to deal 3d10 Psychic. Not bad, not bad.

28. - Top - End - #28

That ranger is liable to get hit by the mother of all nerf bats, and that's too bad. I think if the other ranger subclasses were about this strong, people wouldn't be complaining about the ranger. Even with smites, it defines itself differently enough from how a paladin plays while still being useful and good in a fight. This really should be the standard.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    That ranger is liable to get hit by the mother of all nerf bats, and that's too bad. I think if the other ranger subclasses were Ranger was about this strong, people wouldn't be complaining about the ranger. Even with smites, it defines itself differently enough from how a paladin plays while still being useful and good in a fight. This really should be the standard.
    Fixed that for you

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarChampion View Post
    An Ancients Paladin, an Archfey Warlock, a Fey Wanderer Ranger, and a Twilight Druid walk into a tavern...
    Could be a fun campaign!
    And of course, they were all brought into that tavern by the song of a Glamour Bard.