New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Loading and/or speed issues

Please use this thread to report any major loading and/or speed issues with the forum. Please don't report if a single page load or post took a while to load or submit, just if there is a continuing issue over a period of time.

Please include the following information:
    • When it started
    • When it finished (or if still ongoing)
    • Your timezone
    • Your region (Country at the very minimum, but state/providence would be very helpful—and city too—if you are happy to drill down that far)
    • The browser(s) and device(s) you are using
    • Details of the issue, including approximate wait times and any error messages

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Forum Errors and Glitches - Report Issues Here

Rawhide,

Please be aware I'm experiencing significant slowdown in loading time of all pages of the forum, for the last 30 minutes or so - including a good 20 seconds to load this topic & another 15-ish to load the "reply to thread".

ETA: posting itself was 30 seconds, and accessing the Edit Post section, 15.

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-02-24 at 11:38 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Rawhide,

Please be aware I'm experiencing significant slowdown in loading time of all pages of the forum, for the last 30 minutes or so - including a good 20 seconds to load this topic & another 15-ish to load the "reply to thread".

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    If it is not your end, then I think that was actually a CloudFlare issue. I'm seeing no over-saturation of resources, but I was temporarily unable to ping the CloudFlare managed IP.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Rawhide,

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Can confirm; I'm experiencing this issue as well, with similar loadtimes.

I'm currently using the Safari app on my iPad to browse the forums (and am experiencing this issue on this device), if that is at all relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    If it is not your end, then I think that was actually a CloudFlare issue. I'm seeing no over-saturation of resources, but I was temporarily unable to ping the CloudFlare managed IP.
    I gave it an hour, but upon returning to see your answer, I've been getting a large amount of error 522 (timeout between the cloudflare network and the web server, according to the page). The error claims that cloudflare is "working" and that the forums are in "error". I was even informed a couple of times that the site was down and offered a cache'ed version. I have a screenshot & a "Ray ID" in case either are relevant.

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-02-24 at 01:54 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

6. - Top - End - #6

Default Re: Loading and/or speed issues

I've moved this discussion to a thread of its own, and updated the first post to request more information about the issue. Please check the first post and fill in as much of that information as you can remember.

7. - Top - End - #7

I gave it an hour, but upon returning to see your answer, I've been getting a large amount of error 522 (timeout between the cloudflare network and the web server, according to the page). The error claims that cloudflare is "working" and that the forums are in "error". I was even informed a couple of times that the site was down and offered a cache'ed version. I have a screenshot & a "Ray ID" in case either are relevant.
    I'm not seeing any major or out of the ordinary spikes or dips in any of the server resources, and I was able to connect during that same period at full speed. This makes me suspect that the 522 page CloudFlare displayed was incorrect, or that there was a network issue between a specific CloudFlare region and the server. Either way, the issues so far seem to be only affecting people using your regional edge servers. I will continue to monitor this and have moved this to a new thread (as noted above) in order to better determine the cause.

8. - Top - End - #8

Using a proxy server, I have connected to the forums from the same general location as believe you are, and confirmed that the site does appear to be loading slower. I switched to a different proxy server in the same country, and the site loads just fine.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Just wanted to say that last night (after your most recent post) the forums were still very slow to navigate (15-20 seconds per click) but this morning things are incredibly snappy and responsive.

Bellevue/NE
    Google Chrome

10. - Top - End - #10

SolithKnightGuy

Follow up - About 30 minutes after my last post the site crashed on me and wouldn't load for a few minutes. Then it started working again and was fast again. Now it's taking about 20 seconds per click again.

I'm guessing there's stuff going on behind the scenes but figured I'd post this update just in case it was relevant at all.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Please use this thread to report any major loading and/or speed issues with the forum. Please don't report if a single page load or post took a while to load or submit, just if there is a continuing issue over a period of time.

• When it started
    • Your timezone
    • Your region (Country at the very minimum, but state/providence would be very helpful—and city too—if you are happy to drill down that far)
    - Issue has persisted since the forum came back up.
    - still ongoing
    - PST
    - LA area, California, USA
    - Issue occurred on both Firefox and Chrome.
    - It either takes excessively long to load pages on the forum, OR gives me a page saying ERROR 522: Connection timed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    - Issue has persisted since the forum came back up.
    - still ongoing
    - PST
    - LA area, California, USA
    - Issue occurred on both Firefox and Chrome.
    - It either takes excessively long to load pages on the forum, OR gives me a page saying ERROR 522: Connection timed out.

Same as LudicSavant with the exception of it happening in Houston, TX

13. - Top - End - #13

Same problem as LudicSavant and OzDragon except in the Philippines (GMT+8). Been barely able to even access the forums. This has resulted in a severe bottleneck for a game I'm recruiting for.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Same. It comes and goes in bursts, sometimes lasting hours at a time.

Singapore, using safari on iPhone.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

15. - Top - End - #15

Are you still experiencing issues? Would like everyone to report back.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Loading speed is back to normal from my end.

Grey Wolf

17. - Top - End - #17

It seems to be working fine at the moment but I think it should be kept under observation for a while more.

18. - Top - End - #18

It seems to be working okay now. Will post again if that changes.
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

19. - Top - End - #19

SolithKnightGuy

Things seem good this morning.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

It seemed to be normal today, no issues
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

21. - Top - End - #21

I've made a change which might mean that these speed issues could return. Please remember to include the following information:

• When it started
    • Your timezone
    Also, please include a screenshot if you get a 522 (or other Cloudflare) error.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I've made a change which might mean that these speed issues could return. Please remember to include the following information:

Don't have a place to host the screenshot, but this was the text at the top:
    Error 520 Ray ID: 56f4cff06e42d292 • 2020-03-05 15:18:54 UTC
    Web server is returning an unknown error

Under it, a simplified picture claiming the forum.giantitp.com host is in "Error" and cloudflare is "Working"

When it started: just now, maybe two minutes ago, by the time I post this
    When it finished (or if still ongoing): ongoing
    Not really comfortable giving any location data. You as and admin can probably figure it out, but I'd rather not simply state it outright.
    Using Firefox on windows.
    Wait times are not as bad as last time, maybe 10-15 seconds, when the page loads.

Grey Wolf

23. - Top - End - #23

I've once again made a change which might mean that these speed issues could return. Please remember to include the following information:

• When it started
    • Your timezone

P.S. The main site is also (finally) moved over to the new server.

24. - Top - End - #24

No issues for me currently.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

no issues for me either at this point, will give a shout if I have any.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I am experiencing no issues at current. There was a brief moment yesterday when it was taking maybe an extra second or two to load the pages, but nothing worth mentioning at the time, and whatever it was, it's not happening anymore.

Grey Wolf

27. - Top - End - #27

SolithKnightGuy

I check the forums probably 2-3 times per day and have not noticed any issues since my last post (about 2/26).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure if it's appropriate to post here. Lot of slowdown today (April 1st...what a day to pick) and loading problems. Had been good up to 2am GMT then hit a wall. Using Firefox, am in the United States and the loading issues have continued up to 3am GMT.

Edit: Issues seems to have cleared at 3:12am. GMT.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-04-01 at 05:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Not sure if it's appropriate to post here. Lot of slowdown today (April 1st...what a day to pick) and loading problems. Had been good up to 2am GMT then hit a wall. Using Firefox, am in the United States and the loading issues have continued up to 3am GMT.

Edit: Issues seems to have cleared at 3:12am. GMT.
    I'm also experiencing heavy but somewhat inconsistent slowdowns - sometimes it takes 30 seconds to load a page, sometimes I get a 500 Internal server error, sometimes it loads instantly, as of the posting of this message.

Grey Wolf

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'm also experiencing heavy but somewhat inconsistent slowdowns - sometimes it takes 30 seconds to load a page, sometimes I get a 500 Internal server error, sometimes it loads instantly, as of the posting of this message.

Grey Wolf
    I have exactly the same issues. I work with Edge on a windows 10 PC.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."