New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Main site problem

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    This thread is for forum issues only, please.

That said, please check the link/bookmark you are using, or the URL you are typing in the address bar to make sure you are going to http://www.giantitp.com, and double check that it is http:// not https:// (only the forums are https at the moment) and includes the www. The site should still redirect you if any of those are missing, but sometimes your browser could experience errors.
    Sorry for posting in the wrong thread before.

I did not use a bookmark, but the link from the Site Navigation here at the forum. But if nobody else got a problem, it's propably on my end. I will try again tomorrow.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Main site problem

Having nearly the same problem. All links, images, comics, and redirects that are under the www . giantitp . com site will have the trailing slash of the main site clipped from the address.
    So, for example, www . giantitp . com/comics . html gets turned into www . giantitp . comcomics . html. Therefore, all images and links on the main page of www . giantitp . com are unloadable.
    Using the latest version of Firefox.
    The site works fine using MS Edge.
    This started happening around Monday, Feb 24, 2020.

(Sorry, had to separate the addresses with spaces since the site won't let me post links, and it automatically turns anything that looks like a URL into a link.)
    Last edited by larper; 2020-02-27 at 02:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by larper View Post
    Having nearly the same problem. All links, images, comics, and redirects that are under the www . giantitp . com site will have the trailing slash of the main site clipped from the address.
    So, for example, www . giantitp . com/comics . html gets turned into www . giantitp . comcomics . html. Therefore, all images and links on the main page of www . giantitp . com are unloadable.
    Using the latest version of Firefox.
    The site works fine using MS Edge.
    This started happening around Monday, Feb 24, 2020.

(Sorry, had to separate the addresses with spaces since the site won't let me post links, and it automatically turns anything that looks like a URL into a link.)
    Same issue. Broken on Firefox, works on Edge. Latest comic is good as always.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    LISTENING to a VANISHED GOD
    Mythistorical bundle

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbius View Post
    Same issue. Broken on Firefox, works on Edge. Latest comic is good as always.
    Ok, think I figured it out. This will affect all Firefox users that automatically update their Firefox browser.

Mozilla is releasing DoH on by default. The giantitp website does not use https. For whatever reason, navigating to simple http addresses is not being resolved correctly by Firefox using the DoH servers. I fixed the problem by adding the giantitp domain to the network.trr.excluded-domains setting in about:config.

Hopefully, when Mozilla rolls out DoH for real, they will have resolved this problem.
    Last edited by larper; 2020-02-27 at 04:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Firefox version 73.0.1 (64-bit) here, and I am pretty sure it is set to auto-update - I cannot reproduce this problem so I don't think it is simply "Firefox", there must be more to it than that. Are you using a mobile version of firefox or the full browser? (I am using the full browser.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Firefox version 73.0.1 (64-bit) here, and I am pretty sure it is set to auto-update - I cannot reproduce this problem so I don't think it is simply "Firefox", there must be more to it than that. Are you using a mobile version of firefox or the full browser? (I am using the full browser.)
    Same version, full browser.

All I can say is that once I found out that Mozilla was turning on DoH today, it sounded like it might be the problem. So I researched how to turn it off. Adding giantitp to the exclusion list seemed the best option and it cleared up the problem immediately.

Could also have something to do with the combination of 73.0.1 and the OS. Windows 10 here.
    Last edited by larper; 2020-02-27 at 05:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Interesting. I didn't change anything about the config list and my excluded domains remain blank, but the problem with main page has gone away in Firefox now.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    LISTENING to a VANISHED GOD
    Mythistorical bundle

8. - Top - End - #8
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

The problem isn't with DoH (DNS over HTTPS). Our DNS servers support HTTPS. There's a bug in Firefox causing it to behave differently to every other browser on redirects. No big deal, the problem fixes itself after the first error, unless you also have another setting in Cloudflare enabled which causes it to trigger every single request. I just happened to fix it when you made the change.

I can't wait to be rid of this old server entirely.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I can't wait to be rid of this old server entirely.
    If I may ask, is that the patreon-backed plan, or an idle wish?

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    If I may ask, is that the patreon-backed plan, or an idle wish?

Grey Wolf
    It's happening.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

There's a bug in Firefox causing it to behave differently to every other browser on redirects. No big deal, the problem fixes itself after the first error

Sorry, I'm no tech guru, but this is definitely not a Bug in Firefox.
    When trying to GET giantitp.com/comics/oots1193.html
    The server replies with
    Code:
    301 Moved Permanently
    [...]
    in the header, and Firefoy does the only right thing: redirecting to the URL given in the location header,
    and caching that answer, not trying to connect to /comics/oots1193.html again (because its 301'ed).

And at least for me the Problem does not solve itself: sometimes the site does load, sometimes it doesn't.
    Deactivating the cache helped alot, but the site is still not working reliable.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by f00bar View Post
    Sorry, I'm no tech guru, but this is definitely not a Bug in Firefox.
    If you've got a problem that only occurs in one specific browser...

I've made some changes to accomodate Firefox.

P.S. If anyone is going to the old forums URL and doesn't get redirected to the new location, you're going to have some massive problems in a couple of weeks. Please ask your ISP why your DNS isn't updating.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Loading and/or speed issues

Cannot navigate to comic, and the giantitp main site will not load images. When attempting to view the latest OOtS comic, get a message saying the site is not redirecting correctly.

Firefox latest version.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by larper View Post
    Cannot navigate to comic, and the giantitp main site will not load images. When attempting to view the latest OOtS comic, get a message saying the site is not redirecting correctly.

Firefox latest version.
    To add to this, the problem seems to be related to either Firefox or a plug-in on Firefox, because I have the same problem but can see the comic properly on Chrome.

Plug-ins are Ghostery, Adblock Plus and Avast.
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2020-03-05 at 12:40 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    To add to this, the problem seems to be related to either Firefox or a plug-in on Firefox, because I have the same problem but can see the comic properly on Chrome.

Plug-ins are Ghostery, Adblock Plus and Avast.
    I use Adblock as well.

The real issue is, none of these problems occurred until Feb 25th or so. It is either the latest version of Firefox where it turned on new security features by default, or it has something to do with changes to the site in support of the new forums.

16. - Top - End - #16

The main website is now on the new server and using https exclusively. Old links should redirect.

P.S. If anyone is going to the old forums URL and doesn't get redirected to the new location, you're going to have some massive problems in a couple of weeks. Please ask your ISP why your DNS isn't updating.
    If you're having any issues, check the above link. If it doesn't redirect you, complain to your ISP. Your DNS should have stopped using that IP address months ago.