New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVII - When you Wish upon a Stat...

Yeah, I did some fairly extensive searching and couldn't find a 3.x source for Phantasmal Force, so presumably we should list it in V's spellbook as a spell of unknown level - maybe 0th or 1st, given its apparent effects here.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Silent Image fits the bill nicely and V is known to already have it. That V calls it Phantasmal Force is likely just a hold-over.

Note that Silent Image in #750 is not explicitly named.
    Last edited by Quartz; 2020-03-31 at 03:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Yeah, I did some fairly extensive searching and couldn't find a 3.x source for Phantasmal Force, so presumably we should list it in V's spellbook as a spell of unknown level - maybe 0th or 1st, given its apparent effects here.
    Surely, it's at least equivalent to the 1st level Silent Image?

Looking at the pre-3.5e versions at https://deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2012/...al-forces.html [where the spell is said to have "ping-ponged around different levels more than any other spell in the game (initially 2nd, then 3rd, then 1st)"], the main common link differentiating it from Silent Image appears to be that they can cause damage - actual (lethal in 3.5e terms) in earlier editions or illusionary (non-lethal) in later editions if you fail to disbelieve it. Meanwhile, Phantasmal Killer is still in 3.5e SRD, giving a Will Save to disbelieve (no damage); then if that's failed, a Fortitude Save to avoid death (with 3d6 of lethal damage on a passed save).

The other X Image spells of similar level in 3.5e are Minor Image (2nd, Silent Image+limited sound) and Major Image (Silent Image+full sound, smell & heat illusion). None of these X Image spells can cause damage, lethal or otherwise.

Putting these together, I'd say that to be meaningfully distinct from the Image line, Phantasmal Force has to retain the potential for damage - probably with the dual Will+Fort saves of Killer - but not an instakill like Killer, even on a double-failed save. So 2nd or 3rd level depending on what sort of damage it can do, higher than Silent Image (since it can clearly duplicate that, unless the range is hugely reduced) but lower than Phantasmal Killer. The only wrinkle there is that P-Killer is Instantaneous, while V indicates they can alter this while in use, like the Image line.

Also, the source for V having Silent Image at all is a silent strip. Quite possibly they used Phantasmal Force there instead.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2020-03-31 at 03:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MultitudeMan View Post
    Ah, OK, my Google-fu must be failing me, as D&D Tools doesn't list it, nor does a generic search. Is it automatically legal due to being in an earlier edition, or is it in a sourcebook that I haven't found?
    Imean, it's legal in the same way the Assassin Ball, a spherical creature I just invented which is made up of nine butts that attacks by ramming into its enemies and has a Fear aura that makes all enemies run away as it rolls towards them is legal.

D&D is a hell of a game.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Silent Image fits the bill nicely and V is known to already have it. That V calls it Phantasmal Force is likely just a hold-over.
    Figment (Silent/etc Image) and Phantasm (e.g., Phantasmal Killer) are different sub-schools of Illusion.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2020-03-31 at 06:03 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Surely, it's at least equivalent to the 1st level Silent Image?
    Thanks for pointing that out. I was thinking that there was a cantrip equivalent of 5e's Minor Illusion in 3.x, but evidently I was getting my editions confused. It really is awfully inconvenient to follow OOTS and my own personal 5e campaign at the same time. (Especially because I tend to use Minor Illusion to do exactly what V just did with my own wizard characters.)

I still want to say that it's 1st level, based on that being the most recent antecedent, as well as the fact that V would be more likely to use Silent Image or to let Haley give oral intelligence if the alternative was burning a slot higher than 1st level. But it's certainly not clear-cut.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

I second the notion that Elan could be using minor image here. Totally within character to be burning a 2nd-level spell to make a joke, especially one that enhances dramatic effect...

Heck in OotS-world, making the exposition more dramatic probably gives plot bonuses.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post

Note that Silent Image in #750 is not explicitly named.
    Good point, so should we just ask Kurald Galain to replace Silent Image with Phantasmal Force in V's spell list?

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    I second the notion that Elan could be using minor image here. Totally within character to be burning a 2nd-level spell to make a joke, especially one that enhances dramatic effect...

Heck in OotS-world, making the exposition more dramatic probably gives plot bonuses.
    I third this, particularly given the visible notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MultitudeMan View Post
    So, what do we do with V's casting of Phantasmal Force?
    Phantasmal Force is the 1E/2E name for Silent Image. You can find this in the free 2E-to-3E conversion manual. This is the same as 5E's Silent Image spell; 5E also has a Phantasmal Force spell that is unrelated (and doesn't match what is depicted in comic 1197).
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Phantasmal Force is the 1E/2E name for Silent Image. You can find this in the free 2E-to-3E conversion manual.
    Not exactly. While the spell had been nerfed already by 2E, 2E Phantasmal Force retained a chance to kill you, whereas 3.5E Silent Image is a Figment sub-school spell and as such forbidden from causing any sort of damage, except through indirect means such as disguise.

Meanwhile, 3.5E Phantasm sub-school spells (e.g., Phantasmal Killer) can absolutely still kill you, and work slightly differently overall (they project images straight into the brain of a subject or subjects, rather than a 'hologram' perceivable by anyone). With a name like "Phantasmal Force", you would expect it to be in the Phantasm sub-school, not Figment...

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

OK, so does the use of this spell mean that V has been around for at least one edition conversion before the one pictured in strip #1? That V was originally in 2nd edition, or maybe even 1st, within the OOTSverse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

12. - Top - End - #162

Well, if Haley's father was a 1st Edition thief, and he's younger than Vaarsuvius, it's no real stretch of the imagination to say they started under 2E rules.

I mean, we all know the real story is Rich ignores the ruleset as much as possible these days, but the above works.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Well, if Haley's father was a 1st Edition thief, and he's younger than Vaarsuvius, it's no real stretch of the imagination to say they started under 2E rules.

I mean, we all know the real story is Rich ignores the ruleset as much as possible these days, but the above works.
    This is inconsistent with #340. V states that when they chose their barred schools, Teleport was in the Transmutation school. In 3.5 it was changed to Conjuration. In 2nd Edition, Teleport is in the Alteration school (the equivalent of 3e Transmutation). Furthermore barred schools (called Opposition Schools) are not chosen in 2e, but rather are fixed based on the specialty as those diametrically opposed to the school on the Schools of Magic diagram.

So based on the fact that V chose their barred schools, and that one of the schools of magic was called Transmutation, we know for a fact that V began 1st level as 3e Evoker.

I suppose if you want they could have started their career as some sort of 2e class that could cast Phantasmal Force, and then multi-classed as a 3e Evoker after the universal laws were revised for 3e.

Then again maybe V is actually an Expert.

edit: also Elves can't be Invokers in 2e.
    Last edited by knag; 2020-04-01 at 04:59 PM. Reason: 2e info
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I'm just going to assume Aarindarius had some 2e or earlier spellbooks in their study and that's what V learned the spell from.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

I believe Lauren’s Wormhole power is from 2e Dark Sun anyways, so... yeah.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post

Then again maybe V is actually an Expert.
    Clearly, this.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

So based on the starter post, I assume we have no evidence as to what Durkon's domains would be? (I was idly curious and was surprised that it doesn't seem to be listed.) Are all of his (named) spells from the standard Cleric list?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    So based on the starter post, I assume we have no evidence as to what Durkon's domains would be? (I was idly curious and was surprised that it doesn't seem to be listed.) Are all of his (named) spells from the standard Cleric list?
    You're probably missing the reference to the Good domain because it's mentioned in a really odd place...Durkon's used holy smite, which isn't on the standard cleric list.

It's unclear what his other domain is; presumably it's connected to Thor's lightning somehow....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

I can easily see Thor's Lightning being a re-flavored Chain Lightning, and even though Weather Control is on the standard cleric list, it does seem to be something of Thor's domain, which would make the second one Air if so.

Limiting to the SRD, of course. it may not be SRD.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    I can easily see Thor's Lightning being a re-flavored Chain Lightning, and even though Weather Control is on the standard cleric list, it does seem to be something of Thor's domain, which would make the second one Air if so.

Limiting to the SRD, of course. it may not be SRD.
    However in its first appearance (and IIRC several others) it matches up with Call Lightning, which is a lower level Druid spell which is not in any domain.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

21. - Top - End - #171
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    However in its first appearance (and IIRC several others) it matches up with Call Lightning, which is a lower level Druid spell which is not in any domain.
    Plus, in the Dungeon Crawling Fools's intro, Durkon actually casts with the words "Call Lightning" rather than "Thor's Lightning".

It's speculated that he may have something oddball - Weather Domain, or possibly a custom one.

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    I can easily see Thor's Lightning being a re-flavored Chain Lightning
    As mentioned a few threads back:

Quote Originally Posted by ArkenBrony View Post
    here maleck states it's a 3rd level spell, so lightning bolt would b more appropriate. i don't know what domain, if any, fits that.
    the one used against Malack was 3rd level, and functioned most like Lightning Bolt.

Possibly Durkon has several lightning-based spells, and usually calls them "Thor's lightning" - with the DCF intro scene being a rare case where he uses the spell's actual name.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-04-03 at 01:44 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

My search has lead me to the Storm Domain which has Call Lightning and Weather Control, but not any other lightning spells of note, instead it has things like Sleet Storm and Ice Storm. I think it was in a Faerun splat.

Edit: Indeed it is. Player's Guide to Faerun, pg.91.
    Last edited by JumboWheat01; 2020-04-03 at 02:13 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    As mentioned earlier one of the domains is good.

I couldn't find it with a quick search, but I do recall that awhile ago someone did a pretty through analysis of domains based off of spells cast in the Draketooth's pyramid back. If I recall correctly they were looking at the number of high level spells cast in the day and it was determined that at least one of them must be a domain spell, then they looked at which domains provided one of those spells cast that day.

Anyways from that the individual got a list of 4 or 5 potential domains for Durkon's second domain, and most of them were pretty obscure. However, one of the domains was Healing. Given that all the other options were obscure and didn't fit Durkon at all, and that he does appear to play as a Healbot most of the time, my personal head cannon is that Durkon's other domain is Healing, it just fits him so perfectly. However, since there were other options, no matter how obscure, we couldn't definitively say that was the case.

Perhaps if someone could do a similar analysis on other big fight scenes to see if there are any other days where we can deduce that he must have been using a domain spell based off of his maximum spells cast, and then we could see rather we could further narrow down the domain based off of potential domain spells cast on each day, but that seems quite a bit of work and I'm way too lazy to do it!

Until then Durkon will be my Good loving Healbot in my headcannon :)

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsollen View Post
    As mentioned earlier one of the domains is good.

I couldn't find it with a quick search, but I do recall that awhile ago someone did a pretty through analysis of domains based off of spells cast in the Draketooth's pyramid back. If I recall correctly they were looking at the number of high level spells cast in the day and it was determined that at least one of them must be a domain spell, then they looked at which domains provided one of those spells cast that day.

Anyways from that the individual got a list of 4 or 5 potential domains for Durkon's second domain, and most of them were pretty obscure. However, one of the domains was Healing. Given that all the other options were obscure and didn't fit Durkon at all, and that he does appear to play as a Healbot most of the time, my personal head cannon is that Durkon's other domain is Healing, it just fits him so perfectly. However, since there were other options, no matter how obscure, we couldn't definitively say that was the case.

Perhaps if someone could do a similar analysis on other big fight scenes to see if there are any other days where we can deduce that he must have been using a domain spell based off of his maximum spells cast, and then we could see rather we could further narrow down the domain based off of potential domain spells cast on each day, but that seems quite a bit of work and I'm way too lazy to do it!

Until then Durkon will be my Good loving Healbot in my headcannon :)
    I think what we concluded was that all of the SRD explanations were sufficiently convoluted that's really likely he has some kind of custom (or maybe splatbook) domain, and if he has a Thor domain then it becomes hard for say way his second domain is either.

It might be that we just discarded healing because it's so sub-optimal a domain to take, which isn't usually a reason for us to discard anything at all.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Literally all the spells from that domain are also on the standard list.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

I am sorry for interrupting the converstion of this topic. My knowledge on 3.5 is almost completely non-existant and I might be making a foolish assumption here (since I am basing it on my knowledge of pathfinder) but shouldnt Durkon´s stat be 16-21? I am basing this on the fact that the 14-19 stats he had was calculated on what he could carry in earlier books. Since, it has been added to his items that he has a belt of giant strength that he adquired on the last book, shouldnt his stat increase accordingly to at least the lowest amount a belt of giant strength should give?

I hope I make my point clearly since english is not my first language and once again I apologize for the interruption. I am just wondering about this.
    Last edited by DaOldeWolf; 2020-04-04 at 12:10 AM.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

The lowest an actual Belt would have given is +4, actually, not including custom items, and the Hammer of Thunderbolts causes it to stack with the Gauntlets. Also that previous estimate may have included Bull’s Strength or Divine Power; I don’t know because I wasn’t there then.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2020-04-04 at 01:46 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    I am basing it on my knowledge of pathfinder
    Oh trust me, you have a pretty good grasp on 3.5 then.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Oh trust me, you have a pretty good grasp on 3.5 then.
    I mean, it’s not called 3.P or 3.75e for nothing.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Whatever Durkon's second domain is, it must be something with at least one lightning spell in it of some sort, because there's nothing that even vaguely resembles Thor's Lightning on the standard cleric list. It's a spell that he has because he's specifically a cleric of Thor, and that's what domains represent. We're probably not going to be able to figure out what the precise domain is, because it's portrayed so inconsistently, and it may well be a custom domain. But there are a whole lot of domains that we know it isn't.

Oh, and also, whatever domain it is must also include Control Winds, which also isn't on the cleric list.

And the spell that Vaarsuvius cast to show the terrain can't have been a phantasm spell, despite the name, because it's seen by everyone present, who all see it the same way. A phantasm wouldn't work that way. Everything we've seen with it points to it being a standard 1st-level Silent Image, with an archaic name.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics