New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Kobold Scout / Gloomstalker

Hello all,

I've recently picked up volo's guide, seen the kobold race and had the idea of RP'ing a kobold who's escaped the underdark with some magical knowledge of the drow (gloomstalker spells) but also the nimbleness of rogue (scout) as they've had to survive alone in the underdark for some time. However I'm not sure how to split the levels between the 2 classes? I was planning on them using a crossbow and staying at range for combat. Role-play is my main concern but I don't want to shy too far away from damage that he doesn't feel very effective in combat. I wonder if you had any suggestions that could assist?

Many thanks,

Eboweth

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Kobold Scout / Gloomstalker

Do you know if you want to be more Rogue or more Ranger? And what level will you be starting at? Personally I'd take Rogue to 4/5 and the rest of the levels in Ranger, but it depends what kind of feel you want for the character. In terms of order I'd go Gloom 4/Rogue x/Ranger x
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

It might be good to know what level you will start at.
    Gloomstalker 3+ makes sense for your backstory.
    Scout 2+ is needed for 'nimbleness.'

I say: Ranger 5, Rogue 3, Ranger +4, Rogue +4, Ranger +4. End result is Ranger 13/Rogue 7 for 4th level spells, extra attack and stalker's flurry, iron mind, uncanny dodge, evasion, 6 expertise, and 4 ASI's.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thanks for the replies. It's a campaign in the future, so not sure on level range / starting level yet.

In terms of the split I'm not really sure, I had the concept but no real idea how to mechanically execute it :/

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Gloomstalker 3 to keep sudden strike, 5 for extra attack, 7 for an early wisdom save proficiency, 8 for the asi and 9 for third level spells.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Eboweth View Post
    ... a kobold who's escaped the underdark with some magical knowledge of the drow (gloomstalker spells) but also the nimbleness of rogue (scout) as they've had to survive alone in the underdark for some time. ... I was planning on them using a crossbow and staying at range for combat. Role-play is my main concern but I don't want to shy too far away from damage that he doesn't feel very effective in combat.
    For RP purposes you probably want to go 75% gloomstalker, as more than 5 levels of rogue ever wont do much for you. There's a lot of flavor, especially underdark flavor from gloomstalker.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I made Kobold Gloom Stalker myself! He took a "Can't beat 'em? Join 'em!" mentality when adventurers cleared out the dungeon his tribe was living in. I didn't want him to be magical so I flavored his spells as gear and flavored thematic spells over powerful spells. Cure Wounds was just a bag of healing mushrooms for example, and Ensnaring Strike was a net with barbs.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

I have a V. Human Gloomstalker/Scout (PHB Ranger). I went GS5, then Rogue 3, then GS 7 and then Rogue 5. I'll probably go to Ranger 9 and then finish out Rogue, but Ranger 11 isn't off the table either. It's been a fairly smooth progression, but taking Ranger L6 sucked, and the ASI levels felt like they were spaced painfully far apart. You could go GS3/Rogue2 or Rogue 3/ GS all the way to 7 to start if you roll well and want the Expertise and Cunning Action ASAP. Cunning Action was probably the biggest boost to both fun and effectiveness for this character, in my opinion.

Re: ASI's...
    I started with Magic Initiate:Wizard for the Owl familiar, Mending (for arrows) and Control Flames (putting out the enemy campfire and taking advantage of the invisibility to dakvision trick). Then I bumped Dex to 18 at Ranger 4 and took Sharpshooter (to ignore cover... rarely use the -5+10) at Rogue 4. I am undecided about Dex 20 vs Alert for my next one.

Yes, I know having an 18 in my primary attack stat at CL 13 is considered sub-optimal, BUT having Archery style and Bracers of Archery means my effective Dex is 22 for attacks anyway, and this guy's nemesis for most of the campaign has been a Rakshasa with a pair of Goblin Rogue henchmen who are always under the Greater Invisibility spell somehow, so...

I sometimes kick myself for not going Assassin for 2 reasons.

1. The Scout reaction feature only works when the enemy ends its turn within 5' of you, not within it's reach, so you're screwed against big things with reach. It also kinda competes with Uncanny Dodge when you get that at Rogue 5.

2. As an archer with good Initiative, it can be tough to get Sneak Attack damage on your first round when enemies aren't in place. Sure, you can Cunning Action Hide, but then you're giving up a potential +3d6 from Hunter's Mark. Assassin gives you Advantage on enemies who haven't acted yet without taking your Bonus Action which lets you apply both HM and SA reliably.

That being said, he's a great character as-is and I have a blast playing him. The extra Expertise in Nature and Survival are super thematic for a Ranger and let me not feel bad about using the first 2 on Stealth and Athletics.

Don't worry about damage. This build does plenty of damage. He terrifies my DM so much that at CL 12 he STILL does not have a magic bow, and after wrecking sh** early on with the invisible-to-darkvision trick we had a whole story arc on the Elemental Plane of Fire where it was literally never dark. He is squishy in melee, though. Stay out of it if you can help it.