New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

Some people are calling him the Baron/Young Baron.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    By the way, I have been calling Gil the Baron, but he didn't take the title, did he? http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...0#.XqtpvagzaUl Unless he did later. Did anyone notice whether he's been called "Baron"?
    He took the title.

He didn't take the title at that time during the attack on Mechanicsburg when Klaus was missing, presumed dead. His objection was not to the title itself, but that they hadn't found the body and should have more faith in Klaus surviving and returning. Which of course Klaus did.

The time stop is something else. Gilgamesh knows where Klaus is and that he's out of action. Sometime between Klaus stopping time in Mechanicsburg and the story resuming two years later, Gilgamesh must have bowed to the inevitable and accepted the title, because after the two year time skip he is referred to as the baron by his subordinates, allies, and enemies. (Sometimes the young baron where needed to distinguish or to emphasize his inexperience)

Train monks:
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...4#.XqxE05lS_4E

Subordinates on Castle Wulfenbach
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...1#.XqxGKZlS_4E
    Last edited by Deliverance; 2020-05-01 at 11:14 AM.

3. - Top - End - #333

That might've been a nice save Seffie pulled off, IF Albia hadn't seen right through it. And humiliation is often the best punishment for anyone with a surfeit of pride.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Barbarian in the Playground

Albia 1, Seffie 0

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I notice that Albia wasn't all that impressed with Tweedle's claim to the throne of the Storm King.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

6. - Top - End - #336

She's seen a lot of claimants over the years centuries. And somehow, I doubt she was all that enthused about Andy either.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    She's seen a lot of claimants over the years centuries. And somehow, I doubt she was all that enthused about Andy either.
    She gave him a weapon. I think it was smasher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    She gave him a weapon. I think it was smasher.
    According to Violetta, yes. Still, if the Master of Paris said the truth, both of his weapons were made by Van Rijn (with his assistance), with Slasher being presented to Andronicus by VR himself. Wonder how Albia fits into that puzzle...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

9. - Top - End - #339
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    According to Violetta, yes. Still, if the Master of Paris said the truth, both of his weapons were made by Van Rijn (with his assistance), with Slasher being presented to Andronicus by VR himself. Wonder how Albia fits into that puzzle...
    Real life: I'm betting the Foglios forgot they'd had Violetta say that. In-Universe: The simplest explanation is that Violetta was misinformed.

10. - Top - End - #340

Or Albia paid Van Rijn to make it for her.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Why? Apparently he was alright before he got zombified.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Andy was the first Storm King and it certainly seems that Albia respected him. Claimants since then... not so much I suspect.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

13. - Top - End - #343

Rereading that section, does anyone else get the idea that Jenka was keeping Andy busy while Euphrosinia was sneaking around?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

I can't believe that Andronicus has no taste in women. Like, Jenka has fangs? And he needed them removed to seduce her? How common.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    Albia 1, Seffie 0
    Sure, she scored here, but wouldn't it be better for her "keep Gil away from Agatha" ploy to make the girl with similar intentions look presentable?

Seffie's chances might be low, but "helping" her would make her a tool for Albia instead of a potential obstacle.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I can't believe that Andronicus has no taste in women. Like, Jenka has fangs? And he needed them removed to seduce her? How common.
    Fortunately for dear Andy, may he rest in peace- and this time hopefully for real -the position of Storm King didn't require to have taste.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

16. - Top - End - #346

Who knows, maybe it was their secret kink, pulling huge teeth while having fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

We know that Andronicus had Jenka's fangs pulled (literally), and we have strong hints that there was a seduction (one way of the other). We don't know how they were related - for all we know, the order of events could have been seduction, disappearance of Euphrosinia, removal of fangs as revenge or during interrogation.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

That might've been a nice save Seffie pulled off, IF Albia hadn't seen right through it. And humiliation is often the best punishment for anyone with a surfeit of pride.
    She's going to hate it when in 5 years everyone starts wearing candy in their hair.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    She's going to hate it when in 5 years everyone starts wearing candy in their hair.
    Five years? Given fashion trends, five days at the most.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Colossus in the Playground

Hmm, are we meeting this settings sophie? Or whatever the new mistress of paris' name was.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

21. - Top - End - #351

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Hmm, are we meeting this settings sophie? Or whatever the new mistress of paris' name was.

Collette, Sophie was the ill-fated Geister-assisting revenant. But yeah, almost certainly. One of them is probably named Urania; she's been mentioned already in the main comic, and appeared in person in a side-story about Trelawney that Cheyenne Wright drew several years back. Even further back, she got mentioned on a cast-list the Foglios used to have posted on the GG site. (Technically, the list is still there, they just don't link to it anymore..)
    Last edited by geoduck; 2020-05-04 at 07:38 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

You have Urania (probably Neena, Ura-neena), [???], and [???]
    I'm not sure what Albia has been up to, but one of them seems like another Lucrezia-lookalike.

Also, just realized the Albia/Albion pun. Wonderful!

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #353

I love that their first reaction to hearing "Heterodyne" was asking about armed security. Not even Merrie Olde England is safe enough to avoid that panic.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

I love that their first reaction to hearing "Heterodyne" was asking about armed security. Not even Merrie Olde England is safe enough to avoid that panic.
    Well, a princess should have a good education....
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder if the cabal that screwed over London was meant to represent something? Girl Genius seems to take place in the (extremely far removed) 1800s or the early 1900s at the latest (Polka is relatively new, people are experimenting with leyden jars, and the general Steampunk aesthetic). "Pandorus Omnisiens" is a clear "cool name" that isn't really anything that you can work off of.
    Given that it's some sort of rebellion in England, I would have guessed at the Magna Carta, but that would be 1215->GG is in the 1500s. And the American Revolution wasn't in England at all, plus it would be only a century or two before the story. The Enlightenment feels a bit iffy timewise and wasn't strictly in England, and so on.

The only thing I could think of is some parallel with one of the religious schism (there was something in the 1500s if I'm not mistaken), but while I'm strictly not discussing real-world religion I don't want to lean too heavily on the forum rules.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2020-05-04 at 05:46 PM.

-Squire Doodad

26. - Top - End - #356

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I wonder if the cabal that screwed over London was meant to represent something? Girl Genius seems to take place in the (extremely far removed) 1800s or the early 1900s at the latest (Polka is relatively new, people are experimenting with leyden jars, and the general Steampunk aesthetic). "Pandorus Omnisiens" is a clear "cool name" that isn't really anything that you can work off of.
    Given that it's some sort of rebellion in England, I would have guessed at the Magna Carta, but that would be 1215->GG is in the 1500s. And the American Revolution wasn't in England at all, plus it would be only a century or two before the story. The Enlightenment feels a bit iffy timewise and wasn't strictly in England, and so on.

The only thing I could think of is some parallel with one of the religious schism (there was something in the 1500s if I'm not mistaken), but while I'm strictly not discussing real-world religion I don't want to lean too heavily on the forum rules.
    Set in the early 1900s minus 300 years puts it in the early 1600s. If I had to guess, I would blame it on Cromwell.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

27. - Top - End - #357

Too late. The timeframe is basically late 19th Century, given the other dates used (Rembrandt van Rijn, Storm King/Sun King, etc), which means 300 years ago would be essentially the reign of Elizabeth I. There was enough upheaval then we can't really specify a particular event, although if the 300 is rounding rather than precision my first guess would be the Spanish Armada.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Too late. The timeframe is basically late 19th Century, given the other dates used (Rembrandt van Rijn, Storm King/Sun King, etc), which means 300 years ago would be essentially the reign of Elizabeth I. There was enough upheaval then we can't really specify a particular event, although if the 300 is rounding rather than precision my first guess would be the Spanish Armada.
    van Rijn being Rembrandt certainly cleared some stuff up, I hadn't noticed that the first time around. The Elizabethan era certainly had it's share of...conflicts, in a general sense it could be anything. Maybe one of the conflicts vis a vis the legitimacy Elizabeth's rule being questioned? In any case, given that it would be something internal and the nature of Albia's rule, it may well specifically not be based on anything real.

-Squire Doodad

29. - Top - End - #359

Personally I see the setting as the time of Napoleon and the Bourbon Restoration, mostly because I find that Wulfenbach and his son resemble Beethoven. There also is a Frankenstein feel here and there.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

30. - Top - End - #360

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    There also is a Frankenstein feel here and there.
    with that many constructs around, that is unavoidable.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead