New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

I knew there were princesses, but these three seem fairly close in age. How often is Albia having kids? Over a period of several centuries, how many people in England are close relatives?

And, as her abilities seem to be genetic and as her DNA has had ample chance (it seems) to establish itself, why aren't there more immortal spark-queens?

Oh, and why does Albia seem to have only daughters? I mean, I thought at first they were only making jokes about princesses, but does she only have girls?
    Last edited by Ellen; 2020-05-05 at 11:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I don't think appearances of age can be relied upon when you're talking the children of an immortal god-queen--they could be centuries old. Although, who is the father(s), one wonders? No-one's ever mentioned a King, Prince or even Consort.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I knew there were princesses, but these three seem fairly close in age. How often is Albia having kids? Over a period of several centuries, how many people in England are close relatives?

And, as her abilities seem to be genetic and as her DNA has had ample chance (it seems) to establish itself, why aren't there more immortal spark-queens?

Oh, and why does Albia seem to have only daughters? I mean, I thought at first they were only making jokes about princesses, but does she only have girls?
    I would not be surprised if being able to pick the gender of your children is a Queen ability. It might also just be by chance, or that the princes are send out to other places. (marriage, maybe?)

Where was it stated that Albia's ability were genetic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Since she goes back to Prehistoric times, and assuming her children can have children, everyone in Europa should be descended from her.

What do you mean genetic? A second breakthrough is nesceesary to become a Monarch, expecting that to be passed down to children is like expecting a mouse whose tail you cut to bear tailless babies.

We've only met three of her children I assume there are more.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-05-06 at 04:16 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't think appearances of age can be relied upon when you're talking the children of an immortal god-queen--they could be centuries old. Although, who is the father(s), one wonders? No-one's ever mentioned a King, Prince or even Consort.
    Maybe she went the Divayth Fyr route, and made them in a jar.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I mean, how sure are we the princesses are Albia's daughters, biologically speaking?
    Might as well be she adopts girls that possess certain qualities or talents or are interesting for her for some reason.
    Didn't Albia plot to keep Agatha in England?
    The princesses might be similar.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

7. - Top - End - #367

A further hint that she might just have princesses is when tarvek and gil tried to use some sort of royal law loophole to get to england they were reminded it was written to apply to princesses, not princes.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #368

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    A further hint that she might just have princesses is when tarvek and gil tried to use some sort of royal law loophole to get to england they were reminded it was written to apply to princesses, not princes.
    Nah, it was just that the loophole for "Royal Pursuit and Rescue" had only been invoked for the purpose of rescuing "kidnapped royal princesses" (those three times in the past ten years which Tarvek mentions). The implication that Tarvek was also a damsel in distress just amused Gil.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I mean, how sure are we the princesses are Albia's daughters, biologically speaking?
    Might as well be she adopts girls that possess certain qualities or talents or are interesting for her for some reason.
    Was going to say this. Only the red head looks like she could be Albia's biological daughter. (Albia's natural hair color is red as seen here). Another point is there aren't many men Albia would get romantic with. She is very intimidating and that would cause... er.. performance problems. However it seems that Klaus didn't seem to have any real issues. Wonder if the red head is Klaus's kid. I very much doubt it.

My real question is why are these characters being introduced now?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I think that the Princesses may be "adopted" rather than birthed, as the Queen was more interested in Agatha than any of the finest Spark Princes in Europe.

The girls seem to believe they are destined to be married off.

Still, while news of the latest fashion is a trait of the young, the desire for anything new could be a trait of the very old.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually there is one little continuity nitpick i have with this page; Neena referring to Tarvek as the storm king

Tarvek being the heir to the storm king was a closely guarded secret, one that he only shared with agatha after which he wound up stuck in the castle and then frozen for 2 years. Point is, He never got to make his claim public; Only Martellus has made his claim public. Granted, one could assume that Tarvek has A claim based on his relationship, but it seems odd that Neena would already be calling Tarvek "the storm king" since she wouldn't even know where he sits in the heirarchy... So it feels like this is either a continuity hiccup with the foglios forgetting what characters do not know about, or Neena and her family have known about Tarvek and his family secret for a very long time

I am reminded that Master Payne's wife said she was a very distant relative of Albia. And y'know unlike the master of Paris who was trying to sire an heir who could take his place thus having many children ranging wildly in age, Albia doesn't seem all that worried about making sure she has someone to replace her. As such she may just have kids when she wants to and may only have them once a generation or so

On their physical appearance, Ya it does kind of bug me that they look nothing like eachother and two of them don't look anything like their mother. Though it does make me think... Albia is able to change her appearance, including hair, skin and eye color; If those changes are on a genetic level, then the kids she has may inherit the altered appearance of when they were conceived rather than the her natural appearance. Either that, or Albia may have messed with their genetics just because she wanted her daughters to look different; if Albia can alter herself its possible she can alter others
    Last edited by slayerx; 2020-05-06 at 09:36 AM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Tarvek was publicly announced as the Storm King way back near the end of Der Kastel arc. Gil used the opportunity to say that Tarvek was his vassal.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    She is very intimidating and that would cause... er.. performance problems.
    Lots of people like powerful women.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #374

Klaus apparently got wildly romantic with her, the news of which caused Gil to blow a gasket.

15. - Top - End - #375

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Actually there is one little continuity nitpick i have with this page; Neena referring to Tarvek as the storm king

Tarvek being the heir to the storm king was a closely guarded secret, one that he only shared with agatha after which he wound up stuck in the castle and then frozen for 2 years. Point is, He never got to make his claim public; Only Martellus has made his claim public. Granted, one could assume that Tarvek has A claim based on his relationship, but it seems odd that Neena would already be calling Tarvek "the storm king" since she wouldn't even know where he sits in the heirarchy... So it feels like this is either a continuity hiccup with the foglios forgetting what characters do not know about, or Neena and her family have known about Tarvek and his family secret for a very long time
    As you note, we and Agatha skip over two and a half years. Word of Tarvek's claim could have spread widely during that time, at least among powerful people who possess spy networks, especially since Gil was making such a huge effort to extract him from Mechanicsburg. The fact that the Immortal Library was waiting to snatch Tarvek away indicates this happened.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I'm just impressed that Tarvek has an admirer. But, as always, Fashion trumps all.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

17. - Top - End - #377

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    I would not be surprised if being able to pick the gender of your children is a Queen ability. It might also just be by chance, or that the princes are send out to other places. (marriage, maybe?)

Where was it stated that Albia's ability were genetic?
    Good point. It wasn't stated. I assumed based on Agatha's experience after drinking water of the Dyne (which, from what Albia said, seemed like a precursor to being a queen). Heterodyne's ability to drink and survive Dyne water seems to run in the family (though there could be other factors, like changes already made in a parent who's survived Dyne water).

My assumptions, though, are that queens start out as Sparks (which seems to be genetically based, going by the families of Sparks) and that some of them have the ability to go through and survive a second breakthrough.

This ability also seems to be limited to females, though that's not certain. There could be other reasons why there was a group of immortal queens but no kings. There may have been a factor triggering the breakthroughs that males were less likely to be exposed to or experience for environmental, social, or other reasons not linked to biology. Even if it is biological, a trait can be rarer in one gender but still manifest in both.

18. - Top - End - #378

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    I'm just impressed that Tarvek has an admirer. But, as always, Fashion trumps all.
    We are about to see an impressive and outrageous display of food-in-the-hair arrangements at the party, that'll make fruit hats and confection hats look sensible by comparison, aren't we?

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

This ability also seems to be limited to females, though that's not certain. There could be other reasons why there was a group of immortal queens but no kings. There may have been a factor triggering the breakthroughs that males were less likely to be exposed to or experience for environmental, social, or other reasons not linked to biology. Even if it is biological, a trait can be rarer in one gender but still manifest in both.
    Snackelford turned into a King, remember? Given that Albia became a Queen with help from other Queens makes me believe that the Queens simply refused to bring any male in their little club.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Snackelford turned into a King, remember? Given that Albia became a Queen with help from other Queens makes me believe that the Queens simply refused to bring any male in their little club.
    If he did and it was not some other effect, Snackelford demonstrates why there aren't (m)any known male examples - there would be a huge fight and one or both would end up dead. The Queens seem to be a tad more co-operative and social.

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
    We are about to see an impressive and outrageous display of food-in-the-hair arrangements at the party, that'll make fruit hats and confection hats look sensible by comparison, aren't we?
    Oh. This could be fun...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

21. - Top - End - #381

As long as we're watching from at least the next county over.

22. - Top - End - #382

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    As long as we're watching from at least the next county over.
    Do you mean the next universe?
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

23. - Top - End - #383

We've seen Sparks can get to those easier than they can walk to the next county.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Do you mean the next universe?
    If it was the Schlockvers you MIGHT be safe.

Oh, great, I just gave myself the image of Kevyn as a spark.....

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post

"Grandmother said no pretenders."

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...3#.XrRixZl7nIU

"if either of you (martellis or tarvek) came back, you're a better choice than any of the others, and if you didnt, there's no hetrodyne girl for you to marry anyway."

26. - Top - End - #386

Beholder

We've seen Sparks can get to those easier than they can walk to the next county.
    A fair and intersting point.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    If he did and it was not some other effect, Snackelford demonstrates why there aren't (m)any known male examples - there would be a huge fight and one or both would end up dead. The Queens seem to be a tad more co-operative and social.
    I’m sorry, what?
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #388

Snacky and Dr Dim went at it pretty much immediately in the usual Spark domination dance. Granted we haven't seen many powerful female Sparks, but the meetings we have seen really didn't shake out that way.

29. - Top - End - #389

Snacky and Dr Dim went at it pretty much immediately in the usual Spark domination dance. Granted we haven't seen many powerful female Sparks, but the meetings we have seen really didn't shake out that way.
    Its like the initial breakthrough, you tend to develop a super weapon then get hammered by the populace because you tried to conquer everything with a single gun/clank/whatever. That rush of power is pretty heady, it even effected agatha when she had the second breakthrough, it was the thought of losing gil and tarvek that centered her and got her to shed that power between the three of them rather than exploding as is the usual end result of the second breakthrough. Had Dim not been there its entirely likely a similar thing would have happened, snack would have blown his power killing insects and not exploded then moved on from there once rationality reasserted itself.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

While Snackelford did do his megalomania routine he actually held back from attacking Agatha solely because she was Albia's guest and didn't want to make a poor impression on Albia. He wanted to demonstrate his power, but it's clear that he had no intention of rebelling. So that kind of kills the males always fight idea. (Vapnoople attacked Snackelford just on general purposes because you know he's bat spit nuts.)