New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

The other thing to remember is the backstory. The story starts after Klaus has imposed peace in Europa, and before that the area was composed of warring sparks.

Before that, we had the Heterodyne Boys - the white sheep of a very black family - travelling around Europa trying to bring down tyrannical sparks.

We see a largely peaceful environment because Klaus has enforced the Pax Europa, Paris is controlled by The Master of Paris and Britannia is controlled by Albia. When Klaus goes down, Europa shatters back into warring sparks.

Now, admittedly we only see the Queens through Albia's eyes, but the Queens do appear to have been largely civil and co-operative. We should also note that they were also isolated, relying on the mirrors for communication.

Incidentally, reknowned mad social scientist Dr Mittlemind has this to say on the subject. Remember, given the huge imbalance between the genders and the spark, he is largely talking about male sparks.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

The Summoning Engine is a recent phenomenon though. The girls would only have started disappearing in the last 20 years or so. While it would have a big effect it doesn't explain the lack of older female sparks.
    Sure it does. I dont think age was any limit when they were hunting for sparks to stuff into that machine.
    And i dont think the lack of older female sparks are that explicit.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Reason may be more a result of upbringing than anything else. Colette is continuing her father's reasonable tradition, Gil is continuing his father's reasonable tradition, Lucy and her sisters continued their father's tradition of being a generally bad egg who wants to take over the world.

Also, ruling sparks are more likely to be reasonable people, simply because empires ruled by bellicose people don't last as long. Even Martellus was willing to work with others when necessary, such as in the battles of St Szpack and Paris. With the general shortage of non-ruling female sparks, those we do meet are generally going to be reasonable due to rulership natural selection.
    Last edited by SZbNAhL; 2020-05-09 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Typos

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Also, ruling sparks are more likely to be reasonable people, simply because empires ruled by bellicose people don't last as long. Even Martellus was willing to work with others when necessary, such as in the battles of St Szpack and Paris. With the general shortage of nonruling female sparks, those we do meetare generally going to be reasonable due to rulership natural selection.
    This is a fair point - with the noted exception of the old Heterodynes, for whom bellicose is putting it mildly. Also in favour of this point, according to the novels Bill and Barry were brought up by their mother outside the castle, which is partly why they were the exception to the heterodyne pattern.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    This is a fair point - with the noted exception of the old Heterodynes, for whom bellicose is putting it mildly. Also in favour of this point, according to the novels Bill and Barry were brought up by their mother outside the castle, which is partly why they were the exception to the heterodyne pattern.
    The Heterodynes got away with it for two reasons. The first is the strength of their Sparkiness, which is rivaled only by the Queens and a handful of others like the Master of Paris and Baron Wulfenbach. The second is Mechanicsburg, which is noted to be a natural fortress that would be capable of fending off any normal army. With additional defenses built by generations of Heterodynes it was nigh invulnerable.

The impression I get of the old Heterodynes is that they would periodically rampage across Europe. Eventually Europe would unite against them sufficiently to drive them back to Mechanicsburg where they would lick their wounds for a while before the whole process started over again. Either that or the Heterodyne would get bored and go home. Either way the Heterodyne always had a lair to return to.

Lesser Sparks try the same thing but are not strong enough to maintain it. They get wiped out by an angry mob, a rival Spark, or just the local nobility raising an army to crush them.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The impression I get of the old Heterodynes is that they would periodically rampage across Europe. Eventually Europe would unite against them sufficiently to drive them back to Mechanicsburg where they would lick their wounds for a while before the whole process started over again. Either that or the Heterodyne would get bored and go home. Either way the Heterodyne always had a lair to return to.
    Pretty much - the whole process is described in the novels (the second one, I believe), although there was only one big fight with Europa, and that was only when the Storm King finally managed to convince the rest of Europa that the Heterodynes were a threat to the entire continent, not just their immediate surroundings. The big fight took place at the fortress of Sturmhalten. There the Heterodynes were defeated, and the Storm King was manipulated into marrying the then Heterodyne's daughter (whose name I am not even going to try spelling from memory) as part of the surrrender.

EDIT: Current strip. Oh dear, this is going to get very silly, isn't it? I wonder if there is going to be any rock for curlers?
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2020-05-11 at 05:09 AM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

Fashion is very serious business.

I look forward to the hilarity.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Firbolg in the Playground

I hope that this "I owe you" isn't too big a deal. I can't say I'm enthusiast at the idea of Xerxephina (or anyone else) becoming part of Agatha's Circus of Servants.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #429

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I hope that this "I owe you" isn't too big a deal. I can't say I'm enthusiast at the idea of Xerxephina (or anyone else) becoming part of Agatha's Circus of Servants.
    sounds more like a big deal for the story rather than the readers. Like a „get out of jail free“ card.
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; 2020-05-11 at 05:59 AM.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

10. - Top - End - #430

Beholder

To me it sounds like a "I owe you, so I will help you in the future once" kinda deal, which can be important for a future event. Seffie does have a lot of political influence due to her position and family. Probably either by helping when Agatha runs into (more) trouble with Seffie's family or providing intel in the search for the lantern. (I think that was a plot point, once.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

And it does appear in the current strip (panel 1) that Zeetha's canines are becoming more pronounced. Looks as though Mama's potion may have some side effects after all.

12. - Top - End - #432

Quote Originally Posted by cptnspldng View Post
    And it does appear in the current strip (panel 1) that Zeetha's canines are becoming more pronounced. Looks as though Mama's potion may have some side effects after all.
    Maybe she's turning into Lum Invader
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by cptnspldng View Post
    Naw, her canines have been that big before.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

14. - Top - End - #434

And it's not like she's the only one to have her face reshaped for impact. Klaus can scowl hard enough to elongate his jawline by a good two inches.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Maybe she's turning into Lum Invader
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, Urusei Yatsura. My second manga and first anime. (At least, knowingly - Apparantly Marine Boy was an anime...)

16. - Top - End - #436
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah chances are this is the sort of thing that goes like, martellus turns on her again and tries to enslave her, again, and xerxe sets her free to make them even. Or she warns them of the incoming doublecross so they can turn it around. Probably that option as the other is a little too open and upfront for someone like her. "Btw, martellus plans to do sparky thing at x time, might want to watch for that."
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah chances are this is the sort of thing that goes like, martellus turns on her again and tries to enslave her, again, and xerxe sets her free to make them even. Or she warns them of the incoming doublecross so they can turn it around. Probably that option as the other is a little too open and upfront for someone like her. "Btw, martellus plans to do sparky thing at x time, might want to watch for that."
    Martellus probably won't actually try anything after Paris, and even if he did Seffie would let Agatha go either way. She does see Agatha as her friend.

This feels like it's plot relevant, but I don't think it means "+1 companion". Agatha has enough at the moment already.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    To me it sounds like a "I owe you, so I will help you in the future once" kinda deal, which can be important for a future event. Seffie does have a lot of political influence due to her position and family. Probably either by helping when Agatha runs into (more) trouble with Seffie's family or providing intel in the search for the lantern. (I think that was a plot point, once.)
    I hope Seffie keeps her word; but it is very possible she'll take the Tweedle approach of "Hmmm. You know if I double-cross you & everyone dies, no one will be able to say I didn't keep my pledge. Now how do I successfully do that and not kill that hunk Gil?"

@v: Your way may be funnier.
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2020-05-12 at 03:46 PM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

19. - Top - End - #439

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    I hope Seffie keeps her word; but it is very possible she'll take the Tweedle approach of "Hmmm. You know if I double-cross you & everyone dies, no one will be able to say I didn't keep my pledge. Now how do I successfully do that and not kill that hunk Gil?"
    I choose to read that as "that hunk Gil" being part of the Tweedle approach.

20. - Top - End - #440

Well, he does need to marry off his sister to someone. It goes against the Code of Royalty to leave a princess to her own devices or in control of her life.

21. - Top - End - #441

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Well, he does need to marry off his sister to someone. It goes against the Code of Royalty to leave a princess to her own devices or in control of her life.
    Yes ... his sister ... that's what I meant.

22. - Top - End - #442

PirateCaptain

Gosh, Madwa's still alive. I'm in raptures of shock. Raptures, I tell you.

At least now we know who Steelgarter and Moonbeam really work for, I guess.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, I had forgotten Violetta was "supposed" to be dead. Did we ever get a clear explanation of what happened?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

24. - Top - End - #444

I mean, I'm not that surprised, but wasn't Madwa really-dead-yes-really-we-saw-the-body-it's-really-her dead? On the submarine?

Violetta might be good, but I guess she's still wrong?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Island? With horrible rats? Are we going to...Sumatra?
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

26. - Top - End - #446

Either that, or to the Île de la Cité

27. - Top - End - #447

PirateCaptain

Steelgarter might be, but Agatha's itinerary's been set for a while, and Indoneisa isn't on it.

28. - Top - End - #448

So, are the rats vermin, or are the rats residents?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    So, are the rats vermin, or are the rats residents?
    Yes.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

30. - Top - End - #450

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    I mean, I'm not that surprised, but wasn't Madwa really-dead-yes-really-we-saw-the-body-it's-really-her dead? On the submarine?

Violetta might be good, but I guess she's still wrong?
    No, we only saw her checking out Dr. Zardeliv's body. There was mention of an additional female corpse, but we never saw it and we don't know if any of Our Heroes ever looked at it. So yeah, Madwa was pretty much still alive.

And according to The Works card game at least..

Spoiler
    Show
    Dr. Monahan specializes in creating giant rats.