New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

Aww. Tweedle found someone he can talk with on his level.
    No wait, that's a insult to Krosp.
    On a second thought it's a insult to regular cats too.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #902
    Bugbear in the Playground

OK, maybe I'm just paranoid, but

Panel 2: wasp hunter pops out of a box adorably.

Panel 3: Martellus laughs

Panel 4: There's someone who looks quite a bit like Sparafucile dancing with someone else wearing a cloak the same color as the smoke knights right next to what looks similar to the weasel box.

Panel 5: Krosp accuses Martellus of being up to something, and Martellus explodes.

Am I reading too much into it, or was the wasp hunter potentially just weaselnapped by Martellus's minions?

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    Panel 4: There's someone who looks quite a bit like Sparafucile dancing with someone else wearing a cloak the same color as the smoke knights right next to what looks similar to the weasel box.
    I don't think anyone in the background of panel 4 looks like Sparafucile. And even if they did, neither of the dancers is within arms' reach of Agatha's dress.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

4. - Top - End - #904

More to the point, we know Agatha has provided security for the fuzzerpiller. Might be interesting to see what mayhem they dish out, but this isn't the scene for it.

Also, very good analysis by Krosp there. Not quite as reductive as "You're breathing", but still good.

5. - Top - End - #905

PirateCaptain

If Gil's got the superior Storm King claim, it would have to come through his father, since the Skiffandrians were isolated for so long, but that clashes heavily with the Wulfenbachs being repeatedly referred to as an incredibly minor noble house.

6. - Top - End - #906

His father being a construct made out of the bodies of his uncles probably also throws a colossal spanner in the works.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly, I think it's Agatha that has the other claim. It makes for a more interesting conflict than if it was Gill, and also explains why the whole storm king conspiracy believed it to be so important to get a (fake) heterodyne heir to marry their storm king heir, as by marrying the two claimant lines together the whole issue is basically resolved, as the children of the marriage will have the strongest claim by far.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

8. - Top - End - #908
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Interesting. Possible but I'm not sure it's plausible. Andronicus refers to Euphrosynia as his 'bride' not his wife. If they were married and had a child, it's pretty clear that child's line would have had precedence over Tarvek's claim. It's possible that they could have had an illegitimate child prior to a never completed marriage, but I doubt it would be in the inheritance line. Even if it she was, she'd have the problem of women not being able to inherit. Also, when Agatha wants to send Von Pinn to protect Gil, Von Pinn objects until Tarvek releases her. If Agatha was the heir she could have just released Von Pinn on her own authority.

I think the reason they wanted to Storm King and Fake Hetrodyne to marry had more to do with Storm King Opera and it's 'prophecy' more than actual bloodlines. The myth more than the reality.
    Last edited by Thomas Cardew; 2020-07-16 at 05:52 AM.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Colossus in the Playground

Im pretty sure the storm king got around before his arranged marriage to the heterodyne. I seem to remember one of the jaegers talking to him about the priestess of nyx or some such thing and him acting all flustered about it. Its entirely possible we have a 20 generations later version of the aftermath of robert baratheon seeding bastards all over the seven kingdoms only without (as far as we know) a marathon purge session killing them all. There could be a dozen different lines of illegitimate offspring floating around and martellus could be descended from the 3rd or 4th line and not even know it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im pretty sure the storm king got around before his arranged marriage to the heterodyne. I seem to remember one of the jaegers talking to him about the priestess of nyx or some such thing and him acting all flustered about it. Its entirely possible we have a 20 generations later version of the aftermath of robert baratheon seeding bastards all over the seven kingdoms only without (as far as we know) a marathon purge session killing them all. There could be a dozen different lines of illegitimate offspring floating around and martellus could be descended from the 3rd or 4th line and not even know it.
    Better example would be Ghengis Khan. He had a ton of concubines with which he fathered children all across Asia. He only had a handful of "wives" so his direct line of inheritance was much more limited.

Everyone can claim to be related to the Storm King in the same way. Tarvek and Martellus both appear to be from the direct line, and that's why the noble families would accept them. Tarvek is just closer in line than Martellus is. Martellus only showed up to Mechanicsburg because his family claimed Tarvek was dead.

When it comes to claim I don't think it's even a contest - Tarvek unambiguously has it. His family is trying to force Martellus through because Tarvek is too closely aligned with Agatha.

This still leaves the mysterious other claimant, but the way the Muses have reacted to Tarvek make me think that their claim isn't as strong. Still better than Martellus though.

11. - Top - End - #911

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Better example would be Ghengis Khan. He had a ton of concubines with which he fathered children all across Asia. He only had a handful of "wives" so his direct line of inheritance was much more limited.

Everyone can claim to be related to the Storm King in the same way. Tarvek and Martellus both appear to be from the direct line, and that's why the noble families would accept them. Tarvek is just closer in line than Martellus is. Martellus only showed up to Mechanicsburg because his family claimed Tarvek was dead.

When it comes to claim I don't think it's even a contest - Tarvek unambiguously has it. His family is trying to force Martellus through because Tarvek is too closely aligned with Agatha.

This still leaves the mysterious other claimant, but the way the Muses have reacted to Tarvek make me think that their claim isn't as strong. Still better than Martellus though.
    Direct line just means that the storm king is their relation not, say, his brother. We dont know if he ever married and had kids. I was just pointing out that if he didnt, then it comes down to the family lines of whatever illegitimate kids he may have had with random women. For all we know, martellus is descended from the cake hooker that was at the storm kings 21st birthday, but he isnt aware that the storm king knocked up his dance tutor when he was 16 who is, I dunno, gils ancestor. Its also entirely possible that tarvek and tweedle, while both being in the expanded stromvorius family tree, are connected through different paths to the storm king entirely. Intermarriage between royal lines is a thing after all.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #912

Given they have a grandmother in common, Martellus' claim is subordinate to Tarvek's, since Tarvek is from the senior line and Martellus the cadet branch.

13. - Top - End - #913

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Given they have a grandmother in common, Martellus' claim is subordinate to Tarvek's, since Tarvek is from the senior line and Martellus the cadet branch.
    As one example, granny had for simplicity's sake, two kids. Tarvek is descended from one, tweedle from the other. Each of her kids ended up marrying someone in the line of succession of two different lines. Thus their royal lineage is not from grandma, but from who her kids married. Then it doesnt matter who is eldest, it matters whose line is senior. Again, the genealogy is a mess and it hasnt been stated explicitly HOW tweedle and tarvek are able to claim the throne. Maybe it IS from granny, maybe its from who her kids married. For all we know we are ending up with King Ralph. (I loved that movie) Some mystery dude with no knowledge of his family tree turns out to be the heir to the throne. But until we get more details, all this is rampant speculation based off theories backed by little proof.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    As one example, granny had for simplicity's sake, two kids. Tarvek is descended from one, tweedle from the other. Each of her kids ended up marrying someone in the line of succession of two different lines. Thus their royal lineage is not from grandma, but from who her kids married. Then it doesnt matter who is eldest, it matters whose line is senior. Again, the genealogy is a mess and it hasnt been stated explicitly HOW tweedle and tarvek are able to claim the throne. Maybe it IS from granny, maybe its from who her kids married. For all we know we are ending up with King Ralph. (I loved that movie) Some mystery dude with no knowledge of his family tree turns out to be the heir to the throne. But until we get more details, all this is rampant speculation based off theories backed by little proof.
    Tarvek's lineage is explicitly through his Mother's side, but we don't know if her line is just mixed up with the mess of families that makes up the Storm King Conspiracy. We also don't know whether "Grandma" is from the Sturmvarious family (Seems unlikely, if they're the ancestral rulers of Sturmhalten while she lives in Paris, with what we know of her, it seems unlikely that Aaronev could work so closely with the Other if Grandmother worked out of Sturmhalten), or even if she's his literal Grandmother, as opposed to just being the matriarch of this whole tangled geneological web of the Storm King.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

The way Orotine phrase it does make it sound like you need more than merely being related to the storm king, to be his heir.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    The way Orotine phrase it does make it sound like you need more than merely being related to the storm king, to be his heir.
    Probably.
    I mean otherwise most of Europa would be in line for the throne.
    That could get messy.

17. - Top - End - #917

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Honestly, I think it's Agatha that has the other claim. It makes for a more interesting conflict than if it was Gill, and also explains why the whole storm king conspiracy believed it to be so important to get a (fake) heterodyne heir to marry their storm king heir, as by marrying the two claimant lines together the whole issue is basically resolved, as the children of the marriage will have the strongest claim by far.
    It's possible. The Mongfishes did have a hand in creating a viable heir to the Storm King's throne. Perhaps part of the Mongfish's plan involved mixing in their lineage. And Agatha just happens to be a decedent of the Mongfishes (probably much to her chagrin).

But I don't think so. I suspect it's probably some yet unknown actor. Though I do think it would be amusing if it was... Violetta.

That would throw both Tarvek & Tweedle for a loop!

18. - Top - End - #918

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    It's possible. The Mongfishes did have a hand in creating a viable heir to the Storm King's throne. Perhaps part of the Mongfish's plan involved mixing in their lineage. And Agatha just happens to be a decedent of the Mongfishes (probably much to her chagrin).

But I don't think so. I suspect it's probably some yet unknown actor. Though I do think it would be amusing if it was... Violetta.

That would throw both Tarvek & Tweedle for a loop!
    What if it were.... Moloch von Zinzer? (what, nowhere was it stated that the Storm King had to be a spark)
    Last edited by PraetorDragoon; 2020-07-16 at 03:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    What if it were.... Moloch von Zinzer? (what, nowhere was it stated that the Storm King had to be a spark)
    The original certainly wasn't, so...
    Sounds plausible.
    The not a Spark part, not the von Zinzer part.
    Dude's too much of a minion to be a Stormking descendant.

20. - Top - End - #920

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    The original certainly wasn't, so...
    Sounds plausible.
    The not a Spark part, not the von Zinzer part.
    Dude's too much of a minion to be a Stormking descendant.
    He isnt a minion! He is a CHIEF minion! Other minions obey him without question! He is the heterodyne of minions, which, if we put it in military terms, makes him a sergeant major to her general. (depending on branch, ncos versus enlisted ranks)

21. - Top - End - #921

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Tarvek's lineage is explicitly through his Mother's side
    For Tarvek to have preference, Martellus would also have to have a claim based on the female line.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

cool Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20081103 - if Gil is the Storm King, first panel of the last row would be straightforward foreshadowing.

I'm not convinced though - as pointed out above, the Muses don't seem to have respected him in the same way as Tarvek to date.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FLHerne View Post
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20081103 - if Gil is the Storm King, first panel of the last row would be straightforward foreshadowing.

I'm not convinced though - as pointed out above, the Muses don't seem to have respected him in the same way as Tarvek to date.
    Mhmmmm... there might be more foreshadowing in that page.

Moloch definitely has developed a bit, from not being able to stop his brother to barking orders left and right. So he might not be a bad Storm King, assuming he has trusted and skilled people laying the groundwork and he just runs around making sure that people DO the things.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #924
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Moloch definitely has developed a bit, from not being able to stop his brother to barking orders left and right. So he might not be a bad Storm King, assuming he has trusted and skilled people laying the groundwork and he just runs around making sure that people DO the things.
    Nah, a king is a figurehead. A big shiny target for all the happy people to give him credit for their happiness and all the angry people to blame him. That takes the heat off the people who actually run around doing things.

In the Folio-verse, a king should also be a very definitive powerhouse, as asskicking definitely results in authority. Even Tarvek, the fop who doodles girls, is a physical god on par with Wulfenbach/Jager/Skifandrian hybrid that is Gil.

So, as far as Moloch is frequently underestimated, yet surprisingly competent, I would put him in vizier/minion territory.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

25. - Top - End - #925
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    If this were true, Moloch's (and for that matter, Tarvek's, Tweedle's and Gil's) reaction on hearing this would be hilarious XD

It'd also mean I'd have to put some money on Molloch in the big 'who will Agatha pick' pool.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Krosp speaks wise words*.
    The question is how Tweedle takes them.
    Because he looks like he will do something stupid.

Also, did Krosp just imply the messed up King's Touch was on purpose? Because I can't see Martellus being that dumb.

*Even if I disagree with a minor point.
    Tweedle isn't as stupid as the other two.
    He's stupider. At least Gil and Tarvek got a chance with Agatha.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Firbolg in the Playground

Please, Martellus, don't turn into Agatha's Helpful Helper #45267.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

Krosp speaks wise words*.
    The question is how Tweedle takes them.

Also, did Krosp just imply the messed up King's Touch was on purpose? Because I can't see Martellus being that dumb.
    No, he didn’t. Agatha sabotaged it. But Kris’s is right that Martellus was engineering a situation where they’d be stuck with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Please, Martellus, don't turn into Agatha's Helpful Helper #45267.
    Oh, he’s been on the tracks for this one for a long time.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    No, he didn’t. Agatha sabotaged it. But Kris’s is right that Martellus was engineering a situation where they’d be stuck with each other.
    Tweedle did screw it up. He didn't intend to be dependent on Agatha, just that she be dependent on him. Agatha messed up Tweedle's plan by changing her dependence to the Wasp Eater.

Tweedle here makes a good contrast with how the "other two" think of and treat Agatha. Gil can act like an idiot around here, but is truly in love with her for her mind. His real problem is that he tends to be a little overprotective at times but he seems to be getting better. Tarvek is also in love, but I think it's a little different from Gil. I suspect Tarvek sees winning Agatha as a goal, something to work towards. Tweedle? He thinks he can bring Agatha to heel. She's an object to him, something to be used. No way Agatha will allow that.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

30. - Top - End - #930
    Troll in the Playground

The cat speaks TRUTH. And hopefully is not lactose intolerant or he'll be blowing that cheese dip out both ends.

<space saving snip>

Of course he will. He's Tweedle.

There are some hints he's already done something, although exactly what is unclear.