New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1462
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

Orotine specifically refers to multiple "Lines",

We can assume one of them is the line that leads to Tarvek, through his Mother. Presumably, Martellus is somewhere in there too, but that whole family is a giant tangle, and Tarvek appears to have the better claim by that logic (Of course, to quote terry pratchett, the true king is the one who gets crowned).

The only romantic partner we've heard about Andronicus Valois having would be Euphrosynia Heterodyne, so it's possible that the other heir is Agatha, if Andronicus and Euphrosynia had a child who was raised by the Heterodynes (According to the wiki, Euphrosynia's brother was Bludtharst Heterodyne, who is listed as one of Agatha's Ancestors, but it's possible that Bludtharst's "Child" (Agatha's Ancestor) was actually the child of Euphrsynia and Andronicus, thus making Agatha the "True Heir", since Andronicus and Euphrosynia were married, assuming that "Being the Heterodyne" doesn't disqualify you from the line of succession.

If our other option is Gil, we have the enigmatic line from Boris Here where Gil is given the title "Your Highness".

I always kind of assumed that, according to the "Gil is Zeetha's Brother" theory (Klaus gets banished to Skifander by Lucrezia, introduces himself as "Chump", becomes some sort of consort to the queen, has at least two kids, then Escapes before the Skifandari can kill Gil for being a man in the line of succession). But if Gil is also a descendant of the Storm King, it could be a reference to that.

heck, it could be Both. If Andy managed to find his way to Skifander at some point and father a Princess or two, thus making the royal line of Skifandir ALSO a line of succession for the Storm King.

Heck, we could even see a x3 Bloodline Combo. Euphrosynia vanishes when the Shining Coalition fell apart. She could have ended up in Skifander with her and Andy's child, and gotten the child adopted into the royal line of Skifander.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #992
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    The only romantic partner we've heard about Andronicus Valois having would be Euphrosynia Heterodyne, so it's possible that the other heir is Agatha, if Andronicus and Euphrosynia had a child who was raised by the Heterodynes (According to the wiki, Euphrosynia's brother was Bludtharst Heterodyne, who is listed as one of Agatha's Ancestors, but it's possible that Bludtharst's "Child" (Agatha's Ancestor) was actually the child of Euphrsynia and Andronicus, thus making Agatha the "True Heir", since Andronicus and Euphrosynia were married, assuming that "Being the Heterodyne" doesn't disqualify you from the line of succession.
    Jenka taunted Andronicus about his womanizing/presumed infidelity to Euphrosynia during the battle with His Zombieness in Paris; that opens the possibility of quite a few unacknowledged Storm King's kids running around at the time. Their own descendants would then have a claim by blood right, which could compete with a less direct relationship that has more legal backing by way of being an officially recognized Valois descendant, and there could easily be wrangling over which of those claims is more valid.. especially when there's no statement of intent from Andronicus himself over who should be his heir.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I always kind of assumed that, according to the "Gil is Zeetha's Brother" theory (Klaus gets banished to Skifander by Lucrezia, introduces himself as "Chump", becomes some sort of consort to the queen, has at least two kids, then Escapes before the Skifandari can kill Gil for being a man in the line of succession). But if Gil is also a descendant of the Storm King, it could be a reference to that.
    If I recall correctly, Klaus fled with Gil because he was a twin, and the Skifandrans are superstitious about twins. From a reddit Q&A thread:

Kaja: It's a matriarchy.
    Phil: They don't like twins.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

4. - Top - End - #994

Da Boiz also spent time insulting Andronicus over his womanizing, and way back when Gil met Zola in Der Kessel he pointed out to her that by the stories half of Europa could claim descent from the Storm King. Womanizing is probably too soft a term.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I think it's partially the womanizing and partially everyone European's related to Charlemagne

EDIT: Looking at dates, maybe not... The castle arc was in 2012 and that particular article was 2015. I forget how glacial this comic can be.
    Last edited by Thomas Cardew; 2020-07-29 at 07:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    I think it's partially the womanizing and partially everyone European's related to Charlemagne

EDIT: Looking at dates, maybe not... The castle arc was in 2012 and that particular article was 2015. I forget how glacial this comic can be.
    The time between Charlemagne and today is much greater than the time between the Storm King and the events of the comic, though.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

7. - Top - End - #997

DwarfClericGuy

They only had to go back 500 years for a common ancestor for most Europeans. My understanding was it's been at least a few hundred years since the Storm King.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ogre in the Playground

They only had to go back 500 years for a common ancestor for most Europeans. My understanding was it's been at least a few hundred years since the Storm King.
    It's been about 200, give or take a few decades.

It would appear the Storm King is Louis XIV, the Sun King, while van Rjin was, of course, Rembrandt himself. Girl Genius ostensibly takes place in the mid to late 1800s, given the general aesthetic and the fact that there is both the Eiffel Tower (1880s) and Polka dance music being "recent", to some extent (mid 1800s).

The point that large swaths of Europe are probably related to the Storm King is an important point though.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2020-07-29 at 09:14 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

9. - Top - End - #999

DwarfClericGuy

Ah my mistake, I thought the Storm King was literally Charlemagne putting it at about 800, so ~1000 years.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah my mistake, I thought the Storm King was literally Charlemagne putting it at about 800, so ~1000 years.
    Yeah, if he was Charlemagne then all of Europa would have a claim.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

11. - Top - End - #1001

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Yeah, if he was Charlemagne then all of Europa would have a claim.
    Not really... Lines of descent matter. But again, I was thinking he was a much more direct Charlemagne and Holy Roman Empire analogue given that when the cast was discussing the last time Europe was united 'you'd have to go back to the Storm King'.

I doubt the point that 'large swaths of Europe' are related to the Storm King will matter. I'd be surprised if will grows beyond Tarvek, Martellus, and the 3rd claimant (presumably Gil). More than that dilutes the both the story and the relevance.

Edit: Assuming Gil really is the Storm Kings heir, that would give this line from Klaus about history repeating more meaning. Since it's possible he's not referring to his and Lucrezia history but the storm king and hetrodyne history. It's also before he knows about the Agatha- Other connection.
    Last edited by Thomas Cardew; 2020-07-29 at 11:42 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Not really... Lines of descent matter. But again, I was thinking he was a much more direct Charlemagne and Holy Roman Empire analogue given that when the cast was discussing the last time Europe was united 'you'd have to go back to the Storm King'.

I doubt the point that 'large swaths of Europe' are related to the Storm King will matter. I'd be surprised if will grows beyond Tarvek, Martellus, and the 3rd claimant (presumably Gil). More than that dilutes the both the story and the relevance.
    It seems that The Storm King didn't necessarily, RULE all of Europa, so much as his shining coalition STABILIZED Europa.

Here is the page in question, they talk about how before the Wulfenbach Empire there was The Long War, and then The Storm King.

I think the history goes something like this. The Storm King and his Shining Coalition bring order to Europa, culminating when they defeat the Heterodyne Horde (The Heterodynes didn't RULE Europa, but they certainly enjoyed having it in Chaos).

After he falls, and the Shining Coalition dissolves, you have The Long War, with noble houses and sparks constantly fighting each other, with renegage monsters and sparky bandits and the like tearing things up, and, of course, the Heterodynes, the biggest monsters of them all, having a WONDERFUL time.

This goes on until the Heterodyne Boys show up and bring about some measure of Peace by being Heroes, basically going in and personally solving whatever local problem people are having (Plus, you know, taking the Heterodyne army out of the equation). This is mildly effective, they take care of the big monsters and evil sparks, and in doing so encourage the noble houses to stop throwing armies around quite as much.

Then they go missing, and everything starts up again, up until Klaus returns, raises an army, and is Scarier than anybody else, putting down the big threats, and forcing everybody else to get in line.

But nobody LIKES Klaus, he's a big mean bully who solves his problems with airship bombardments and hordes of monsters.

The implication is that, by claiming the throne of the Storm King, the Conspiracy will control Europa, but I don't think that's because The Storm King ever directly ruled a contient-spanning empire. I think it's more that people would willingly JOIN a new Storm King, especially the noble familes and old royals, who all hate Klaus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

13. - Top - End - #1003

DwarfClericGuy

Yeah, I think your version is right. Well you seem to have skipped over the Other war before the Boys disappeared. But this fits together nicely especially with the Storm King intro to the novel I just read. The SK didn't rule Europe just a part of it and united the rest of western Europe against the Hetrodyne.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Gil is going to become the Storm King, wed Agatha and then abdicate so Tarvek can have the job.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Orc in the Playground

Is anyone concerned about the time travel aspect combined with Andronicus thinking Agatha is Euphrosynia?

I can't imagine some Jaegers (her honor guard?) from that era wouldn't have recognized her in the present day, so I'm not sure how it plays out. Sworn to secrecy, maybe?
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius Twist View Post
    Is anyone concerned about the time travel aspect combined with Andronicus thinking Agatha is Euphrosynia?

I can't imagine some Jaegers (her honor guard?) from that era wouldn't have recognized her in the present day, so I'm not sure how it plays out. Sworn to secrecy, maybe?
    I'd say dying Andronicus is just delusional and Agatha has the countenance of a Heterodyne. Since they don't have many girls, he made a tenuous connection.

The main flaw with this theory is that Agatha has her mother's hair, while all the Heterodynes tended to have brown or black...

-Squire Doodad

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius Twist View Post

Andronicus thought Agatha was Euphrosynia based on her voice. He was looking the other way at the time and didn't actually see her. We know that Agatha has Lucrezia's voice. Therefore, this raises the strong possibility that Euphrosynia was Lucrezia, or Lucrezia wearing Euphrosynia's flesh, since we know Lucrezia has traveled through time in many guises. And it would certainly make a great deal of sense for Lucrezia to try and manipulate/destroy the Shining Coalition. Andronicus also accuses Van Rjin of having spirited Euphrosynia away and Voltaire says the Shining Coalition believed she was scheming against them, all of which seems highly suggestive.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

18. - Top - End - #1008

BlueWizardGirl

Wouldn't it be crazy if Zeetha's family is related to the Storm King? If legally acknowledged heirs matter, the Storm King could have many descendants but none who have a clearly legal claim. But, a descendant of the Storm King's mother's family could be his legal heir, even if she was from Skifander (I know, just a tin foil hat theory).
    Last edited by Ellen; 2020-07-30 at 11:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Andronicus thought Agatha was Euphrosynia based on her voice. He was looking the other way at the time and didn't actually see her. We know that Agatha has Lucrezia's voice. Therefore, this raises the strong possibility that Euphrosynia was Lucrezia, or Lucrezia wearing Euphrosynia's flesh, since we know Lucrezia has traveled through time in many guises. And it would certainly make a great deal of sense for Lucrezia to try and manipulate/destroy the Shining Coalition. Andronicus also accuses Van Rjin of having spirited Euphrosynia away and Voltaire says the Shining Coalition believed she was scheming against them, all of which seems highly suggestive.
    This seems plausible. The Shining Coalition was a big enough point in time that Lucrezia would have certainly tried to meddle in it to some degree.

Also, I just realized that Andronicus "living" until the Paris incident is a bit of a jab at the Sun King having the longest reign of any European monarch. I should check if that was the case before typing all this, but whatever.

-Squire Doodad

20. - Top - End - #1010

72 years and change. Elizabeth II will pass him if she makes it through 2025.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    72 years and change. Elizabeth II will pass him if she makes it through 2025.
    Yeah, but he cheated by starting his reign when he was four and a half years old, whereas Lizzie was 25 when she ascended the throne.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Bugbear in the Playground

When they did the whole "Andronicus mistakes Agatha for his bride" thing, I have to wonder if the Foglios remembered they had the two of them meet previously, and Andronicus both saw and heard Agatha, without any particular reaction on his part.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Yeah, but he cheated by starting his reign when he was four and a half years old, whereas Lizzie was 25 when she ascended the throne.
    Hey, it's not cheating if you manage to get your predecessor to die that early.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    When they did the whole "Andronicus mistakes Agatha for his bride" thing, I have to wonder if the Foglios remembered they had the two of them meet previously, and Andronicus both saw and heard Agatha, without any particular reaction on his part.
    I'm sure they did. It was just showing how far gone Andy's mind was.

And Gil is again really quick on the uptake. The Muse seems more than a little taken aback on how fast Gil's mind moved and in what direction. And dump some water on the Storm King rumors. I don't think Albia is trying to help anything, she trying to manipulate and it's going to blow up in her face.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    I don't know. Do you have a link for that previous time? I'll go check out what I think.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I don't know. Do you have a link for that previous time? I'll go check out what I think.
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...5#.XyQZ8SgzaUk
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Andronicus thought Agatha was Euphrosynia based on her voice. He was looking the other way at the time and didn't actually see her. We know that Agatha has Lucrezia's voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...5#.XyQZ8SgzaUk
    This all looks pretty consistent - Andronicus initially identifies Agatha as a Heterodyne servant when he sees her clearly, so she doesn't look much like Euphrosynia.

In the fight he identifies her by voice because he is intially facing away, and although he does see her immediately afterwards, he has just taken a death ray to the face and is dying, so it's not too surprising that he doesn't realise the truth.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

28. - Top - End - #1018

Orotine looks like the next thing she'll say is Does Not Compute.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Here's a crazy idea. What if being Storm King is based on the Muses liking you? If you need all the muses to say "This person", and one of them will not accept so-and-so no matter what, and it's just a matter of getting these mechanical voters to agree on the winner.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Here's a crazy idea. What if being Storm King is based on the Muses liking you? If you need all the muses to say "This person", and one of them will not accept so-and-so no matter what, and it's just a matter of getting these mechanical voters to agree on the winner.
    That doesn't seem likely to me, since there's only been one official Storm King so far, and he had that title before the Muses were made.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.