New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1462
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

Abner needs to take some lessons from Von Zinzer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, a true spark never allows modesty to interfere with the warping of reality.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't remember chef Taki speaking that broken English in the Circus arc; Do I remember wrong?

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maybe he was actually speaking German, and now everyone is speaking English because they're in England.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

This is Otto (a.k.a. Ollie), not Taki.

That aside, you are correct. He spoke normally when Agatha first met him and Rivet when they asked her to fix a wheel.

According to the wiki his accent is a retcon - the books gave him an accent when they established he was from Bulgaria. His appearance here is bringing the comic in line with the books, which have thus far appeared to be the "true" canon as the Foglios go through repairing plot holes and updating the story now that they have a firmer grasp of the plot.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ettin in the Playground

Dayum. I don't swing that way but I can appreciate not!Wooster's abs all the same.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

7. - Top - End - #1027

Beholder

I keep thinking Rakethorn is Wooster.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Colossus in the Playground

The funny thing is, I could see wooster doing this, BUT in his case it would be an attempt to get agatha to do exactly what she is doing here. "Gil will fry the hemisphere if we continue to see agatha in her underthings, so the only option is to embarrass her into getting dressed."
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #1029

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    The funny thing is, I could see wooster doing this, BUT in his case it would be an attempt to get agatha to do exactly what she is doing here. "Gil will fry the hemisphere if we continue to see agatha in her underthings, so the only option is to embarrass her into getting dressed."
    Wooster and Von Zinzer are both good minions, they just have completely different styles of controlling the sparks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Wooster and Von Zinzer are both good minions, they just have completely different styles of controlling the sparks.
    A bucket of water splashed on her is entirely the wrong response. Unless we get back to xxx-enophiles or whatever it was called.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Actually, my response was "Finally Agatha's beefcake detector goes off properly!". (Especially after Violetta's and Zeetha's went off like Doom Bells here)
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

12. - Top - End - #1032

Beholder

Looks like Dimo is at the right kind of party.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

OK, I know what in England is called Toad in the Hole, but Toad in a Wallet? It might be sausage, but covered in Yorkshire pudding instead of left half exposed.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    OK, I know what in England is called Toad in the Hole, but Toad in a Wallet? It might be sausage, but covered in Yorkshire pudding instead of left half exposed.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they were actual toads.

On the other hand, the tray she's talking might be the one on the trolley next to her. In which case it would appear to be sausages in buns/pastry/Yorkshire pudding. They look like Texas-style kolaches to me.

Damnit, now I'm hungry.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    He's mixing business with pleasure. I'm sure he's keeping an eye (and noes) on what's going into the food while playing cards.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I'm amazed I missed him on my first look. And to the right there's Oggie on the pull. Where is Maxim?

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    That was my thought as well - Toad in the Hole is one fof my favourites (just behind Yorkshire Pudding itself, although heretically* I prefer it on its own, without Gravy). There's still a bit of sausage exposed, though.

*My Mother came from Yorkshire. I know how it's supposed to be served.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

17. - Top - End - #1037

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    This is Otto (a.k.a. Ollie), not Taki.

That aside, you are correct. He spoke normally when Agatha first met him and Rivet when they asked her to fix a wheel.

According to the wiki his accent is a retcon - the books gave him an accent when they established he was from Bulgaria. His appearance here is bringing the comic in line with the books, which have thus far appeared to be the "true" canon as the Foglios go through repairing plot holes and updating the story now that they have a firmer grasp of the plot.
    As a contributor the the GG wiki, it is important to remember that we're all just a bunch of fans, we have no secret insider knowledge, and the Foglios (as far as I know) have made no contributions to it.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    As a contributor the the GG wiki, it is important to remember that we're all just a bunch of fans, we have no secret insider knowledge, and the Foglios (as far as I know) have made no contributions to it.
    I don't believe I suggested otherwise. I don't recall without looking at my copy, but I assume the Wiki is correct that Ollie has an accent in the books. A retcon is the logical explanation for Ollie suddenly developing an accent here, and bringing the two continuities in line is the only explanation I can think of for the change. I do appear to have read a bit too much into the Wiki entry, as it only guesses about him being Bulgarian.

The bit about the books being "true canon" is purely surmise on my part. I like to think it's educated surmise based on a noticeable pattern of the books cleaning up writing mistakes and clarifying plot points from early in the story. Nevertheless, it is only a theory.

I can also see the webcomic correcting some of the extra scenes from the books, like the eve of the Storm King's disappearance. I'm sure the exact details are always in flux. Most of the time, the books will be behind and will be correcting the comic. On other occasions, the webcomic may correct the novels if it's information first revealed there.

19. - Top - End - #1039

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Isn't that exactly what someone with secret insider knowledge would say?
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

20. - Top - End - #1040

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Isn't that exactly what someone with secret insider knowledge would say?
    Nah, if you have actual insider knowledge the best plan is to blatantly act like you have them, people wouldn't believe you in that case.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Besides, any Spark worth their salt would lord it over their fellows with inside knowledge. After all, how are your enemies to know how badly you've crushed them if you don't get to tell them?

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Troll in the Playground

Nah, if you have actual insider knowledge the best plan is to blatantly act like you have them, people wouldn't believe you in that case.
    But a particularly smart person with inside knowledge would know that and thus say they do not have any inside knowledge, so you would think they do not have any.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

23. - Top - End - #1043

So, err, Hadrian Rakethorn is a Commander. And famous enough that people can (implausibly) claim to be him. Did we know this?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

24. - Top - End - #1044

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    So, err, Hadrian Rakethorn is a Commander. And famous enough that people can (implausibly) claim to be him. Did we know this?
    We knew Wooster was a Commander and it was strongly implied that they were the same rank.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    We knew Wooster was a Commander and it was strongly implied that they were the same rank.
    Same rank, but Wooster seemed to have a lot more authority. RIP Wooster.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Halfling in the Playground

Commander is also the rank claimed by James Bond and (iirc) Jack Ryan when undercover. It’s a senior middle officer rank, often with administrative authority. High enough to outrank nearly everyone, but not high enough to be a known quantity with a reputation. Good rank for a spy.
    The DM has spoken.

You failed your Will save to resist.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wait! You can't remove me! I'm a service animal!"
    "Service animal?"
    "Well, Secret Service..."
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Great.
    That chef's the stupid kind of clever.
    Is his favourite word "inconceivable"?
    I mean, his doubts are understandable, but maybe he should've looked at the guest list.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

29. - Top - End - #1049

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Great.
    I mean, his doubts are understandable, but maybe he should've looked at the guest list.
    Actually, I am surprised that he doesn't have a secret service goon looming in the kitchen. It's a gala with the head of state, her daughters/heirs, the Baron, a military leader (Martellus), the Heterodyne, a princess of Skyfander, the Spark of the Realm, and probably more. The cook may be trusted, but he could be killed and substituted.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Troll in the Playground

I miss Wooster.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Great.
    Well, yes. But even if the guest list had Cmdr. Rakethorn and Krosp, Emperor of Cats, how would he know these are really those, and why would distinguished guests be coming back into his kitchen, anyway? SOME doubt IS reasonable. Perhaps not this much, though.