New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1631323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1462
  1. - Top - End - #1201

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

I suspect we're at a point of false calm, akin to partway through the Battle of Mechanicsburg. Unfortunately, there aren't enough panels devoted to helping Violetta show off her pretty dress she finally gets to wear.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I suspect we're at a point of false calm, akin to partway through the Battle of Mechanicsburg. Unfortunately, there aren't enough panels devoted to helping Violetta show off her pretty dress she finally gets to wear.
    I thought that was when the monsters were taken down but before NotAnvenka showed up
    Or maybe I'm getting worse at reading the flow of the narrative.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Hmm, jagged speech bubble, but still pretty much symmetrical. This isn't the Madness Place, this is "all according to plan".
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yep. Looks like she's definitely intending to dance with the Queen (or for the bot to do so). Still not sure how that will go down, though.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ogre in the Playground

Her Majesty is a spark; how could she resist a giant robot?

Then we'll see what the distraction is for...
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

6. - Top - End - #1206

Heck, a giant robot would be a death sentence for the whole dome, as every Spark present charges in to make their own 'small adjustments and refinements'.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post

Her majesty has had a second breakthrough. That robot must look like an unimaginative child's toy to her.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Edit: Also, if there's this well-known convention about Albia on her balcony, why did nobody inform Agatha? (Or did they?)
    Because it is a well-known convention, and so everyone expects everyone to already know it? It's the kind of basic knowledge every nobleman is aware of - so obvious, that no-one thinks to point it out (in the same way, for example, that in the United States it is considered extremely rude to remain sitting when the president stands, or so West Wing tells me).

But Agatha has only been a Heterodyne and thus a power player for, what, four weeks I think it was? And has not had a moment's rest in that time? Yes, I'm sure there are hordes of attendants that will happily take her aside and tell her all the customs she's expected to fragrantly violate, so that if she does do a faux pas it is on purpose (she's still a Heterodyne, after all), but the bottom line is that she hasn't had that education yet, because she hasn't had the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Her majesty has had a second breakthrough. That robot must look like an unimaginative child's toy to her.
    So has Agatha, if only briefly, so maybe it looks like an imaginative children's toy? Or possibly an unimaginative grown-up tool?

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-08-31 at 10:20 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #1209

Sorry, but
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    fragrantly violate,
    I just had this image of the attendants powdering and perfuming her at the same time while informing her of the courtesies required.

But really ... She had time to get dressed into the previous monstrosity, with maids, and with Violetta, who is minor nobility. I'm just going to assume that she was told.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ettin in the Playground

I dunno, Her Majesty has been around for far longer than Van Rijn, yet he's still held as the spark to beat. Could be some of that is Patriarchy, but the Muses are still fantastically complicated machines. On the other hand that might be like comparing modern rockets to intricate clockwork - it is fundamentally different forces at play and the rocket is unquestionably more advanced, and yet the clockwork is more artistic.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

11. - Top - End - #1211

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I dunno, Her Majesty has been around for far longer than Van Rijn, yet he's still held as the spark to beat. Could be some of that is Patriarchy, but the Muses are still fantastically complicated machines. On the other hand that might be like comparing modern rockets to intricate clockwork - it is fundamentally different forces at play and the rocket is unquestionably more advanced, and yet the clockwork is more artistic.
    I suspect people on the Continent are also far more familiar with RVR's work than Albia, who presumably never leaves her kingdom these days.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Troll in the Playground

It's also possible that Albia's particular interests are less oriented towards the industrial and therefore her impact is less physical and more cultural in nature. Arguably Albia's great creation is the British Empire itself, which appears to be the largest state in Europa to have managed to persist for more than a generation. Her empire at least has contact with the Americas - the princesses mentioned them - and probably other far-flung regions like whatever the equivalents of China and India happen to be (they're importing all that tea from somewhere).
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

We know that there is contact with China as we have Dr. Sun who runs the Great Hospital in Mechanicsburg. Also Sun mentioned that word of Klaus getting injured was probably already being talked about in the Forbidden City (Though he may have been speaking a bit metaphorically.) I suspect that traveling to North America isn't the real problem. More like some sort of defenses have been set up or some spark really messed up somehow (or both) since the Boys were around (Thundering Engine Woman is a spark from the America's that came from North America.) Or maybe the Boys managed to get past those defenses.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post

Simple fact: everyone digs giant robots.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    More like some sort of defenses have been set up or some spark really messed up somehow (or both) since the Boys were around ... Or maybe the Boys managed to get past those defenses.
    In Turbines of Atlantis, to cross the Atlantic they had to fight a sea monster, reverse the seven turbines to defeat the Spark Emperor of the Deepest Trench and so on. It was a a pain then too.

16. - Top - End - #1216

Albia is a social scientist, so her activities are far less visible than RvR's.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Most every Spark has their specialty. Albia's seems to be in the organic realm - her garden, her longevity, and her ability to morph her own body. Therefore, she may regard building robots as not child's play, but as somewhat unsophisticated - the way a jazz musician might look at a polka band.

Meaning no offense to fans of polka.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Most good musicians (Those not on an ego trip) will recognize skill in others when they see it no matter the type of music. They may not like it, but they realize the skill was there. I suspect that Albia will be "impressed" not by the clank, but by Agatha creating something to dance with Albia at her giant size.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I suspect that Albia will be "impressed" not by the clank, but by Agatha creating something to dance with Albia at her giant size.
    Albia's probably like Klaus - only writ on a longer period. From what she hasn't filed away in the Memory.
    She's seen a LOT of sparks and their variations. I suspect she'll be impressed by the clank - any two bit mechanically minded spark can create a clank.

But something delicate? Graceful? Van Rijn?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post

Note: I do not see Higgs in any of the crowd shots since Agatha entered the ballroom. Aside from the mega-sparks, if there is anyone there who is even the slightest threat to Albia, it's Higgs. But the same goes for Martellus; if Agatha wants to take him down a peg, Higgs would probably enjoy it. I suspect that whatever Agatha has planned, it involves General Higgs.
    Hmm. I wonder if this really is all there is to the trick. Krosp seems to just have been sent to fetch the Jaegers not anything else from the kitchens. Requesting Higgs specifically might just have been to give him a chance to dance with Zeetha.

21. - Top - End - #1221

Ahahaa. I expected a dragon clank dance with Albia, but dragon clank transforms into gentleman clank complete with fireworks and festive English flags to make a better dancing partner. No, I didn't see that coming.

(One of these days the Foglios owe us an explanation for why Albia of England, who has reigned for thousands of years, uses the Union Jack. Even if she does rule over all of Scotland, Ireland, and England, why use a flag based on the counterchanging of three cross-flags for Christian saints? ...Perhaps I'm overthinking it.)
    Last edited by Deliverance; 2020-09-02 at 02:14 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

If they didn't use that flag and other standard English things that we know today, it really wouldn't be England. It would be some other county that happened to rule the British Isles and it wouldn't mean very much to the readers. No tropes, no cliches, no puns.

23. - Top - End - #1223

I'm guessing the site isn't down for anyone else, then? Just me?

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

From the Profs Twitter it seems that Australia, New Zealand and even Japan is having problems. So it's not you. They are looking into what's wrong.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
    Ahahaa. I expected a dragon clank dance with Albia, but dragon clank transforms into gentleman clank complete with fireworks and festive English flags to make a better dancing partner. No, I didn't see that coming.

(One of these days the Foglios owe us an explanation for why Albia of England, who has reigned for thousands of years, uses the Union Jack. Even if she does rule over all of Scotland, Ireland, and England, why use a flag based on the counterchanging of three cross-flags for Christian saints? ...Perhaps I'm overthinking it.)
    There probably are differences, but the parts that the authors are going to bother showing us are the ones that match our own world (so that we'll have a frame of reference and not need everything explained to us). Same reason why Star Trek: the Next Generation kept having Shakespeare references and holodeck adventures to 1920s gangster and age-of-sail Caribbean adventures (and Joe Piscopo as a famous standup), all the while alluding to Tallulian operas and Whubdubian poetry and some 23rd century astrophysics standup comic who the crew partakes on days we don't see.

26. - Top - End - #1226

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
    The question is how much of a goddess she considers herself... we haven't seen her receiving open worship or proskynesis.

Another reason is that historical England got its flag from Genua (not from religious affiliation). I'm not sure of where Scotland's flag comes from, nor about that of British Ireland. Ireland's seems to derive from the crest of a family, and its association with Ireland's Patrick was invented when it was used as a symbol for the Anglo-Irish Order of St Patrick. Scotland's doesn't seem to have a clear-cut origin, and may very well have simply been a very recognizable symbol that was called a certain name in heraldry.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

27. - Top - End - #1227

SamuraiGuy

Agatha succeeded in confusing / shocking Albia.

That may not have happened to her in a few centuries.

And she's delighted.

And Lord Womble getting ready to take Agatha on with his sword is ... quaint?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

28. - Top - End - #1228

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    The question is how much of a goddess she considers herself... we haven't seen her receiving open worship or proskynesis.
    Good point.

Another reason is that historical England got its flag from Genua (not from religious affiliation). I'm not sure of where Scotland's flag comes from, nor about that of British Ireland. Ireland's seems to derive from the crest of a family, and its association with Ireland's Patrick was invented when it was used as a symbol for the Anglo-Irish Order of St Patrick. Scotland's doesn't seem to have a clear-cut origin, and may very well have simply been a very recognizable symbol that was called a certain name in heraldry.
    Genoa's adopted the flag of St. George during the crusades. Later during the 13th century the English crown paid Genoa for the right of English vessels to fly Genoa's flag for convenience (the convenience of not being attacked) and that was the start of that.

So the religious affiliation with St. George was already there when England adopted it from Genoa, so to speak, not a later invention - though the explicit adoption of St. George as patron saint for England came later with the reformation. But yes, the religious affiliation was not the reason for the adoption of the flag in any case except arguably the Irish - and that's a weak argument.

The "X" on a blank field is certainly an old field sign (like many other simple and easily recognizable geometrical shapes) and is the origin of the heraldic saltire as far as I know; the religious association came later.

Anyhow, I'm very unclear on the fate of Ireland and Scotland in the GG-verse, but it just seems a remarkable coincidence () that Albia's England uses a flag that required a rather specific set of circumstances in our history (England adapting flag from Genoa in the 13th century, Scotland getting their flag in the 16th century.. or centuries earlier if you ask some Scots, certainly before the acts of Union with England, and these united with a flag for Ireland that is an 18th century creation to create a common union flag Scotland and England+Ireland ended the personal union and united), despite it being rather unlikely that those circumstances occurred in the GG-verse where English history has been substantially different for thousands of years.

But.. yes, this is probably overthinking it.
    Last edited by Deliverance; 2020-09-02 at 10:07 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Titan in the Playground

Given the kind of comic this is, I wouldn't be surprised if the sword could shoot lasers or something.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Colossus in the Playground

Agatha succeeded in confusing / shocking Albia.

That may not have happened to her in a few centuries.

And she's delighted.

Considering how little attention agatha is paying to him, yeah, quaint is about where that ranks.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."