Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PhantomFox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Off-topic thoughts from today's comic:

    What the **** is Oggie's hand doing in the first panel?

    Oh, he's sewing. With a frame and everything. My sewing never looked like that...

    What's he sewing?
    His shirt, by the looks of it.
    Avatar by Glasswhistle
    Let's Play Super Mario RPG
    Random Twitch Stream

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Oh, he's sewing. With a frame and everything. My sewing never looked like that...

    What's he sewing?


    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    His shirt, by the looks of it.
    Yup - He's not doing embroidery with a frame (I can't see a frame anywhere), he's reparing his shirt - probably stitching up where it got in the way of a stab wound. You can't look sharp if your shirt is in ribbons.

    I like the interplay here - Oggie is old enough that the attractive marriage option was the girl who could carry two pigs under her arms rather than the pretty one. And he very obviously cared about her.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Yup - He's not doing embroidery with a frame (I can't see a frame anywhere), he's reparing his shirt - probably stitching up where it got in the way of a stab wound. You can't look sharp if your shirt is in ribbons.

    I like the interplay here - Oggie is old enough that the attractive marriage option was the girl who could carry two pigs under her arms rather than the pretty one. And he very obviously cared about her.
    Standards of beauty also change with time, so his wife might have been considered pretty when he married her but would be considered ugly by the current standards. Or his wife was decently attractive when they met and she got ugly later in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Standards of beauty also change with time, so his wife might have been considered pretty when he married her but would be considered ugly by the current standards. Or his wife was decently attractive when they met and she got ugly later in life.
    Or for that matter it could be his now-Jaeger standards at work. She could be ugly because she doesn't have fangs.

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Agi Hammerthief's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    see homepage
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    ... the girl who could carry two pigs under her arms rather than the pretty one. ...
    Discworld reference, or is that a common meme?
    * my emphasis

    http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

    Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Fairly common. For a large chunk of human history, being able to do the work was more important than appearances. Modern Beauty Culture is a pretty late development.

  7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Im betting she is stunning but only according to human tastes. Not enough fangs and claws for a proper sexy jaeger bride.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    Discworld reference, or is that a common meme?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Fairly common. For a large chunk of human history, being able to do the work was more important than appearances. Modern Beauty Culture is a pretty late development.
    It is in fact both: I am very aware of the principle, but I think Pratchett managed to encapsulate it nicely in words.

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im betting she is stunning but only according to human tastes. Not enough fangs and claws for a proper sexy jaeger bride.
    And lest we forget who the typical Jager pin-up girl is : 1, 2.

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im betting she is stunning but only according to human tastes. Not enough fangs and claws for a proper sexy jaeger bride.
    Andre doesn't seem to be caught up in appearances here. Now that I think of it, reading Andre's list of attributes, I do wonder why Madame Von Pinn has the Jager seal of approval, while none of them seem to be interested in Bang. Perhaps because they know her from their time in the castle and recognise her as (at least in part) a girl from home.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2020-04-13 at 02:01 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  9. - Top - End - #219
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Jaegers were nuts even back then.

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    They like incredibly lethal and violent ladies, fangs and claws included. So I could see him hooking up with a relatively normal lady and this was him admitting that she isnt a jaeger 10, but she was sweet enough for him. We have seen them flirting with normal looking ladies, but they tend to really lose it for the scary ones.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    For some strange reason I am imagining her like Oggie with a beard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    An ugly woman in Girl Genius? Is that even allowed?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground
     
    tyckspoon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    An ugly woman in Girl Genius? Is that even allowed?
    If it's just an informed attribute and we never actually see the picture in the locket sure, but I'm going with 'this is a humorously ironic situation created by different standards of attractiveness.'

  14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    An ugly woman in Girl Genius? Is that even allowed?
    Looking through the back issues, the art style doesn't really lend itself to "ugly", so it's hard to tell, but there's the young Albia; I suspect that Mistress Spudna is not conventually attractive; Lillith is supposed to have asymmetric features (especially mismatched eyes); Da Gurls aren't exactly lookers, but with them it's hard to tell what is make-up.

    Also the early drawings of Sanna and some of Zola (admittedly while on drugs) look somewhat off.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground
     
    tyckspoon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Looking through the back issues, the art style doesn't really lend itself to "ugly", so it's hard to tell, but there's the young Albia; I suspect that Mistress Spudna is not conventually attractive; Lillith is supposed to have asymmetric features (especially mismatched eyes); Da Gurls aren't exactly lookers, but with them it's hard to tell what is make-up.

    Also the early drawings of Sanna and some of Zola (admittedly while on drugs) look somewhat off.
    Phil's always had kind of a ... flexible approach to model consistency, and there's more than a few pages where characters are kind of deformed even when they're not being cartoonishly exaggerated in the middle of a fit of anger or yelling. Not sure how much any single page can be taken as a representative of what a character 'should' like like for this particular artist. (Although yeah mistress Spudna appears to basically be a football with a toothy mouth and is probably not many people's choice of beauty ideal.)

  16. - Top - End - #226
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    New comic is up.

    I'm not crying. You're crying!

  17. - Top - End - #227
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    I kind of had flashbacks to the first ten minutes of Up! there...and one wonders just how long it's been since that last panel, given how long Jaegers live?

  18. - Top - End - #228
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Oggie's wife died 74 years after conceiving their child. That's a long life there.

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I kind of had flashbacks to the first ten minutes of Up! there...and one wonders just how long it's been since that last panel, given how long Jaegers live?
    Given that the stroyteller is only Oggie's great-great grandson, I'd say fifty years-ish.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  19. - Top - End - #229
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Oggie's wife died 74 years after conceiving their child. That's a long life there.
    Not an infeasibly long one, though--she could have been as young as 90 or thereabouts when she died.

  20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Not an infeasibly long one, though--she could have been as young as 90 or thereabouts when she died.
    And if the Heterodynes remember you as someone who tells good jokes and sings good songs it is possible that they actually gave you the good medicine when you got sick. I personally guessed 94 for his wife's age at death, but anything between 90 and 120 is possible (albeit, having a child at 46 is unlikely).

    As for how long it has been since his wife died, my mother's great, great, great, great grandfather died about 140 years ago, but she is the same age as someone who is 2 generations closer to him (i.e. he is her great, great grandfather). If Oggie and his wife had children after he took the Jaegerdraught or his descendents had children late in life it could push his age out by a fair bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  21. - Top - End - #231
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    It's also a question of birth order. One of my parents was the youngest of the youngest, the other was the eldest of the eldest, so there was a full generation age gap between those great-grandparents.

  22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    It's also a question of birth order. One of my parents was the youngest of the youngest, the other was the eldest of the eldest, so there was a full generation age gap between those great-grandparents.
    I think in the case I listed a large part of the generation gap was because my ancestor was one of the first kids (so born when 5-great grandpa was ~25) and the nth-cousin was a product of his old age (when 5-great grandpa was 70 or so and had just married a 20-year old).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  23. - Top - End - #233
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    And if the Heterodynes remember you as someone who tells good jokes and sings good songs it is possible that they actually gave you the good medicine when you got sick. I personally guessed 94 for his wife's age at death, but anything between 90 and 120 is possible (albeit, having a child at 46 is unlikely).

    As for how long it has been since his wife died, my mother's great, great, great, great grandfather died about 140 years ago, but she is the same age as someone who is 2 generations closer to him (i.e. he is her great, great grandfather).
    Great-great-great-uncle right?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Great-great-great-uncle right?
    To make this simpler I will assign names to the people involved. My 5th-great-grandfather is John. He had 2 sons (well, 2 that matter in this case), named Fred (who he had at 25) and George (who he had at 70). Fred is my 4th-great-grandfather. George is my 4th-great-uncle and is the ancestor of my cousin-a-couple-times-removed who is my mother's age. I am not actually sure how many greats back it is, nor how many generations different it is, but the difference in generations is at least 2 and John is at least 7 generations back from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  25. - Top - End - #235
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    At that level of genetic drift, they essentially aren't related to you at all. But I think the term would be first cousin X times removed.

  26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    At that level of genetic drift, they essentially aren't related to you at all. But I think the term would be first cousin X times removed.
    My mother's brother and, let's call her Sue, Sue's brother would have almost identical Y-chromosomes, but otherwise relatedness is indeed rather low. And technically for a y-cousin z-times removed y is the minimum generations back to siblings and z is the difference between the generations to siblings. So my uncle's children are my first cousins, their children are my 1st-cousins once-removed, and my great-uncle's grandchildren are my second cousins. My great-uncle's children are also my first cousins once removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  27. - Top - End - #237
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    To make this simpler I will assign names to the people involved. My 5th-great-grandfather is John. He had 2 sons (well, 2 that matter in this case), named Fred (who he had at 25) and George (who he had at 70). Fred is my 4th-great-grandfather. George is my 4th-great-uncle and is the ancestor of my cousin-a-couple-times-removed who is my mother's age. I am not actually sure how many greats back it is, nor how many generations different it is, but the difference in generations is at least 2 and John is at least 7 generations back from me.
    Ah okay, I thought the ‘her’ in your previous post was still your mother.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Oggie gives good advice.
    Okay, the specifics might be a bit odd, but, well, Jägermonster.
    And in general it still applies.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

    Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")



  29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Ah, good old Oggie - not so much the wrong end of the stick as the wrong end of the forest.

    Interestingly, he refers to Higgs as "De kid", which suggests that Higgs is younger than him - but Higgs is a General, which seems to be a function of age.

    And there is the suggestion that he is disappointed in him (for not growing horns and stuff).
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

    Maybe Higgs is "de kid" because he looks like one by Jäger standards.
    I mean, all those features come with time, don't they?
    Either that or he matured faster/was less wild from the start than the usual Jäger.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2020-04-17 at 09:15 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

    Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •