New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1193 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I may be wrong, but Disney only bought Lucasfilm in 2012, right? So if you're specifically only talking about "Disney" Star Wars stuff, that one wouldn't count. I maybe missed the point of this argument if that's not what we're talking about.
    He doesn’t count animated stuff because no one ever really counts the Clone Wars movie as a Star Wars movie.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

He doesn’t count animated stuff because no one ever really counts the Clone Wars movie as a Star Wars movie.
    Yes, exactly.

Also I'm almost entirely joking. Anyone who's seen that movie will agree it should be forgotten.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-03-02 at 08:14 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yes, exactly.

Also I'm almost entirely joking. Anyone who's seen that movie will agree it should be forgotten.
    And yet you remind us.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #184

Yes, exactly.

Movie? What movie? The Clone Wars is a well liked animated series, I don’t remember any movie set in that, they just skipped over that in episode 3. I only know of 9 Star Warses, eight numbered ones (it’s really weird they didn’t make a ninth, oh well), and Rogue One.
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

it’s really weird they didn’t make a ninth, oh well
    They didn't make an eight also. Maybe you are mixing with some "A Star Wars Story" title

This new trilogy of one (Episode VII: A New New Hope) is really different.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

6. - Top - End - #186

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    And yet you remind us.
    As they say, misery loves company.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As they say, misery loves company.
    Just use one of the mind control devices that im sure the mods totally don't have on yourself to wipe your memory and return to your fun.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Just use one of the mind control devices that im sure the mods totally don't have on yourself to wipe your memory and return to your fun.
    But then when I die and meet the Gatekeeping George Lucas in the Skywalker Ranch, and I say, "Oh wow I loved Star Wars!" and he will say, "but did you even see them all?" with a disappointed look on his beard.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

But then when I die and meet the Gatekeeping George Lucas in the Skywalker Ranch, and I say, "Oh wow I loved Star Wars!" and he will say, "but did you even see them all?" with a disappointed look on his beard.
    And you will say "yes!" and as far as you will be concerned, it will be true.

Alternatively, there is such an absolute abundance of star wars media out there that nobody will ever be able to answer yes to that question honestly.

Besides, TCW isn't a movie, its just a really long pilot episode. Lots of series do that.

And no, im not trying to rationalize ignoring it at all. Whatever are you talking about?
    Last edited by Keltest; 2020-03-02 at 10:18 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #190

Note to self: use mind control device on KeltestIMEAN HEY how's it going see any good Star Wars lately?

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Note to self: use mind control device on KeltestIMEAN HEY how's it going see any good Star Wars lately?
    No Wait, yes! The Mandalorian. That's still "lately" right?

12. - Top - End - #192

No Wait, yes! The Mandalorian. That's still "lately" right?
    It’s the latest, we haven’t had a movie since 2017 and the next season of the Clone Wars isn’t out as far as I know.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

It’s the latest, we haven’t had a movie since 2017 and the next season of the Clone Wars isn’t out as far as I know.
    Apparently it started broadcasting on Feb 21st on Disney+. Wouldn't know, don't have it and won't be justifying Disney's greed by getting it.

14. - Top - End - #194

Apparently it started broadcasting on Feb 21st on Disney+. Wouldn't know, don't have it and won't be justifying Disney's greed by getting it.
    Far be it from me to suggest Disney isn't greedy, but I have a much smaller problem with a company that has an absolutely massive media library, such as Disney, making their own streaming service than a significantly smaller company with a correspondingly smaller library, such as CBS, making their own streaming service.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Far be it from me to suggest Disney isn't greedy, but I have a much smaller problem with a company that has an absolutely massive media library, such as Disney, making their own streaming service than a significantly smaller company with a correspondingly smaller library, such as CBS, making their own streaming service.
    Agreed. Disney is probably the only company that I can accept having a company-library-exclusive streaming service for. Maybe Warner Bros or whatever their full name is, if they aren't a part of Disney by now. I don't want to have to pay for 10 streaming services across an equal number of networks just to watch the shows I like.

16. - Top - End - #196

Maybe Warner Bros or whatever their full name is, if they aren't a part of Disney by now.
    Warner Bros. is owned by Warner Media, which is owned by AT&T, which is proud to be one of America's five companies.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-03-02 at 11:47 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

if they aren't a part of Disney by now.
    They should, if just to make me have only one place to see everything and make Marvel/DC crossovers really easy...

PS: And come on! How in the galaxy the company that owns Star Wars isn't already the owner of the one called AT&T
    Last edited by D.One; 2020-03-02 at 11:43 AM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

{scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2020-03-03 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Scrubbed
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    They should, if just to make me have only one place to see everything and make Marvel/DC crossovers really easy...

PS: And come on! How in the galaxy the company that owns Star Wars isn't already the owner of the one called AT&T
    Ive heard AT&T is actually considering selling DC to Marvel if this next run of comics isn't profitable. I don't even want to imagine what that would do to the various movie rights.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I have a problem with any media company doing it. They didn't set up their own TV channels back in the day*, or set up shops which were the only place you could buy their DVDs, why are they doing such things now everything is in the digital domain?

* Or at least, in cases where they *did*, they didn't restrict those channels to only playing on their own TVs! They were still happy to sell them to Sky or whoever for general broadcast.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I have a problem with any media company doing it. They didn't set up their own TV channels back in the day*, or set up shops which were the only place you could buy their DVDs, why are they doing such things now everything is in the digital domain?

* Or at least, in cases where they *did*, they didn't restrict those channels to only playing on their own TVs! They were still happy to sell them to Sky or whoever for general broadcast.
    Because the middleman is not mechanically necessary here. In practice, most of the networks will need one to consolidate their services into something worth actually paying for, but they can create and operate their own streaming services without Netflix's assistance. But selling Disney brand TVs or whatever would require them to create TVs to sell, and secure a means of distributing them, and basically for them to invest a lot of resources into operating the storefront on top of making the actual product. That is a lot more potential points of failure for them to manage.

23. - Top - End - #203

I have a problem with any media company doing it.
    Oh, I do too. I just have a bigger problem with companies that, effectively are doing it mostly banking on a single property. Like CBS.
    They didn't set up their own TV channels back in the day*, or set up shops which were the only place you could buy their DVDs, why are they doing such things now everything is in the digital domain?

Devil's advocate: it's still not like that. it's more like selling their channel a la carte instead of bundled in with the cable companies. You can still play it on most any TV, for example.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Besides, TCW isn't a movie, its just a really long pilot episode. Lots of series do that.
    Not even that; it was multiple normal-sized episodes mashed together into a movie format, like some of marketing Frankenstein was in charge. I suppose if the goal was to get people who only watched Star Wars movies to know there was a Star Wars series, that was a way to go about it...but I'd think intentionally making a movie would have resulted in a better movie.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I love Rebels, but in the spirit of everyone and their mothers ignoring the 2008 film The Clone Wars, I assume only live-action counts.
    Call me a weirdo, but I actually really like the Clone Wars movie. Then again, Solo is my favorite of the live-action films, so maybe I’m a little bit nuts.

I also really like Resistance.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

26. - Top - End - #206

All this time, Julia didn't actually believe her brother was doing anything with genuinely serious consequences, did she?
    It doesn't matter what you CAN do--it matters what you WILL do.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lheticus View Post
    All this time, Julia didn't actually believe her brother was doing anything with genuinely serious consequences, did she?
    My sisters and I all have serious real world jobs, with consequences when we fail.

If one of us suddenly sprang it on the others that the world would end if we failed at our current job task, I think the other two would be really surprised by that, and probably say something like "You've got to be kidding me" rather than "Well, I mean, that's not really going to happen, right? You'll stop it."

So, to me, Julia is reacting quite well. She accepts that he's actually doing the whole world saving thing with barely a blink, and wants to help. I'd say that her reaction shows that she was already aware that his adventures were important, she just didn't realize how important. If she'd thought he was working on something trivial, she'd never have accepted that he's saving the world that quickly.
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2020-03-02 at 01:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Barbarian in the Playground

Also, let's remember how often the world almost ends in a parody D&D universe. I bet Julia's already saved the world twice while this was going on.

She just didn't appreciate that Roy is now on a dramatic quest to save the world, instead of mearly a whimsical one.

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    My sisters and I all have serious real world jobs, with consequences when we fail.

If one of us suddenly sprang it on the others that the world would end if we failed at our current job task, I think the other two would be really surprised by that, and probably say something like "You've got to be kidding me" rather than "Well, I mean, that's not really going to happen, right? You'll stop it."
    You and your sisters don't live in a world where one can literally alter reality by being really, really smart, to be fair here.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You and your sisters don't live in a world where one can literally alter reality by being really, really smart, to be fair here.
    I suspect a number of engineers would take issue with that.