Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Best Magic Initiate Cantrips

I'm building a Lizardfolk Circle of Spores Druid for a campaign I'm playing in. I'm taking the Magic Initiate feat to gain Find Familiar and Booming Blade, but I'm not sure about the third cantrip. I have Shillelagh, Thorn Whip, and Mold Earth from the Druid (the character is level 9, and I'll be taking Shape Water at level 10). At first I was going to take Light, but that's boring, and Green Fire Blade seems redundant. What would you pick?
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Best Magic Initiate Cantrips

Thematically Poison Spray makes sense, but Control Flames is one of my favorite ways to get dark to dim conditions out to 60'.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

How's your Int score? If it isn't that great, I really wouldn't consider an offensive cantrip. Light may be boring, but it's always useful. Prestidigitation can have its uses for some fluff. Message could be handy for some stealthier moments, or Mending for, well, mending. Mage Hand could also be handy as a trap springer or switch puller.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Shocking grasp, sometimes you just need a way to stop reactions.

Also unless you are using the UA spore Druid the circle sucks.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Third cantrip? You only get 2 cantrips. And one spell. From magic initiate.
    I recommend shield, absorb elements or longstrider as your level 1 spell.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticKitty View Post
    Third cantrip? You only get 2 cantrips. And one spell. From magic initiate.
    I recommend shield, absorb elements or longstrider as your level 1 spell.
    His spell is find familiar?

Anyways, I'd second the vote for shocking grasp, you can cast it though your familiar!
    Last edited by iTreeby; 2020-02-25 at 09:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

My Int score is meh so I'm avoiding attack cantrips.

Also I'm using the Ravnica circle of spores which is buffed from the UA version.

And yes I meant third spell not third cantrip, Find Familiar is my level 1 spell.
    Last edited by TheOOB; 2020-02-26 at 01:50 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mage Hand. Always Mage Hand. There's (almost) never a good enough reason not to have Mage Hand.
    Last edited by HPisBS; 2020-02-26 at 01:53 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Utility cantrips like Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, or Minor Illusion are all solid choices. Or, you could take Shape Water, and pick a different druid cantrip at 10th level.

If you're planning on being a melee druid, as Shillelagh and Booming Blade imply, then Thunderclap wouldn't be a bad spell to have, and IIRC it's on the druid list. Take Shape Water or Mold Earth as a wizard spell, and get Thunderclap as a druid spell. Best used when surrounded by 3 or more enemies, but then you might want to Disengage and run away instead. CON save is normally not that attractive, but swarm-type enemies tend to have better DEX than CON. Does not require you to see your target, so may be better than a weapon attack against an invisible/unseen enemy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HPisBS View Post
    Mage Hand. Always Mage Hand. There's (almost) never a good enough reason not to have Mage Hand.
    Agree with this. A remarkably useful cantrip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

11. - Top - End - #11

Lizardfolk

Prestidigitation has some pretty great uses, both with fluff and mechanics. Lighting torches instantly at 10 foot range, snuffing out an enemy's lightsource at the same range, warming/chilling you and your party's clothing for hot/cold climates (environmental hazard avoidance), a smaller Minor Illusion, a small summoned object. Prestidigitation is essentially a tiny bit of every school of magic all wrapped up into one cantrip. If you know what the spell is capable of, you can use it to solve a myriad of different problems. Perfect for a Macgyver style player.
    "There are truly only 2 sources of conflict: Miscommunication, and Intolerance. Of the two, only one is acceptable."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Minor illusion to cover the pit you dug with shape earth?
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem with using Minor Illusion to disguise a hole is that it will rely on an Investigation check versus the Int-score spell save, rather than their normal druid's Wis-score spell save. It's been stated that their Int score isn't the greatest, so "offensive" Minor Illusion won't be all that useful.
    Last edited by JumboWheat01; 2020-02-26 at 03:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

They'd need a reason to investigate that spot, though.

But regardless, Mage Hand is > .

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Any cantrip that’s starts with the letter “M” is always going to be useful

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    The problem with using Minor Illusion to disguise a hole is that it will rely on an Investigation check versus the Int-score spell save, rather than their normal druid's Wis-score spell save. It's been stated that their Int score isn't the greatest, so "offensive" Minor Illusion won't be all that useful.
    First, they have to be suspicious. Second, it only has to last long enough for the first dummy to fall in. I'm pretty sure the jig is up at that point.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Minor Illusion is surely superb. Shape Water is also incredibly useful (can make ice, which you can make into e.g. pykrete or whatever!) as is Prestidigitation (can e.g. effortlessly maintain low temperature on said pykrete). Minor Illusion is just too good overall not to have though. Probably the best cantrip in the game.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, Mending, or Prestidigitation. All are quite solid utility cantrips, well worth your time to pick up.
    The pursuit of knowledge requires a mind unfettered by the petty constraints of ethics, faith, or ... mortality.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Depends on whether there's synergy with the chosen class or not. As mentioned, most utility cantrips are universally useful, since they don't rely on the casting stat. On the other hand, if you do have synergy, you can find some attack cantrips being useful.

Bard: As someone mentioned, all cantrips that start with "M" are useful: Minor Illusion is the bomb with someone creative, Message is a great way to communicate plans on the distance, and Mage Hand is great to activate switches that may be trapped (or may activate a trap). Friends is great if you're the party face and you want a quick distraction. Dancing Lights is, IMO, superior to Light because, while the light radius is smaller, you can move them and spread out the party's field of vision. Prestidigitation is, amongst the "minor effects" spells locked to spell type (Arcane, Divine, "Primal"), one of the best - lots of very practical uses. If you have CHA as a high score (mostly Paladins, though the odd Sorcerer or Warlock that wishes for more cantrips can also get it), note that Bards have exclusive access to Vicious Mockery.

Cleric: Guidance is about the most useful cantrip around, and it's strange that it hasn't been mentioned (in general, that is; the OP is asking for best Wizard cantrips). Light can be useful, but it can also be incredibly redundant, since most classes have access to it. If you have WIS as a high score (essentially Druid, Monk is a good idea, possibly Ranger), you could add Sacred Flame for radiant damage at a distance, though as a damaging cantrip it's kinda lacking. It's also a way for Druids to get Toll the Dead, which is brutal.

Druid: Druids also have Guidance, which is spectacular. Druidcraft is a fairly decent firestarter for a campfire, and has a fair divination effect that allows you to essentially lock in the weather (good to know if you want to take advantage of the surroundings after a heavy rain). The elemental cantrips are also useful, but I find them somewhat more limiting than Druidcraft (though you can technically make water bridges with Shape Water, mind you, and Mold Earth allows for the creation of foxholes). If you have WIS as a high score (essentially Cleric; Monk is a good idea, possibly Ranger), there's Produce Flame which combines Light with a decent ranged fire attack, Frostbite as a decent combo of damage and debuff (and cold damage isn't as resisted), and Primal Savagery deals a ton of damage (acid, though) and uses your casting stat for the attack roll. Shillelagh is the quintessential way to apply your casting stat (in this case, WIS) to attack and damage rolls with certain weapons (plus it increases their damage), but I wouldn't ignore Magic Stone, since it can be given to people without decent ranged attacks to allow them to do fair amounts of damage, has no concentration and can be used as a bonus action (so you can spend the entire time cycling pebble enchanting). I've seen some people swear for Thorn Whip, but I find it useful only if you're willing to get hit.

Sorcerer: Arguably the same as the Bard (save for Vicious Mockery), but they get access to all the elemental altering cantrips (like the Druid), so there's that. If you have CHA as a high score (mostly Bards and Paladins, though the odd Warlock that wishes for more cantrips can also get it), Fire Bolt is one of the spells with the longest range and has a very solid damage die (though it's fire damage, note that), Frostbite combines good damage and a solid debuff (but it's cold damage and hits CON instead of WIS, if you're a Bard), and if enemies get too close, Acid Splash deals fair damage to two enemies (the only ranged AoE cantrip, BTW). If you're good on melee, you can't go wrong with Booming Blade (requires a regular attack roll, but the damage increases with time) and Shocking Grasp (for when you need to deal lightning damage, disengage, or both).

Warlock: They don't get most of the "M" cantrips, but they get Minor Illusion, which is fair, and they get Prestidigitation and the elemental cantrips. If you have CHA as a high score (mostly Bards and Paladins, though the odd Sorcerer that wishes for even MORE cantrips than they have, since they get a ton), obviously you want Eldritch Blast (you can spread out the damage, though you'll eventually need to roll up to four attack rolls, and you don't have the infusions that improve it) and Toll the Dead (best damage around once someone gets hit). If you're a melee character, you can't go wrong with Booming Blade.

Wizard: Wizards and Sorcerers get the same amount of cantrips, except they happen to get Toll the Dead (why no Sorcerers?), so all the good cantrips Sorcerers get, Wizards get as well (Control Flames, Dancing Lights, Friends, Gust, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Minor Illusion, Mold Earth, Prestidigitation, Shape Water). If you have INT as a high score (normally no one, but suddenly Artificers!), most of the damage spells for Sorcerers (Acid Splash, Fire Bolt, Frostbite) can be added to pad in the very small amount of cantrips they get (note that Artificers get the lowest amount of cantrips of all classes), but they happen to get Toll the Dead as well.

As for the OP: since you went for MI (Wizard), you'll want a utility spell. You're not going for Light (I wouldn't say it's boring, but Dancing Lights has it beat), you already have Mold Earth and plan to get Shape Water (why no Guidance? Seriously - it's that good!), so I'd say look for what your party needs. You're not giving enough information as to party structure, so you can end up with redundant spells, but I'd say either Message or...Shape Water. Hear me out. Message is great for communicating with people at long distances, can be subvocalized (i.e., won't be heard easily), and the target can respond as part of the same spell, so you can use it as a sort of walkie-talkie. Shape Water, on the other hand...frees your Druid cantrip to get Guidance, which is almost criminal that you don't have. It's one of the few spells that can be redundant on a team (two people granting bonuses to different people in skill checks, or two of your allies get bonuses to Initiative).
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.