New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Quick Balance Check: "Stat Debt" at level 1 for +1 Feat

Player wants a free feat at level 1 and has a good reason for it given backstory. I don't want to make the other players try to work a feat in when I'm reasonably sure several of them don't want any feats anyway, so here's a quick thought for balance:

You can have a free feat at the start of the game, but you take a -2 penalty to your racial stat bonuses (you decide which racial stat bonuses are effected: a mountain dwarf could have -2 con, -2 str, or -1 syr and -1 con). At fourth level, instead of getting a feat or ability score improvement, your racial ability score bonuses return to normal.

Does that seem reasonable to everyone?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Quick Balance Check: "Stat Debt" at level 1 for +1 Feat

It's "reasonable" in that it's a straight buff to humans.. I can't really think of a reason tonot take that offer, especially considering half feats exist. Offer the same opportunity to your other players to avoid salt.

"You should just homebrew the world's tiniest violin for your bard."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Apart from the interaction with standard human (and maybe half-elf) it looks fine. Your racial stat bonuses are often on your more important stats, so it should be a reasonable trade-off.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-02-27 at 05:20 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

No real balance issues, I think, as long as you "tie-in" the 4th level stat bonus to the racial stat bonus, as you are already planning on doing. It's a minor buff to the character on levels 1-3.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

A fellow player, who also plays at one of my tables. Got a 3rd party supplement 5e book "Fifth Edition Options". It has a rollable table of flaws. Players can elect to roll off it during character creation. Doing so gives the player character a mechanical flaw, the balance is gaining the ability to pick a feat.

It's mostly well received, and creates interesting downfalls for the player to work with and negotiate. One example is our Paladin; Oath of Heroism. Has a phobia to Snakes. So any snake type monster they're auto frighten for the duration of the encounter.