Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default The Greatest 5 Member Party

    So, got inspiration from a friend. I made a group of level 4 PCs.

    Team Stereotype

    Heal Bot: Warforged Life Cleric (w/ Charger).

    Skill Monkey : Animal Hybrid (climb) Lore Bard (w/ Actor)... The skill monkey is a monkey.

    Meet Shield: Dwarven Champion Fighter (w/ Shield Master). Makes you "meet" his shield.

    Reroll Glass Cannon: Stout Halfling Divination Wizard (w/ Lucky)... 18 HP btw... 10 CON.

    Waste of Space: Human (non-variant) Wiz 1/Fght 1/Brd 1/Clr 1 (no feat). All the skills that this one has are duplicate of the skills others have... Has a smaller bonus in them too due to having scores spread thin (14,14,14,13,13,13).

    No matter what you say, this is the best 5 person group. Fight me if you want, but you will never touch the excellence that is this party.
    Last edited by SpawnOfMorbo; 2020-02-26 at 07:04 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    KorvinStarmast's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    Best 5 member party that I have been a part of in D&D 5e:

    1. Devotion Paladin, Dragonborn (Copper)
    2. Gloom Stalker Ranger, vHuman
    3. Nature Cleric, Tabaxi
    4. Lore Bard, half elf
    5. Barbarian(bear), bugbear

    At level 4, the synergy worked very well. Sadly, the campaign is no more thanks to RL.
    Avatar by linklele
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Best 5 member party that I have been a part of in D&D 5e:

    1. Devotion Paladin, Dragonborn (Copper)
    2. Gloom Stalker Ranger, vHuman
    3. Nature Cleric, Tabaxi
    4. Lore Bard, half elf
    5. Barbarian(bear), bugbear

    At level 4, the synergy worked very well. Sadly, the campaign is no more thanks to RL.
    I don't see a Waste of Space, without this one, the other characters won't feel more important and the game will spiral out of control.

    I also don't see any heal bots or skill monkeys.

    You can live with that D&D party set up, if you can call that living... Poor soul, at the very least have a Meet Shield!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    Quote Originally Posted by SpawnOfMorbo View Post
    I don't see a Waste of Space, without this one, the other characters won't feel more important and the game will spiral out of control.

    I also don't see any heal bots or skill monkeys.

    You can live with that D&D party set up, if you can call that living... Poor soul, at the very least have a Meet Shield!
    Technically, any character can fill the Waste of Space role, as long as it's run by the Guy Who Never Shows Up to Game.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    Quote Originally Posted by CapnWildefyr View Post
    Technically, any character can fill the Waste of Space role, as long as it's run by the Guy Who Never Shows Up to Game.
    Slight distinction.

    That's a waste of space Player, not a waste of space Character. WoS Players bring moral for the group down, WoS Characters make the group feel better about themselves.

    Plus every once in a while the WoS Character will do something well or awesome and everyone knows they contributed getting that character to that point.
    Last edited by SpawnOfMorbo; 2020-02-27 at 10:33 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    1 Abjuration Wizard, Deep Gnome
    2 Divination Wizard, Deep Gnome
    3 Enchantment Wizard, Deep Gnome
    4 Evocation Wizard, Deep Gnome
    5 Illusion Wizard, Deep Gnome

    Cantrips: Fire Bolt (x5), Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Toll the Dead (x3), Frostbite(x2), Prestidigitation, Chill Touch, Minor Illusion (x5).

    1st Level: Mage Armor (x5), Magic Missile (x5), Find familiar for "help" action (x5), Shield (x5), Ray of Sickness (x5), Fog Cloud, Grease, Ice Knife, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Sleep (x2), Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Thunderwave (x2), Silent Image, Feather Fall, Color Spray, Charm Person, Unseen Servant.

    2nd Level: Levitate, Misty Step (x5), Invisiblitiy, Suggestion (x5), Mirror Image (x5), Detect Thoughts, Web, Flaming Sphere

    Slots: 20 1st and 10 2nd

    Not to mention if you've got the money you can just have each Wizard take different spells and then scribe from the other four. Ultimate flexibility. You could use mending to get the money in some pretty creative ways.
    Last edited by DrowPiratRobrts; 2020-02-27 at 11:56 AM.
    ~Toggle Yer Crouch~

    Kobold Finesse Barbarian Guide A fun, very viable build for a Barbarian.

    Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    ...I've seen a fair amount of granola tree huggers play druids.
    And warlocks & rogues are a magnet for borderline sociopaths.
    Spoiler: Old Quotes I Can't Yet Abandon
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    ...But I concur you got to bump that con up to around 14 or be prepared to enjoy Proficiency in death Saving throws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Worst-case scenario, it gets ignored and pushed back to page 2, AKA The Phantom Zone, never to be seen again.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2018

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    Quote Originally Posted by DrowPiratRobrts View Post
    1 Abjuration Wizard, Deep Gnome
    2 Divination Wizard, Deep Gnome
    3 Enchantment Wizard, Deep Gnome
    4 Evocation Wizard, Deep Gnome
    5 Illusion Wizard, Deep Gnome

    Cantrips: Fire Bolt (x5), Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Toll the Dead (x3), Frostbite(x2), Prestidigitation, Chill Touch, Minor Illusion (x5).

    1st Level: Mage Armor (x5), Magic Missile (x5), Find familiar for "help" action (x5), Shield (x5), Ray of Sickness (x5), Fog Cloud, Grease, Ice Knife, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Sleep (x2), Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Thunderwave (x2), Silent Image, Feather Fall, Color Spray, Charm Person, Unseen Servant.

    2nd Level: Levitate, Misty Step (x5), Invisiblitiy, Suggestion (x5), Mirror Image (x5), Detect Thoughts, Web, Flaming Sphere

    Slots: 20 1st and 10 2nd

    Not to mention if you've got the money you can just have each Wizard take different spells and then scribe from the other four. Ultimate flexibility. You could use mending to get the money in some pretty creative ways.
    I want to do this so badly, but I can't get anyone in my group to play a Wizard, let alone all of us haha.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    1) College of Valor Bard
    2) College of Swords Bard
    3) College of Glamour Bard
    4) College of Lore Bard
    5) College of Whispers Bard

    Session 1, abandon the plot, form a band, and go on a world tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

    I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Galithar View Post
    I want to do this so badly, but I can't get anyone in my group to play a Wizard, let alone all of us haha.

    It would be the absolute most fun! Strongest party by far. You can do anything.
    ~Toggle Yer Crouch~

    Kobold Finesse Barbarian Guide A fun, very viable build for a Barbarian.

    Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    ...I've seen a fair amount of granola tree huggers play druids.
    And warlocks & rogues are a magnet for borderline sociopaths.
    Spoiler: Old Quotes I Can't Yet Abandon
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    ...But I concur you got to bump that con up to around 14 or be prepared to enjoy Proficiency in death Saving throws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Worst-case scenario, it gets ignored and pushed back to page 2, AKA The Phantom Zone, never to be seen again.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    I think a party of all Bards would be superior to a party of all Wizards but that's just me. I do think a party of all Clerics would be really good too though.



    For my ultimate 5 character party,

    1. Lore Bard
    2. Tempest Cleric
    3. Ancients Paladin
    4. Moon Druid
    5. Divination Wizard


    That pretty much covers everything. I think the first 4 characters make up the best possible 4 man team. You could swap the 5th character out with almost anything. I considered any Rogue, any Barbarian, or Divine Soul Sorcerer, but decided on Divination Wizard for obvious reasons.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    1) College of Valor Bard
    2) College of Swords Bard
    3) College of Glamour Bard
    4) College of Lore Bard
    5) College of Whispers Bard

    Session 1, abandon the plot, form a band, and go on a world tour.
    Session 2, PCs all attempt to seduce the same first fan to show up to a show. Band breaks up, PCs attempt to kill each other.



    As for me.
    All Druids:
    1. Spore Druid, melee specialist
    2. Moon Druid , Wildshape Specialist
    3. Land Druid, Jack of all Trades
    4. Shepard Druid, because they are awesome.
    5. Dreams Druid, to heal better than the rest.

    You've got everything you need, any encounter you can't kill with summons you can just bypass with wildshape.

    P.S. I would never want to play in this game or DM for it. Combat would drag so badly it would be awful!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    West coast

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    1. Dwarf Cleric Life.
    Armored w/weapon the cleric can use the strongest heals and add defense and melee possible to guard flanks and the back row
    2. 1/2 elf Paladin ancient
    Armored warrior who is a secondary healer with limited heals and cure diseases with aura for party saves and spell resistance. His smite can add a damage boost.
    3. Human or 1/2 orc Fighter battle master the tank with special maneuvers depends on feat early or not.
    4. Halfling rogue thief. Traps, stealth, backstabs from range or melee. Traps can be deadly if no one can find it
    5. Gnome wizard divination. Great saves, battlefield control with divination dice for sir isl moments.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Galithar View Post
    I want to do this so badly, but I can't get anyone in my group to play a Wizard, let alone all of us haha.
    I've tried that before...we did that for Storm King's Thunder. Half the party died in session 1. The other half died 5 sessions later. I died session 6, twice in a row...Got crit by a Hill Giant, made a level 1 Cleric, got crit to death by an ogre.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    I see why there's a ongoing meme about groups not meeting consistently! Bahamut dang it! How can you keep a party together with no Meet Shield? The answer is, without a Meet Shield, you can't properly protect the Reroll Glass Cannon wizard. Without a Heal Bot the party just can't stay healthy, you need that robot my dudes! Even the skill monkey isn't present in y'all's partys... Who else will get into all the monkey business, if not for the monkey?

    If you don't have a Waste of Space then you might as well just let the rocks fall. I mean, you might be able to fight boblin the goblin, to a stand still, but good ol boblin gonna go all tonberry on y'all characters.
    Last edited by SpawnOfMorbo; 2020-02-28 at 10:52 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    West coast

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    1. My dwarf life cleric defense is heavy armor and shield for AC, poison resist and advantage and party healing. damage with weapon and spirit guardian.
    2. My wizard divination will have battlefield control and portent for 2 at will die rolls to make someone hit or miss or save or fail.
    3. The Paladin can go tank heavy armor wlshield and protection or defense style or damage great weapon and face of the party. Lay hands becomes a secondary healer. Add a portent crit or on own and boom damage.
    4. Rogue with crossbow expert can shoot upclose or range with backstab damage. The skill monkey and trap finder.

    The above have skills covered, 2/4 armored, damage output, control, healing and trap protection

    5. Add a 1/2 orc fighter or dwarf mountain or human fighter champion great weapon. Defense is heavy armor and damage potential large.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    Best party: 5 bards, take contingency from magical secret, use it with mass cure wounds. Every day, they cast contingency and mass cure wounds. Now, whenever one of them goes down, he immediately gets back up, and every other member of the party gets more healthy.

    Edit: Darn, ludic got me there.
    Last edited by Lupine; 2020-02-29 at 07:47 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
    Best party: 5 bards, take contingency from magical secret, use it with mass cure wounds. Every day, they cast contingency and mass cure wounds. Now, whenever one of them goes down, he immediately gets back up, and every other member of the party gets more healthy.
    From the text of Contingency:
    "The contingent spell takes effect only on you, even if it can normally target others."

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    Wolf totem barbarian
    Redemption paladin
    Order cleric
    Mastermind rogue
    Cavalier fighter

    A party built on mutual support. Lots of melee to be boosted by the wolf totem. Redemption paladin buffs the party with aura and HP shield. Order cleric gives extra attacks to the party as it buffs them. Mastermind rogue specialises in being buffed by the cleric but can also hand out a load of advantage. Cavalier completes the rock solid front line of mutual support - use of extra feats for shield master for extra advantage.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Whit View Post
    1. My dwarf life cleric defense is heavy armor and shield for AC, poison resist and advantage and party healing. damage with weapon and spirit guardian.
    2. My wizard divination will have battlefield control and portent for 2 at will die rolls to make someone hit or miss or save or fail.
    3. The Paladin can go tank heavy armor wlshield and protection or defense style or damage great weapon and face of the party. Lay hands becomes a secondary healer. Add a portent crit or on own and boom damage.
    4. Rogue with crossbow expert can shoot upclose or range with backstab damage. The skill monkey and trap finder.

    The above have skills covered, 2/4 armored, damage output, control, healing and trap protection

    5. Add a 1/2 orc fighter or dwarf mountain or human fighter champion great weapon. Defense is heavy armor and damage potential large.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    Wolf totem barbarian
    Redemption paladin
    Order cleric
    Mastermind rogue
    Cavalier fighter

    A party built on mutual support. Lots of melee to be boosted by the wolf totem. Redemption paladin buffs the party with aura and HP shield. Order cleric gives extra attacks to the party as it buffs them. Mastermind rogue specialises in being buffed by the cleric but can also hand out a load of advantage. Cavalier completes the rock solid front line of mutual support - use of extra feats for shield master for extra advantage.
    Tsk, tsk, tsk... Falling into the same put traps as many before you.

    With no Meet Shield, Heal Bot, Skill Monkey, Glass Cannon, or Waste of Space... Totally and utterly destined for failure.

    I'm sorry. I'm so, so, sorry.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    Quote Originally Posted by SpawnOfMorbo View Post
    Tsk, tsk, tsk... Falling into the same put traps as many before you.

    With no Meet Shield, Heal Bot, Skill Monkey, Glass Cannon, or Waste of Space... Totally and utterly destined for failure.

    I'm sorry. I'm so, so, sorry.
    You forgot the blue text for sarcasm. =P

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Greatest 5 Member Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Addaran View Post
    You forgot the blue text for sarcasm. =P
    If a Meet Shield with shield master (having someone meet your shield), a heal bot (robot that heals you), and a skill monkey that is a animal hybrid race of monkey doesn't do it, nothing is gonna help.

    I'm kinda proud of the Meet Shield pun, to be honest. Yeah, the Heal Bot and Skill Monkey being pretty literal is nice... But something about Meet Shield bring a a smile to my face.

    The glass cannon reroll wizard with less than 20 HP is actually fun to play, very scary anytime you get hit.

    I actually do stand by what I said about the waste of space, they're actually more useful than what people realize.

    Edit: To be fair, all 5 of my choices are based around fun, thus still a pretty great choice. As long as you make a party for fun, you got the best party. The specifics really don't matter. DMs are meant to challenge players, not specifically beat them.
    Last edited by SpawnOfMorbo; 2020-03-01 at 10:12 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •