Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Background Suggestions

    What would be a good background choice for a PC who was a pony express rider?

    What about for a sheep shepard? Or a rancher?

    The closest thing I can find is folk hero (maybe city watch for the shepard). Which I guess could work, but I was hoping to find something closer.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Background Suggestions

    Caravan Specialist from Elemental Evil seem pretty close.


    The thing is you don't need a background from a book. 5e specifically allows you to create your own backgrounds.

    Pony Express Rider:
    Skills: Animal Handling, Survival
    Languages: One of your choice
    Profs: Vehicles (land)
    Equipment: Satchel for carrying mail, a saddle, traveler's clothing, and a small pouch containing 10 GP.


    Add in your own bond, ideal, and flaw that make sense for the character, and you are good to go.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: Background Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Caravan Specialist from Elemental Evil seem pretty close.
    Thanks. I'll check it out.


    Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    The thing is you don't need a background from a book. 5e specifically allows you to create your own backgrounds.

    Pony Express Rider:
    Skills: Animal Handling, Survival
    Languages: One of your choice
    Profs: Vehicles (land)
    Equipment: Satchel for carrying mail, a saddle, traveler's clothing, and a small pouch containing 10 GP.


    Add in your own bond, ideal, and flaw that make sense for the character, and you are good to go.
    True. But I'm trying to run as close to book as possible. Our group tends to stick with AL rules by default. Homebrewing or tweaking tends to be frowned upon. So I'd rather limit the number of adjustments I request.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Iowa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Background Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    True. But I'm trying to run as close to book as possible. Our group tends to stick with AL rules by default. Homebrewing or tweaking tends to be frowned upon. So I'd rather limit the number of adjustments I request.
    Creating a background is RAW.
    Last edited by bored_acel; 2020-02-27 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added link to DDB

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Background Suggestions

    Like the others said, creating a background is RAW. The only thing no clearly defined is if you try to create your own feature. Then you obviously need DM input.
    If you pick one of the existing feature and stick to the guideline ( 2 skills, etc) you shouldn't need the DM's permission anymore then if you decide to pick Folk Hero or choose Champion Fighter for class.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: Background Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Addaran View Post
    Like the others said, creating a background is RAW. The only thing no clearly defined is if you try to create your own feature. Then you obviously need DM input.
    Fair enough. Thanks everyone.

    Do you guys have ideas for features that I can use for those backgrounds?
    Last edited by xroads; 2020-02-27 at 03:17 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Frozen North
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Background Suggestions

    There are a couple articles on Tribality.com with ideas for using different backgrounds for each class. They have only done acolyte, charlatan, and criminal so far, but they are worth a quick read if you need some ideas.
    Skill monkeys, away!

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Background Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    Fair enough. Thanks everyone.

    Do you guys have ideas for features that I can use for those backgrounds?
    I would steal the Folk Hero one. It's pretty fitting for a Pony Express rider

    Feature: Rustic Hospitality
    Since you come from the ranks of the common folk, you fit in among them with ease. You can find a place to hide, rest, or recuperate among other commoners, unless you have shown yourself to be a danger to them. They will shield you from the law or anyone else searching for you, though they will not risk their lives for you.


    Outlander would also be pretty decent
    Feature: Wanderer
    You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: Background Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    I would steal the Folk Hero one. It's pretty fitting for a Pony Express rider

    Feature: Rustic Hospitality
    Since you come from the ranks of the common folk, you fit in among them with ease. You can find a place to hide, rest, or recuperate among other commoners, unless you have shown yourself to be a danger to them. They will shield you from the law or anyone else searching for you, though they will not risk their lives for you.


    Outlander would also be pretty decent
    Feature: Wanderer
    You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.
    Thanks! Rustic Hospitality sounds especially appropriate for the Pony Express rider (which is ironic since Folk Hero is a background which doesn't fit with this setting). So I can probably get some version of that approved.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Background Suggestions

    nickl_2000 found the two best ones.

    The other that might work well is the guild artisan one: Guild Membership. If the Pony Express Riders are commun and organized in the setting. Pay for food and lodging, even pay for your funeral. Helps be in contact with other Pony Express Riders as well as finding more contracts or hirelings. Can even have some political influence in some cases. It does cost 5 gp per month though.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •