Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Does anybody remember this from a Canon or Legends Star Wars source?

Does anybody remember from Legends or Canon in a situation where a character downright stated or implied that something couldnít be done scientifically? Here is a list of stuff Iíve gathered.

1.) Cybernetic liver- In Lost Stars, it was said Cienaís liver could not be replaced as it was one of the few organs that couldnít have a substitute. [Canon]

2.) Pill or injection to replace the need for water- This was mentioned in Tatooine Ghost by Han Solo [Legends]

3.) Wormholes- Said in the Han Solo comic that scientists couldnít figure it out [Canon]

4.) Telescopes that can see people (beings) on exoplanets- This was mentioned by Prince Isolder in Tyrants Test [Legends]

5.) Matter transporter- Finn mentioned this didnít exist when they need to escape in the Force Awakens novelization. [Canon]

6.) The Infinite Empire- Motti referred to it as (believe it or not) Science fiction [Legends]

7. Food assembler- This is from MedStar as part of a future fic holodrama about a device that could assemble a meal from basic ingredients. Really weird since they have Food synthesizers [Legends]

Time travel is possible- just rare.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Does anybody remember this from a Canon or Legends Star Wars source?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum77 View Post
    Does anybody remember from Legends or Canon in a situation where a character downright stated or implied that something couldnít be done scientifically?
    Sure! Here's a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    The entire starfleet couldn't destroy the whole planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wedge Antilles
    That [shot]'s impossible, even for a computer.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-02-26 at 05:42 PM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Your bread looks like a rotary phone.
    This right here, is some prime quality culinary critique.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Does anybody remember this from a Canon or Legends Star Wars source?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum77 View Post
    Does anybody remember from Legends or Canon in a situation where a character downright stated or implied that something couldnít be done scientifically? Here is a list of stuff Iíve gathered.

1.) Cybernetic liver- In Lost Stars, it was said Cienaís liver could not be replaced as it was one of the few organs that couldnít have a substitute. [Canon]
    This is my new favorite Star Wars trivia.

4.) Telescopes that can see people (beings) on exoplanets- This was mentioned by Prince Isolder in Tyrants Test [Legends]
    This could just be an acknowledgement of real-world physics and the lack of any in-setting science or Force-voodoo to circumvent those physical limits.

7. Food assembler- This is from MedStar as part of a future fic holodrama about a device that could assemble a meal from basic ingredients. Really weird since they have Food synthesizers [Legends]
    Did they define "food assembler?" Based on how complex droids can be, I am assuming that a cooking droid doesn't count since that would be trivial to make. I would guess that a "food assembler" might be something like a replicator, only instead of turning energy into an arbitrary object, it would take basic matter and manufacture arbitrarily complex meals on the spot.

I don't know the explicit limits of a food synthesizer, but I always got the impression that it basically mashed sugar, carbs, proteins, etc. together a GoodRx bar worth of species-specific basic nutrition and seasoned it to not taste horrible. I guess the holy grail of space food in Star Wars would be a device that could take those sake basic components and create a nerf steak, or a replica of some fruit, given enough information.