New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: These Hands

1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default These Hands

Are monk unarmed attacks considered finesse weapons for the purposes of sneak attack? They function as such... dex to attack and damage, if you choose... but they don't explicitly get labeled as such.

Also, what is a "monk weapon"? The monk description leaves it a bit vague. Could an elven monk declare Longswords a monk weapon? A dwarven monk use battleaxes as a monk weapon?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: These Hands

No-but houseruling SA to work with Monk weapons is fine, in my opinion.

All simple weapons and short swords are Monk weapons.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

mad Re: These Hands

Marital Arts is rather explicit.
    Your practice of martial arts gives you mastery of combat styles that use unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don't have the two-handed or heavy property.
    Fists are not finesse, but do count as monk weapons.
    Now, you could sneak attack with a dagger or short sword as they are both finesse weapons that can be monk weapons.
    Last edited by bored_acel; 2020-02-26 at 08:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by bored_acel View Post

Now, you could sneak attack with a dagger or short sword as they are both finesse weapons that can be monk weapons.
    Ah, missed that clause.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Indeed, it can get pretty graphic between spouses.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Indeed, it can get pretty graphic between spouses.
    Some, I'd even suspect many, don't wait until marriage.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Technically, they don't. Martial Arts mentions unarmed strikes separately from monk weapons.... after all, unarmed strike, by definition, does not involve a weapon.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Yep as people said monk fist aren't per se eligible for sneek attack. But since the MO k has access to weapon that can sneak attack, I would mind as a gm authorizing it, I would juste describe it as striking clusters of nerves and vital points.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

It’s also worth noting that the big Class Features UA from last November offers an alternate way of determining Monk Weapons, where you can choose 5 + WIS mod weapons from those you're proficient in that lack the Heavy, Two-Handed, or Special properties. This means if you use this rule a wood elf monk can have a longsword as a monk weapon, for instance.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

d6 Re: These Hands

Quote Originally Posted by P. G. Macer View Post
    It’s also worth noting that the big Class Features UA from last November offers an alternate way of determining Monk Weapons, where you can choose 5 + WIS mod weapons from those you're proficient in that lack the Heavy, Two-Handed, or Special properties. This means if you use this rule a wood elf monk can have a longsword as a monk weapon, for instance.
    I'm not sure how I feel about that. It'd give Whip monk weapon status, which would be awkward in later levels... or any d8 Martial Weapon in earlier levels. I much prefer limiting Monk to d6 for monk weapons, otherwise you'll see a level 2 Monk with 16 DEX pull
    Main-Attack Off-Hand Flurry of Blows
    1d8+3 1d4+3 2d4+6
    We're looking at 11 Damage normally at level 2, about 20 with a Ki; so it's not broken, but certainly an advantage I just have a bad feeling about.

edit:I found the bad feeling- hand crossbows could count under those rules too. So could slings, darts, and javelins. Not as big of an issue for lower levels, but the though of letting someone deal 2d6+DEX from range, and if they get into trouble spend a Ki for Dodge/Disengage could be a nightmare to challenge.
    Last edited by bored_acel; 2020-02-26 at 10:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I was really hoping this was a thread about using your Unarmed Strikes as thrown weapons with the Returning property so you could literally catch these hands

12. - Top - End - #12

HalflingWizardGirl

I'm not sure how I feel about that. It'd give Whip monk weapon status, which would be awkward in later levels... or any d8 Martial Weapon in earlier levels. I much prefer limiting Monk to d6 for monk weapons, otherwise you'll see a level 2 Monk with 16 DEX pull
    1d8+3 1d4+3 2d4+6
    We're looking at 11 Damage normally at level 2, about 20 with a Ki; so it's not broken, but certainly an advantage I just have a bad feeling about.

edit:I found the bad feeling- hand crossbows could count under those rules too. So could slings, darts, and javelins. Not as big of an issue for lower levels, but the though of letting someone deal 2d6+DEX from range, and if they get into trouble spend a Ki for Dodge/Disengage could be a nightmare to challenge.
    Flurry of Blows and the BA Martial Arts attack both require a bonus action; you can’t do both of them.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

1d8+3 1d4+3 2d4+6

Spear or quarterstaff already does 1d8 (when used by both hands) by default, and javelins, daggers and handaxes already count as monk weapons. The variant gives you 1d10 with longsword, battleaxe or warhammer, or reach with a whip. Hand crossbow and sling has the same range as javelins, and sling works better once you get Extra Attack (Hand Crossbow has loading, which means the monk would need Crossbow Expert). And the monk would need to get proficiency from somewhere first, so the biggest advantage is that dwarven and elven monks can use their racial weapons.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I was really hoping this was a thread about using your Unarmed Strikes as thrown weapons with the Returning property so you could literally catch these hands
    Only if you're a Warforged!

Spoiler: ROCKET PUNCH!
    Show

More ad res, I think of this in conjunction with KOTOR and melee combat, especially with Jedi... how into the various lightsaber strikes, they'd work in a kick every now and again.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2020-02-27 at 01:33 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by P. G. Macer View Post
    Hmmm, that is a pretty neat rule, though I'd wonder how well it works with Kensei. Their entire deal is being able to choose non-monk weapons and use them as weapons, which this class feature messes with because you can just snag whichever weapons you want. That said, the fix for this is relatively easy. Just allow Kensei Monks to choose Heavy and Two-Handed weapons for their Kensei Weapons.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

1d8+3 1d4+3 2d4+6

I mean, you can already do that with the Kensei Monk...it doesn't really break that much. Whip reach is nice, but since all of the Monk's bonus action attacks use their unarmed strike, they'd need to be within 5 feet of a target.
    Last edited by sithlordnergal; 2020-02-27 at 10:14 PM.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
    I mean, you can already do that with the Kensei Monk...it doesn't really break that much. Whip reach is nice, but since all of the Monk's bonus action attacks use their unarmed strike, they'd need to be within 5 feet of a target.
    Devil's Advocate: Use Stunning Strike from 10 ft away; if it fails, you can still move to safety at no cost.

(Granted, Mobile would let you flee for free, but Monks are MAD enough to make that a serious opportunity cost.)