New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Mafia Capital (WWC XIII): Important Info Here -- READ OPENING POSTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Hello everyone! I am not sure how much you all remember me, but for a few months there I was fairly active on the Werewolf scene on this site. I doubt I will have enough time to dedicate to a Werewolf game like I used to, but I am curious as to what direction things here went. Did things become any more active since that September in 2019 when I left? How are things going in here nowadays?
    If you have time to participate with mild dedication to a game, and want to try a cult one with the new crew, my game could use an extra player.
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...e-Burning-Hate

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Mafia Capital (WWC XIII): Important Info Here -- READ OPENING POSTS!

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    That's correct, and we've got a buncha new players out of it. idk what role covid has played in things but probably did something.
    Perhaps I was giving the people over in the play-by-post forums a little too much flak. Following through on a D&D PbP Campaign is a different beast altogether than playing in a game of Werewolf for a few days. Glad to see you were able to make some good fun with them.

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    If you have time to participate with mild dedication to a game, and want to try a cult one with the new crew, my game could use an extra player.
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...e-Burning-Hate
    You know what, I think I will. Might as well during those few times when I have enough free time.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

FYI: I'm also recruiting new players for my on-going In Nomine game: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ram-re-recruit
    Pretty fun system and one of the most mechanically-sound I've ever played. (You can break it easily enough in some ways (e.g., not hard to make someone who can massacre hordes of normal people and most demons), but, well, it still seems to work.) If you'd like to give it to try, check out the link. It also has links to the IC and OOC threads, to see if the playstyle fits ya.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Pelor the Burning Hate ends with a Town victory.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2021-02-24 at 02:59 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

I've PM'd PoR again. If there's no response within 24 hours, I'll move 'em down the schedule.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

I’m willing to move Yu-Gi-Oh! Up the schedule if no one else is ready
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I’m willing to move Yu-Gi-Oh! Up the schedule if no one else is ready
    I received a PM response from PoR that they'd be getting their game up, but that was... *checks* 49 hours ago and they don't got no thread. I think I'll move them down the line and contact the next person on the schedule.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Upick is recruiting.

My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

General Question: it seems like participation has waned in the last half-dozen or so games. For anyone who has lost interest and happens to still be reading here (which I realize is likely a small set of people), would you be willing to share what about the games is causing a dropoff? That is, is there anything particular about the metagame here on the forum that is causing disinterest; or is it just real life being busy?

I know I'd be willing to shift the rules and mechanics of games I might run in the future to better appeal to a wider audience, at least in some ways. And I know the metagame has shifted a fair bit lately in use of QuickTopics or the lack thereof. (For the latter it is very interesting having seen it start from some QT conversation in the first few games after the Mafia thread revived, to an explosion with some people QTing everyone and it getting unwieldly, to now it generally being forbidden or limited by the mechanics.)
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2021-03-08 at 11:50 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

General Question: it seems like participation has waned in the last half-dozen or so games. For anyone who has lost interest and happens to still be reading here (which I realize is likely a small set of people), would you be willing to share what about the games is causing a dropoff? That is, is there anything particular about the metagame here on the forum that is causing disinterest; or is it just real life being busy?

I know I'd be willing to shift the rules and mechanics of games I might run in the future to better appeal to a wider audience, at least in some ways. And I know the metagame has shifted a fair bit lately in use of QuickTopics or the lack thereof. (For the latter it is very interesting having seen it start from some QT conversation in the first few games after the Mafia thread revived, to an explosion with some people QTing everyone and it getting unwieldly, to now it generally being forbidden or limited by the mechanics.)
    Real life isn't being busy for me; the reason I haven't played the last two(?) games is I feel bad about the amount of attention I pay them. I generally read through the thread every two days because of how much mental effort playing takes, and then spend quite a lot of time figuring out how to respond. I end up appearing pretty inactive and unhelpfui, no matter what team I'm on. My impression is that this creates a less engaging game.

The rules if the game are fine.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

11. - Top - End - #281
    Bugbear in the Playground

Real life has got me busy with the new year. I ran my game and struggled to keep up with it at the end and RL started to ramp up and it hasn't really slowed down enough for me to rejoin yet. I enjoyed the games I played in (though I rarely made it very far). Sorry it isn't helpful for how to get more people, but just letting you know I am still around, just not very active.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I'll throw a game idea out there for the sign-up.

Aliens Game (Pick Your Power)
    General note: Aliens are the "mafia", but lack a factional kill power. To compensate, they have stronger powers than normal. I gather the idea is that their power-supremacy should let them manipulate the town into mislynches enough to dominate.
    Gimmick: all-power or almost-all-power, mostly-open setup game. Possible powers for aliens will be known. Active powers for Town will be known; not sure yet if it'll be all powered or some vanilla town in there. The main gimmick is that the aliens pick their own powers by the end of D1. Two aliens cannot pick the same power. Depending on number of players, there might be a serial killer or survivor, or some other neutral; this will be known if it's the case.

Maybe I'll even have the Town start without powers, and they put their most-desired powers in their QuickTopic. By end of day, I let them know what their power is. But that seems a bit too complicated to be worth doing.

I'll probably lift the alien powers from one of Unavenger's Crazy Idea games. Meaning an alien could pick vigilante (have a NK) as their power.

Spoiler: likely Alien powers in play
    Show

Grabbed & modified from the latest Crazy Idea game.

Alien Vigilante: Once per night, you can choose one target and kill that target.

Alien Researcher: Once per night, you can choose one target. You learn that target's FACTION and ROLE.

Alien Psychotrooper: Once only, at night, you can use your ability. Whether or not your ability is active, you have this power: if you are investigated by a seer, you give TOWN if it detects alignment and INNOCENT CHILD if it detects role.
    If you activate your ability, ALL investigations are incorrect for all people targeted that night.

Alien Protector: Once per night, you can choose a player. You block everything targeting that player the same night (except you targeting them with this power). You cannot target yourself twice consecutively.

Alien Mindslaver: Once per night, you can choose a player. That player's ability is blocked this night. You may activate their ability by attempting to choose a new target for it. If you choose a valid target, you use their ability on that target. You send that player to visit their target, not yourself.
    If there is any feedback to the power, both you and your target get the feedback.

Alien Overseer: Once per night, you can choose a player. You learn who targeted that player, who that player targeted, and any powers used.

Alien Jack of All Trades: You may use the Protector, Mindslaver, Overseer, and Researcher powers once per game.

Alien Universal Backup: The first time ever that a member of your faction dies, you gain their powers. If another member dies, you can choose to assume their powers and lose your old powers, if you wish.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2021-03-23 at 10:20 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

I'll throw a game idea out there for the sign-up.

Aliens Game (Pick Your Power)
    General note: Aliens are the "mafia", but lack a factional kill power. To compensate, they have stronger powers than normal. I gather the idea is that their power-supremacy should let them manipulate the town into mislynches enough to dominate.
    Gimmick: all-power or almost-all-power, mostly-open setup game. Possible powers for aliens will be known. Active powers for Town will be known; not sure yet if it'll be all powered or some vanilla town in there. The main gimmick is that the aliens pick their own powers by the end of D1. Two aliens cannot pick the same power. Depending on number of players, there might be a serial killer or survivor, or some other neutral; this will be known if it's the case.

Maybe I'll even have the Town start without powers, and they put their most-desired powers in their QuickTopic. By end of day, I let them know what their power is. But that seems a bit too complicated to be worth doing.

I'll probably lift the alien powers from one of Unavenger's Crazy Idea games. Meaning an alien could pick vigilante (have a NK) as their power.

Spoiler: likely Alien powers in play
    Show

Grabbed & modified from the latest Crazy Idea game.

Alien Vigilante: Once per night, you can choose one target and kill that target.

Alien Researcher: Once per night, you can choose one target. You learn that target's FACTION and ROLE.

Alien Psychotrooper: Once only, at night, you can use your ability. Whether or not your ability is active, you have this power: if you are investigated by a seer, you give TOWN if it detects alignment and INNOCENT CHILD if it detects role.
    If you activate your ability, ALL investigations are incorrect for all people targeted that night.

Alien Protector: Once per night, you can choose a player. You block everything targeting that player the same night (except you targeting them with this power). You cannot target yourself twice consecutively.

Alien Mindslaver: Once per night, you can choose a player. That player's ability is blocked this night. You may activate their ability by attempting to choose a new target for it. If you choose a valid target, you use their ability on that target. You send that player to visit their target, not yourself.
    If there is any feedback to the power, both you and your target get the feedback.

Alien Overseer: Once per night, you can choose a player. You learn who targeted that player, who that player targeted, and any powers used.

Alien Jack of All Trades: You may use the Protector, Mindslaver, Overseer, and Researcher powers once per game.

Alien Universal Backup: The first time ever that a member of your faction dies, you gain their powers. If another member dies, you can choose to assume their powers and lose your old powers, if you wish.
    You need kill powers in the mix. Without kill powers in the mix, real townies (who will definitionally outnumber aliens) can vote to not lynch anybody until they have enough information that they're sure they're lynching an alien. Kill powers are what give the game urgency, and push analysis to happen. Without the pressure of "if you dont figure something out soon, you lose not just a member of your team but one of your only chances to influence the outcome of the game", the game will grind on forever, because townies risk nothing by taking the wait and see option...and townies are paranoid and overly-cautious enough as it is in these games.

My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

You need kill powers in the mix. Without kill powers in the mix, real townies (who will definitionally outnumber aliens) can vote to not lynch anybody until they have enough information that they're sure they're lynching an alien. Kill powers are what give the game urgency, and push analysis to happen. Without the pressure of "if you dont figure something out soon, you lose not just a member of your team but one of your only chances to influence the outcome of the game", the game will grind on forever, because townies risk nothing by taking the wait and see option...and townies are paranoid and overly-cautious enough as it is in these games.
    Thank you for that.
    I figured that the aliens would pick a vigilante, but you are correct. Even if I make a rule that "you can't vote No Lynch", then those who do vote (at least past D1) would be considered sus since there's no reason for the townies to not stall and investigate.
    Throwing a serial killer in the mix could help, but that's just one person to add urgency.
    It'd be fun if we had enough players to do an alien vs. mafia vs. town, but that doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

I guess Alien games on their own don't really work, but they work as a side faction in a multi-faction game.

Hopefully I'll have a good idea how to tweak the idea to make the game one that works and has the gimmick I'd enjoy.

Another gimmick idea
    Thinking of giving the Town something similar to the wolves, but something like (in the QT) giving them 2 powers to pick from, and they must choose by end-of-day.

Thinking the "lore" is that strange stones fell from the sky. Some are evil and possessed people, turning them into aliens. Others are good and granting powers to help fight the aliens.
    It will actually make sense fluff-wise that everyone knows everybody but has no clue who is good or bad or has what talents.

Spoiler: saving some draft notes
    Show

Strange stones fell from the heavens last night. As the villagers investigate them, each person hears a voice as they touch a stone.

To most, the stones echo warnings of strange creatures coming this night, to possess and destroy. These voices offer power to stop the strange tides.
    To a few, the stones overwhelm the villagers' minds. An alien conscousness gains control, devoted to dominating the town and using it as a staging ground to spread their influence.

Spoiler: Wolf (Alien) Gimmick
    Show

By end of Day 1, each alien must select a power. Two members cannot pick the same power. If an alien ghosts or doesn't pick a power, the Narrator will assign one randomly.
    Each night, the aliens choose one of them to perform the factional kill as the Killer. Except for the Alien Strongarm, being the Killer suppresses your other powers for that Night and the upcoming Day. If you are scried by the seer on a night you are the killer, you reveal as Alien Killer instead of your actual role. (This does mean that, when the Alien Psychotrooper is the Killer, they lose their passive ability that makes them detect as Town Innocent Child.)

Alien Strongarm: If you are the Killer, your kills cannot be stopped by banes. If you kill someone who was baned, a note will be posted "<Name> was killed, despite being protected"

If you activate your ability, ALL investigations are incorrect for all people targeted that night: town (or neutrals) show up as aliens with an active role (or Killer) selected randomly, and aliens show up as town with an active role (or vanilla) selected randomly.

If you block a seer on the night the psychotrooper uses their power, the seer is still impacted and gets incorrect results. (Don't know why an alien would protect a townie, but it could happen...)

In simple terms: you either choose someone's target or (if they don't have a valid target) you void them.

Alien Manipulator -- each Night, target a player; that player's vote does not count the upcoming Day. Each Day, target a player; that player's vote counts twice during that Day.

Spoiler: Town Gimmick
    Show

In each Town member's QuickTopic, they will get one of two messages.

You are Town. Your stone resonates with power, allowing you to choose one of the two powers.
    1)
    2)

You are Town. Your stone echos with sadness. Its power has faded with the journey to warn you. You are a vanilla town.

For each person choosing a power, they have until Day ends to pick. If they fail to pick, they become vanilla town and one of the powers is randomly given to another vanilla townie.

No two Town may end up with the same power, but there may be overlap. For example:
    Let's say Townie A gets offered Seer and Vigilante, and Townie B gets offered Seer and Watcher. Both want to be a Seer, but Townie A writes that first in the QuickTopic. Townie A is a Seer, told "You are now the Seer". When Townie B states they want to be the Seer, they get told "That power has seeped to another person" and they become their other Role.
    This does mean it is possible to know a Role is active as Town, when it is not your Role.

Spoiler: possible Town powers
    Show

Seer - each Night, target a player. You learn their alignment and role.

Beast - if you are killed by a kill power, you kill whoever killed you. If you are lynched, you randomly kill someone who voted for you. Either way, this counts as a targeted kill, so protective abilities can stop it.

Watcher - each Night, target a player. You learn who targeted them.

Tracker - each Night, target a player. You learn who they target.

Baner - each Night, target a player. That player is immune to kills that night. If you block a kill, neither you nor the person protected receive feedback. You cannot target yourself twice in a row, but may target others twice in a row.

Daybaner - each Night, target a player. That player is immune to death, via kill abilities or lynches, the following day.

Vigilante - each Night, you may target a player. That player dies.

Day-Vigilante - once per game, you can declare (in your QuickTopic) to kill someone. That player dies as soon as the Narrator reads your QT and can post the death publicly; the target's vote does not count. If the kill is somehow blocked, you receive private feedback that the kill was blocked, but no public note is made nor do you find out why the kill was blocked. If your kill is blocked, you can still reuse your power (even the same Day), but cannot use it on the same target the same Day.

Innocent Child - once per game, you can write "TOWN INNOCENT CHILD". If you do, the Narrator (as soon as able) will post to declare you are the Town Innocent Child. Also, as of your post, all votes on you are rendered null, although players may vote for you again after your power use.
    To other players: do not fakeclaim the use of this power. You can claim you are the Town Innocent Child, but no writing it in all caps (or nearly all caps), or similar words, to try to fake invoking its powers.

Manipulator - each Day, target a player. That player's vote is cancelled. Your vote counts twice. There is no explicit feedback that this occurred, but players can discern this by reading the vote totals.

Voider - each Night, target a player. That player's power, if any, does not function that night. If the target had an active power they activate, they learn they were voided. You do not receive feedback from this power.

Day-Voider - each Night, target a player. The next Day, that player's vote does not count, nor can that player activate abilities during the Day. (If they try to activate a 1/game ability, the ability is not 'used up'.)
    There is no explicit feedback about the vote manipulation, but players can discern this by reading the vote totals.

Survivalist -- the first time you would die, you don't die. No feedback is given about why you didn't die.

If someone should die to a lynch, but doesn't, the message "<Name> was lynched, but is still alive" is written. This is to prevent it being clear whether they are the Survivalist or were Day-baned.
    If an info-yielding ability is blocked, the feedback received is "NO INFORMATION"
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2021-03-24 at 09:58 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Thank you for that.
    I figured that the aliens would pick a vigilante, but you are correct. Even if I make a rule that "you can't vote No Lynch", then those who do vote (at least past D1) would be considered sus since there's no reason for the townies to not stall and investigate.
    Throwing a serial killer in the mix could help, but that's just one person to add urgency.
    It'd be fun if we had enough players to do an alien vs. mafia vs. town, but that doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

I guess Alien games on their own don't really work, but they work as a side faction in a multi-faction game.

Hopefully I'll have a good idea how to tweak the idea to make the game one that works and has the gimmick I'd enjoy.

Another gimmick idea
    Thinking of giving the Town something similar to the wolves, but something like (in the QT) giving them 2 powers to pick from, and they must choose by end-of-day.

Thinking the "lore" is that strange stones fell from the sky. Some are evil and possessed people, turning them into aliens. Others are good and granting powers to help fight the aliens.
    It will actually make sense fluff-wise that everyone knows everybody but has no clue who is good or bad or has what talents.

Spoiler: saving some draft notes
    Show

Strange stones fell from the heavens last night. As the villagers investigate them, each person hears a voice as they touch a stone.

To most, the stones echo warnings of strange creatures coming this night, to possess and destroy. These voices offer power to stop the strange tides.
    To a few, the stones overwhelm the villagers' minds. An alien conscousness gains control, devoted to dominating the town and using it as a staging ground to spread their influence.

Spoiler: Wolf (Alien) Gimmick
    Show

By end of Day 1, each alien must select a power. Two members cannot pick the same power. If an alien ghosts or doesn't pick a power, the Narrator will assign one randomly.
    Each night, the aliens choose one of them to perform the factional kill as the Killer. Except for the Alien Strongarm, being the Killer suppresses your other powers for that Night and the upcoming Day. If you are scried by the seer on a night you are the killer, you reveal as Alien Killer instead of your actual role. (This does mean that, when the Alien Psychotrooper is the Killer, they lose their passive ability that makes them detect as Town Innocent Child.)

Alien Strongarm: If you are the Killer, your kills cannot be stopped by banes. If you kill someone who was baned, a note will be posted "<Name> was killed, despite being protected"

If you activate your ability, ALL investigations are incorrect for all people targeted that night: town (or neutrals) show up as aliens with an active role (or Killer) selected randomly, and aliens show up as town with an active role (or vanilla) selected randomly.

If you block a seer on the night the psychotrooper uses their power, the seer is still impacted and gets incorrect results. (Don't know why an alien would protect a townie, but it could happen...)

In simple terms: you either choose someone's target or (if they don't have a valid target) you void them.

Alien Manipulator -- each Night, target a player; that player's vote does not count the upcoming Day. Each Day, target a player; that player's vote counts twice during that Day.

Spoiler: Town Gimmick
    Show

In each Town member's QuickTopic, they will get one of two messages.

You are Town. Your stone resonates with power, allowing you to choose one of the two powers.
    1)
    2)

You are Town. Your stone echos with sadness. Its power has faded with the journey to warn you. You are a vanilla town.

For each person choosing a power, they have until Day ends to pick. If they fail to pick, they become vanilla town and one of the powers is randomly given to another vanilla townie.

No two Town may end up with the same power, but there may be overlap. For example:
    Let's say Townie A gets offered Seer and Vigilante, and Townie B gets offered Seer and Watcher. Both want to be a Seer, but Townie A writes that first in the QuickTopic. Townie A is a Seer, told "You are now the Seer". When Townie B states they want to be the Seer, they get told "That power has seeped to another person" and they become their other Role.
    This does mean it is possible to know a Role is active as Town, when it is not your Role.

Spoiler: possible Town powers
    Show

Seer - each Night, target a player. You learn their alignment and role.

Beast - if you are killed by a kill power, you kill whoever killed you. If you are lynched, you randomly kill someone who voted for you. Either way, this counts as a targeted kill, so protective abilities can stop it.

Watcher - each Night, target a player. You learn who targeted them.

Tracker - each Night, target a player. You learn who they target.

Baner - each Night, target a player. That player is immune to kills that night. If you block a kill, neither you nor the person protected receive feedback. You cannot target yourself twice in a row, but may target others twice in a row.

Daybaner - each Night, target a player. That player is immune to death, via kill abilities or lynches, the following day.

Vigilante - each Night, you may target a player. That player dies.

Day-Vigilante - once per game, you can declare (in your QuickTopic) to kill someone. That player dies as soon as the Narrator reads your QT and can post the death publicly; the target's vote does not count. If the kill is somehow blocked, you receive private feedback that the kill was blocked, but no public note is made nor do you find out why the kill was blocked. If your kill is blocked, you can still reuse your power (even the same Day), but cannot use it on the same target the same Day.

Innocent Child - once per game, you can write "TOWN INNOCENT CHILD". If you do, the Narrator (as soon as able) will post to declare you are the Town Innocent Child. Also, as of your post, all votes on you are rendered null, although players may vote for you again after your power use.
    To other players: do not fakeclaim the use of this power. You can claim you are the Town Innocent Child, but no writing it in all caps (or nearly all caps), or similar words, to try to fake invoking its powers.

Manipulator - each Day, target a player. That player's vote is cancelled. Your vote counts twice. There is no explicit feedback that this occurred, but players can discern this by reading the vote totals.

Voider - each Night, target a player. That player's power, if any, does not function that night. If the target had an active power they activate, they learn they were voided. You do not receive feedback from this power.

Day-Voider - each Night, target a player. The next Day, that player's vote does not count, nor can that player activate abilities during the Day. (If they try to activate a 1/game ability, the ability is not 'used up'.)
    There is no explicit feedback about the vote manipulation, but players can discern this by reading the vote totals.

Survivalist -- the first time you would die, you don't die. No feedback is given about why you didn't die.

If someone should die to a lynch, but doesn't, the message "<Name> was lynched, but is still alive" is written. This is to prevent it being clear whether they are the Survivalist or were Day-baned.
    If an info-yielding ability is blocked, the feedback received is "NO INFORMATION"
    The idea around this with power selection (especially for the wolves/aliens) can work.

But the problem I believe with the town implementation is that you are either going to get a lot of clears (if most of the town are given a role choice) or just an illusion of choice.

As like, there's a pretty strict hierarchy for what town will pick -- seers first, watchers/vigs next, then baner/tracker/voider/beast, then the others. If the choice is close (say, between a watcher and a vig) and there's only one role selecting from those, then maybe it leads to an interesting WIFOM game with the wolves sure.

The problem then with clears is that if there are many town PRS, any town PR who tries to pick something (say, a tracker) but ends up with the other option it can confirm a town tracker exists. Then the tracker can claim and be confirmed. Wolves have very limited space to cc or operate within the claims.

There's probably potential for a more PR-light game, like 5 VTs and 3-4 PRs who don't overlap much and so can't confirm each other, but it would still be a bit of a challenge to make the choices real as I see it.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Upick has ended in Serial Killer victory.

@Apogee1 will you be able to get Stranger Things game recruiting within a day or two?

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Upick has ended in Serial Killer victory.

@Apogee1 will you be able to get Stranger Things game recruiting within a day or two?
    Should be able to!

I'll get a thread up by Sunday evening hopefully so we can plan for an April 12th start of game.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Question: how would y'all feel about a game where nobody (even the wolves) knows who the wolves are at the game-start?
    I'm foreseeing a level of initial confusion akin to AV's scullways/pirate game, but with folk at least knowing ahead of time something funky is coming.

This is based on two games where I started to wonder if I was the wolf, since for 2-3 nights in a row (as town) the person I targeted happened to die. One was that Cruise game where there was a madman, and I was starting to really wonder if I was since EVERY TIME I targeted someone they died. (The other was AV's pirate game, though I was pretty sure i wasn't a wolf, and then it became clear there was a cult instead.)

---

I'll probably still do something like the Pick Your Power game idea instead, but wanted to get opinions.
    Also, Apogee, thanks for the feedback. I think I'll shift it to offering similar-ranked powers to each townie, so (for example) if someone can pick Watcher or Tracker, they know they are the only one offered those powers and thus that the other Role isn't in the game. That gives the goal of giving a townie some limited info about what roles are active, while not allowing easy clears.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Stranger Things Mafia is Recruiting!

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...r-Things-Mafia

-------

And JeenLeen, yeah! I think that system can work well and leads to some interesting WIFOM challenges with town and scum role selection.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Schedule has been updated.

My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Question: how would y'all feel about a game where nobody (even the wolves) knows who the wolves are at the game-start?
    I'm foreseeing a level of initial confusion akin to AV's scullways/pirate game, but with folk at least knowing ahead of time something funky is coming.
    This definitely makes me think April fools' Game. We've had April fools games where everyone was lied to about their role day 1, so this wouldn't be that far of a stretch.

As for a regular game, you'd need some way for the wolves to connect to balance their lack of knowledge.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Was that on April Fools?
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

It was Penguinator's carnival game I was thinking of. I think it was April fools but I may be misremembering.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

So mine's next, huh?

Alright I'm ready
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey guys. Sorry I fell off the world for a while. I see a game recently started, but I'll try to slide into the next one. I've missed this.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Hey gac! My game's next!
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey gac! My game's next!
    Can't wait!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Hey gac! My game's next!
    Time to duel!
    I was thinking of staying out of the next one, but not gonna miss a theme I was actively engaged with for several years. (Oh, Envoy of the Beginning and Don Zaloog, how I loved you in my Chaos/Warrior Toolbox deck.)

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 8)

Ahoy there! :)

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 8 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 320+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Lissa as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 150 communities this season. If there is further interest, additional communities may sign up as substitutes; generally there are some replacements needed both before and during games.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is May 7th, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
    • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
    • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
    • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500-600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

2. SEASON 8 FORMAT

The tournament structure
    • 150 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
    • QUALIFIERS: 10 Qualifier Games will be played, consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifier Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st and 2nd place will advance to the Semifinal Games.
    • SEMIFINALS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 7 will select 25 additional players to advance to the three Semifinal Games. From each game, five players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
    • THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 8 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.

This year’s setup: Gold Rush 15er
    The setup features 15 roles consisting of the following:

2x Mafia Goons
    1x Mafia Roleblocker

1x Town Motion Detector
    1x 1-Shot Town Vigilante (n2+)
    1x Town Doctor
    9x Vanilla Townie

Flips are alignment only.

Relevant mechanics info
    - Day start.
    - Majority elimination is enabled Day 2+, but majority is not required at any point for the elimination.
    - Tied votes will result in a player being eliminated at random from among the tied players.
    - No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
    - Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize your representative into a game with deadlines that suit their preferences).
    - Thread is locked during Night Phases.
    - Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.
    - Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, roleblocked, etc. (In this setup, that means they display as an action to the Motion Detector action.)
    - Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction. The mafia faction kill is mandatory.
    - Mafia may communicate at any time.
    - Each individual player may make a maximum of 150 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 2 hours before day end).
    - The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals alignments automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

3. SEASON 8 TIMELINE

There will be 10 Qualifier Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates ranging from early May to early July. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

The Semifinal Games will be played in July/August, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

If you want to get in contact with the event organizer ASAP, you can find Lissa on Discord (Lissa#8083).

For yours truly, it's Spacecamp-Logic-Yako#4514

Kind regards,
    The Mafia Universe Staff
    Last edited by Logic; 2021-04-20 at 03:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Stranger Things has ended in town victory.

@Xihirli are you ready to run your "Yu-Gi-Oh!" game?

My Homebrew