New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Mafia Capital (WWC XIII): Important Info Here -- READ OPENING POSTS!

I’d like to be added to the schedule to run a d&d themed game

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: Mafia Capital (WWC XIII): Important Info Here -- READ OPENING POSTS!

Psst, Caerulea, you can start recruitment now...
    Regardless of whether Durzan is busy or not, I think my original spot that I gave to Caerulea was ahead of Durzan in the first place.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Any idea what we can do to help with the issue of Town inactivity? That is, of folk leaving the game?

I know real life happens, and in PbP especially it can have a lot of folk dropping off. But it seems both in the X-Men game and the Wizards game, an inactive Town was a major critical flaw and part of the wolf victory. I didn't mind personally, as I was a wolf in those games, but it does seem unfair and makes the game less like it should be. That is, there's too much an element of 'luck' in "who is going to ghost" impacting the game as opposed to the intel-gathering and paranoia that usually governs a game.

(As gac3 got confirmation from every poster, the forums being down wasn't the issue in the X-Men game.)

I guess there's not much to do, and this is a growing pain with getting new players in the Mafia culture in the GitP forums. Was there ghosting like this back when this subforum was really active?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PartyOfRouges View Post
    I’d like to be added to the schedule to run a d&d themed game
    Added to queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Psst, Caerulea, you can start recruitment now...
    Regardless of whether Durzan is busy or not, I think my original spot that I gave to Caerulea was ahead of Durzan in the first place.
    Caerulea's already been PM'd and replied in the affirmative, not to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Any idea what we can do to help with the issue of Town inactivity? That is, of folk leaving the game?

I know real life happens, and in PbP especially it can have a lot of folk dropping off. But it seems both in the X-Men game and the Wizards game, an inactive Town was a major critical flaw and part of the wolf victory. I didn't mind personally, as I was a wolf in those games, but it does seem unfair and makes the game less like it should be. That is, there's too much an element of 'luck' in "who is going to ghost" impacting the game as opposed to the intel-gathering and paranoia that usually governs a game.

(As gac3 got confirmation from every poster, the forums being down wasn't the issue in the X-Men game.)

I guess there's not much to do, and this is a growing pain with getting new players in the Mafia culture in the GitP forums. Was there ghosting like this back when this subforum was really active?
    Town activity, and a general lack of a player base, has been a problem about as long as I've been playing. Newer players tend to go inactive more than veterans, but the latters not unheard of either (Caerulea kinda ghosted X-Mafia near the end). Generally what can maybe be done to combat inactive/ghosting townies is to put a new player in the wolf team - this gives at least one new player a really important role in the game that'll keep them interested, but also means that the new player balance isn't just "all newbies are townies", which can sometimes (not always, but...sometimes) lead to problems.

It can be discouraging when a game doesn't go as planned, but it's just bad luck, nothing more. A couple games have gone a bit poorly while we're still getting into a groove - not every game is going to be fun, some are gonna be disappointing in some fashion, but we keep going and building the community up, eventually we'll be regularly having games where a couple inactive townies are painful but ultimately survivable.

So invite friends from elsewhere on the forum! Maybe pick up a banner for your signature to show off WW/Mafia to people. I recommend Wolf to you specifically, JeenLeen.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    Uhm, I think I want to be put in the waiting list too. Got an idea floating around my head... Hopefully by the time it's my turn I'll have played enough games to have a better idea (there's at least 4 games before me right? If Durzan reappears 5)
    So like- I'll be waiting in one of the farthest corners of the waiting room. Possibly the darkest one.
    Pssst, you forgot me. Though, I'll admit this didn't look like a real "I want in". I'll go for a fantasy feel- general fantasy, I think. Whatever that means.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-03-10 at 01:36 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Pssst, you forgot me. Though, I'll admit this didn't look like a real "I want in". I'll go for a fantasy feel- general fantasy, I think. Whatever that means.
    Ah, apologies! Adding now...

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Go ahead and put me on the list too. I really should stop talking about running a game someday and actually do it.

As for activity, yeah it's been kinda a problem here pretty much as long as I've been here. Having some potential AL replacements lined up can help somewhat, but is naturally a lesser of two evils sort of solution. Only real fix is managing to build a big enough playerbase of people who won't flake. And that's obviously easier said than done.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
    Go ahead and put me on the list too. I really should stop talking about running a game someday and actually do it.

As for activity, yeah it's been kinda a problem here pretty much as long as I've been here. Having some potential AL replacements lined up can help somewhat, but is naturally a lesser of two evils sort of solution. Only real fix is managing to build a big enough playerbase of people who won't flake. And that's obviously easier said than done.
    Scheduled.

My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Just realized that effectively, "general fantasy setting" and "D&D" aren't much different- in order to make them less similar (in case someone is bothered by that) I'd like if it could be switched to "general urban fantasy setting". Can still do the same things, I'll just switch a few names around.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Just realized that effectively, "general fantasy setting" and "D&D" aren't much different- in order to make them less similar (in case someone is bothered by that) I'd like if it could be switched to "general urban fantasy setting". Can still do the same things, I'll just switch a few names around.
    Unless somebody declares they're gonna make a series out of it, one game isn't enough to stake a claim to that WW/Mafia concept. Nothing wrong with running multiple fantasy games, unless you're worried people will just be less interested in the concept if it's been recently done, I guess?

My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

The part about people being less interested is exactly it- I don't think that anyone can claim"general fantasy setting", honestly.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Caerulea kinda ghosted X-Mafia near the end
    I'm really sorry about this. The forums being down kinda screwed with my schedule, and I got behind a few pages. Then I never had the time to look back and analyse what I missed, and then more and more stuff kept getting added on. I'll do better the next games that I participate in.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    I'm really sorry about this. The forums being down kinda screwed with my schedule, and I got behind a few pages. Then I never had the time to look back and analyse what I missed, and then more and more stuff kept getting added on. I'll do better the next games that I participate in.
    No worries, we've all been there. Was just one more bit of bad luck in a game that already had too many of those I think lol

My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #44

BlueWizardGirl

And Midwest Mafia is up and recruiting.
    Extended Signature.

she/her

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    And Midwest Mafia is up and recruiting.
    Schedule and my signature are updated with links.

My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 7)

Ahoy there! :)

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 7 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 320+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Lissa as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 150 communities this season. If there is further interest, additional communities may sign up as substitutes; generally there are some replacements needed both before and during games.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 27, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
    • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
    • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
    • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500-600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

2. SEASON 7 FORMAT

The tournament structure
    • 150 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
    • QUALIFIERS: 10 Qualifier Games will be played, consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifier Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st and 2nd place will advance to the Semifinal Games.
    • SEMIFINALS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 6 will select 25 additional players to advance to the three Semifinal Games. From each game, five players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
    • THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 7 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.

This year’s setup: JOAT^2
    The setup is called JOAT^2 and features 15 players.

The setup consists of the following:

3x Mafia Goon
    2x Town Jack Of All Trades (9x Doctor, 9x Motion Detector, 9x Tracker)
    10x Vanilla Townie

Note that the Jacks Of All Trades must use all three actions before repeating an action, i.e. they are rotating. This does not mean they must use the actions in the same order every time.

Relevant mechanics info
    - Day start.
    - Majority lynch is enabled Day 2+, but majority is not required at any point in order to lynch.
    - Tied votes will result in a player being lynched at random from among the tied players.
    - No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
    - Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize your representative into a game with deadlines that suit their preferences).
    - Thread is locked during Night Phases.
    - Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.
    - Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, roleblocked, etc. (In this setup, that means they display as an action to the Tracker and the Motion Detector actions.)
    - Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction. The mafia faction kill is mandatory.
    - Mafia may communicate at any time.
    - Each individual player may make a maximum of 150 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 2 hours before day end).
    - The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals roles automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

3. SEASON 7 TIMELINE

There will be 10 Qualifier Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates ranging from late April to mid-June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

The Semifinal Games will be played in July, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Spacecamp-Logic-Yako#4514).

Kind regards,
    Logic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

It would be awesome if someone did it who hasn't done it before this year!
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I would agree. I haven't been paying enough recently to have a good sense of who a good nominee would be. So I would be tempted to put forward Duck, AV and Xihirli's names, if for no other reason than that I have played with them in the past enough to consider them good representatives of gitp.

I do suspect it will come down to who is willing/able to keep up with the much higher expected posting rate.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

I've got the time but not the skill. I also have no idea who to nominate.

My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I've got the time but not the skill. I also have no idea who to nominate.
    Unless someone who's been playing more than I have recently is particularly high on one or two of the newer people who I don't know, I have to say I think you're higher on the list of skilled players here than you give yourself credit for.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
    Unless someone who's been playing more than I have recently is particularly high on one or two of the newer people who I don't know, I have to say I think you're higher on the list of skilled players here than you give yourself credit for.
    If nobody else speaks up with a burning passion for it, I'll put my name in I suppose.

My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Should we start recruiting for the next game soon? It seems like there's not many more Phases left in the current one, unless the Town just hits wolves from now on.

If nobody else speaks up with a burning passion for it, I'll put my name in I suppose.
    I'd be cool with AV being our nominee.

I find it interesting that their rules require a minimum posts per Day Phase. I get rules to prohibit non-activity, but requiring a minimum of posts seems to rule out certain play styles, but I guess it also precludes wolves from hiding in silence.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Should we start recruiting for the next game soon? It seems like there's not many more Phases left in the current one, unless the Town just hits wolves from now on.
    I... uh... I'll get to it... probably today... *awkward procrastination mumbles*
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be fine with poking Elenna to start recruitment today (especially if I'm correct, and town is gonna lose in two hours).

EDIT: Oh hey look, a poke target! Elenna
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2020-04-07 at 08:34 AM.

My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm down to send AV.

While I've played a lot here, I don't think I'm nearly good enough for this.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

I find it interesting that their rules require a minimum posts per Day Phase. I get rules to prohibit non-activity, but requiring a minimum of posts seems to rule out certain play styles, but I guess it also precludes wolves from hiding in silence.
    A minimum of 10 posts per phase might sound like a lot on GitP, but for perspective last Champs season the least active game had ~1700 posts and the most active had ~7500, with 17 players, compared to maybe 500 posts on average for a lot of larger games on GitP including signups.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

27. - Top - End - #57

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'd be happy to go. If AV's not too keen on it, then I'd love to... represent us, I guess?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    A minimum of 10 posts per phase might sound like a lot on GitP, but for perspective last Champs season the least active game had ~1700 posts and the most active had ~7500, with 17 players, compared to maybe 500 posts on average for a lot of larger games on GitP including signups.
    Sad to say, but that still fits just fine with my availability lol.

EDIT: Or Unavenger can go I suppose? idk it's not that I don't want to play exactly I just don't think I'd do well.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2020-04-07 at 12:02 PM.

My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Less about doing well, more about having fun. You've been around for a fair while at this point, you'd do a fine job of representing GitP. If you would enjoy it, I support you by all means.

EDIT: My point was more about posting under 10 posts in a phase being absolutely normal in GitP but probably being very buried/going way under in that environment.
    Last edited by Cuthalion; 2020-04-07 at 12:10 PM.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

30. - Top - End - #60

BlueWizardGirl

The next game should start recruiting, Midwest Mafia is done, with a mafia victory. I'd nominate AvatarVecna, I think you have the skill, but whoever wants to go is fine with me.
    Extended Signature.

she/her