New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mafia Capital (WWC XIII): Important Info Here -- READ OPENING POSTS!

Question: Should I wait for Unavenger's game to finish or should I go ahead and start recruitment?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mafia Capital (WWC XIII): Important Info Here -- READ OPENING POSTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    Question: Should I wait for Unavenger's game to finish or should I go ahead and start recruitment?
    Nah go ahead and get your thread up.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

A Crazy Idea has ended in a victory for the Werewolves.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Put me back on the end of the list to run an even Crazier Idea.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    Put me back on the end of the list to run an even Crazier Idea.
    Added to the list.

My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

I'm curious- those of you who have more experience with games completely devoid of power roles (meaning those that played more then one) what do you think of them? That game I was in ended up pretty one-sided (also because Town got into a pretty big argument between itself) and internet seems to confirm my idea of those kind of games being heavily stacked in favor of the wolves (the wiki even stated that the wolves' win should be almost certain) but I wanted to know how it held up in practice.
    It's my favorite way to play werewolf-- that said, I do much better with the figuring people out by posting rather than by mechanics part of the game, and I know plenty of excellent mafia players who really enjoy figuring out complex setups and power roles and all of that. With regards to balance, it's all a matter of numbers. Since there aren't any power roles, there's no built-in proportional balance. This setup (typically known as "mountainous") was actually the setup of choice for the 4th Championship (12 villagers, 3 wolves), and was deemed a little wolf-sided in that particular environment-- Champs always skews in wolves' favor-- but not terribly far from even in most cases. If town is coordinated and plays together, games can be absolute rolls, and vice versa. It strips the game down to interaction and solving in terms of what people say and do publicly in thread and nothing else, which I really enjoy.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    It's my favorite way to play werewolf-- that said, I do much better with the figuring people out by posting rather than by mechanics part of the game, and I know plenty of excellent mafia players who really enjoy figuring out complex setups and power roles and all of that. With regards to balance, it's all a matter of numbers. Since there aren't any power roles, there's no built-in proportional balance. This setup (typically known as "mountainous") was actually the setup of choice for the 4th Championship (12 villagers, 3 wolves), and was deemed a little wolf-sided in that particular environment-- Champs always skews in wolves' favor-- but not terribly far from even in most cases. If town is coordinated and plays together, games can be absolute rolls, and vice versa. It strips the game down to interaction and solving in terms of what people say and do publicly in thread and nothing else, which I really enjoy.
    Seconding this:
    As a villager in this setup, you aren't quite as bulletproof compared to a game with power roles. Mafia killing you means something different; they aren't trying to take your powers out of the game, they are taking your voice out of the game. You are either consensus villager or you've got them nervous.

It's a fun game to play, IMO, as town. I do alright in this setup as a wolf, but it's not my favorite way to play.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I have some balance questions that I want to ask without giving away too much for the game I plan to run. So, might be phrased a little oddly.

Do you think it'd be broken to have 2 Serial Killer neutrals? In sense of goal, not necessarily them both having a NK.

I'm contemplating a couple roles that have a normal night power, but can then lose their power permanently to do a strong power. For example, a voider who normally voids 1 person, but they can void all actions for a night (including the wolf-kill) in exchange for becoming a vanillager. Thoughts?

I'm also contemplating, akin to the HP game, of a pair of Lovers who don't die if their partner dies. But that seems too easily making a verified townie. On the other hand, I'm not allowed QTs in my game (besides 1 night-power that allows such), so it's not like the Lovers could be networked with the rest of Town without the wolves knowing who their partner is. So I guess maybe that is balanced if townchat is banned?

One power dynamic I'm considering (which would be public in the opening post) is a strange sort of scry.
    The game's premise is that there's 3 factions: the diabolists working for a law firm (wolves), the Town (practitioners), and some neutrals (Others). But the Town might contain a diabolist, just a good one.
    Most scrys only detect if someone is a diabolist, practitioner, or Other. So there's a chance of getting misinfo if you target the good diabolist. There might also be a role like the hexblade in the Wizards game that make someone read as diabolist for the night.
    There'll probably be 1 true seer who detects if someone is wolf, Town, or neutral. But some half-seers who can detect if someone is a diabolist or not.

----

And a question not for this game, but for a maybe-future one.
    What would be the balancing of a all-power-role Town, but no-power wolves? But the wolves have a higher starting number than Town. Like, I could see if 20 players, doing 15 Town and 5 wolves. With some talk of vanilla Town, it made me wonder if that might work well. Maybe if no QT for Town, too.

10. - Top - End - #130

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Do you think it'd be broken to have 2 Serial Killer neutrals? In sense of goal, not necessarily them both having a NK.
    No, it's been done.

I'm contemplating a couple roles that have a normal night power, but can then lose their power permanently to do a strong power. For example, a voider who normally voids 1 person, but they can void all actions for a night (including the wolf-kill) in exchange for becoming a vanillager. Thoughts?
    That kind of idea is decent (I did something similar with the Alien Psychotrooper in Crazy Idea, giving them a 1/game ability to scramble all scries and an always-on ability to scramble scries against them), although I think the idea of roleblocking everyone might be too strong. Also I don't feel like making them lose their powers is necessarily a good idea as it encourages everyone to use their most powerful abilities all at once, at the end of the game.

I'm also contemplating, akin to the HP game, of a pair of Lovers who don't die if their partner dies. But that seems too easily making a verified townie. On the other hand, I'm not allowed QTs in my game (besides 1 night-power that allows such), so it's not like the Lovers could be networked with the rest of Town without the wolves knowing who their partner is. So I guess maybe that is balanced if townchat is banned?
    Masons are fine in PMless games, and are fairly common - so common that MafiaScum uses them in their newbie games.

One power dynamic I'm considering (which would be public in the opening post) is a strange sort of scry.
    The game's premise is that there's 3 factions: the diabolists working for a law firm (wolves), the Town (practitioners), and some neutrals (Others). But the Town might contain a diabolist, just a good one.
    Most scrys only detect if someone is a diabolist, practitioner, or Other. So there's a chance of getting misinfo if you target the good diabolist. There might also be a role like the hexblade in the Wizards game that make someone read as diabolist for the night.
    There'll probably be 1 true seer who detects if someone is wolf, Town, or neutral. But some half-seers who can detect if someone is a diabolist or not.
    Millers and framers are both relatively normal roles, although framers are less common.

What would be the balancing of a all-power-role Town, but no-power wolves? But the wolves have a higher starting number than Town. Like, I could see if 20 players, doing 15 Town and 5 wolves. With some talk of vanilla Town, it made me wonder if that might work well. Maybe if no QT for Town, too.
    Generally, the setup is about 1 mafia per 4 town if all the mafia and one in four town have powers, or rough equivalent. I would suggest more like 1 mafia per 3 town if all town and no mafia have powers.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    That kind of idea is decent (I did something similar with the Alien Psychotrooper in Crazy Idea, giving them a 1/game ability to scramble all scries and an always-on ability to scramble scries against them), although I think the idea of roleblocking everyone might be too strong. Also I don't feel like making them lose their powers is necessarily a good idea as it encourages everyone to use their most powerful abilities all at once, at the end of the game.
    I know we've had mass voids (one use) at least twice before on this forum, but it was when games were bigger.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

That all is helpful.

I'll also throw out one Town power I'm envisioning. I'm wary of mentioning it, but the players won't know if it made it into the game unedited or not.
    "Each night, choose one player and then choose their target. Their targeted power(s) gets redirected to that target player if they use it that night. No effect on passive powers or if someone doesn't use a power. Once per game, you activate a Day power to change everyone's vote to a target you select. You are not revealed as doing this, but you must have voted for the person beforehand for the power to take effect. If you use this 1/game ability, you lose your Night ability for the rest of the game."

Based off the Duchamp enchanters.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-05-29 at 09:36 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

I already imagine the chaos that day ability will create. Or not, if somehow the target would get lynched either way >.>

14. - Top - End - #134
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I’m probably not going to be available when it’s time for recruitment to start, so I’ll let AvatarVecna take my spot to run next

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PartyOfRouges View Post
    I’m probably not going to be available when it’s time for recruitment to start, so I’ll let AvatarVecna take my spot to run next
    I've switched our spots. Unless you'd prefer to be removed entirely for the time being?

Gonna wait for gac3 just in case.

And yeah, it should start Tuesday (2nd of May) with recruitment ending on Monday (1st of May)

To get the game approved one first created the game thread then PMs a mod right?

- - - Updated - - -

I meant June, not May.
    That is correct. The full suggestion of how to go about setting up your game is in post #3, but it amounts to "make your thread, then PM a mod about it so it shows up ASAP".

My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #136
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    I've switched our spots. Unless you'd prefer to be removed entirely for the time being?

That is correct. The full suggestion of how to go about setting up your game is in post #3, but it amounts to "make your thread, then PM a mod about it so it shows up ASAP".
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Do y'all think it's more common/useful to have a voider on the wolf team or the Town team in all-power game? Or on both?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Do y'all think it's more common/useful to have a voider on the wolf team or the Town team in all-power game? Or on both?
    The wolves will always get more mileage out of powers since they can coordinate while a Town voider is unlikely to hit a Wolf at least the first two days, and even later depending on how the game is going.

Aside from that, it's useful for the side it has. In the HP game it would have been very useful for Town *Stares at Duck*.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Aside from that, it's useful for the side it has. In the HP game it would have been very useful for Town *Stares at Duck*.
    Let the record show that in the HP game it was very useful for Town in the end.

Also, I don't know if this is a good idea, but I once gave town a voider that only had like a 50% chance to void if aimed at another townie.
    Last edited by Duck999; 2020-06-01 at 11:52 AM.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Dang AV took of the recruitment start dates for the games not currently recruiting it looks like. I was using that to know when to sign up for a festive game.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    Dang AV took of the recruitment start dates for the games not currently recruiting it looks like. I was using that to know when to sign up for a festive game.
    I can put them back, if people find them useful.

My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

With "Beware Of Bites" moving into final pre-game stages, I've started recruitment for The Jellicle Ball.

My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #143

Is anyone here familiar with "The Thing" variant? Basically everyone starts human and one person is chosen to be "the Thing" (based on the movie, though could be a werewolf) and then each day phase you are voting to test someone to see if they are infected (thus they are "the Thing"). If you are successful in testing you may chain your test and test someone else, though if you choose a normal person, you must stop testing. Each night 'the Thing" may infect another person to join their team. If "a Thing" is found during testing it dies. There are variants with powers and things too, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of this version of werewolf and would be interested in running a game on here?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

I'd like such a game, looks good. It's basically a more Town-oriented version of a game with Cultists right?

If you test somebody who isn't a Thing do they die?

25. - Top - End - #145

no if you test someone who isn't a thing, then the testing ends, but otherwise nothing negative happens

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Joy would love a Day 1 where she doesn't vote for anybody's death (not sure wether she checks this place)

And uh, I'd be game even if it feels very moved towards Town. There again, Cult games might be screwed towards the Cult when compared to a 'standard' game so I guess that may evens out.

27. - Top - End - #147

I'd be happy to run it, though it looks like it'll be a while before a new game is run.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

My game is coming up soon, I should really figure out whether I'm doing a general final Fantasy game for a final Fantasy 4 specifically

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Evil Villains has ended in victory for Town and the Avenger (Apogee1). Schedule and archives have been updated.

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Evil Villains has ended in victory for Town and the Avenger (Apogee1). Schedule and archives have been updated.
    Oh, right, I was supposed to announce that myself. Oops.

In other news, stick me back on the end of the narration list. I’ll have new ideas by the time I need them, hopefully.
    Last edited by Snowblaze; 2020-06-09 at 02:48 AM.
    I'm writing stuff, come and read it!
    Werewolf games won: 24
    Werewolf games lost: 14
    Games as town: 23.5
    Games as neutral: 5.5
    Games as wolf: 9
    Games narrated: 1
    Deaths: 17

Extended Signature