New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Mafia Capital (WWC XIII): Important Info Here -- READ OPENING POSTS!

Xihirli, here's some thoughts on power interactions.

• If Dark Necrofear gets Joey Wheeler to join the wolves early on... the implications of that are interesting. Especially depending on how loyal the player decides to be to their new faction.
    • If Dark Necrofear recruits Tea, then Zorc dies, then Tea uses her power on Zorc: do the wolves gain two NKs since Zorc's passed to Yami Bakura AND Tea gained it?
    • For Yugi and Pharoah: since the wolf-kill power is Zorc's (or handed down to his successors), and Magical Hats protects from effects... that means it banes from the kill, yes?
    • Nothing seems to stop Yugi/Pharoh from targeting themselves (even if can't target oneself, Yugi targets Pharoah and it redirects to Yugi), so they could effectively make themselves immune to kills. Based on the "next endphase" wording, would Mirror Force and Magical Hats timing overlap, such that they could keep themselves immune to everything?
    • If Tea uses her power on an Ishtar, does she learn which Ishtar she got?
    • If Tea uses her power on one of the Lovers, does she just gain Magical Hats/Mirror Force?
    • I reckon Morphing Jar will be interseting :)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mafia Capital (WWC XIII): Important Info Here -- READ OPENING POSTS!

If you reread the Lovers, only one of them can activate their abilities per Main Phase 2, and they have to switch after. So only one of Mirror Force or Magical Hats can be active at the same time. Also, neither Mirror Force or Magical Hats targets.

Roles are revealed upon destruction, so Tea should always know who she is targeting. Would you consider a hard "a character can only be targeted by this ability once" for her?
    And in that hypothetical, Zorc no longer has that ability. It has been passed on. So she would only be able to gain "cannot be targeted by card effects." But I mean... maybe I should let her get a second Night Kill if I include the hard "one time target per duel" thing. That's a pretty unlikely hypothetical, and it rewards smart playing on the Villains' part. I'll think about it.
    Tea only gains the powers of the one individual she targets, whereas the Mind Shuffle is an effect of the Lover role split between both. So yes, Tea would only gain either Magical Hats or Mirror Force.

Yes, Dark Necrofear probably doesn't want to get Joey. I think that's fair since she is a much better Beast.

It's doubtful that we'll have enough players for me to use Morphing Jar, but I'm thinking it randomizes everyone's abilities on the next Main Phase 2 after its role is revealed (either through a claim or destruction). I don't know, it's tough.

I guess I'll outline the phases with an example.

Main Phase 2:
    Yugi uses Magical Hats on himself, which, on the next Standby Phase, gives him "cannot be targeted by Card Effects."
    Zorc Necrophades uses Tribute to the Doomed on Yugi, which in the Endphase, destroys him using Targeting as cost.

Endphase: Zorc Necrophades Destroys Yugi Moto. Pharoah ___ also dies.

Standby Phase: Yugi Moto gains the effect: "cannot be targeted by Card Effects." This does not change the fact that he was Destroyed.

So the villain powers are faster than the hero powers, more or less. If, however, on the next Main Phase 2, Yugi had chosen to give the Pharaoh Magical Hats, and Zorc targets either him or the Pharaoh, the ability would be wasted as targeting cannot be performed.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

The timing stuff sounds reasonable, and a neat and resonable buff to the wolves. I see how I was misreading the Lovers timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Standby Phase: Yugi Moto gains the effect: "cannot be targeted by Card Effects." This does not change the fact that he was Destroyed.
    So, for example, if Tea tried to target Yugi, it'd fail due to Magical Hats even though he's dead?

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, that's right. Though he's Destroyed. This is a kid's show, we can't say die.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Final Fantasy Guild Mafia is ready to start as soon as the thread is approved

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Final Fantasy Guild Mafia has concluded with a victory for Town.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Recruitment thread for Wilbow's Pact game is up: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...act-Mafia-Game

I'm fine giving it a couple weeks as a window to let people refresh between games and hopefully find new blood.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

QuickTopics question: is there a way to delete or hide the list of QuickTopics you have in your Profile at https://www.quicktopic.com/mytopics? I'd like to clear out the old ones before I start my game, but don't know how.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you click on MyTopics, then at the bottom is select Topics to Hide. You can use that to hide all your old ones.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Pact game has started (last night): https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...w-s-Pact-Mafia

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Schedule's been updated, my bad.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Pact game ends.
    Town wins.
    Neutral Xihirli wins via a loophole.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Updated. I'll hammer out L4D3 and get it up later today.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll sign up to run a game. Haven't decided specifics yet.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Added to the schedule.

My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Left 4 Dead 3 is recruiting.

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #227

What is the mood the community? Thing can be run vanilla with scientist (villagers) vs things (werewolves) or I can throw a few powers in there. Is vanilla preferred for a first playthrough to just see what that is like or just jump straight to power-play? Any thoughts on what might attract more new players to the community? General advice or anything specific to this community?

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    What is the mood the community? Thing can be run vanilla with scientist (villagers) vs things (werewolves) or I can throw a few powers in there. Is vanilla preferred for a first playthrough to just see what that is like or just jump straight to power-play? Any thoughts on what might attract more new players to the community? General advice or anything specific to this community?
    I definitely prefer power games, but I could see vanilla for
    1) attract new players, who might know more traditional werewofl
    2) it sounds like this Thing game has some unique mechanics (but maybe I'm wrong), and having vanillas otherwise would let the unique aspects shine

EDIT: point 1 is kinda arbitrary, but the mostly/all-power games don't seem to be attracting many new players, so we could try something else.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-10-14 at 08:17 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229

So the main "different" mechanic of the Thing is that the "werewolf" faction spreads and infects others. So it changes how things are done, but also town doesn't die to lynch, you just get a yes/no as to whether they are currently a "thing" and if they are, then the test kills them, but if not, then they could be infected that night or they could stay clean.

20. - Top - End - #230

WolfInSheepsClothing

Crazier Idea mafia is now recruiting.

Also, I've been meaning to run a Upick game so if I'm allowed to be on the list 3 times...

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Game Concept to put out there for comment.

An Alien game, where the Aliens have power roles but the Town is all vanilla, except that there's Medical Supplies that act as a seer (scry if alien or not.) Envisioning two ways for the medical supplies to work
    1) during Night, everyone votes for who to scry in their private QT. As day breaks, I state who voted for who and the one with the most votes gets tested: both votes and test results are public info.
    2) one Town starts the game as the Medic (seer). If they die, a message appears "As XXX dies, they drop the medical supplies. Someone grabs them." and the Medic role passes randomly to another Town. (If someone is inactive, it would also pass to an active player.)

I'm envisioning Alien power roles akin to what's in the Crazy Idea, except the Mindslaver is modified (since voiding/controlling someone means nothing for vanilla town) and no Killing power (since kinda defeats the purpose of an Alien game.) Thinking mindslaver as a one-time, any-time (Night or Day) kill. Fluff-wise, basically mind-control to make the target suicide.
    So Mindslaver (as above), Innocent-Looking (fools scry), a day-baner (target can't be lynched tomorrow), a role to mess up night actions (vote in #1, only works if they are the Medic in #2).

Also, general question: in a standard Alien game, is it the case that there's not a NK, but instead the aliens have an edge power-wise over the town?

22. - Top - End - #232

WolfInSheepsClothing

Also, AV, do you mind swapping my two games on the schedule? I'll want a good long while between crazy ideas, I think...

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, done.

My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Neat tidbit I learnt recently: to lynch means to kill outside the law via a mob. I had always thought it was another word particularly for hanging, I guess since lynch mobs usually use hanging in movies (and, from that, I presume in real life at least in last couple hundred years of US history--but not wanting to get into real life discussion, so focus on media.) But apparently it's the killing and the unofficial status of said killing, not the means of killing.

Or at least I saw that as the definition of 'lynch' somewhere recently. Wouldn't be surprised it some sources list a secondary definition of it as a synonym for legal or illegal hanging.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-11-23 at 01:09 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235

WolfInSheepsClothing

rogue_alchemist should probably start recruiting for the next one, as this one's gonna be over soon even if no-one surrenders.

26. - Top - End - #236

yea I'll start working on my recruitment.

- - - Updated - - -

I know it is a little premature, but The Thing is recruiting. It is very vanilla this time around, but there are power roles to add later. I figured we may be able to get some new people interested and help them learn the game. Also it is a nice palate cleanser among all these all-power games we have been playing.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Posting because I saw the new recruitment literally by chance since gitp doesn't add a notification for the update.

So yeah, to those that didn't notice like me, new game is recruiting.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I realized that, between a couple things, I probably can't start my game as the next game. Would you bump me behind PartyOfRogues and AvatarVecna's next two games? That should put me safely in January when I know I'll be able to host.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I realized that, between a couple things, I probably can't start my game as the next game. Would you bump me behind PartyOfRogues and AvatarVecna's next two games? That should put me safely in January when I know I'll be able to host.
    Updated.

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #240
    Halfling in the Playground

So I’ve been lurking since my last game, but I think that I’m about ready to head out of the Playground. Y’all have fun.

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.