Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Leomund's tiny hut and warlock patrons

Can anyone help me with a ruling on if Leomund's tiny hut blocks contact to a warlocks patron. I would probably say that the bond between a warlock and their patron is by it's very nature magical. Therefore any attempt to communicate, either way, through use of that bond is not possible from inside the hut.

Any thoughts on this presumption?
    Last edited by DarcyFinn; 2020-02-27 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Leomund's tiny hut and warlock patrons

Quote Originally Posted by DarcyFinn View Post
    Can anyone help me with a ruling on if Leomund's tiny hut blocks contact to a warlocks patron. I would probably say that the bond between a warlock and their patron is by it's very nature magical. Therefore any attempt to communicate, either way, through use of that bond is not possible from inside the hut.

Any thoughts on this presumption?
    Ehhh, its heavily DM dependant, but I'd say if a Cleric can prepare spells while within Leomund's Tiny Hut, then Warlocks can contact their patrons. Patrons are usually extremely powerful beings that are close to being on par with a deity.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Thanks! Yes very DM dependant. Warlock is trying to do something without their patron noticing, and was wondering if they could do something in LTH as a shield to magical observance/communication. I think the judgement is that the connection isn't gone so if your patron can get into your mind LTH can't stop that...but if they cast a spell to watch you then the spell will react with LTH in the same way all spells do in the rules.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Warlock patrons are...ill-defined...on purpose. Mechanically, a warlock's patron has less control over them than a cleric's deity does over said cleric. A deity can refuse to grant spells, or even grant different spells than those prayed for (though few DMs ever use this, as it would usually be something the deity was doing for very good reason and not just to mess with the PC). Warlocks can be loyalists, students, rebellious, or even outright enemies towards their Patrons. And they still gain levels and powers.

A Patron's ability to spy on his Warlock is limited, at best, and questionably extant at all. So it's DM-dependent, but also even Warlock and Patron dependent. The warlock in my Tomb of Annihilation game has Baggy Nanna as her Patron, and when Nanna wants to get info on her, she has to seek her out or send a minion to spy/converse. If said Warlock wants to do something without Baggy Nana knowing, she just has to check for normal scrying and spying techniques before doing so.

But any scrying Baggy Nanna wanted to do would be a lot easier, given the link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would allow Warlocks to rest as normal inside a LTH.

I mean, if a DM and player REALLY want to get into the weeds of the class and how it works, go ahead and create rules for this sort of thing. I'm all for flavor-added and gritty realism splashed into D&D. But I would not force this realism onto the class midway through a campaign.

deljzc

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Most warlock patrons are extraplanar: no magical effects need to pass through the walls of the Hut at all. For the same reason, I would allow a wizard to cast Plane Shift from inside the Hut.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

If the DM gets a bit lawyery with it, tell them you commune through the floor. (it'd be a mean DM to deny you though)

"A 10-foot-radius immobile dome of force springs into existence around and above you and remains stationary for the duration"