Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Social Bard Spell List

So I have selected bard. It will be my first real time as a spell caster. My bard is geared towards Role Play and social stuff (ALL skills and such aimed at winning social checks). He will be excellent in that capacity. Even while starting at Level 1.

So Id like some assistance on the bard spells/cantrips and what to pick at level 1. I am looking to make sure I have *some* utility in combat. But my primary role will be out of combat. Our party will be a wizard, archer, cleric, monk, bard.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Social Bard Spell List

As far as casting spells in social situations go, first check with your DM whether it's possible to conceal or disguise casting in any way. If he does not allow it (I believe most do, but not all), you have basically 2 possibilities:
    1- get 3 levels of sorcerer and use subtle spell metamagic to conceal your casting
    2- get the actor feat and the charlatan background; just that allows you to wreak havoc in the social pillar, specially combined with expertise. As long as you are disguised, you can mitigate a lot of the fallout of casting spells like friends and charm person, so this is also recommended when you can disguise your casting.

Also there are some magic items that help (hat of disguise, perfume of bewitching, etc)

Finally, not so much for the social pillar thing only, but as soon as possible get your hands in an instrument of the bards. It's one of the best magic items in the game (and will even improve your social spells that inflict the charmed condition)
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2020-02-28 at 05:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Honestly, you don't need much.

For combat, Dissonant Whispers and Vicious Mockery.

Grab Sleep. Usable in-and-out of combat, but ditch it by level 5.

The rest can be worked around the needs of your team. As long as you pick up Heat Metal at level 3, you'll be about as combat-ready as any Bard.

I understand that you're primarily looking for social spells, but I just wanted to point these out to give you an idea as to how much you can invest towards those spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Ive gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Honestly, you don't need much.

For combat, Dissonant Whispers and Vicious Mockery.

Grab Sleep. Usable in-and-out of combat, but ditch it by level 5.

The rest can be worked around the needs of your team. As long as you pick up Heat Metal at level 3, you'll be about as combat-ready as any Bard.

I understand that you're primarily looking for social spells, but I just wanted to point these out to give you an idea as to how much you can invest towards those spells.
    Well I do need to have some utility for combat. So selecting spells for mostly social, but some with combat utility...help. I know I have a dagger, but my melee will be garbage as my dex is below my wis and int too (so above con and strength) in a standard array).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Social spells I pick for my lore bard:

Hex (first two levels are warlock)
    Comprehend Languages (works well with GOO warlock)
    Enhance Ability
    Tongues
    Sending
    Bestow Curse
    Glibness
    Foresight

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

lall knows what's up. Message can be especially useful, socially. Think of all the trouble you could stir up, haunting someone with voices muahahaha.

Anyway, for a lvl 1 selection on a bard who's trying to really focus on the social aspect, I'd go with Message, Charm Person, and Disguise Self (to dodge the fallout from Charm Person). Naturally, you could skip the latter-most if you had decent mundane disguises.

And of course, all pure bards should have Viscous Mockery and Dissonant Whispers. Probably Faerie Fire, too.

I'd suggest holding off until lvl 2 for Comprehend Languages if you lack mundane disguises.

After that, you'll probably want Detect Thoughts and Phantasmal Force.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

For the social side of things, you should really take a look at the Social God guide!

In combat, dissonant whispers is your major damage dealer: just cast it on the monster standing next to the barbarian in your party and they get a free opportunity attack!

Suggestion is a great one in- and outside of combat, as is phantasmal force.