New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default An adventurer walks into a tavern...

BLUF So, I have been thinking about my playing currently and seeing no real steady future in the constantly chaotic changing non-AL campaign I mainly am putting effort into I think I may look for another shop for AL play. The most consistent and largest groups are a bit far from our new apartment (July 1) and the closest AL is always filled by a steady group. Short of starting a campaign myself I may be dependent on not have a consistent party mix in play. Nothing new there in AL terms.

So, what mix of PCs and how many should I create as a stable of potential characters to rotate as needed week to week as candidates?

Assume Tier 2 as my first choice, Tier 1 as almost always available it seems with the rare Tier 3 game open, and not by invitation only, possible. Annually Role Call convention has done all 4 tiers of AL play plus epics, etc., but it is just annually.

Currently I have the following PCs listed in order off the shelf which I can include or exclude from my selection to bring to a game.

Forest Gnome Diviner Wizard 3
    Earth Genasi Battlemaster 11 Tier 3
    Mountain Dwarf Celestial Warlock 4/Fighter 1 Tier 2
    Variant Human from Chult Ranger 5 Tier 2
    Forest Gnome Evoker Wizard 3/ Tempest Cleric 2 (He is the dude collecting spell books from defeated foes.) Tier 2
    Mountain Dwarf War Wizard 7 Tier 2
    Mountain Dwarf Dex > ST Archery Battle Master Fighter 3
    Rock Gnome Abjurer 3
    Mountain Dwarf Rogue 1 “Enforcer” with high ST and DE/CO
    Mountain Dwarf Elk Totem Barbarian 3
    Mountain Dwarf Open Hand Monk 5. Tier 2
    Mountain Dwarf Wild Magic Sorcerer 2/Paladin 2. This can be rebuilt for the sorcerer part since it is a PHB only character originally.

Who do I include? Do I need to create a new character to fill a gap like a spell caster Cleric? I would like to keep the number of character folders to no more than 4 or 5 for transportation purposes if at all possible. I also want both Tier 2 and 1 characters available.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: An adventurer walks into a tavern...

I'm a little lost. Are you asking about making AL characters to have available for drop-in play? Because, to be AL legal, you need to start from level one and work your way up. It sounds (if I'm reading it right) like you're planning on making a bunch of characters levels 1-9.

Granted, I've never had anyone demand to see my log or anything (or even bother keeping a log these days).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

For AL play, I find that putting much effort into picking the right PC to fill out a party isn't worth the effort. The players, encounters, and PCs are so fluid from game to game, I find I enjoy playing a character I like to play regardless of setting or rando party composition.

I would suggest keeping a stable of mid and hi lvl tier 1, and low mid and hi lvl tier 2 PCs so you can jump into any table and not throw off the balance. Of note, you can deny leveling up as many times as you want so you can build a PC to a desirable lvl and then leave them there.

Every party can use another meat shield, another blaster, a rogue, or a healer - play what keeps you interested/entertained.

An alternate method would be to create multiple lvl versions of your favorite character and always play the same guy but at the right balance point for the game (this would keep it easy for you to know them inside and out, but may get boring doing the same thing over and over).

Lastly - I have a 3 ring binder for AL - it makes it pretty easy to keep PCs organized and easy to tote.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    I'm a little lost. Are you asking about making AL characters to have available for drop-in play? Because, to be AL legal, you need to start from level one and work your way up. It sounds (if I'm reading it right) like you're planning on making a bunch of characters levels 1-9.

Granted, I've never had anyone demand to see my log or anything (or even bother keeping a log these days).
    Selecting from those listed and/or starting a level 1 PC for a gap that I do not have covered in that listing. I mean, I could bring them all since I have thousand plus fantasy figures in storage (yea war games) but I am trying to find the handful that cover most cases.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    For AL play, I find that putting much effort into picking the right PC to fill out a party isn't worth the effort. The players, encounters, and PCs are so fluid from game to game, I find I enjoy playing a character I like to play regardless of setting or rando party composition.

I would suggest keeping a stable of mid and hi lvl tier 1, and low mid and hi lvl tier 2 PCs so you can jump into any table and not throw off the balance. Of note, you can deny leveling up as many times as you want so you can build a PC to a desirable lvl and then leave them there.

Every party can use another meat shield, another blaster, a rogue, or a healer - play what keeps you interested/entertained.

An alternate method would be to create multiple lvl versions of your favorite character and always play the same guy but at the right balance point for the game (this would keep it easy for you to know them inside and out, but may get boring doing the same thing over and over).

Lastly - I have a 3 ring binder for AL - it makes it pretty easy to keep PCs organized and easy to tote.
    Yeah, that is a good point. Now I am thinking (since one shop uses Warhorn for signups who get priority) that perhaps a controller wizard or cleric, a blaster, a monk (used as a Rogue filler if needed,) and a Melee/Missile combat MD character (Fighter or Ranger) might work but I would need to balance Tier 1 and 2 PCs too.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn

Otto von Bismarck Quotes