Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Inheritors of Auracite - Pathfinder 1e subsystem [PEACH]

This is a subsystem for pathfinder based upon a base class I made in the past, and is inspired by Akashic Mysteries, the Soulknife and the Aegis.

The basic premise is the character awakens something dormant within themselves, a fragment of a divine artefact. This fragment gives the character the ability to create a substance called Auracite, which they can shape into other things (swords, tables, forks, bridges etc) with.
    The character awakens their power by taking an [Auracite] feat, which gives them the ability to produce Auracite, and the ability to shape the Auracite into objects. If the character wants to learn more Auracite abilities, they need to take more [Auracite] feats. These feats are the only way to gain Auracite abilities.

I had three goals when making this system:
    First was to make an interesting "I make things from nothing" system
    Second was to make a system not constrained by "X times per day"
    Third was to make a system available to all classes
    I think I managed to accomplish all three goals, but I'm probably too biased to tell how well I did. Also the system has not been thoroughly playtested yet, so I'm not sure how balanced it is.

I am quite pleased with the system, and would very much like some feedback on it.

Inheritors of Auracite subsystem

Regarding the divine artefact, the lore I've put into the system is that a long dead deity of crafting created the artefact, and it shattered when the deity was killed, and ever since some mortals have been born with a shard of the artefact lodged in their soul, and the shard is what is awakened by taking the first [Auracite] feat. I did it this way so that the deity could fit into more or less any setting without forcing the DM to incorporate a new deity. However the role of the deity as the forger of the artefact could just as easily be given to a different crafter god, such as Moradin, if that fits the setting more.

Spoiler: A bit more background on why I made this subsystem feat based rather than class based
    Show

Like stated above, the only way to use this subsystem is through feats. There is no base class for this system, and the prestige class only gives small bonuses, but mainly just gives more [Auracite] feats.

A friend of mine suggested to me that I make my Auracite class into a subsystem rather than try to cram all my ideas into a single class.
    He suggested I look at Incarnum and take inspiration from it, particularly how it is accessible to other classes through feats.
    What he said made sense, so I decided to take his advice.

Reading Incarnum for the first time I was quite excited with the ideas and potential and disappointed at the execution of the ideas presented, especially for the classes.
    I did find some inspiration there, such as how feats could be used as entry gates to a subsystem for the core classes.

Then I found Akashic Mysteries and the psionic class Aegis and I more or less fell in love with both.
    I was told that Akashic Mysteries was essentially Incarnum ported to Pathfinder but done far better and I absolutely agree with that and I encourage anyone who liked the ideas and premise of Incarnum to check it out.

I really like the flexibility of both the Aegis and soulmelding/veilweaving, such as with how the soulmelds/veils can be exchanged and moved about, which was quite similar to what I had envisioned the Path of the Shroud could do for my class and is something I want to build more upon.

Other than the Auracite class itself, both Akashic Mysteries and the Aegis class have been hugely influential on this piece of work and serve as my main inspirations both thematically and rules wise.

Because of this, some of this system will be quite similar to elements from both Akashic and the Aegis, partially because Auracite was already similar to them, and in part because both Akashic and the Aegis do things that fit very well with my vision for Auracite and how I want it to work.
    Hopefully I will add enough of my own spin to things for this system not to be just a rehash of the inspirations.
    Last edited by Kael_Thor; 2020-03-14 at 04:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Inheritors of Auracite - Pathfinder 1e subsystem [PEACH]

While I understand the draw of having a path based on the Aegis, as that's a wonderful mechanical implementation of ability-swapping, I think the Auracite Shroud needs to go and its properties "bled out" into actual crafting-based mechanics. As it is currently, the Shroud is just about the only thing worth digging into for a "toolbox" build, as everything else costs an excessive number of feats. Splitting weapons, armor and shields and creation, enhancement and Special Qualities is the biggest case of this, eating nine feats for basic equipment.

Having a crafting power set carry a "spell" failure chance for using heavy armor or a shield is similarly nonsensical, and makes it extremely hard to justify for the martials who actually use the gear you'd be making as their standard combat activity. Having each Technique cost a feat furthers this issue of funneling users into the Shroud as the only thing with low enough build impact to be worth using, especially as AP is a daily resource that must be physically recovered in a matter of rounds, thus making it of minimal value to archers.

The generalities of what I'd go for:

1. To reduce the feat-hunger, I'd make Shape Auracite handle all mundane equipment creation with reasonable success rates at 1st level, have Auracite Points scale automatically with Forger Level, and automatically get a Technique with each Auracite feat taken, as well as centralizing improvements to being split thematically rather than split by item type.
    2. To make it viable for ranged characters, I'd make Auracite a "per encounter" resource, using upkeep costs instead of duration to offset the issues of this. Combined with the above, increased investment grants breadth of function to handle the increased expectation of kind, rather than being required for the basic expectation of scale.
    3. To force Auracite-based characters into being their own thing instead of tacked on via feats, I'd have the automatic Forger level be 1/2 character level on the feat, while introducing Auracite archetypes and splitting the prestige class, having those two options be full progression for their level. This also gives a good place to put more complicated transparency options.
    4. To further increase the variety of Auracite character types, I'd split the entrance feat into three, with one for Intelligence, Wisdom and Dexterity, respectively making it transparent with caster level for item crafting, Cleric level for Channeling feats, and Fighter level for Combat feats, as well as a Technique that ties into the associated mechanics in addition to Shape Auracite.
    6. To allow it to be used readily by melee characters, I'd have it draw from only the Armor Check Penalty, not requiring Concentration checks for the expected mid-combat uses and having access to the various mechanics for mitigating Armor Check Penalty. Effects with round-based Forging times, however, would still require Concentration while making.

The details I've thought of so far would be having the DC require a roll of 6 with the expected bonus for the level, which, for a base 16 Intelligence on a Craft check and using the Automatic Bonus Progression, would be +7 at 1st level (3 from Intelligence, 3 from a trained class skill, 1 from the skill point) and increase by 1 per level for the skill point, 1 per 6 starting at 5 for Mental Prowess and 1 per 8 from level-based ability score increases. A fairly close approximation is 12+1 1/3xlevel, meaning the DC raises by one per level, and by two every third level. The potential problems of deliberately inflated skill checks can be headed off with Forger Level restrictions and Auracite requirements cutting off extreme optimization from going above-curve on power by much.

I'd go with Simple weapons at 1st level (DC 13), Martial weapons at 3rd level (DC 16) and Exotic weapons at 5th level (DC 18), with armor instead being something like 9+3xAC, with the AC multiplier raised by one for Light Armor and reduced by one for Heavy Armor. Auracite costs would be by weight or volume for raw material concerns, expressed as lbs./5ft.^3 per Forger Level, making it so that there's an exponential growth of raw stuff with level. Capitalizing on this scaling method would be having the root of the constructs be Animated Objects, making the best pure-Auracite constructs eat a considerable amount of Auracite Points from needing to maintain their mass, on top of the cost of the animation.

As for the Techniques offered by the split entrance feats, the one for direct access to Item Crafting feats would get the Technique for applying an Enhancement bonus to existing items, as well as the basic mostly-mundane special qualities like Keen and Fortification, the one for Channeling feats would be temporary HP or Force damage with a rate of 3/Auracite, and the one for Fighter Bonus Feats would be enacting combat maneuvers at a distance.

For feats, I'd have "Metaforging" feats be more DC increases than Auracite Point cost increases, with some outright passive features, as most of the metamagic functions tend to be better explained by more skilled forging rather than shoving more Auracite in. And the latter is also oftentimes covered by the mechanical space of Reinforcement. For the crafting improvements, I'd have it key off of Craft Auracite, as a Permanency effect, having that stuff relate to the base item being Auracite, with Reconfigure Item being the key workaround to get the effects of other things into Auracite items so one may relentlessly screw with them through Techniques and other Auracite feats. And making the cost on that be a third of the item's market price, so it's a discount over just making the end product from scratch. Otherwise, why don't you just make the item from scratch? Similarly, Salvage to "break down" items into permanent Auracite value should be two-thirds for a slight increase over just selling the item, because otherwise, why aren't you just selling it for the gold to make the item you want yourself?

Additionally, I'd have a significant number of Auracite Combat Feats, having counterparts for, as a start, Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot, Power Attack and Cleave, and Two-Weapon Fighting and Two-Weapon Defense. Two deep into the "default" combat trees, basically, so that Martials aren't particularly interrupted in their feat-intensive builds to get to passable baseline competence. Similarly, the "Quick Forging" feat, or whatever you want to call the "Metaforging" equivalent to Quicken Spell, in addition to increasing the DC by 8 (for a six-level offset, since the functions in question are generally not nearly as much of a problem as spellcasting), would count as the Quick Draw feat for prerequisites.

With Techniques, try to focus on item enhancement and item creation, not direct Doing Things. Rather than a direct-damage Technique, have it be making a thrown weapon as part of the same action as throwing it, with Reinforcement options for making more of them if you wish to Full Attack, increase the damage on a hit, or even make it a Splash weapon. Instead of "Totally Not Fireball", have that Technique space be a Technique for Energy infusion for damage or resistance, turning into the "Totally Not Fireball" when used with the suddenly-made Splash weapons.

There's a lot of things to compare to for limiting the total output. The Soulknife of the same creators as the Aegis that inspired you is probably the best example for how far one may push a single feature-item with full-build focus, while the Summoner's Eidolon would be the benchmark to avoid exceeding for a "One Big Summon" setup. Divorcing the subsystem from daily uses adds a number of hickups, but Path of War and Tome of Battle (the former is the third-party Pathfinder port of the latter) are examples for per-encounter powers, and you know Akashic Mysteries, which is a port of Incarnum, as a benchmark for mostly-passive power that's shuffled throughout the day.

I'll also bring up Spheres of Power as a casting-based subsystem rooted in at-will powers with a daily resource for "pushing" it, as your current setup is designed to accommodate. The Creation and Enhancement Spheres would be the most relevant for a purely item-based implementation, while the Conjuration and Alteration Spheres being the system's examples for making and modifying creatures, respectively.
    My most liked class, thematically, is the Artificer. Make free items! (fail by RAW to)Hold up the setting! Have access to every magic item...
    My most liked class, mechanically, is the Bard. I sing the enemy to death! (at level 21)I talk you into a suicidal fanatic! I need to cheese rules that make me sing as I fight or talk to get things done...

I prefer t2 over anything else, because t2 lets you become anything. I think Psionics is more versatile than magic.

Homebrewer's sig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Firstly, thanks for the feedback. While I'm a bit discouraged by the number of things "wrong", getting good feedback is awesome, and necessary so I hopefully can fix and improve things.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    While I understand the draw of having a path based on the Aegis, as that's a wonderful mechanical implementation of ability-swapping, I think the Auracite Shroud needs to go and its properties "bled out" into actual crafting-based mechanics. As it is currently, the Shroud is just about the only thing worth digging into for a "toolbox" build, as everything else costs an excessive number of feats. Splitting weapons, armor and shields and creation, enhancement and Special Qualities is the biggest case of this, eating nine feats for basic equipment.
    Shroud is actually the part I'm most happy about, at one point I was thinking of just baking everything else into it. However I do see your point. What I'm leaning towards doing is taking it out and putting it back in the form of a dedicated prestige class, perhaps one that gets Shroud and a lesser overall Auracite progression.

I agree that everything costs too many feats, its a difficult balance to find. Essentially I'm allowing players to trade feats for gold, in that they can take feats to eliminate certain gear dependencies. I don't think I can have one feat give Blade, Armor and Shield, and if I have one feat give Blade and later Blade enhancement, the cost becomes too low for what you get out of it. Getting not only a weapon, but a magic scaling weapon for just two feats is too good.
    I've been doubting my decision to make this system feat based for a while now, and the more I think about it, I find more and more problems. Right now I'm leaning between trying to balance the system as it is, or just scrapping the feat based idea and go for archetypes and prestige classes instead.

Having a crafting power set carry a "spell" failure chance for using heavy armor or a shield is similarly nonsensical, and makes it extremely hard to justify for the martials who actually use the gear you'd be making as their standard combat activity. Having each Technique cost a feat furthers this issue of funneling users into the Shroud as the only thing with low enough build impact to be worth using, especially as AP is a daily resource that must be physically recovered in a matter of rounds, thus making it of minimal value to archers.
    The "spell" failure is actually a remnant from when the Auracite abilities were spell like abilities, and I added it because I thought it fit. On further thought I agree it doesn't make much sense though, and might need to be replaced.

I disagree that recovering AP before it disappears makes it less valuable to archers though. If I understand your point correctly, you value AP recovery for archers less because they'd have to move to their arrows and recover the AP used to form arrows before the AP is lost, but that was not my intention with this:
    If forming a non-thrown ranged weapon using this technique you may invest 1 additional AP as you form the weapon to allow the weapon to produce any ammunition it needs.
    My intention was that the AP you could recover was in the weapon, not the ammunition, though now that I think about it, I might have to better specify that.

The generalities of what I'd go for:

1. To reduce the feat-hunger, I'd make Shape Auracite handle all mundane equipment creation with reasonable success rates at 1st level, have Auracite Points scale automatically with Forger Level, and automatically get a Technique with each Auracite feat taken, as well as centralizing improvements to being split thematically rather than split by item type.
    If I understand what you mean, you suggest merging Armor, Blade and Shield with the current Shape Auracite, correct? I feel that might be a bit too much for one ability. It would drastically reduce the number of feats required, but would also really increase the amount of versatility gained from just a couple of feats.

I thought about having AP scale with Forging level, and I might still do that. The reason I didnít was that I didnít want someone who took just one Auracite feat to be able to use their Auracite just as much as someone who took say ten feats. However your suggestion on the scaling of Forger level would address that issue.

Gaining a technique from all the auracite feats is a good idea, I might just remove the Gain Auracite Technique feat and instead add ďAdditionally when you take this feat you gain an Auracite technique of your choiceĒ to the other feats instead.

When you say centralizing improvements, what improvements do you mean? I just realised Iím using the word Improvement for too many things, do you mean the improved techniques, or the Improving Touch improvements?
    I will try to answer for both:
    Several of the Technique Improvements and Reinforcements can be consolidated, especially if I do decide to combine Armor, Blade and Shield. I donít technically need three ďthe item you make gets an enhancement bonusĒ techniques, for instance.

I do like how the various Improving Touch improvements are split, but some consolidation could be done there as well I suppose.

2. To make it viable for ranged characters, I'd make Auracite a "per encounter" resource, using upkeep costs instead of duration to offset the issues of this. Combined with the above, increased investment grants breadth of function to handle the increased expectation of kind, rather than being required for the basic expectation of scale.
    To address the scale first, I originally wanted to have an automatic scaling. You use one feat to take Blade, and at X level Blade gets 1 enhancement bonus, for example, but I was told that was too much for just one feat. Personally I agree that ideally you would continue to invest feats into the system to broaden your skills with Auracite, not grow stronger with it, but so far I havenít found a way to balance that properly.

About upkeep costs, Iím hesitant to implement that, not just because it is difficult but because it could mean you would need large amounts of AP in order to be able to anything other than very bare bones things If you only have 10 AP, and the upkeep cost for your Blade is 1 per round, and the upkeep cost of your armor is also 1 per round, you canít really afford to do anything other than those two things.
    Fluff/lore wise that makes the most sense, but mechanically Iím unsure how to do it properly. As far as I know, only Ethermagic by Interjection Games has introduced an upkeep cost in Pathfinder, unless Iím forgetting something obvious, and while I thought about doing something similar, the book keeping a system like that requires is a bit too much.

3. To force Auracite-based characters into being their own thing instead of tacked on via feats, I'd have the automatic Forger level be 1/2 character level on the feat, while introducing Auracite archetypes and splitting the prestige class, having those two options be full progression for their level. This also gives a good place to put more complicated transparency options.
    I was trying to avoid having to make large amounts of archetypes and prestige classes for this, but it looks like Iím going to have to make at least a few, because your idea is a good one. Originally Forger level was based upon the number of auracite feats you had, but I discarded that because of reasons I canít remember at the moment.

4. To further increase the variety of Auracite character types, I'd split the entrance feat into three, with one for Intelligence, Wisdom and Dexterity, respectively making it transparent with caster level for item crafting, Cleric level for Channeling feats, and Fighter level for Combat feats, as well as a Technique that ties into the associated mechanics in addition to Shape Auracite.
    I can see where caster level and Combat feats come in, but why Channeling feats? How does Channeling connect with my system? Similarly Intelligence and Dexterity makes sense, but how does Wisdom help with creating stuff?

6. To allow it to be used readily by melee characters, I'd have it draw from only the Armor Check Penalty, not requiring Concentration checks for the expected mid-combat uses and having access to the various mechanics for mitigating Armor Check Penalty. Effects with round-based Forging times, however, would still require Concentration while making.

The details I've thought of so far would be having the DC require a roll of 6 with the expected bonus for the level, which, for a base 16 Intelligence on a Craft check and using the Automatic Bonus Progression, would be +7 at 1st level (3 from Intelligence, 3 from a trained class skill, 1 from the skill point) and increase by 1 per level for the skill point, 1 per 6 starting at 5 for Mental Prowess and 1 per 8 from level-based ability score increases. A fairly close approximation is 12+1 1/3xlevel, meaning the DC raises by one per level, and by two every third level. The potential problems of deliberately inflated skill checks can be headed off with Forger Level restrictions and Auracite requirements cutting off extreme optimization from going above-curve on power by much.

I'd go with Simple weapons at 1st level (DC 13), Martial weapons at 3rd level (DC 16) and Exotic weapons at 5th level (DC 18), with armor instead being something like 9+3xAC, with the AC multiplier raised by one for Light Armor and reduced by one for Heavy Armor. Auracite costs would be by weight or volume for raw material concerns, expressed as lbs./5ft.^3 per Forger Level, making it so that there's an exponential growth of raw stuff with level. Capitalizing on this scaling method would be having the root of the constructs be Animated Objects, making the best pure-Auracite constructs eat a considerable amount of Auracite Points from needing to maintain their mass, on top of the cost of the animation.
    Moving away from ďspellĒ failure towards armor check penalty and leaning more on Craft checks sounds like a good idea, and fits the theme better anyway than ďspellĒ failure.

Technically Shape Auraciteís cost is already determined by volume, a Medium or smaller object costs 1 AP, a Large object costs 3 AP etc.

I donít have a considerable increase in the cost of larger Auracite Constructs because that could severely limit a Constructs focused style of play. Astral Construct, which Auracite Construct is based upon, requires double the amount of additional points to level up than Auracite Constructs, but a character based upon Astral Constructs will have far more PP than a character has AP. Again fluff wise the cost increase should be larger, but mechanically Iím not sure I want to do that.

For feats, I'd have "Metaforging" feats be more DC increases than Auracite Point cost increases, with some outright passive features, as most of the metamagic functions tend to be better explained by more skilled forging rather than shoving more Auracite in. And the latter is also oftentimes covered by the mechanical space of Reinforcement. For the crafting improvements, I'd have it key off of Craft Auracite, as a Permanency effect, having that stuff relate to the base item being Auracite, with Reconfigure Item being the key workaround to get the effects of other things into Auracite items so one may relentlessly screw with them through Techniques and other Auracite feats. And making the cost on that be a third of the item's market price, so it's a discount over just making the end product from scratch. Otherwise, why don't you just make the item from scratch? Similarly, Salvage to "break down" items into permanent Auracite value should be two-thirds for a slight increase over just selling the item, because otherwise, why aren't you just selling it for the gold to make the item you want yourself?
    ďMetaforgingĒ sounds awesome, Iím tempted to rename Technique Improvements to that and move them out of techniques and into feats instead.

Iím not quite pleased with the crafting improvement feats, especially the Craft (Auracite) feat, which is more or less mandatory. Maybe expanding into making real items from Auracite is the way to go, Iím going to have to think on that a bit more.

Additionally, I'd have a significant number of Auracite Combat Feats, having counterparts for, as a start, Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot, Power Attack and Cleave, and Two-Weapon Fighting and Two-Weapon Defense. Two deep into the "default" combat trees, basically, so that Martials aren't particularly interrupted in their feat-intensive builds to get to passable baseline competence. Similarly, the "Quick Forging" feat, or whatever you want to call the "Metaforging" equivalent to Quicken Spell, in addition to increasing the DC by 8 (for a six-level offset, since the functions in question are generally not nearly as much of a problem as spellcasting), would count as the Quick Draw feat for prerequisites.
    The problem with having Auracite versions of feats like Point Blank Shot and Power Attack is how do you balance it so it doesnít become the default choice over the normal feat? The only way I can think of right now, other than having some wonky math like Auracite Power Attack gives ĺ the bonus as the regular feat, is to have the auracite feat require a higher level than the regular feat.

With Techniques, try to focus on item enhancement and item creation, not direct Doing Things. Rather than a direct-damage Technique, have it be making a thrown weapon as part of the same action as throwing it, with Reinforcement options for making more of them if you wish to Full Attack, increase the damage on a hit, or even make it a Splash weapon. Instead of "Totally Not Fireball", have that Technique space be a Technique for Energy infusion for damage or resistance, turning into the "Totally Not Fireball" when used with the suddenly-made Splash weapons.

There's a lot of things to compare to for limiting the total output. The Soulknife of the same creators as the Aegis that inspired you is probably the best example for how far one may push a single feature-item with full-build focus, while the Summoner's Eidolon would be the benchmark to avoid exceeding for a "One Big Summon" setup. Divorcing the subsystem from daily uses adds a number of hickups, but Path of War and Tome of Battle (the former is the third-party Pathfinder port of the latter) are examples for per-encounter powers, and you know Akashic Mysteries, which is a port of Incarnum, as a benchmark for mostly-passive power that's shuffled throughout the day.

I'll also bring up Spheres of Power as a casting-based subsystem rooted in at-will powers with a daily resource for "pushing" it, as your current setup is designed to accommodate. The Creation and Enhancement Spheres would be the most relevant for a purely item-based implementation, while the Conjuration and Alteration Spheres being the system's examples for making and modifying creatures, respectively.
    Again very good ideas. Funny you should mention Spheres of Power, I did think about just making this whole subsystem into a casting tradition for SoP, but by then I was so deep into it I didnít want to just scrap everything and start over.
    Making techniques more into the talents of the SoP system could be a good direction to take though.

As for Dreamscarred Pressí Soulknife, it was very influential on the base class I made and based this system on, so I should probably list it as one of the inspirations.

Again, thank you very much for the feedback, youíve given me a lot to think about.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

With regards to my suggestion making Shape Auracite too powerful, the initial option is just any mundane equipment, doesn't come with Enhancement bonuses or anything by that baseline. The split improvements thing wasn't referencing Improving Touch (I didn't look over the Technique list in much detail, instead focusing on the "root" of the system that I could identify, due to my attention span/"working memory" issues), but rather the general "thing" of improving equipment. The idea being splitting it by the themes of what kind of improvement is being done. Separating them by theme of the kind of improvement, rather than what's being improved, which also means an overall rather broad list of available Special Qualities, but with the various important kinds split apart.

---

For the balance point on alternative feats, Incarnum used half-effectiveness from the feat itself giving one Essentia, carrying over the investment limit of Soulmelds for them to scale to higher totals if used by a Meldshaper class. Not sure if Akashic Mysteries kept that blunt "like X, but made better by the subsystem" group of feats. Did have some hilarious breakage with Psionics, as well. The thing being that you have to take a serious opportunity cost of going further with your main thing to get the necessary subsystem resources to make it work out, though automatically getting AP with Auracite does make this a more complicated matter to do. Similarly, to discuss the first-party comparison of feat power, the Variant Multiclassing rules take half your feats for class features, with the Magus option giving you the Arcane Pool of a Magus two levels lower at level 3.

Why this is relevant is that the base Arcane Pool feature allows you to get an Enhancement bonus to a weapon you're holding for one minute a number of times per day equal to 1/2 your Magus level + your Intelligence modifier, with the scaling being that it hits +2 at level 5 (and thus 7 for Variant Multiclassing for one feat) and you can by default trade Enhancement bonus for dancing, flaming, flaming burst, frost, icy burst, keen, shock, shocking burst, speed, or vorpal. And for another feat to get a Magus Arcana, you can add Brilliant Energy and Ghost Touch (at level 11), any Bane (at level 17), any of the four Alignment qualities (at level 14), or increase the duration to 1 minute/level (at level 8). Which are all oddly after you're forced by Variant Multiclassing to get a Magus Arcana for a feat at level 7.

The Magus Arcane Pool is not, technically, at will or permanent. But fights rarely last longer than 10 rounds, and facing more than 5 combats per day isn't exactly common, so by 5th level it might as well be whatever qualities you need. Also, it's a Swift Action to activate, so it doesn't even cost your first attack. And I suggest the base Shape Auracite just cover the base, mundane, equipment, to offset the often-practically-permanent nature of its benefits and being applicable to weapons and armor interchangeably, alongside being more cumbersome to use mid-combat than most of the other such effects due to eating actually-important actions. The upkeep cost is more a matter of smoothing out the contrast between Akasha/Incarnum-like investment and using Auracite as an active resource pool. It'd be more along the lines of being 2 Auracite/minute or 1/2 Forging Cost/hour, or a unified mechanic that just substitutes duration with how often you have to re-spend the Auracite to keep the item, not a per-round thing, as it'd be a measure of how much you can just have on you.

---

If you're trying to balance it around feat-to-gold ratio, remember that Craft Magic Arms and Armor effectively doubles your GP for the purposes of... well, arms and armor. And Craft Wondrous Item does the same for the bulk of the remainder of good things. Crafting is measured in days/1,000 gp, so it's not trivial, but crafting is generally extremely feat light for very large gains in gear value. Both have no prerequisites other than caster level, and the higher of the two is CL 5. Another single-feat value-extender, Harvest Parts, gives you 10gp x CR^2 per enemy of at least CR 1, which can occupy up to a quarter of the cost of a crafted item. Which may actually be half the crafting cost, if the former "quarter cost" is of market value, because the wording doesn't specify whether it's crafting or market cost that it can be a quarter of. Being more abstract, the Cleave feat is in most scenarios better than the Speed quality as a simple Standard Action, which is a +3 equivalent bonus, which can be considered at least 18,000 gp.

Feats have room for being worth a lot of gold, the balancing point should concern itself with whether or not you're exceeding the mechanical output of other builds. And with mechanics focused directly on item creation and enhancement, it'd be rather simple to calculate the damage output, as there'd be a minimal amount that isn't ultimately capped by the existing Martial mechanics. Of course, another thing to note for the balance is that Auracite being item-focused means that its saving of costs isn't nearly so valuable because it's competing with the magic items you'd spend it on unless invested significantly into specifically not doing that, which holds the opportunity cost of not pushing your Auracite itself to even higher and better places. And it's those places four or five feats deep that'd be worth using for spellcasters, who are generally not bothered by the use of most kinds of magic item, because otherwise it's using weapon attacks as a primary spellcaster, or taking a sizable pile of feats for purely defensive properties. Which admittedly can pay off for a melee-focused Arcanist or Witch willing to Fireball themselves in the face on the regular or wanting to be able to quickly magic up gear for their area-denial meatshield.

Another note for feat-power would be the Binder from 3.5's Tome of Magic, as well as taking a close look at the output found in pre-existing translation conventions, such as the Sleeping Goddess Discipline's transparency with Psionics, or the Tome of Battle and Magic of Incarnum [Psionic] feats (which include such things as 1 PP/Maneuver Level recovery on a Swift Action and spending Psionic Focus to maximize invested Essentia). Using Metaforging instead of Technique Expansions, which is honestly not that out there if improvements are determined more by theme than by what's being improved, can also be directly compared to the Magus' Arcane Pool and other class-specific improvements due to the feat-equivalence of those options.

For this working alongside Dreamscarred Studios material, something worth mentioning is that the 3.5 mechanics that Akashic Mysteries is based on occupied magic item slots, Veils don't. This means that there's not a conflict between Auracite-as-items and Veilshaping, which is not the case for the 3.5 Incarnum Soulmelds.

---

As for Channel... It's mostly digging for something to be the "healer" of the party for Auracite feat-entry, to be sure the subsystem has the mechanics to meet the needs of as many mechanical roles as possible. Flavor-wise, it'd be a raw burst of Auracite to make a crude, ablative "shell" or simply batter people directly, with baseline Reinforcement for area and raw dice. As a per-encounter power, the comparison would be found in Path of War's Silver Crane Discipline, which it could potentially exceed due to being temporary HP with a "leash", making it pre-emptive, non-recovering and range-limited.

It could also be the base ability for direct slotless buffs and debuffs (have the Metaforging or Technique Expansion for that allow it to be used on slot-appropriate Auracite objects?), adding a limit to how much damage can be taken before the buffs fall off. Possibly having it be gradual in some way, but that gets rather cumbersome to work out the bookkeeping for. Does help with making the "Auracite Shroud" kind of build less of a problem by making its defenses be mostly a very large pile of temporary HP, and as that's damaged, you lose bonuses. Maybe have that be a "thing" with Auracite item HP being transparent with Auracite Points, so one of the counters for enemy Auracite users is making Sunder attempts to degrade their stuff and potentially steal the Auracite for yourself? Also means Auracite would make Sunder actually able to be used against PCs without being a giant jerk move, as it's per-definition relatively easily repaired and exceptionally durable.

Also, thanks for pointing out the ammo generation. I missed that clause.
    My most liked class, thematically, is the Artificer. Make free items! (fail by RAW to)Hold up the setting! Have access to every magic item...
    My most liked class, mechanically, is the Bard. I sing the enemy to death! (at level 21)I talk you into a suicidal fanatic! I need to cheese rules that make me sing as I fight or talk to get things done...

I prefer t2 over anything else, because t2 lets you become anything. I think Psionics is more versatile than magic.

Homebrewer's sig

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

With regards to my suggestion making Shape Auracite too powerful, the initial option is just any mundane equipment, doesn't come with Enhancement bonuses or anything by that baseline. The split improvements thing wasn't referencing Improving Touch (I didn't look over the Technique list in much detail, instead focusing on the "root" of the system that I could identify, due to my attention span/"working memory" issues), but rather the general "thing" of improving equipment. The idea being splitting it by the themes of what kind of improvement is being done. Separating them by theme of the kind of improvement, rather than what's being improved, which also means an overall rather broad list of available Special Qualities, but with the various important kinds split apart.
    Making Shape Auracite the base ability for all auracite usage, and making the techniques be alterations/additions to that base ability is an interesting thought, kind of similar to how Spheres of Power does things. Iím very tempted to do that.

If I do make Shape Auracite the base ability, I will bake Armor, Blade and Shield into it and merge the three techniques for giving Armor, Blade or Shield enhancement bonuses into one technique(which Iíll probably make into a feat, rather than a technique).

Splitting the special qualities thematically sounds cool, Iím thinking something like an elemental category with things like Flame, which provides fire dmg if applied to a weapon, or fire resistance if applied to armor or shield, but it might be more cumbersome and complicated than its worth. The benefit of keeping it like it is now, is that it fits with existing magic item rules. I dunno, have to think some more about that one.

Snip
    I didnít know about the variant multiclassing, thatís kinda interesting, opens up a lot of build options. It does seem that costing three feats(if I consolidate armor, blade and shield into Shape) for the ability to make and grant gear enhancement bonuses and special qualities isnít that bad, and a lot better than needing ten feats (one for access to auracite, three for each type of gear).

Iím unsure about upkeep costs still. I donít think it would fit well with the reclaim auracite mechanic, and the sustain mechanic. Flavour/fluff wise I think it fits, but mechanically Iím less sure.

Snip
    I disagree that Cleave is better than Speed, Speed gives you another attack, which can be at the same target as all your other attacks, the extra attack Cleave gives has to be against a different target, which makes it more situational. I do get your point though, feats can give abilities worth a lot of gold and I shouldnít necessarily balance from that perspective. Especially knowing I can build a character who, for two feats, gets a Ďfreeí +2 weapon at level 7, and a Magus Arcana as well. Suddenly one feat to make something, and another feat to give it enhancement bonuses sounds perfectly acceptable.

Snip
    I donít want to add reduction in bonuses from the object taking damage, that way lies a whole load of bookkeeping. Fluff/flavour wise it makes sense, the more damage the object the less effective it is, but keeping track of it all doesnít sound fun to me.

Adding a healer option could be interesting, I know Ethermagic has a healer archetype I could look to for inspiration. Weíll see, Iíll add it to my list.

As for Sunder, if I was a DM and I had a player using Auracite, I would absolutely send a Sunder user against them. I have thought about adding a way for someone to steal Auracite and add to their own reserves, it could be cool but I havenít fleshed it out just yet.

Also, thanks for pointing out the ammo generation. I missed that clause.
    Happy to help

Right now these are the changes Iím thinking about making to the system:
    1. Make Shape Auracite the base ability
    2. Merge Armor, Blade and Shield into Shape Auracite
    3. Merge the three different grant enhancement bonus techniques into one
    4. Perhaps merge the three different special qualities techniques into one
    5. Move Shroud into a dedicated 5 lvl prestige class - done
    6. Rewrite some of the strange rules, such as the "spell" failure -done
    7. Change Forging Level to scale differently for feats and classes
    8. Make AP scale with Forging Level -done
    9. Take a look at the feats, some can be changed, some can be removed. I'm thinking of removing both the Craft (Auracite) and the Gain Auracite Technique feats, and instead make Craft: Auracite a baseline skill gained from the Awaken Auracite feat, and adding so that every Auracite feat grants a technique
    10. Some techniques can be moved to feats, some merged, some removed
    11. Clarify/improve the rules language
    12. Add more archetypes and prestige classes
    13. Add a feat to reduce arcane spell failure chance due to armor/shield?
    14. Rework the Craft (Auracite) feat to be closer to Arrtisan's Craft Training? - done

This is the list I've made for myself about possible changes. I'm still not sure, this would be an extensive rewrite of the system and I'm not sure if I want to or how I want to do the changes yet.
    Also I've been advised to wait to make any significant changes until after I've been able to playtest the system, which makes sense, so I might do that. I might also get impatient and start messing with this anyway, but for now I'm in the planing/deliberating stage. That doesn't mean I'm not still open to feedback, just that for now I'm thinking and writing down what I might want to change, but haven't yet decided what changes to make, or even if I want to make the changes.

Edit1: I've just remembered why Armor, Blade and Shield is not part of Shape. Technically you can make armor, shields and weapons using Shape Auracite, but it takes 10 minute to do and the item has a duration rather than being sustained. Picking, say, Auracite Blade represents training with creating weapons so that you can make weapons with just a move action, and sustain it as long as you want.
    Remembering that makes me less sure if I want to merge Armor, Blade and Shield fully into Shape. I think I might keep them separate for now, but I might merge the three 'add enhancement bonus to the gear you make' techniques into one.

Edit 2: I changed my mind, and changed some things anyway.
    Changelog 16.03.2020:
    1. Added to Awaken Auracite: "When you take this feat, you gain Forging level 1. Whenever your character level increases, your Forging level increases by the same amount.". This means your Forging level scales from the point you take Awaken Auracite, meaning you can't take Awaken Auracite at level 10 and have Forging level 10.
    2. Added to all Auracite feats other than Awaken Auracite: "Additionally, when you take this feat you gain an Auracite technique, chosen at the time you gain this feat. You must meet any requirements of the chosen Auracite technique.". I did this so you don't have to choose between an auracite feat you want and a technique you want.
    3. Removed the Gain Auracite Technique feat. It wasn't necessary with the above change.
    4. Added the Extra Auracite feat. This allows a character who doesn't want any of the other feats to still gain techniques.

These are the changes I've done so far, not a lot but hopefully they are improvements none the less. I have not implemented that Forging level scales differently for feats vs classes yet, since I want to wait until I have more than one class to choose from before doing that. I have also kept Shroud in, because I want it available until I finish the class dedicated to it.

I'm still thinking about the other items on the "to-do" list, but those will take significantly longer to even decide what I want to do about them, especially the add archetypes and prestige classes one.
    Last edited by Kael_Thor; 2020-04-01 at 07:52 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I haven't changed much, but I've done some changes and made some decisions:

Changelog 25 march 2020:
    • I've added the Shrouded Inheritor, a prestige class around the Auracite Shroud. This class is now the only way to get the Auracite Shroud.
    • I've rewritten A Growing Shard and A Grown Core. They can now be gained from both current prestige classes, and now stack.
    • I've done some thinking, and some math, on Forging level scaling, and AP scaling, and for now I'm going to keep the Forging level as scaling 1 for 1 with character level, and with 2 AP per Forging level. However I've changed the bonus from A Growing Shard to be bonus AP.

For now that is all I've done, not huge changes but its a start towards tackling my list.

Edit:
    Changelog 30 march 2020:
    • Removed the clunky failure chance due to armor, added in arcane spell failure chance to auracite techniques
    • Reworked the Auracite Adept's Warrior path to better fit with the above changes, and scale better

Edit 2:
    Changelog 1 april 2020:
    • Reworded Magic Training to be clearer
    • Reworked the Craft (Auracite) feat
    Last edited by Kael_Thor; 2020-04-01 at 07:50 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Changelog 22 april 2020:
    • Renamed Auracite Adept into Studied Inheritor and changed it from a prestige class to a base class
    • Removed A Grown Core from Shrouded Inheritor, it fits better as the last ability of a base class
    • Changed A Growing Shard

Originally I didn't want to add a base class to this system. The idea was that the system should be open to any class through feats, and if someone wanted to specialize they could do so with prestige classes.
    But as Morphic tide pointed out, the system is too feat hungry. If a fighter wants to be able to create magical weapons with special qualities, he would need four feats to do that. If he also wanted to create magical armor with special qualities, he would need in total seven feats. And from that large investment, he gets relatively little in return. Only three techniques, and expansions to two of them.

That means hardly anyone would want to really dive into the system. I can't remember the last time I made a character that had feat slots left open that I didn't know what to do with.

I considered several ways to solve the problem, ultimately the one I settled on is adding in a base class, changing the prestige class Auracite Adept into the base class Studied Inheritor. Admittedly the class is very much a 'build you own' class, somewhat inspired by the Fighter, but I feel it fits the flexible nature of the system.

The system is still open to be entered into with feats, but now the system also has more options for more in depth, dedicated builds.

I have some ideas for more prestige classes, which would also help with the problem, but I'm still working out the details of those, so they won't come until later.