Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] Paths of Blood and Sand (Open Recruitment)

I've updated Lucretia's Description and Personality. Writing up the actual backstory now.

Anyone can function as her Sponsored Gladiator provided they are willing to serve her first above any other master (in secret, of course). Feel free to browse the character sheet and see if her outlook would work for you.

Marcus Caius, Astropath Trancendent by TheArchitect

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Got the crunch done. Still working on background and fluff. He is a massive, terrifying figure, but a peaceful soul who is forced to fight. For a master that recognizes the way of peace, he will serve loyally. To any other he will do as he must to survive and only kill when he must.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic Mind View Post
    I've updated Lucretia's Description and Personality. Writing up the actual backstory now.

Anyone can function as her Sponsored Gladiator provided they are willing to serve her first above any other master (in secret, of course). Feel free to browse the character sheet and see if her outlook would work for you.
    If I had the choice of Sponsor for Grimbor, I would pick Lucretia. His appetites and aptitude for violence would make him a good match for her calculated viciousness. The degree to which she can control him (or how much he challenges that control) will probably generate plenty of opportunities for role-playing that tension.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Here's the sheet for Publius Sextus, gladiator extrordinaire! Famous for overcoming hideous monsters in the arena through skill, agility, and devotion to imperial values, he's the perfect example of why ordinary, honest humans deserve to be in charge of the world. I'm still not entirely clear on what I should be doing vis a vis equipment, so I'm assuming I just have light armor, but I'd certainly appreciate a breastplate.
    Last edited by Waxpapers; 2020-03-07 at 03:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerZero View Post
    As a whole yes, though I reserve the right to deny anything that I feel doesn't fit the theme of the setting
    This one, specifically.
    https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/une...gue-and-wizard
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

Added submissions to the first post. We have four gladiators and two nobles so far. We need one more noble.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    Psionics? No that really doesn't fit the setting
    Last edited by DodgerZero; 2020-03-09 at 03:13 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Silvanus Cassius Domitius is ready. The younger son of a noble, send out to the war to either learn to respect their empire or not be a problem anymore (read: die). But none of that happens when Silvanus empathizes with the outsiders, gets taken in by a Druid circle, and when he is found again he is determined to change the empire. Silvanus returns home upon his brother's death, as he is now the new heir to the family name. He'll do his best to blend into society but has new drive from his experiences in the war.

Mechanically, Silvanus is a Monster Slayer Ranger 4 / Moon Druid 2. Probably won't get more levels in Druid unless he can find a contact to learn from but we'll see how the story goes.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhinTheCape View Post
    Silvanus Cassius Domitius is ready. The younger son of a noble, send out to the war to either learn to respect their empire or not be a problem anymore (read: die). But none of that happens when Silvanus empathizes with the outsiders, gets taken in by a Druid circle, and when he is found again he is determined to change the empire. Silvanus returns home upon his brother's death, as he is now the new heir to the family name. He'll do his best to blend into society but has new drive from his experiences in the war.

Mechanically, Silvanus is a Monster Slayer Ranger 4 / Moon Druid 2. Probably won't get more levels in Druid unless he can find a contact to learn from but we'll see how the story goes.
    Interesting. Is Silvanus disillusioned enough to work with a gladiator whose existence is a crime against the empire?

9. - Top - End - #39

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Waxpapers View Post
    Interesting. Is Silvanus disillusioned enough to work with a gladiator whose existence is a crime against the empire?
    If you mean being a Warlock, that's no problem for Silvanus. Personality wise your flaw says you hate people who oppress you, which would fit well with Silvanus. They'd both have to play their cards right to not get caught right away, which could be interesting. Half of me wants to know more about your backstory and motivations but that would also be cool to discover in character as they learn to trust each other.

In general, Silvanus' gladiator could be inherited from his family or "picked out" after he gets back - so theoretically any gladiator could work with him, but I like the idea of having at least a sort-of ally.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

In general, Silvanus' gladiator could be inherited from his family or "picked out" after he gets back - so theoretically any gladiator could work with him, but I like the idea of having at least a sort-of ally.
    Sounds like Qu would be a good fit. I know I don't have much written, but I wanted to touch base with a potential sponsor before going into detail.

Qu is a quiet soul who would rather live in peace, and he would not have a problem working toward changing or bringing down the empire

11. - Top - End - #41

BardGuy

DodgerZero, how are you going to be picking players for the game? Do you want us to pair up ahead of time or will you select 3 gladiators and 3 nobles, and assign the pairs then? I could see Silvanus working with Qu or Publius at the moment.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

DodgerZero, how are you going to be picking players for the game? Do you want us to pair up ahead of time or will you select 3 gladiators and 3 nobles, and assign the pairs then? I could see Silvanus working with Qu or Publius at the moment.
    If you want to pair up beforehandthat's fine, otherwise you can wait to see who is chosen and then work on pairing up.

I'll probably put the final roster up later tonight

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Brok will work under any noble, however they will need to be able to exert control on him - he can be quite a headache. Which is why Lucretia would be the ideal choice as a noble sponsor for him, IMHO.

Cliffs notes on his background:

He was a member of an Orc tribe which was virtually wiped out by a very successful expedition launched by the nation's current ruler. As spoils of war, he was captured and sold in the slave market.

He finds the environment of the ludus no more problematic than that of his old tribe, as he had to fight for survival there too. In fact, some of the conditions are to his liking - he gets regular food and a roof over his head, and he gets to fight a lot. If he fights well, he usually gets treated well. If he doesn't, he could die - no difference there.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I've withdrawn my application from this one, as I'm now going to be playing in another game and only have the time to concentrate on one. I shall read how it goes with interest though!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Going to put in my submission for Taeslin Cicero as a noble:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wpTlJgstXQQoKhpGHq8LLkBqYHrowdjnczG03xaXFNI/edit?usp=sharing

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show
    A pale, lanky man with piercing dark green eyes and long straight black hair that falls to his shoulders. His thinness makes him appear taller than he is. Sharp and clearly defined facial features makes him appear cold and haughty.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Taeslin was raised as a member of a historical and powerful Elven noble house that was co-opted by the Empire to help maintain local rule. Members of House Cicero buy into this relationship to varying degrees, and Taeslin rests towards the more cynical end, raised by an equally cynical father. Taeslin sits on the House Cicero's internal council as its head of espionage and as its contact to the Empire's underworld. Externally, he maintains the impression of a typically haughty but competent noble. Internally, he considers the ignorance and hypocrisy of the common Empire noble grating. To those that know of is arcane abilities, he poses as a wizard of limited training.

Taeslin has moved to Aricia to be closer to one of the political centers of the Empire and has recently picked up a gladiator to sponsor, both to help with his cover and to gain him additional access. On a personal level, he considers gladiatorial combat to the death to itself be offputting and uncivilized but welcomes the material benefits it brings him.
    Returning player to GitP. Here's hoping my second stint will be better than my first.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

*game falls on its face*

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by KAmber View Post
    *game falls on its face*
    Looks like it. Too bad, the idea was cool.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

yeah... it sucks dude