New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default War of Shadows (IC)

Lotipac City stands as a shining example of light and balance. Those who live within the city are members of the government, their families, and any assistants (slavery is illegal) and household staff. Heads of the 9 churches of the 9 ancients have their headquarters here and most clerics do a pilgrimage at one point in their life. Most of the major guilds have an office here as well.

Guards keep the peace in the city and poverty is almost nonexistent here, though there is a definite class system in place.

This summer is coming to an end and its been long and hot with little to no rainfall all summer, the air seems heavy and still, with fall and the harvests just weeks away, many are looking forward to cooler temperatures and snowfall that will bring some moisture to the land. For now, merchants are offering cold drinks, and light clothing for sale, though crops are smaller and more withered than normal causing food shortages. This is a problem all over the world not just in this city. Even the mountain tops in the northern lands that have snow on their tops all year long have seen melting, and the great elven forests that are almost always green except in deep winter, have seen trees dying from lack of rain.

There is little activity going on in town as you arrive in early afternoon as people escape to building to escape the unbearable heat for this late season, even the guards don't move around as much.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Post Re: War of Shadows (IC)

Alyndra Aramiar - Elf Wizard (5) - HP 30/30 - AC 14

Lotipac. It wasn't so bad for such an important city. Not as good as her own woods of course, but then again nothing was. At least there weren't that many people and it was reasonably clean. The heat though was almost unbearable and she was ready to bet the local would complain about it endlessly, without once thinking about all the trees that had been chopped down to make some room for their city. Granted, the trees in her own forest weren't faring all that well themselves, but still…

When she entered the city itself, Alyndra was riding an horse-like creature with smoke colored, insubstantial hooves that made no noise on the streets' pavement. A donkey was following the horse, looking completely disinterested by what was going on around it. While it didn't seem to mind the saddlebags - they didn't look all that heavy in the first place - it seemed to be hot and probably wouldn't refuse to stop for water. The young elf herself was wearing some nice - but light - clothes showing quite a bit of skin, with a colourful scarf around her neck and a large white hat on her head.

When she finally arrived in front of the building where the council's chambers were located, Alyndra directed her mount to the nearest guard. “Good afternoon. The council is expecting me.” She showed the letter and her guild's stone. “If you could direct me, I would appreciate it. Oh and where can I find some shade and water for Jasper here?” She indicated her donkey whose ears perked at the mention of water.
    Last edited by Imladir; 2020-03-02 at 09:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: War of Shadows (IC)

Casmir meanders into town, slowly, but purposefully trudging towards the city. His brown hair in a half up/half down style, and his backpack heavy one his shoulders.

He dabs his brow with a already very damp handkerchief in an attempt to get rid of the sweat that is building up near constantly, though he still has a wide smile on his face, which doesn't appear to be leaving. He keeps himself to himself, but moves through the town with purpose, looking for someone to direct him.

"Hello sir, could you please point me to the Council Chambers?"

The guard looks up at the weary looking traveller and frowns, as if not certain that this man standing before him is the right sort who should be meeting the Council. Casmir moves his hand with a practiced deftness and produces both the letter, and a blue gemstone that indicates his good standing. The guard nods, and gives Casmir directions. Who immediately begins trudging off towards where the council meet, easily putting both the letter and the gemstone safely away.

As he approaches the building the Council are supposedly meeting in, he takes out the handkerchief one more time and dabs it across his forehead, and realising it's already full of sweat, he attempts to wring it out, before patting his forehead with it again.

He then knocks on the door, and waits.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

When both of you present yourself to the council chambers, another guard asks for your letter and stone again, this time touching the gem to one built into a bracer on their wrist. instead of turning the clear stone that anyone else touching it would happen to, it instead flares to a brighter color before a symbol flashes through it for just a brief moment. With a nod, they open the chamber door and allow you entry into the chambers.

This large room could easily hold hundreds of people in tiered seating facing down towards a large stone table behind sit 8 chairs flanking a large and extravagant chair sitting at the center table. Though neither of you has ever been in this room, you know that most government meetings are open to the public at any time.

Sitting in the center chair looking tired and very old is Almira, head of the world government (also a god on this world), shes shuffling papers in front of her and shaking her head. As you both enter, she looks up and smiles with a warmth that touches your soul and makes you feel very comfortable.

standing she speaks and gestures to some seats near her, "Thank you both for coming...I cannot stress the importance of this mission that I am to be sending you both on. The balance of our world is off, the elements that control our balance are not intuned with each other...I am sending out small groups of adventurers to find out what is going on while we and others in the Mages' guild search for ways to get everything back in balance."

She walks towards you and says in a deeply weary voice, "We came to this world long before your ancestors were born to find peace...if this balance isn't brought back together, our world will be destroyed. We do not wish to cause a panic though...you will be reporting to myself or one of my assistants on your progress, and be paid as per your standing with the guild. I cannot stress enough the importance of keeping this under wraps for now, we do not want to cause a mass panic. Do you have any questions before I give you your first mission? And please, speak freely."

She stands waiting hands folded before her, a scroll of paper in her hands.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra nodded to Casmir in greetings, and the way she did it, it seemed that she knew who he was. She cocked an eyebrow at the check the second guard performed on her gem but didn't say anything, curious but not intrigued enough to ask about it. She was however quite surprised to be received by Almira.

She went to the indicated seat as she listened quietly to what the government's leader had to say. While trying to find the cause of whatever imbalance made sense to her, trying to have the Mages' Guild find a solution sounded a bit premature: if you didn't know the cause of a problem, how could you try to fix it? Though maybe those efforts were focused on addressing the symptoms of the problem for the time being. That would make sense she supposed.

Asked if she had questions, Alyndra nodded. “Who are those assistants we can report to?” She eyed the scroll in Almira's hands curiously. “You mentioned others were on similar missions, I suppose any communication is to go through you or your staff? Finally, can we request the guilds' help if needed? I know Casmir here is competent,” even if he was barely more than a child she thought, “but depending on what we need to do to get the answers we seek, just the two of us might not be enough.”

6. - Top - End - #6

ClericGuy

Casmir returns the greeting of his apparent new partner, a smile playing across his face and lips.

Casmir remains silent, his brow furrowed in a thoughtful way, as he considers, he doesn't say anything for a while, allowing Alyndra's questions to be asked, and answered.

Afterwards he speaks. "Where are we going, and what do we know about it? After all if this whole world is dying it must be somewhere... else. It would be good to know if we DO know anything at all, so we can prepare for it."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

"I will introduce you to my primary assistant, a delightful halfling by the name of illidari. He reports only to me, and is good about keeping his mouth shut.....well in regards to private matters....he should be here shortly to be introduced."

"As for guild assistance, I would rather you go through myself or illidari, we would keep this knowledge among a small group for now. If the need arises, I can bring needed assistance."

"I am sending you to the northern ranges where an ancient temple dedicated to shantu. Has been used in centuries, but it's one of the keystone's of our world. You are to investigate and report back anything that seems off about it."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

“Illidari?” Alyndra nodded. “Understood. For the guilds, I wasn't planning on giving any details. I was more thinking of…” The young elf spent a moment to think about it. “Well, if we'd need to deal with a group of bandits because they're sitting on information we urgently need for example. Or because we'd need someone to…acquire…or reacquire should I say…something without making a fuss. The sort of things that don't imply giving anyone any information about the over all situation, but where waiting for a request to reach you and the answer to come back would be impractical.” Alyndra stretched her hands to the side with a moue. “Maybe there won't be any such situations, but it's always best to be prepared.”

“Anything that seems off?” Alyndra seemed a bit doubtful. After a second though, she grinned and looked at Casmir. “Well, it looks like that one will be on you. You're far more likely to notice suspicious things in an old temple than I am.”

9. - Top - End - #9

ClericGuy

Casmir looks mock offended.

"Shantu's temples are never dangerous! They're merely... designed to restrict access..."

He smiles widely.

"It'll be exciting!" He turns to Almira. "Where is it we'll be going? Do we have any information on it at all? Or are we..." he indicates himself and Alyndra. "... the first to go exploring."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

"you two will be the first up there that we have known for over 5000 years, I cannot promise it is entirely empty. It lays beyond the northern most clan borders at the foot of an ancient volcano. Some recent earthquakes may have disrupted some of the structure, and any number of creatures may have moved in."

She holds up the scroll to one of you, "these are the original plans from when the temple was originally built. It may have been altered, shantu is known as a bit of a trickster....you are a cleric of his, you should know it all to well."

"This is a simple search and bring back information, the two of you should be sufficient....if the temple is no longer a viable place for the balance, bring us word as soon possible. Once we have a better idea of things we will see what can be done."

She holds out her hand and asks for your guild gems, momentarily.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra nodded. “We'll look into this.” She took the scroll but didn't bother opening it yet as they'd have time for that on the way and handed her gem in return, curious to see what Almira was going to do with it.

She briefly considered asking about her book, but quickly decided not to: were would be the fun in that? Instead, she started to think about what she knew of the region around the temple and plan the best route to get there as soon as possible.

Knowledge (Geography): 19
    Last edited by Imladir; 2020-03-07 at 10:31 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

ClericGuy

Casmir nods and hands over his gem.

"This is going to be exciting... I'm always up for an adventure!"

He watches and waits to see what she does with the gems.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Raidah jogs up to the guard in front of the Council building. Despite the heat, she's barely sweating, despite her gleaming armor and the heavy pack on her back. Her red gem is mounted on her right shoulder, and her black hair is tied in a tight bun. She reaches into her pack and pulls out a binder, rifles through it, and pulls out a letter.

"Raidah, I'm here for the meeting. If I could just get by..."

She smiles warmly, inviting the guard to smile with her.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

The guard's face is as immovable as if carved from solid granite, looks at the letter then holds out his hand for your gem as well. Like the others, it flares briefly with a strange symbol flashing for just the briefest of moments. The guard nods then stand aside and hold open the door for you indicating to enter and hand you back your gem and letter again.

---------------

Almira holds both of your gems in her hand and fidgets with them briefly before her attention is drawn to the sound of the door opening in the chamber behind you. She smiles and welcomes the newcomers and gestures you to come down to join them.

Before she can open her mouth to speak further, another door opens from behind her chair and a tall stack of papers and books walks into view with a pair of leather-clad legs under the papers.

"Lady Almira. I'm so sorry I'm late! Hope I didn't miss meeting the new kids!!!" The high pitched voice from behind the stack sounds childish, but a well-dressed halfling sets the stack on the table and bows formally to the group in general, hands behind his back rocking just slightly in his eagerness. His clothes are well worn but still elegant in appearance. His jet black hair his stylishly cut in a modern fashion and his serious demeanor are offset by a mischievous glint in his eyes.

Almira closes her eyes and takes a deep breath (you can ALMOST hear her rolling her eyes) before she smiles and gestures to the group.

"I believe there is one more expected, Lady Elva is not one to keep us waiting if she can help it. I did not think she would be able to come, but..." She gives a small shrug. "Why don't you introduce yourselves to each other while we await her arrival."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Elva hurried through the streets of Lotipac, all the while cursing the feline that had delayed her so much. How had it even managed to get that high up into the clock tower anyway? And couldn't those kids have kept a better eye on their cat in the first place? And for that matter, couldn't she have just ignored their request in the first place? 'Chronic hero syndrome? No, you've got chronic hero syndrome' she muttered to no one in particular.

She arrived at the council building gasping and just about ready to collapse. "Hi... *pant* sorry, one... *gasp* second." After taking a moment to catch her breath, she addressed the guard again "I'm Elva, My presence was requested here?" She pulled a letter from her blue tunic, together with a small pendant set with a black stone and presented both to the guard.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

The guard takes your gem and goes through a similar thing with checking the gem, before nodding and opening the door just as Almira is saying about waiting for you.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm so sorry for being late! There was a... actually, never mind." Elva quickly caught herself. She didn't want to sound like she was making excuses, and being late to the meeting because she had decided to rescue a cat from a tower along the way was a pretty poor excuse to begin with. Instead, she quickly straightened her blue tunic and tried to restore a modicum of professionality to her bearing.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra looked up in Raidah's direction, then turned to Almira's assistant, Illidari she supposed. She cocked an eyebrow at the mention of the "new kids", pretty sure that - excluding Almira herself - she was older than all of the others combined. In fact, she knew perfectly well that barely a few years ago, Casmir had only been a baby. Granted, she was young for an elf, but still. Kids

None of that prevented her from answering to the halfling's bow with a polite nod, but before she had the time to say anything, someone else arrived a bit out of breath. “Well, it looks like my questions about the guilds' help was a bit premature.” Turning to the two newcomers, she added. “I'm Alyndra, this is Casmir.”

The young elf seemed to hesitate for a second as she glanced at Almira, but in the end simply decided to stop there and let her brief the two humans females about what would be their mission. Plus, it allowed her to focus on her stone in Almira's hands.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Raidah shows no indication she has even noticed that she's late as she smiles at Alyndra.

"Good to meet you. I'm Raidah. I assume you'll be the one keeping us safe from all manner of magical nastiness?"

20. - Top - End - #20

ClericGuy

Casmir simply makes a gesture from the top of his head with two fingers by way of saying "hello" since he's been introduced, though he wonders how the elf knows who he is... as he doesn't remember meeting her, but that's not in of itself odd.

He looks to the newcomers, and smiles genially, and wants to put them at ease.

"Looks like we'll be visiting my god's temple. It should be exciting! If it's not been used in 5,000 years it will be quite a change!"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

"An old temple? Those are always interesting! Though..." A frown crossed Elva's brow. "I do hope traps aren't literally part of your god's portfolio? I was once asked to retrieve some old scroll from an old abandoned fane dedicated to a minor god of traps and vaults and such. That was ...exciting... but not exactly something I'd like to do again."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra tilted her head to the side - and a bit upward considering her size - as she considered Raidah. “I don't know about keeping you safe, but I can try to make sure the other guy suffers from more 'magical nastiness' than you do.” Though neither were really her specialties…

At the mention of traps, the elf grimaced, obviously not finding the idea particularly exciting. After a brief glance at Almira, she added. “The temple is a 'keystone' ensuring that the world remains stable. Said balance has been disturbed recently - the current heat wave being one of those disturbances I suppose - and it may have to do with earthquakes in the vicinity of that temple. We're being sent there to see if the temple has been impacted - or if anything there seems 'off'. It apparently hasn't been used in 5'000 years, but the earthquakes could have weakened the structure and allowed local creatures to wander in.” She paused for a second, making sure she had gone over all the main points, then concluded. “We're merely to gather information and report back.”

Alyndra waved the unopened scroll. “Those are the original plans of the Temple. It might not have much to do with the actual layout, but…” She shrugged. “It's a start.”

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

"Heh, I had been wondering if something was off about the weather. But then again, I wonder that just about every summer." Elva shrugged. She really didn't like the hot weather much, preferring the colder temperatures of spring and autumn.

"If this temple really is so important then we'd best get going as soon as possible. You.." at this, Elva nodded towards Alyndra "...and Casmir can fill us in about the particulars on the road, right?"
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-03-09 at 07:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

"5,000 years with nobody coming by once a week to water the plants? Yes, the place could be a bit run down by now."

Raidah looks around more nervously than her jovial tone would suggest.

"Well, no time like the present. Unless there's anything more you have for us about what we're walking into?"

She looks expectantly at Almira and Illidari.

Also, Knowledge:History for anything Raidah knows about this temple or why it's been abandoned for so long:
    (1d20+8)[20]

25. - Top - End - #25

ClericGuy

Casmir shrugs, a smile on his face.

"I can try... but as you can probably guess it's a little older than me, and so I won't know much about this specific temple. However I can perhaps fill you guys in on generic stuff."

((Knowledge (Religion) - (1d20+3)[13]))

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Almira gestures everyone to sit, first asking the two newcomers to give her their gems.

"10,000 years ago, your ancestors settled this world when our old one died from a magical war. When we settled this world the gods decided we did not want a repeat of history and created 5 magical locks on this world to keep the outsiders from finding us in our new home. Shantu, Alturist, Kol'nari, Lamatu, and I each took one of our temples in the corners of the world and used them as keystones of the world and grounding points for the wards. We felt it best to not draw attention to these places and removed all personnel beyond a caretaker."

"I will be sending you as close as I can...roughly a one day hike up the mountain. Direct teleportation is forbidden due to the magical nature of the temples. Despite the heat in the lower altitudes, I'd suggest gathering some warmer clothes, nights up in those ranges can drop quite quickly this time of year."

as shes talking them gems in her hands, she has been rolling around almost in a nervous gesture, though nothing in her posture or manner suggests otherwise. As she finishes she opens her palms with 2 gems in each hand, and they begin to glow hovering above her hands and spinning rapidly. She does have a moment of surprise when a symbol flashes from each of them that lasts only a mere heartbeat before vanishing again. When she hands them back to each of you, you see her symbol has now been etched into the gem with elegance. (her symbol is a tower with 2 dragons entwined around it). ShadowImmor, yours is only slightly different, incorporating Shantu's symbol into that design.

"These have now been marked with my personal blessing. When you return to report, this will allow the guards to know that you are under my orders to be seen without a formal appointment."

Spoiler: Shadowimmor (knowledge religion check):
    Show
    Most of Shantu's temples are the same with some minor variance, he is a god of travel and mediators, so often his temples resemble inns and courthouses. Often travelers of any religion can request a room for a small donation to the temple, and they provide local support to the local law enforcement.

Spoiler: notaspiderswarm (knowledge history check):
    Show
    Almira pretty much explained what you might of known, but these temples were never fully given a public reason why they were abandoned, so you now know more than whats commonly known.
    Last edited by sarlon; 2020-03-10 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Derp moment...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

The gravity of their job was slowly starting to sink in for Elva as she received her pendant back from Almira. This was sounding more and more like a job with some very high stakes riding on them. Still, she wasn't going to let that get her down.

"Ehm, Lady Almira? you mentioned something about a caretaker being left at each temple? If something was going on, shouldn't the caretaker have send out some message by now? And if he couldn't what would it take to incapacitate them? I don't think the caretaker for a place like this would just be some crusty old hermit or something."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

“Hmm, sure.” Alyndra nodded to Elva. “Though at this point I think we went over pretty much everything we both know.”

The elf smirked at Casmir 'supposition' that the temple was 'a little older' than he was but didn't say anything about that. The story Almira told wasn't anything new to her of course, but hearing it from her directly was something else entirely of course, but while she really wanted to ask questions about that, it didn't seem to be the right time so she could only hope to be able to some other time. When the goddess explained she'd teleport them, Alyndra mumbled a “Nice.” That would certainly take care of most of the trip.

She seemed fascinated by what happened to her gem when she was given it back, trying to pierce its secret for a moment, barely paying attention to what was said next. After a moment she placed the gem back where it belonged, then asked once Almira had answered Elva's question she said with a look at the others. “So I suppose we'll come back tomorrow just after dawn to be sent there? We should have the time we need to prepare clothes and whatever we need before night fall, right?”

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

((sorry guys, I thought I posted before I went to bed last night))

"We don't know why the caretakers have suddenly stopped reporting to us, they are fairly reclusive, to begin with. Shantu's caretaker is named Albright, a human of rather interesting background....he should still be tending the grounds and keeping the locals entertained."

"I've booked you all rooms at the Dire Rat here in town down near the city center," Illidari speaks up, "report to me tomorrow morning after breakfast, and I'll get you on your way."

Spoiler: Geography check that DM missed entirely
    Show
    The range they are describing can only be situated at the base of the Dragon's Breath Volcano, an ANCIENT volcano that hasn't seen activity since before your known history, occasional rumbles of earthquakes are not uncommon in that mountain range (mild plate tectonic activity, but that's a foreign concept to your character). Mostly settled by Dwarves and gnomes with a RARE human settlement in that area.

30. - Top - End - #30

ClericGuy

Casmir nods, his face breaking out in a bright smile as he takes his gem back, he looks at it with bright interest for just a moment, before putting it away and clearly resolving to looking into it later.

"It sounds like a wonderful adventure, and free room and board. Very good! Albright, excellent. Sounds like a smart fellow..." He waits to see if anyone gets the joke before continuing. "Either way, a nice bed and some good food definitely wouldn't go amiss. I'm sure this inn will provide us room and board worthy of Shantu."

He stretches in place.

"Is there anything further we need or you can tell us before we head off for the night?"