order of combat:
    Tygerwolf: 22
    Bad Guy: 21 (see OOC post)
    Imladir: 20
    Orc: 15
    Detess: 5
    -------------------------------

Tyger:
    After being shouted at, seeing the orc get bigger and shout something about mountains and kittens (inside joke between players), then charge in with ax swinging, you're fairly certain you should join suit....moving in to help flank the guy. (you can now starting punching).

Bad guy:
    Spoiler: resist color surge
    Show
    (1d20+4)[12]

If he succeds in resisting the spray, he swings at the orc.

swinging sword of black material: (1d20+9)[23]
    If hits: (1d20+6)[7] (if hits please roll fort save)

Imladir:
    You're spell goes off covering everyone in haste. (you're also alone, about 30 feet uphill (no height advantage) but everyone is surrounding the guy)

Orc:
    fort (incase he gets hit) (1d20+10)[27], if he succedes his attack will connect.

Detess:
    your spell goes off, and you manage to get behind him beside the monk behind the guy flanking both the orc and the human.
    Last edited by sarlon; 2020-11-15 at 10:37 PM.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: War of Shadows (IC)

"HAI!" Josiah bellowed and hammered his fists into his enemy's kidneys and lower spine.
    ((NO, it is NOT "Called Shot" because you can't "aim" FLURRY OF BLOWS with pinpoint accuracy))

Flurry of Blows (1d20+5)[20] (1d20+5)[16]
    Damage (1d8+3)[11] (1d8+3)[7]
    Tabhain faoi na réaltaí. “Reach for the stars.”

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Elva hesitated for a moment as she prepared het next move. the man hadn't been fighting like she'd have expected him to at all. She had expected more spells, and less sword-swinging. Still, if he was holding back... Dismissing her misgivings, she darted in, a spell ready at her finger tips.

Spoiler: actions
    Show

move action: close in to flank the man
    standard action: cast touch of idiocy. This is a melee touch attack that inflicts a 1d6 penalty to all three mental stats (can't drop them below 1) for 50 minutes. No save, but I do need to land the touch attack.

melee touch attack: (1d20+3)[11] note: if this guy doesn't have blindsight, he's denied dex to AC, and I get +2 to the attack roll from being invisible (ends after casting the spell). Assuming I'm successfully flanking, add a further +2.

mental stat penalty: (1d6)[6]
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground

A split second after both fists give the enemy a wallop, Josiah felt strange--the young monk felt floaty and weird, almost like he could see the battle going on as if viewing it from above, but something was different. Josiah could almost True-See the guy in the hood; this was not some wild eyed demonic looking thing, but a human. There was a strange mark on his face--a tattoo maybe?--and a glow of strange energy around his head.
    Josiah was actually beginning to question if he'd actually hit the man--even though he know full well his fists had indeed connected with something solid. A heartbeat later Josiah felt back in the thick of combat and no time had passed as far as he could tell.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

The orc looks confused for a moment at the axe in his hands before a grin crosses his face that sends chills down anyone's spine who looks at him...he raises his axe and swings it at the hooded man.

swing sword: (1d20+12)[18]

If it hits, Damage: (3d6+11)[23]

(someone remind me how long this enlarge person lasts? we're into round 2 since its been cast just for the record)
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra Aramiar - Elf Wizard (5) - HP 30/30 - AC 14

Alyndra hesitated: she had other spells to cast of course, but nothing that would have a huge impact on the fight as it was at the moment. Plus, she might need some of those later on. Since not doing anything wasn't really an option, she drew her bow and aimed it at their foe: she wasn't really an expert with the thing, far from it, but still, she knew how to use it.

Even though it was the first time she would do so against a sentient target… As she let her arrow loose, she said urgently “Take him alive if you can!” They had lots of questions after all.

Spoiler
    Show

Move action: Draw the bow
    Standard action: Shoot: 25 to hit, dealing 4 piercing damage if it hits.
    Free action: Talk.
    Last edited by Imladir; 2020-11-20 at 08:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

order of combat:
    Tygerwolf: 22
    Bad Guy: 21 (see OOC post)
    Imladir: 20
    Orc: 15
    Detess: 5
    ---------------------------------

Tyger:

You definately feel the double thud of your fists connecting, and a grunt of pain from the man in front of you, at the same time hearing Alyndra shouting to take him alive.

Evil guy:

He grumbles a few nonsensical words (no attack of opportunity, not spellcasting), before dropping his weapon and throwing back the hood from his face. This is the face of a young human male, probably no older than 25. There is a strange tattoo covering most of the left side of his face. In broken common he says stop hurting? hitting? he means you no harm. (least thats his words)

Imladir:

You're shot connects seconds after he drops his weapon, and though there is another grunt of pain the man still stands.

Orc:

Obvious conflicting emotions run through his face as hes ordered to stand down, his eyes gleaming with the heat of battle, he checks his last blow, which sadly does come a moment to late and the man falls to the ground, shaking and bleeding, but still alive, but just barely.

Detess:

you connect with the guy as well just as he begins falling, and to everyone else your eyes glaze over and you stand rigid (no save I'll explain in private)
    ---------------------------------

EVERYONE ELSE: Please roll me reflex saves, imladir give yourself a +2 bonus since you're on more stable ground.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah, having heard the request, even in the thick of battle, channeled his Ki--just as Master Liandra had taught him--into pulling his punch halfway into the physical impact so it would only stun.

Stunning Fists (1d20+3)[5]
    dmg (1d8)[1]
    Spoiler: Stunning Fists
    Show
    Stunning Fist forces a foe damaged by your unarmed attack to make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Wis modifier), in addition to dealing damage normally. A defender who fails this saving throw is stunned for 1 round (until just before your next turn). A stunned character drops everything held, can’t take actions, loses any Dexterity bonus to AC, and takes a –2 penalty to AC.
    NOTE: This attack MUST be declared BEFORE the attack.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reflex Save (1d20+8)[12]

((If this roll goes south, we'll say the attack goes poorly because of lack of solid ground))
    Balance Check ((just in case)) (1d20+4)[15]

((if the check goes well... let's say the attack goes "ffft!" because of lack of practice, hm?))

10. - Top - End - #280
    Orc in the Playground

All of you aren't sure what happened first....the mild earthquake that shakes the very ground beneath your feet, Alyndra falling down to the ground and rolling slightly downhill before coming to a complete stop (uninjured except for your pride and dignity), the man you have been handling falling to the ground, Elva standing stock still like she grabbed a live wire and seems to be frozen in place, gently falling to the ground at the same time the man does, or Josiah's fists whiffing just over the top of the guys head as he also struggles to maintain balance (but remains upright). The normally docile jasper flicks up his tail and takes off at a dead run down along the tree line braying his fear (animals don't like earthquakes).

The earthquake lasts several moments with trees from the forest behind you swaying dangerously, but remain mostly firmly planted, though a loud crashing sound from further in the forest makes you wonder if some didn't make it or lost branches. The entire time Elva is seemingly lost in her own thoughts, and right as the quake ends, her grasp on the man lessens and though dazed seems to be alright.

coming down the steps of the temple a young woman in a red tunic, black leather leggings, long black hair....and bare feet of all things, carrying a wicked looking mace in her hand and looks at all of you, the large orc, and the bleeding nearly unconscience man. Though she barely looks 20 she speaks with a voice used to issuing commands. "Who so dares to defile the sacred temple of Alturist! You dare shed blood on sacred land! Speak!"

You have absolutely no problem hearing her despite the waves from the nearby beach, you have little doubt of who this is, though few have ever met her. This appears to be the caretaker of the temple, she wears a holy symbol of a simple bird in flight (the holy symbol of Alturist).

11. - Top - End - #281
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra stood up, grumbling, obviously not hurt but not having enjoyed the tumble. She squinted as she considered the whole situation, her gaze turning in the direction Jasper had gone to. She glanced at Midnight, “Can you go get Jasper please?”

Finally, she turned to the temple's caretaker. “We are envoys of Almira.” More or less, but it would at least make things clear enough for the time being. “He,” she pointed at the man, “is working for the Enemy. The one to whom we owe our presence on this world. Your temple is not the first one he has visited but alas, we were too late for Albright and his temple.”

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah kept quiet, but he knew how to give homage to what would in other religious views would be considered an Avatar: he knelt, his hands held open, palm toward the Avatar, at head level, while his head was kept lowered.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Elva gingerly got back to her feet. She didn't remember falling, and she considered it a small miracle that she hadn't hurt herself going down. A quick look around her revealed an imperious looking young woman standing on the steps leading to the temple. She guessed that she was the temple's guardian. She caught the end of Alyndra's answer to the other woman's question, which fully brought her back to the now.

A quick check revealed that the man had been knocked down as well and was seemingly unconcious, but alive. She'd seen... something... when she hit him with her spell. She wasn't entirely certain about the details, but something had been... wrong. It had been this man, and she'd seen him heading to Albright's temple but... the mood had been wrong. More pensive and regretful than what she'd expected.

She kept quiet for now, letting the wizard inform the temple's keeper. She could share what she'd seen afterwards.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Orc in the Playground

The woman continues down the steps and looks at all of you with a pensive look on her face, she mutters a few words and the very ground beneath your feet glows as bright as a noon day sun for a moment before reducing to a soft glow. She walks with confidence to the downed man, a sharp gutteral word to the orc has him bowing his head and stepping a few paces back his head bowed, and though his axe is lowered, its still in readiness to bring on swinging.

"Speak the truth and let us understand what is going on. Who is this man? Why are you at my sanctuary, creeping in like thieves in the night?"

(zone of truth, 20ft radious centered near hear, gets almost everyone but alydra (will save negates and can lie if you so desire))

Spoiler: spell description
    Show
    Creatures within the emanation area (or those who enter it) can’t speak any deliberate and intentional lies. Each potentially affected creature is allowed a save to avoid the effects when the spell is cast or when the creature first enters the emanation area. Affected creatures are aware of this enchantment. Therefore, they may avoid answering questions to which they would normally respond with a lie, or they may be evasive as long as they remain within the boundaries of the truth. Creatures who leave the area are free to speak as they choose.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Elva braced instinctively as she felt the spell take hold, but after a moment's resistance she let it pass. She didn't like spells that messed with her head, but she also knew this'd all be a lot easier if the woman had no doubts about the truth of their words.

"It's as Alyndra said." She responded to the woman's question. "that man attacked Albright's temple, destroyed or captured the essence held within, and presumably killed Albright." She pointed at the blacks word laying near the man's hand. "We founds chip of that blade in the wound that killed Albright, and Illidari recognized it as a creation of the enemy pretty much on sight."

"So I..." Elva grimaced as the spell constricted her voice. "Well, it seems I can't apologize for trying to take out or capture a threat to this world the first proper chance I get."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah spoke quietly.
    "I am Josiah of the Order of the Open Palm. I attacked this man because it was said by either Elva or Alyndra that he was the one who attacked the other temple. I am only recently of this group, and I beg your pardon."
    The young monk also went on to describe his experience when striking the man.
    Once finished he said, "I place this matter in the hands of Justice."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra looked at the circle of light, then down at her feet. Noticing that she wasn't included, she simply shrugged and waited for the others to comment on everything: she wasn't the one the woman wanted to hear just then.

Still, she felt the need to add, “And we are not creeping in the dark, we've been sent here directly by Illidari via a teleportation scroll.” She considered adding that she was expected to come back with them but in the end decided to wait for a bit: one thing at a time…

18. - Top - End - #288
    Orc in the Playground

the woman lowers the mace, stamps her foot once sharply causing the lighted circle to fall dark. She walks towards the bleeding man and grabs him firmly, throwing him over her shoulder and gestures all of you to follow her into the temple (considering this woman is about 5'2" and maybe 100 pounds soaking wet, the fact she lifted this guy like a rag doll is pretty impressive).

This temple is much more modest then the other temple you visited, 2 stories, and facing what you assume is almost perfectly west. Though the main room is dark, high wide windows and several mirrors placed in strategic places around the room show it would be quite well lit when the sun comes in. Her bare feet barely make a sound as she leads you deeper into the temple, the floor smooth marble. She stops before a door and opens it tossing the man in before shutting it again and locking it firmly. "We will deal with him later....that will contain him in the meantime, he will not perish before I have a word with him."

She leads you further into the temple, past several empty rooms, to a chamber much like the one you found at the other temple. A large red-hued crystal floating inches above the ground stands in the middle. several padded seats surround this object and at one place it looks like someone left it in a hurry.

"I was in the middle of morning prayers when I felt your presence without....please.....sit...." she gestures to the other seats, before carefully seating herself at one place crossing her legs under her. The simple seats are low stools, while they don't look comfortable there are plenty for everyone. "now...if Illidari did indeed send you to safeguard this crystal, it means Almira is as worried about the signs as I am...what news do you bring? What of the others?"

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

As the woman started walking off, Elva realized she'd forgotten something. The man's word still lay in the dust, where he'd dropped it. She really didn't want to touch that sword, but she liked the idea of leaving it lying there, where anyone could just pick it up and walk off with it even less.

With a sigh she walked back to the weapon, taking her cloak off as she did so. She wrapped the thick cloth around her hands in a bid to protect herself from any influence the weapon might exert and reached down towards the sword, muttering "I really hope you're just a dumb weapon..." as she did so.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ah, I've heard tales of a Lycan who did that and still got tossed halfway across the yard because of his loyalties to the deities," Josiah spoke of a fairy tale he'd read at the monastery as a warning to Elva. "In other words...? I wouldn't do that if I were you."
    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 2020-12-01 at 06:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Elva hesitated for a moment at the monk's words. "Maybe, but that's just one more reason to not leave this lying around here. I'll be careful though." Then she completed the movement and picked up the sword.

Elva was prepared for a lot of things. She half expected the sword to burn her hands or otherwise try to prevent her from picking it up. She'd steeled herself for another vision, or maybe even an attempt to subvert her will.

Despite all that, she nearly dropped the weapon when a little voice spoke up in her mind. '....hi?'

She stared at the sword for a moment in surprise and shock. She had been prepared for just about everything, except for this. 'Ummmm... hi to you to?' she thought back at it, almost immediately regretting the lame response. Not sure what else to say, she instead decided it probably, hopefully, couldn't hurt to try to be polite. 'I'm Elva, who are you?'

"Huh." After a minute or so of standing still, bracing for the worst, nothing bad had happened. The weapon itself had suddenly lost its unusual appearance, appearing like any other length of old steel, rust-spots and all, but apart from that, she was fine. "Seems it wasn't the sword that was special after all." After a moment's hesitation she wrapped the weapon in her cloak again, then stuffed it in the bedroll hanging from her pack. That'd have to do for now. She'd take another look at it once they where done at the temple.

Having packed away the sword, she quickly hurried to follow the rest to the large building.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-12-02 at 03:04 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra followed the woman cautiously but curiously looking around. She didn't comment about her tossing their foe in a cell - after all, as long as he answered their questions she didn't really care what happened to him - and took the offered seat. Not that she really felt the need for it, but it wouldn't do to make things awkward at that point after all.

“I am indeed tasked with safeguarding the crystals. And we were asked to bring both crystals and caretakers back to Illidari and Almira at the capital.” And considering what she'd just seen, she had no idea how they were about to do that if said caretakers didn't agree...

“As for the others...” She shook her head “We only know about Albright and his crystal: dead and lost. Yours is the second Temple we came to.”

23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground

Having nothing to add to the conversation, Josiah found a seat and assumed the Lotus position and simply quieted himself to better be able to listen and absorb.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Orc in the Playground

((sorry for the delay folks, life has been hectic with the holidays and long hours at work))

The woman listens to your story thoughtfully, and glances at a map pinned up on the wall a few dots glowing different colors in different areas of the world (easy to recognize the map, it's your world you live in now, think a geographic world map with landmasses, terrain, mountains, etc drawn in fine details). She frowns slightly and stands to walk over and look at it closer, a finger tracing over something.

"I don't want to believe Albright is dead, though I have no reason to disbelieve you..." there's a small hitch in her voice betraying her emotion, "I will return with you to Almira, along with the essence. Though I might suggest letting me travel there myself and your group going on to the other two temples. I'll take that (you're not sure of the word she says, but it sounds like a very unpleasant word to call someone) with me. Did you bring the orbs?"

When handed one by the orc she walks to the crystal hanging in the middle of the room and taps her mace against it, and the most beautiful music comes out and fills the whole room, the song plays in your heart and mind, and images of warm summer days, laughter, family, and every good feeling and memory all at once. the crystal separates into a thousand tiny pieces, and in the center, a living flame. It seems to dance before your eyes as it floats into the orb she holds in her hands. Even as the song fades, you still have that feeling of peace sinking into your bones.

"I will need a few moments to gather a few things, why dont you make sure our... guest....is ready for transport?" she sets the flaming red orb carefully on a padded stool before leaving out a small door in the room, presumably her personal quarters.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

"I'll go and check up on him." Elva got up from her seat after the temple guardian's suggestion. "There's a spell or two I want to cast anyway, to try and get a better feeling of the 'why' behind his actions, I assume that is okay? None of them should cause him harm"

"I doubt I need much in the way of back-up, especially if he's still unconscious." She said to the rest. "Alyndra, I still don't really get how you sensed that this temple was in danger, but if that's a trick you could repeat for picking our next destination..."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah simply got up and walked to the entry of the temple to wait for everyone to finish their deeds.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra Aramiar - Elf Wizard (5) - HP 30/30 - AC 18

Alyndra didn't comment much of anything about what the local priest said, simply listening without much expression. She wasn't quite sure she wanted to let the woman go alone though: considering what Illidari had said about the guardians - and needing to get them even if they didn't want to - she imagined it was possible for the woman to pretend to comply before she left to parts unknown.

In the end she didn't say anything about that though: she didn't really have a reason to doubt this guardian would do what it had just said for one, and at least as importantly, they had no way to force her to. So all she could do was trust her and hope for the best.

Looking at Elva, she shrugged, “I have a… Well, let's just say that if I were a member of the Mage's Guild, I'd be wearing a white dress.” She frowned, “Though I'm not exactly sure where that came from to be honest.” She seemed to hesitate for a moment, her head tilted to the side. “I might be able to do something to pick the next destination, but it's with no guarantee. And it'll only be possible just before we leave.”

Shaking her head, she followed Elva. “Let's pick that dude up. Toldec is kind of needed for that I guess.” She certainly wasn't going to carry the guy himself after all. “Though if he is awake, there are a few questions I'd like to ask him.” she paused, considering, then sniffed, “Not that he'd answer mind. And even if he did, we wouldn't be able to trust his answers.” She might have something able to help with that, but she wasn't sure she wanted to do it when they still had two temples to visit.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

You find the man in the exact room he was left in. Though still beaten and dried blood is caked on his clothes, he sits on the floor in the middle of the room, his back to the door, cross legged his hands lightly on his knees. He doesn't even flinch when the door opens and he's removed most of his outer wear and has folded them neatly on the ground. His clothes are simple and unadorned, plain unbleached fabric, and sturdy leather pants and boots. his hair is actually a very very vivid shade of red and falls to the collar of his shirt. Strips of fabric has been torn from the robes he was wearing and cover some of the wounds.

He makes no sound as you enter the room, though he turns his head slightly at the sound of the door opening.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Elva grimaced as she entered the room holding the man and felt another Zone of Truth take hold. Given the nature of the place it wasn't that odd, and it would help them here, but that didn't make the feeling of the spell any less unpleasant. She placed her pack at the back of the room, and then approached the man, sitting down in front of him, just out of reach.

The zone of truth made most of the tricks she'd thought of for getting him tot alk useless, but she'd figured it'd be best to try and surprise him with truths anyway. "So, Elrdrix. Why don't you tell us what happened at the temple of Shantu."

30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground

The young man barely flinches as you say words, but shakes his head and shrugs his shoulders, finally opening his eyes to look at you directly. His eyes are entirely blood red, and he looks at you quite frankly quirking an eyebrow, and folding his arms over his chest, attempting to look hauty.

When he does speak his words are nothing you've ever heard before, "Collitate, netiuy obrik (this word is almost spat out). Etiru martik alush lovitek!"