New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: War of Shadows (IC)

Elva sighed. Well, she supposed getting the full explanation in one go was too much to ask for. "You got your sword, and you got your mission. You arrived at the temple. There, you and Albright fought, and you won. Then you made your way to the Essence guarded by Albright, and either took it or destroyed it. These are all facts." She took a moment to regain her composure, the continued, making certain to keep looking the man, or whatever he was, in the eyes. "Now, what this looks like is that you went to the tempel to steal the essence, which means you no more get to claim self defense than the thief who killed the guardian of the vault they intended to rob."

Elva gave him a moment to let that sink in. "Now, you're about to be shipped off to court, and that court is extremely likely to see things as I just described them. So this might be your one and only chance to explain what it was you actually intended to do." She considered for a moment, then decided to add one more thing. "Making me understand what is going on here can only help you. By some minor miracle I'm currently not completely convinced you're the enemy of all living things I've been led to believe you are, but that doubt is fading."
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

2. - Top - End - #302
    Orc in the Playground

His eyes widen and he angles his head to the side slightly, both eyebrows climbing into his hair line. "Hiuy averti norshu? Casaan ofti Terensit niy Otiry?" He points over this shoulder with a thumb in the general direction of the door.
    Last edited by sarlon; 2021-01-13 at 02:33 PM.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra Aramiar - Elf Wizard (5) - HP 30/30 - AC 18

As Alyndra considered the man, it was obvious she wasn't all that impressed. Her gaze stopped on Elva for a moment after her lengthy appeal to cooperate, and she cocked an eyebrow. “You understand what this guy is saying?”

Not that it was something impossible - she could do it after all if she really wanted to - but it would involve a spell...and she hadn't seen Elva cast one. So did they share the same language for some reason - which should be quite the interesting story - or was her ability to understand him found somewhere else?

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

"yes, I do." Elva responded to Alyndra and Elrdrix both.

"Seems my Elvish companion doesn't understand it, though the Orc might." She responded to the man in front of her. "Now, I've done you the courtesy of answering not one but two of your questions. How about you answer mine?"

5. - Top - End - #305
    Orc in the Playground

He waves his hand in an obviously dismissive gesture, takes a deep breath then turns slightly (still sitting) so that hes facing the door and Elva. "Touti youij asse brunt asar. Hairt hsusit lelvi Yite'chun ji fessi saruh. Theus averti thaosu t'bocis!"he slaps his hand down on his thigh in anger, then closes his eyes, takes a deep breath, and continues ""Tius youju Literia ji hisy outi hui jusor. Tuis lor'tiri buere ukil Yite'chun ki niuju qutiy!!!"
    He actually stands up rather quickly, and begins pacing the room, but is making an obvious effort to not approach the door to directly, his hands flying as he continues speaking getting obviously more and more agitated.
    "Jukilo HETA yuoi wiye lorti ir Touti laric!!!"

he points a finger at Elva and Alyndra, "Ye boit nimat cosun...ji heki, si heta heki Tialokite!"
    Last edited by sarlon; 2021-01-16 at 11:49 PM.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

Elva let out a sigh. "I was afraid it was going to be something like this." She stepped over to Alyndra. "Can you confirm that he's affected by the zone of truth in this room? I think he believes what hes saying is true, but I'd like to know for certain. I'll explain everything he said later, but if it's true, then we're in trouble."
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-01-18 at 10:35 AM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra frowned, obviously thoroughly displeased by what was happening. Or at least, by the fact that she didn't understand what the guy was saying. More than once she considered using her Comprehend Language spell to fix that little issue, but not only she'd have to touch him - which she wasn't about to do - the more time passed the less it'd be useful.

When Elva asked her to confirm he was affected by the spell, she squinted. Not that she wasn't willing to check, but… it was the explaining after that she wasn't too fond of. Plus… “No, I don't think I can.” The young elf shook her head. “First, because he's not the one targeted by the spell, but the area. All I'd detect is that he is standing in the right zone which isn't exactly useful.” Her gaze stopped for a while on the man, “More importantly, such a spell can't create truth out of thin air. What he thinks - genuinely - to be the truth could be nothing of the sort.” She shrugged, “If I were an evil mastermind, I'd make sure my lackeys know only what I don't mind my enemies finding out.”

She turned to Elva then, obviously waiting for that explanation now.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

"This isn't really the right..." Elva sighed. She realized how shady she was being right now, but on the small chance that it wasn't his overlord that had been filling their follower's head with nonsense...

She continued, whispering now. She really didn't want anyone else to overhear. "Look, in short, it's the standard 'everything you know is wrong' deal. He's from a world that has been utterly destroyed and is barely livable, and claims he and his people had been abandoned there by the gods after being created and being used as warriors in some kind of war? Both, probably."

"Now, he's been sent here by the elders after discovering some dark truth about those gods to restore history, or reclaim his world's history, or something like that by retrieving the essences and taking them to some valley here in this world... I think, the translation isn't exactly perfect."
    She sighed. She knew how insane this all sounded, and the man's speech had been full of allusions that she couldn't follow at all.

"I know this sounds crazy, and you're probably right in that he's the one that has been lied to, or is lying to us... But if there's even a 5% chance that he isn't... I'm just saying that we should make certain to find the truth, whatever it is. If his people are being deceived, that's a weapon we can use, but if it's ours instead..."
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-01-18 at 11:04 AM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Once Elva was done explaining, Alyndra considered the man for a moment, “At the moment, it's a lot of a 'he said, she said', there's no way to tell who's right or who's wrong.” She shrugged, “Probably no one and everyone. Maybe the gods created a race of warrior to try and defend the previous world, maybe they didn't - for one reason or another - bring any of them when the decision was taken to leave. I can imagine this to be true. Is it right, is it wrong... If they couldn't take everyone, nothing would have been right.”

The young elf shook her head, “Maybe they were in the right and the gods in the wrong in the beginning. If it is true, that's something they have to take up to the gods. Trying to destroy our world, killing all of us in the process however, makes it a moot point. I'm not saying the truth of then doesn't matter. At the moment, they are in the wrong. They decided to kill us all. And even if that's in order to save themselves, as long as they make it a decision between them and us, then I'll pick us every time of the day.”

She paused for a moment, “Now, if there's a way to make it them and us against the enemy...” She shrugged, “Sure, why not. But it seems they've already decided not to go that way.”

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

Elva sighed. Alyndra was right, of course, and that did make the decisions they had to make easier. But it still didn't make her fell any better. "Yeah, you're right. I don't like it, but you are. Honestly, it should have been a clue how evasive he was when I tried to figure out what would happen to us once they 'returned history back to its proper course'." That last bit, she said a bit louder, giving the man one last chance to correct them, if there was anything to be corrected.

Then she spotted something from the corner of her eye. "Oh, for crying out loud..." The backpack which she'd put in the corner before entering the room was glowing slightly, and she could hear something rattling around inside it. She walked up to it and felt around, carefully, to get at the thing making all that noise.

Several moments passed, then suddenly a loud crack of lightning could be heard from outside, and Elva cursed as she janked her hand back. She quickly swung her pack onto her back and headed for the exit, before remembering Alyndra was there as well. "Two things: one, that sword of his? Not quite a normal sword after all. Two: his lawyer just arrived, or at least an interpreter of sorts."
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-01-22 at 11:29 AM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah had stepped outside to enjoy the calming bird song and the sound of the waves while the rest spoke amongst themselves. He was feeling disquieted by the recent events, and hoped the environment would assist him in returning to mental quietude. It's quiet, wonderfully quiet, he thought as he assumed the lotus position again and intoned, "Ohhhm."

The thunderclap out a clear blue sky some ten minutes later actively lifted him off the ground! Josiah took an annoyed breath, "Now it is too loud; I preferred when it was quiet."

He hoped there would be time to clean his soiled loinclothes later. For now he would have to settle for them having a skidmark. Meanwhile, the man who approached was elegantly dressed with a long sword sheathed at his hip. He held his hands out, palm up in the ubiquitous gesture of showing neither weapon nor ill intent.
    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 2021-01-24 at 09:20 AM.
    Tabhain faoi na réaltaí. “Reach for the stars.”

12. - Top - End - #312
    Orc in the Playground

The man slowly lowers his hands and rests one lightly on the hilt of his sword, but makes no move to unsheath it. He speaks common with a very slight accent you can't quite place but shows eloquence and proper diction (obviously has been educated not a common man). His hair is long and tied in a neat ponytail down his back, and bright orange with hints of yellow, but somehow you don't get the impression that it's dyed or colored unnaturally.

he speaks loudly but is not shouting, and is making sure he appears nonthreatening, apart from the hand on the hilt of the sword. "I apologize if I startled you, young man, my name is Koli'tek. I am seeking the human you have named Elva?"

13. - Top - End - #313
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Inside Sir," Josiah replied, pointing inside.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra smirked, grimly amused “Well, I rather like being right myself, it's much better than being wrong.” She looked a bit non-plussed after Elva's reminder though. “Uh... Alright?” And what exactly was she supposed to do about any of that?

One thing was sure, she had no intention of staying alone with the prisoner so she stepped out of the cell and closed the door, wondering what that lawyer business was about. If it had been back at the capital, then maybe, but here? Who would know? Who would care enough? None of that seemed like good news to her.

There were too many secrets, and she really wasn't fond of it.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

Elva rushed out of the temple, hoping that whoever had just arrived wasn't the kind to immediately get into trouble. It was with relief that she found him looking both surprisingly human, and apparently having an entirely normal conversation with Josiah, as she saw him point over his shoulder as she approached.

"I assume you're here for Elrdrix?" She asked as she approached. "He's inside, currently in custody. You'll probably have to check with the priestess before visiting him though."
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-01-24 at 09:49 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

The man's eyes are similar red shade to the man you have in custody, but a slightly lighter shade of red. He turns his head in your direction and smiles warmly.

"Ah, lady Elva I assume? I am named koli'tek. It seems we are at an impasse. I will gladly follow any customs or laws your land dictates."

He makes a closed fist places it over his heart and bows slightly.

"I will speak to whomever you wish me to first, but I would at least like to see him make sure he has not been unduely injured in any way."

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

'When did I become the point of contact for these people?' Elva wondered, but she knew the answer already. The price of curiosity was often steep.

"Yes, I'm Elva. It's.. uhm it's nice to meet you." There was somethign about his voice that sounded familiar... "Elrdrix is fine. He took a couple of hits during the scuffle in which he was apprehended, but he's doing well enough now." She turned back to the temple's entrance, half expecting the caretaker to have appeared already at the disturbance. "I can take you to see the caretaker and then presumably Elrdrix. He'll be taken to the capital shortly for trial, and I assume you'll wan to to accompany him?"
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-01-23 at 10:23 AM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

He stops briefly at the bottom of the steps, takes a breath, then begins climbing them muttering something under his breath, while your not sure on what he said his pained effort to climb steps is a small indication.

Once at the top, he stands a little taller than average, and while the fabric of his clothing looks strange and the cut of the fabric looks weird to your fashion tastes, it's well cared for and finely made. He is breathing a little heavily from the climb but once he takes a moment to catch his breath he smiles and extends a hand to both of you as if to shake it.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

Elva hesitated for just a fraction of a second, then shook the offered hand. If he was planning anything, better to get it out if the way now. And if he wasn't planning anything being polite would be more helpful in getting the answers she needed.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra was standing besides Toldec in front of their prisoner's cell, her arms crossed on her chest and she looked... Well, one could charitably say that she looked annoyed but maybe a more accurate description was that she was pissed. On top of that, it was immediately obvious to anyone looking that she had no intention of moving any time soon, and would gladly spit fire - or whatever angry wizards did - if someone came to ask her to enter the cell.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Orc in the Playground

He follows your lead and looks around a little wide eyes. Murmering about the architecture, and stopping occasionally to look at some with awe. He makes a point not to lay to far behind though.

The caretaker comes out into the main central chamber a question dying quickly on her lips, "what is that and why have you brought it here?" She points at koli'tek with a shaking finger.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

"He claims to be an interpreter. The one we caught either can't, or refuses to speak any language I know, so if he's going to be tried, You're going to need Koli'tek." Elva was tense now. Bringing him here was a risk. If he attacked the caretaker, then she'd have to be ready to take action. If the caretaker attacked him unprovoked though... She wasn't sure what she'd do then.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Orc in the Playground

She walks up to him and begins speaking in rapid-fire language gesturing wildly, it's obvious she is angry, but you don't understand what she's saying. He however is nodding and attempts a few times to speak but she keeps one going. when she finally stops ranting, the last word has all the inflection of a question, to which he responds with a shrug and a simple answer. She proceeds to slap him HARD across the face, and he bursts out laughing.

She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, "I apologize for that, its a very long story. This thing here is a lawyer alright, but it would take to much time to explain. But i promise an explanation will be forthcoming. Make Our...."guest" ready for transport. I'll secure passage for you to the other two temples incase more of his ilk are about. Although I'm ASSURED" she turns a fierce glare at the man, "that this will be the last of them for now...."

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

Elva had been wondering if the caretaker saw something different than the man she could see when she'd been referring to him as an 'it', but now she was wondering if there had been a more personal reason for that. What little she could follow of their discussion certainly sounded a bit moe like the meeting of two estranged lovers, than of two mortal enemies. As the discussion ended without incident, Elva quickly turned around to follow the caretaker's orders, and headed once again for the cells.

'Oh crap...' One look at Alyndra's face made her regret a lot of the decisions she'd made in the past hour or so. "Ehm... The caretaker confirmed that our new arrival is inf act a lawyer and says to make him ready for transport." she nodded at the cell. "Then I suggest we meet up with the monk, and I'll tell you everything I've learned in the past hour or so that I haven't been able to share yet in exhaustive detail... Does that sound right?" She braced for an outburst from the elf. She couldn't exactly blame her. Elva had really not been keeping the rest in the loop, though in her defense, there hand't really been much of a chance to do so.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-01-24 at 09:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra didn't answer straight away, looking at Elva without much change in her expression. Finally, she nodded sharply. “Fine.” It wasn't like she had any more palatable options, and making a scene in front of everyone wouldn't help anyone, so...

Still, she had no intention of giving the impression that it didn't matter, so without adding anything else, she left for the outside. If nothing else, she had to make sure Midnight had found Jasper and they were both ready to leave...

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Once everyone had gathered outside, Elva started to explain. "Alright, so remember how, after we knocked that man down and the caretaker took him inside, she'd just left his sword lying out here? Well, I worried about leaving it lying out here in the open, so I picked it up to take it inside and... well, it talked to me a bit." She closed here eyes fro a moment to remember everything the blade had said to her.

"It told me that the name of the guy we'd fought was Elrdrix, and that he and the sword where there to 'To open the 4 seals to bring history back to the proper path', and yes, I asked it to clarify that, and the fact that it didn't makes it sound pretty ominous. It also told me that they where looking for a valley, which seems to be key to whatever they're planning. It showed me an image of that valley and it kinda looked like it's somewhere in the northern mountains, but I'm not certain. There where four stone towers in the valley." She opened here eyes again. "" That was all it... no, wait, it also asked about these light earthquakes we where having. It kinda seemed to be relieved that those had started because it meant it wasn't too late yet. Don't ask me for what though."She shrugs. "I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I had found a bunch of answers. I haven't, I just learned about a whole bunch more questions we should be asking."

"I also got some further mysteries from questioning Elrdrix. I'm not certain if it is because I picked up the sword, or for some other reason, but I could understand the language he spoke reasonably well." She'd already told Alyndra most of this, but it'd be new info for Josiah. "He claimed that what had happened to Albright had been self defense, but since he seemed to be there to steal the essence protected by Albright that hardly absolves him."

"After some prodding he told me that he and his kind had been created by the gods, used as warriors, and the abandoned to their own devices in a wrecked world. Apparently there was a tower there that the gods had forbidden them to enter, but their elders eventually fought their way into it, and then they learned some 'truth'." Elva shakes her head to pre-empt any questions. "No, he didn't tell me what that truth was. He once again said something about 'history', claiming that our world is the history of his world, somehow? And then he said that'd he'd come here to stop something. The word for that something didn't translate properly, but it sounded like some kind of disasteror calamity. Or maybe all of the disasters and calamities?"

"Just after he told me that the sword starting trying to catch my attention. You know, vibrating in my backpack and stuff. It then told me that apparently 'they' weren't really happy about Elrdrix killing Albright, and that they where sending an interpreter or lawyer, which was the guy that arrived out here in spectacular fashion." Elva took a breath, and then continued. She'd kinda been rushing through the entire thing, but she knew that she'd be having second thoughts about sharing it all the moment she stopped to think about it, so she pushed on. "I took him to the caretaker, and she seemed to know him. Also, apparently she speaks their language? Anyway, she yelled at the interpreter for a bit, slapped him in the face, then confirmed that he was indeed a lawyer. Also, apparently he claimed there wouldn't be any others like him coming for the foreseeable future, but she also thought that he was probably lying, so..."

Elva let a short silence fall, then added a last thing. "yeah, I know how insane all this sounds, which is why I kept it to myself in the first place. I wanted to try and make some actual sense out of things before I shared it, but the mysteries and questions just kinda kept on stacking on top of eachother, instead of getting me any real answers."

27. - Top - End - #327
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra squinted as she considered Elva, not saying a word for a little while. Finally, her tone still betraying some dissatisfaction, she said “There are at least three moments you could have said some of that. The first one was straight after you picked the sword. You should have mentioned the little fact that it was 'not just a sword'. It could have taken control of your mind since then and we'd have never known.” Barely pausing, she continued. “The second is straight after it told you all of that, before you went to talk to that guy. And the third,” somehow, that seemed to be the one she was the most angry about, “is before you ran to that lawyer, interpreter or whatever he is...a shady guy by the sound of it. It wouldn't have killed him to wait for a couple of minutes.”

“As for the fact that it sounds crazy or not...” She snorted, “So what? It was important. It would have allowed all of us, as a group, to pay attention to some stuff. More importantly, maybe it would have reminded one of us of legends or who knows what. I hope it was simply a misguided decision or an...oversight...and not because you don't care about what the rest of us think or don't trust us.”

“Now.” Apparently decided to leave that...argument...behind - hopefully anyway - Alyndra visibly relaxed, and it was obvious being angry wasn't really something that came naturally to her. “There are a few things to address in all of that. The first I want to mention is something that I think you haven't paid attention to: while the sword allows you to understand Elrdrix, it also allowed him to understand you. And you weren't speaking his language. Which likely means that there is still a link between him and the sword. It's even possible that he's hearing everything we're currently talking about.” Which would be a problem in more ways than one. “Hopefully the range is limited for any direct communication, but should he be in range again...” She grimaced, “Considering however that it was somehow able to call home...”

“Like we discussed previously, the premise of his story are not verifyable at this time. Could be true, could be false, probably a mix of both. We'll have to ask Illidari and Almira if she's available I suppose. However, even if everything is true, there are a few more points to take note of. First, the fact that those elders are not happy with Elrdrix killing Ailbright is not the same at all with them apologizing. It wouldn't solve anything of course, but at this point it feels like they think it was a strategic blunder more than anything: it brought too much heat to them.”

“Second, I think we ought to learn as much as we can about that supposed disaster. It doesn't seem all that far-fetched considering all that has been happening recently, but it seems obvious they - whoever they are...” And boy, she didn't seem happy to not know that, “only care about protecting their own valley, sacrificing the rest of us in the process.”

“For now however,” she turned in the direction of the temple, then grimaced, “There's not much we're going to be able to do here. And hopefully, whatever...history...those two have will prevent mistakes.” And if it didn't... There probably wasn't much they could do about it against those three. “What we should do, is go to the other two temples as fast as possible. I'm not feeling too trusting with those valley guys and considering what they're willing to do, I certainly don't expect them to speak a word that is true unless it serves their purposes. Then we go back and have a talk with Illidari.” And Almira hopefully, but...she wasn't going to demand answers from a God...

She looked around at everyone, “Does any of you thought about something we didn't mention yet? Any opinions? Do you agree with that plan?”

28. - Top - End - #328
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah, his chance at regaining his mental quietude lost, was suddenly in a bit of a dither. "Whoa, whoa, whoa WHOA! Waitaholdit for one dishonorable minute!"
    Pointing at Elva, he snarled, "You mean to tell me that after I WARNED you NOT to touch that blade, you went and did it anyway?! What, just because I’m a monk who read a single legend once, you think your intellect--which seems to have FAILED you by the way, Elva!--is soooooooooo superior to mine that no matter what advice I might offer is NOTHING more than the inane babblings of a baby whose brain has never formed?!
    Josiah continued, obviously having been on the receiving end of such disdain in the past, “And, besides! Aly is RIGHT!!! That sword could even now be controlling your mind, and there is little of nothing we are now able to do about it! That blade may very tell you to kill me right now for telling you that! Ever ONCE take a moment to PAUSE and consider THAT?! Or is HER being furious at you, again nothing more than the unintelligent ramblings of a “lesser being”?!”
    Josiah waited a brief moment, then demanded, “Well?! ANSWER ME!!”

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

Elva took Alyndra's rebuke stoically. The elf was right, at least to some degree. If both she and Josiah had stayed around, rather than leaving the sword just lying there, she'd have told them all of it then and there. But as the elf had already left for the temple...

Josiah's rant on the other hand was completely uncalled for. "So, Josiah, might I ask how you managed to get into the adventurer's guild? Because its clearly not for your abundance of courage or initiative." She responded, giving him an icy glare. "Yes, we all knew the sword was bad news. Yes, you even told me so when you saw I went to pick it up, though that was already abundantly clear to me. Do you want to know why I picked it up anyway? Because I took this job to take risks, so others didn't have to. I'll apologize for not immediately filling you in on what I learned, but I will not apologize for picking up a dangerous artifact, rather than just leaving it lying there for any idiot to pick up, as you two where clearly content to do!"

"Tell me, if you where truly so worried about this sword, Josiah, why did you take no action to keep it secure? Why did you just leave it lying there, where anyone could have stumbled upon it? You could have picked it up yourself, covered it up, even warned the caretaker. YET. YOU. DID. NOTHING!" She shouted that last bit. "Blame me for not sharing information as quickly as you'd like as much as you want, but if you've got the gall to call me out on taking action to protect others while you where sitting on your hands, you should really reconsider your career choice."

30. - Top - End - #330
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah, in reply to the chewing he was receiving, gestured grandly to the orc Cleric as if he were presenting a grand treasure to royalty.
    "Render thou unto principality that which is of principality; render thou unto deity that which is of deity." Josiah quoted an ancient text. He continued, "I lost compatriots to not doing so when I first joined the Guild. That blade... is of deity, and therefore beyond me to meddle. I recall the olden proverb going something like... 'Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with spices.' I had intended for our esteemed cleric to deal with the blade, and had thought my warning enough to alert him to the need for his talents. I was very gravely mistaken. But calling my initiative into question... that is a low--though thoroughly deserved--strike. I concede the match."
    So saying, the young monk bowed low.