New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: War of Shadows (IC)

Josiah added of the tooth, "I found this tooth in the surf when we arrived. I looked down --as it is a habit of mine to hunt shark teeth when I am near a beachside-- and I saw a few. I grabbed for them and discovered this. Therefore, I have serious doubts, Good Master Smith, that it is the sort of item you seek."
    Tabhain faoi na réaltaí. “Reach for the stars.”

2. - Top - End - #422
    Orc in the Playground

the dwarf stamps his foot on something on the ground behind the counter and all the lights once again go out in the tiny shop, somehow making the air around everyone in the dim grimy alleyway seem to vanish. A tingling sensation creeps down each of your spines as the dwarf begins chanting and muttering in a tongue that seems both familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. While you don't understand the words themselves the chanting.

Spoiler: Elva:
    Show
    These words have the same feel to them as the man at the northern temple before they broke open the crystal.

His voice rises higher in pitch and he begins tapping the tooth, the armor, and the axe with the dagger in time with the chanting, almost like playing a musical instrament, and each item begins to glow faintly pulsing with each word each item starting to float very gently above the counter. You'll notice the dwarf's eyes widen in shock but he continues his words. a bright light engulfs all three items, momentarily blinding the three of you, but when the light clears you find yourself back at the docks not far from your ship that brought you here, unharmed, the sun definately lower in the sky then you remember, and your armor back on Elva, the tooth back in Josiah's hand, and the axe back in Tordic's hand.

You're getting some strange looks but no one seems to ask questions.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

"Anyone wants to lay down any bets on the dwarf still being there if we go looking for him?" Elva asked. "Five gold says that he's gone." She sighed. "I'm going to check anyway, because I have more questions, but I'm not particularly hopeful." The young woman set off back in the direction of the dwarf's smithy.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-10-14 at 12:01 PM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #424
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'll pass; I'd like to continue to delude myself that I know a losing bet when it sends me packing," Josiah muttered, but followed after Elva.
    Had he really seen that St. Elmo's Fire glow about his tooth?
    Josiah shook his head. No, it had been about the axe and the armor, but it hadn't been about his tooth. No, he'd imagined that out of the delusion of grandeur that he'd found something of great power. Still walking, he took out his journal and described what he thought he had seen, and his conclusion that no, he'd imagined it, and the tooth was nothing more than a treasure to keep.
    The axe and armor were magic items, so of course they would react to magic. Natural things, like my Abyss Deathmouth tooth would never react to magic like crafted objects.
    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 2021-10-14 at 11:31 AM.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tordic's eyes widened at the display from the craftsman. He was not sure what to make of the situation and when the lights dimmed and darkened, his muscles tensed anticipating...something. Hearing the chanting reminded him of being in the temple of the Mountain, but this was different. This was...almost as if there was no intermediary, this was as if watching and hearing the tings and pangs of the celestial anvil himself.

Shaking his head at suddenly finding himself on the docks, he was most unnerved. Looking around quickly, he relaxed some when he saw his companions, but then started once again. Taking his axe from his hand, he held it before him and he inspected it closely. He knew its curves, pit marks and feel of the worm eaten wood. Running his hands over the weapon, he closed his eyes and attempted to look with what his mentor referred to as his celestial eye, looking at the weapon without the trappings of the world around him.

OOC: Simply trying to see if it feels different, looks different, connects with him differently. Not sure what you'd like me to roll if anything.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: Tordic
    Show
    Tordic:

The ax DEFINATELY looks different. Most of the rust has vanished from the ax head, though it still has some spots and still looked pitted, the handle looks brand new, the obvious damage is gone, and a SLIGHT curve that actually helps you hold it a little better and the balance has definitely improved.

Spoiler: Josiah
    Show
    Josiah:

The tooth in your hand has changed slightly, you find yourself able to grip it a little better, and you even think some improvised straps might attach it to your fist.

Spoiler: Elva
    Show
    Elva:

Your armor is actually looking better than it has in years, the leather straps look fresh and new while missing links and rust have been replaced. While they still don't shine, it looks less likely to burst apart if you took a deep breath.

Elva's suspicions are correct, not only can you not find the shop, you can't find the alleyway either. Where you were once certain it was, now stands a storefront filled with glass objects that glitter and sparkle in the lowering sun. If asked no one has any idea what you're talking about and when asked about a dwarven smith in town, they point you to a shop in the merchant division, but if investigated is nowhere close to what you were looking for, plus the dwarf is of the southern clans (dark skin, taller, less bearded) and very young.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

"Well then, I suppose we'd better go and catch up with Alyndra then." She was about to set out when she finally figured out what had been bothering her during the entire search. Something had felt off, and at first she'd attributed it to her armor fitting far better than before. However, it wasn't the armor, but rather her backpack being a lot lighter than before.

"Oh, no, no..." She dropped it and frantically started searching through it. "Ah, damn it! He took the sword as well!" She wasn't certain why she was so upset about it. The weapon had definitely been dangerous. But on the other hand, it had also given her a a completely different angle on what was going on. And even if it had been lying, there had to have been some truth she could have learned from it.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah considered a moment, then said to Elva, "at least whatever control it had over you--if any--will now fade and no longer be a threat. Although, whatever it told you will still constitute such."
    He looked about and offered a complete non sequitur, "I wonder if any leatherwork artisans are in this area and available at this late hour? I just had an interesting thought."

9. - Top - End - #429
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

The burly orc ran his hands over his axe the way a lover caressess their partner. Eyes closed, his fingertips danced over familiar and now non familiar bumps, edges and dips..his mind reading and remembering them like a roadmap in his head. Truly he walked with those that will light fires in this world, people that will shake and move and put past wrongs to right and put to bed those that still continue to wrong....

Looking up at Elva, he noticed her armor was considerably better looking than before. It too seemed to have the aura of the touched about it....looked better, moved better, even the strapping and links seemed to have been not only replaced, but upgraded in a way to reflect more of Elva herself...getting excited he moved ahead and was going to speak with her and Josiah about it when he noticed that she was miffed about something missing. Closing the gap he caught only the back part of the conversation and heard of the sword being taken.

Wrinkling his brow at first his anger flared over the audacity of someone taking something from his friends, then he remembered what she was meaning and he grunted loud enough to be heard as he approached even closer.

"Perhaps the blade was a price to pay for the work that was done. He spoke of it in a bad way, a way that does not seem to fit with who you are. He seemed rather wise to such things, look what he did to your armor...and even my axe! Mayhaps it is a blessing that we don't see yet, for if it was as he spoke, those items seem to have a way of attracting bad things and bad people."

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

Elva managed to bite down a rather undiplomatic response. She couldn't blame her compatriots for their suspicions. If anything, the feeling of loss she felt made her worry there might be a grain of truth to their line of thinking. Still, she regretted losing the first-hand source of information on their supposed enemy the sword had represented, even if it had opened her up to manipulation.

"Come on, let's go find Alyndra and plan our next step." She swung her pack back on her back and set off.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-10-29 at 12:37 AM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Totally missing the more subtle undertones and traces of anger in Elva's voice, Tordic smiled at having his companion back. Nodding his agreement, he adjusted his gear and set out to follow his friends, eyes scanning for potential threats.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Orc in the Playground

By the time you guys find the tavern that you were meeting Alyndra, there is a rather large party entering from a ship that just docked, the quiet port has gotten loud shouts and curses and laughter boom from a large group of humans coming through the port. Though all are dressed for a sea voyage.

You cannot see exactly how many, but you'd guess at least 3 dozen, mostly humans and 3 elves.

They are loud and rude and the entire crowd is surging towards various taverns, but they take little notice of your small group unless you attempt (no matter how politely or rudely) to move through or past the group. The tavern you've found alyndra in seems mostly empty and the few inside look up with obvious scowls on their faces, you wouldn't call it open hostility but this place seems like a place for a quiet drink.

The bartender is a gruff looking human cleaning the bar top with a rag and grunts at your entrance.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

"Hey Alyndra, how did your search for camels go?" Elva sat down across from the Elvish mage. "Do we have everything we need to start the expedition?"

14. - Top - End - #434
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah simply looked around like a long-tailed cat in a room full of mouse traps. "Why do I get the feeling if we make any sudden moves, we'll be evicted?"

15. - Top - End - #435
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tordic kept his arms close to his side, covering pouches and weapons...he did not want to be the victim of a sneak thief's directed actions.

Once inside, his eyes adjusted quickly to the darker tones of the tavern and he caught the scowls of several of the patrons. Narrowing his eyes, he wanted no quarrel with these people, but he didn't want to be seen as a pasty either. Seeing his party seated, he moved towards the barkeep and nodded as the man looked up at him.

"A plate of meats and cheeses if you have it barkeep..." He spoke in calm common. "While you are at it, one refill for the patrons in here and one for yourself if you please. We've just finished a long voyage and are parched and hungry. One more coin for merchants to avoid and ones that are trustworthy." He spoke again, still in calm almost monotone common. He didnt want to create an alarm nor give cause for those nearby to be angry at a foreigner walking into their watering hole.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Orc in the Playground

The tone of the place relaxes once it's obvious your group while "large" is calm and relatively quiet, the patrons mostly ignore you except a muted cheer at mention of a free round. You get the impression they didn't want any of those loud and rowdy people from outside coming in and disturbing the peace.

The bartender grins showing several missing teeth, but gladly takes your money and calls into the back room for someone, and ordering somethings (you swear he spoke common but he was saying things like "plate of rocks and flowers, tubs of yak, 3 gardens, a side of daisy's, etc). He gestures you to take a seat wherever (plenty of empty stools at the bar or tables, there's maybe a half dozen patrons in here, including a couple of halflings wearing garb similar to the desert garb your group bought for yourself.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pleased that the patrons have settled down and that the barkeep has taken his order, Tordic tries to not let on that he has no clue what the barkeep said to the people in the kitchen.

Turning, he moved through the sparsely populated seating area and took his seat back with his companions.

"Food is coming and the locals are happy with another round. What is our next step in this strange town?"

18. - Top - End - #438
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Personally, I wish to find a merchant who works in leather, as I think I have an idea for the tooth I found." Josiah said simply.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra Aramiar - Elf Wizard (5) - HP 30/30 - AC 18

Alyndra had been deep in thoughts, her spell book in front of her. Despite how familiar with the thing she ought to be - it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say she had spent thousands of hours going over it - she looked at it as if it had suddenly grown fangs or something.

As such, it took her a moment to even realize the rest of the group had - finally! - caught up with her. “Camels?” She blinked, looked up, then closed her book and nodded, “Yes, camels. I did find some yes. And a guide, who will bring them back when we've reached our destination. We're to meet at sunset.”

“I was beginning to worry you'd gotten lost or something...”
    Last edited by Imladir; 2021-12-01 at 11:02 AM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah, no, not quite." Elva started to explain. "Tordic caught wind of this pretty much legendary dwarven blacksmith, so we went looking for him. He did some work on Tordic's axe and my chainmail, though he did it using magic. Magic that is in some way related to the spell Elrdrix used back in Albright's temple to open the container holding that temple's essence. I don't really know in what way, just that the incantations sounded similar, as if from the same language or the like. Anyway, as soon as he did that, he teleported us to another part of the city, but took Elrdrix's sword while he was at it. We tried to find him, but he basically disappeared from the face of the earth, taking his store with him. So, yeah..." A sheepish grin crossed Elva's face, but the mirth does not reach her eyes, which show exhaustion. "That's what we've been up to."

21. - Top - End - #441
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tordic waited for Elva to finish speaking before his excitement got the better of him.

"He touched me with his dagger..." He stated hurriedly before making sure his voice was low enough just for the table.

"I saw swirls of history, places, people, faces...it was as if I could see the lineage of the land and the story of my axe and the cosmos decided at that moment to shift and let me glimpse upon something that I should have no business knowing. He touched my axe with a knowing hand, not one that merely knows how to swing it...the way a father caress his child's head or looks upon a home that he built...I feel that he was one of the originals..."

He paused as he took a swallow from the tankard in front of him before continuing.

"Lady Elva is right...the magic used was deep and old. Primal perhaps......"

22. - Top - End - #442
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

(Once food and drinks are done)

Tordic looked at Josiah and nodded.

"If it is a leather craftsman you wish, lets go seek one. The day is up, people are moving and merchants are ready for business. Perhaps this too will be an unusual experience."

Intent: after eating leave with Josiah if he is willing to peruse the vendors looking for merchants that deal with leather. Not really looking to buy anything unless it catches my eye.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah smiled and left his share of the meal. "Yes, Tordic. The day is waning fast; let's go find a leatherworker."

24. - Top - End - #444
    Orc in the Playground

Leather worker:

You find him still in his shop, open air like the halflings general store. You see him at work cutting some very heavy looking leather very carefully with a knife. He glaces up as you approach his stall and his smile is brief while he finishes what looked to be a very complex cut that required his deep attention.

"Good day gentleman, how may hasini be of service to you? Fine new boots perhaps?"

Once his attention is away from the intricate work, from which he puts a very unique looking knife carefully into a sheath and putting it under the counter. He steps out from behind the frame the piece of leather to tied to very tightly. He is a tall dark skinned human male, once a very fit man in his youth, the grey in his hair and the slightly gone to seed. His smile is warm and welcoming though, and extends hands to shake, they are rough and calloused from labor.

Back at the bar (for those who didn't go):

As the evening draws in, and the temperature begins to drop, this quiet little bar begins to liven up.

A few wildly dressed halflings come in shouting something about the new moon is high in the heavens and that means its time for.... something? The word is unfamiliar, but a cheer goes up from the patrons.

Chairs and tables (aside from your own) and moved out of the middle of the room up against walls and drinks are being poured and even being politely offered to your group.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

After a moments hesitation Elva accepted one of the offered drinks. "So what's special about tonight?" She asked one of the locals.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah shows the merchant the tooth and says, "I had thought to fashion a way to bind this to my hand as a sort of katar? Err, a punch-dagger. or maybe a sort of bracer-like armor..."

27. - Top - End - #447
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tordic watched Josiah wrangle with the merchant. While he liked leather goods, he did not have any need for their services at this time so he hung back and let his friend complete his business.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Orc in the Playground

Leather worker:

The man smiles and politely takes the tooth looking at it this way and that frowning in thought and has Josiah extend his arm as if punching something and asks him to hold that stance while he pulls out a long battered length of leather and places the tooth along your hand, making adjustments and wrapping it making sure it's not to tight or restrictive. He stands back and let's you make a few practice punches and makes adjustments till you're comfortable. He makes some marks on the poor quality leather he was making the adjustments with, and removes it from your arm.

"Fine form young man, don't have the pleasure of seeing many brothers this far south.....I think I could make something comfortable for you....but it would take a few days..."

Tavern:

The drink smells odd but not unpleasant, it's mentioned that a seer saw the (that funny word again, makes you think it might be a local thing) in the heavenly lights and that's a sign of good fortune! Tonight is a celebration! They quaff their drinks and go for more, the quiet subdued tavern coming alive with song and dance and some basic parlor trick magic (nothing high skill level, some more slight of hand than anything, but one halflings seems to be doing some astonishing feats of slieght of hand that makes you think he might be an actual illusionist).
    Last edited by sarlon; 2021-12-27 at 09:06 PM.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Dwarf in the Playground

At the mention of "brothers", Josiah took pause. That wasn't an oft-used phrase...

30. - Top - End - #450
    Troll in the Playground

Elva allowed herself to relax as the evening went on. They where safe enough right now, so allowing herself to enjoy the festivities, even if she didn't quite understand what they where for, should do no harm. Though she refrained from joining in with the dancing, she did decide to show off a trick or two of her own. Though she lacked a deck of cards, a couple of spare coins from her pocket would do just as well for showing off her skills.

Spoiler: sleight of hand
    Show

(1d20+11)[31]
    Elva is probably also mixing in some basic illusion spells (with the silent spell feat to mask the casting), provided her performance goes well enough.