New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: War of Shadows (IC)

"I suppose that makes sense?" Elva responded to Casmir's explanation. "I'm not exactly an expert on faith and divine power, so If you say that it's important for the place to do what it's supposed to do then I won't argue."
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Raidah sighs, looking over the plans again.

"Well, I suspect we're not going to be able to guess anything too useful before we arrive there, it's never that easy. At least the food was good. Unless anyone has anything else to bring up, we should probably retire. It's an early morning tomorrow, and I'd prefer everyone here get 8 hours of rest."

Raidah smiles at the casters after saying that, then finishes her drink.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

"But I always spend the entire night awake before a tricky and dangerous mission!" Elva said with a smile to indicate that she wasn't serious. "In all seriousness though, we probably should get some rest, unless anyone else still has something important to share?"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Those who stay up, there is music and even some light comedy going till the wee hours of the morning. When the final call is made, everyone either leaves the building entirely or goes to their rooms, with surprisingly little to no fuss.

Those who retire before final call, your rooms are near soundproof (remember this is your ideal room, if you want city noise filtering in, its there, if you want peaceful forest sounds, its there, etc.)

Next Morning:

There are a few guests downstairs eating breakfast and while simple fair its amazingly delicious. A massive orc stands behind the bar this morning greeting everyone who enters by name (and none of you have met this guy before in your life). Despite his size and bulk, he is light on his feet and always ready with a joke or a story. He brings your group out breakfast personally and asks what brings you to town.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Elva smiled at the orc, both in appreciation of the breakfast and to give herself a moment to consider how secret their mission probably was. lady Almira hadn't really specified, but given how important the mission seemed, it was probably best not to go into too much detail.

"Oh, you know, adventurer guild business." She responded to the orc's query. "Someone important probably needs something found or retrieved or something like that. We'll know more in an hour or so when we get told the when, where, what and who."

Spoiler: bluff roll, if needed
    Show

(1d20+11)[29]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra Aramiar - Elf Wizard (5) - HP 30/30 - AC 14

Alyndra went to bed reasonably early: they'd likely have a busy day ahead of them, one she really didn't want to be tired for, and that was even if they didn't find anything. As it was… Well, something whispered to her that things wouldn't be quite as simple as that.

In the morning, after a comfortable night lulled to sleep by the noises of the forest, Alyndra went downstairs for breakfast at a reasonably hour, enough that she'd have the time to eat without rushing and be in time for the meeting with Almira's assistant Illidari. Well, if nothing happened anyway.

As she ate - mostly fruits and cereals - Alyndra quietly listens to the conversations around her, simply curious to learn more about the patrons and what they had to say. Asked about what she was doing there, she considered simply answering with a “Just some Guild Business” or something along those lines, but since Elva had mostly taken care of that, she simply nodded and didn't add anything on the subject. Instead, she asked a question of her own, as much to change the subject as because she was curious. “So, how did you come to get a job here?”

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

His face turns thoughtful at the question, and his mellow voice is highly articulated not common in orcs (think semi upper-class British but without the British accent). He pulls a blood-red stone shaped into a clenched fist and sets it on the table before you before he answers. Guild stones formed into a specific shape are only ever given to the highest-ranking guild members not in management, they pulled off such an awesome feat of heroism that it's worthy of notice to people anywhere....any yet he's hiding it while working in a bar. "My many times over great grandfather was one of the heroes who found this world, he found this bar when this city was little more than 100 people who were just wanting a peaceful place. He wanted a nice place for adventurers to get a hot meal and a comfortable bed before traveling again, and not spend most of their fortune. This is....was.....his stone.....My name is Alvec, of the blood fist clan"

(knowledge history if anyone wants knowledge of the blood fist clan, this guys name doesn't mean anything to you guys)
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

“Oh. I see.” After a couple of seconds, Alyndra nodded. “That makes sense.” The young elf looked at the tapestry - her gaze lingering on the elf for a second - then looked back at the orc. “So tell me, what's the story behind the dire rat?”

Knowledge (History): (1d20+7)[10]

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: knowledge history check
    Show
    you know there's something more important about that clan, but right now your history brain is still half asleep and can't remember what it was.

He looks startled for just a heartbeat before letting out a deep belly laugh slapping the table. "Back when this town was little more than a cow pasture, my ancestor starting building this tavern....which became infested by dire rats...seemed no matter how many he killed, they came back 100 fold....according to the stories anyway, and one day one of those rats is sitting as calm as you please right over there, " he points to where the check-in desk currently sits, "up on its hind legs and looked ready to just move in! Funnily enough, after he let that one live, they never had an infestation problem ever again, and since he didn't speak dire rat, the family named it after that rascal."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra chuckled. “That's a nice story.” Granted, it wasn't likely to be true. Or much embelished at any rate but did it truly matter? So much time had passed anyway that even for elves what remained was more myth than history. Unless one could talk with those who were there and still around, but there weren't that many and they weren't exactly the kind you talked to every day…

Finished with her breakfast, she sighed. “I almost don't want to get on the road with all this…”

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Raidah has finished her own plate of more eggs than seems reasonable, as well as a bit of bacon and a roll.

"We'll need the energy later, no doubt. Hopefully we at least get a hike before anything stupid happens and you need to run."

Knowledge: History: (1d20+8)[14]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

After having finished her own breakfast, Elva got up from her chair and stretched. "Nothing better than a hike after a good breakfast. Better not keep the client waiting, right?"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Casmir wakes up late and rushes down.

"Very sorry! I've not been able to sleep in a proper bed like that for quite sometime... it was far too comfortable!"

He quickly wolfs down some food, only pausing briefly for indigestion.

"So what next? Heading off?"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

After checking out of the hotel, you find the meeting spot with Illidari, dressed today in a handsome tunic and leggings. He hands Alyndra a scroll with intructions on how to use it to return once they were done (simple enough spell focused on the scroll without using a spell slot). "Since time can be of the essence this will bring you to just outside the city gate, report to me as soon as you know anything, I don't care what time of day or night. If they say I'm in a meeting, show them your stone, that should shut them up."

His face contorts into a weird grimace, and he mutters about how important he is and they should listen to him.....dang tall people......grumble....., then he smiles and asks if you are ready to begin the journey, another scroll in his hand already unfurled.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Elva Adjusted her Navy-blue scarf once more, then nodded. "I'm ready to get out of this hot weather and on the road, thank you very much!" The warm clothes where really uncomfortable in the city, but she knew she'd be happy to have them the moment the the teleportation happened.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra had gone through the stables to get Jasper, who was once again carrying her saddlebags. Granted, she probably would have been able to leave most of it there, but you never knew. It was better to be prepared for anything after all. Her Tressym familiar was sitting on the donkey, observing the surroundings and giving the impression that it was following the conversation.

When she was handed the scroll, Alyndra opened it to study it: not really to learn the spell - not that she would have been against that mind you - but simply to make sure that she would be able to cast the spell when required. “I must confess I thought we'd have to take the long way to come back here. It's nice to have that.” After a small pause, she added with a grin, “And that's another good reason to keep me safe if you don't want to walk back from the temple.” Her eyes sparkling, she glanced at her companions.

After a couple of seconds the elf made sure that Jasper was standing just next to her then nodded to Illidari. “I'm ready yes.”

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Raidah looked suspiciously at the last comment Illidari made, before turning to Alyndra.

"Yes, I really don't want to have to carry everyone back through a forest; once was enough. Let's try to keep the scroll safe."

Raidah is absolutely not dressed for cold weather, and looks downright comfortable in the heat. She also doesn't seem to notice the weight of her pack, and despite resting the butt of her glaive on the ground, isn't putting any of her weight on it(since the chipped and rotting wood looks like it would break if she did).

18. - Top - End - #78

ClericGuy

((OoC: Sorry for the lack for replying recently, I've had to be quarantined, and just starting my second week, it's throwing my normal cycle of checking the site off! I'll do better moving forward.))

Casmir strolls up, in cold weather gear, but most of it not on properly yet, wrapped around his waist, tied through the loops on his backpack that sort of thing. So it can be donned at a moments notice, (i.e.
    once they teleport) but not before.

"I'm always ready for a journey. Y'know I'm kind of glad we have this cold weather gear, it saved me from asking Shantu for an Endure Elements spell this morning. Means we have that spell slot for something else!"

He smiles brightly and waits patiently, clearly very excited.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

((Hey life happens! long as its just a quarantine, and not something more serious :) keep in touch))

-------------------------

he instructs you to stand close, he opens the scroll and begins chanting. You feel the swell of magic surrounding you, washing over your skin, a bright light engulfs your vision, then as it fades, the first sensation you notice is a noticeable change in the temperature. While not freezing cold after the hot temps from all summer, it is a nice change.

The forest is a hardwood forest, well maintained (elf would feel right at home even if the trees are different from their native woods). It has the feel of a natural forest but stumps indicate that some forestry has taken place, not entirely knocked over from storms or other natural disasters. The various ages of the trees indicate that the forestry was done responsibly (replanting after cutting down trees).

The Spell put you down in the middle of a noticeable path running in different directions, up and downhill as well as in various directions. This clearing has the feeling of a central camp of a logging camp, but abandoned. While not entirely silent there is still a strange feeling in the air like you're being watched.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, that's a lot better!" Elva said to no one in particular after getting her bearings.

"Sooo, anyone remember which way to go?" she added after a moment. While she spoke she looked over her surroundings carefully, trying to determine the source of the feeling of being watched.
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(1d20+10)[12]

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra sighed, obviously pleased, half-closing her eyes, face up, and taking deep breaths. She nodded emphatically when Elva mentioned how much better it was there. After a few seconds, she opened her eyes and looked around with a frown. After a couple of seconds, she asked, “Am I the only one feeling like someone's looking at us?”

With a brief gesture accompanied with a whispered “Simethoti”, Alyndra looked around once more, though slowly this time.

Perception: (1d20+11)[24]
    Alyndra casts Detect Thoughts (DC 17 Will Save to negate). She's only interested in finding if there's anyone at this point, so she focuses at a new spot every turn.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

For a few moments, all you sense/see are various woodland creatures, almost no intelligent life. After a moment though, coming down the path from uphill, you see an OLD human male, wearing comfortable cold-weather gear. His bearing and demeanor are that of someone well-bred, his face while old and craggy holds a sense of class. a cloak draped around his shoulders is held closed by a pin that upon closer inspection shows the mixed mark of Shantu and Almira.

"Good Afternoon, Welcome to the territory of Shantu's Temple."

While he seems solid and full form, you detect no intelligent thought.
    Last edited by sarlon; 2020-03-30 at 11:44 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

'Well, he's not a crusty old hermit.' The thought passed through Elva's mind as she saw the man she assumed was the caretaker for Shantu's temple approach them.

"Thank you for the welcome and a good afternoon to you too!" She said with a smile. "Mr. Albright, I presume?"
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-03-30 at 11:41 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Raidah smiles brightly and steps forward, placing herself between the rest of the group and the newcomer.

So good to see a friendly face. Do you know where we're going? I'm more of a city girl, myself, just useless in a forest like this.

She's not in a combat stance, but she does keep her hands on her weapon rather than offer to shake.

Also, just a general roll to see if anything's up. Perception: (1d20+8)[9]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

“Uh.” Alyndra tilted her head to the side for a second. “Well, that explains it.” If he was the temple's caretaker, she was not surprised at all to not detect him at all. A bit miffed that she had burned a spell for nothing, but definitely not surprised.

Briefly shaking her head, she nodded to the man. “Good afternoon.”

26. - Top - End - #86

ClericGuy

Casmir nods to the man and smiles, after seeing the merged symbol.

"Well met friend! It's good to see another worshipper of Shantu here. Are you the chap we're looking for?"

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

The old man nods his head, before gesturing you to follow him, turning his back to you. You see the end of a long-bladed weapon peeking out from his back (it's strapped to his back its not stuck into his back).

a 10-minute hike with little conversation from the old man leads you through dense hardwood trees, going up a well-defined path. The temple comes suddenly into view, 4 stories tall, made of gleaming granite and pure white marble. The building is in surprisingly good repair, some minor damage to the outside of the building, but otherwise fairly clean and well maintained. A once-grand fountain stands empty and dry in front of the temple, the pitcher that water would flow out of cracked and smashed almost beyond repair.

There is almost a deafening silence over the area, and the old man continues walking into the temple itself, starting to remove his cloak as he goes.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

The temple as a whole looked a lot better than Elva had feared. There was some wear and tear, sure, but whatever was responsible for the key-stone being knocked off balance was clearly more subtle than the collapse of half the temple or something like that. She hoped that meant things would be easier to fix as well.

"Soooo... Albright, what does a devotee of Shantu do here all day?" she asked "I can't imagine there being lot left to learn or do in the temple after the first century or two."
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-04-04 at 01:56 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra followed silently, content to walk in the forest out of the heat found in the south. She led Jasper by the leash while her Tressyn familiar flew away, probably to hunt something.

30. - Top - End - #90

ClericGuy

Casmir just looks at the temple in awe, he's clearly very impressed and looking forward to going inside and exploring it, in fact, he seems like he's positively buzzing with excitement.