New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: War of Shadows (IC)

Detess:

As you creep along the empty hallways, the plans close to your nose, you think you're doing a masterful job of sneaking along towards where the cleric thought to try looking first.

Rest of the group:

While her step is light and nary a sound is heard......you still watch her walk down the middle of the hallway in plain sight of Gods and country.

Detess:

Closer inspection of the plans reveals a small room off of what is labeled as the high priest's private quarters. It's labeled as a private study and meditation room but feels oddly central to the entire building. It's on this floor and easy enough to find, you're about 100 feet from where the plans say the room is located.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Raidah looks over at the two remaining casters.

She...she can cast invisibility, right? The guild wouldn't stick us with a fake rogue...would they?

Despite that, Raidah follows Elva, staying about 50' back and making no particular effort to stay quiet or hidden.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Elva considered the map for a moment longer, and then took a right to head towards the private sanctum after a quick wave to those following her to indicate that she was aware that she was changing course from where she had initially been going. As she did so, she noted some odds looking coming from her companions, but she paid them little mind, focusing instead on getting where she wanted to go without getting seen.

Spoiler: more stealth/scout rolls
    Show

hide: (1d20+11)[15]
    move silently: (1d20+11)[15]
    perception: (1d20+10)[16]
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Casmir chuckles.

"I don't think so, but it would be quite a good prank..."

He's clearly talking in jest as he slowly follows along with the others.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra Aramiar - Elf Wizard (5) - HP 30/30 - AC 14

“Uh... Maybe it's something that only affects other people and not us?” Alyndra answered Raidah, albeit not particularly convinced that this was the case.

She followed too, looking around curiously, more to see if there were any interesting things around that because she hoped to spot any danger before anyone else did.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

Detess:

You find the door before you find the room you're looking for, it has literally been ripped off its hinges. Inside you hear a voice loud and clear, though what it's saying you have no idea (I've looked at everyone's known languages). Though the words are meaningless to you, they DO have a chanting rhythm to them, and MAYBE a couple of repeated words that sound like a name.

Inside the room:

A tall man dressed in all black armor and clothing, carrying a shattered remnant of a weapon that looks similar to the shard pulled out of the dead guy's belly. right as he shouts a final word he strikes out with the weapon which shatters a massive crystal hovering above the ground. The resulting burst of energy shatters all glass in the building, knocks stones out of the building work, the ground shatters.

Sudden darkness overwhelms all your vision as you are all knocked back again walls, or thrown to the floor from the concussive blast from this blow.

----------------------------------------

Time Passes:

Full dark has fallen on the region by the time each of you find the energy to open your eyes. The crystal that was hovering in the middle of the room, is now barely an inch above the ground, and the inside is missing a large piece (there's a part in the middle that has a definite clean shape that something was stored inside). While each of you is mostly unharmed, aside from scrapes and bruises, you have an odd feeling like you had a dream while you were unconscience but can't remember it. The man who was in the room is long gone, and the chill wind of evening is cooling any exposed skin.

Alyndra:

Your cat familiar is pacing around nervously, they too seem unharmed. It keeps pawing around the broken crystal and making the strangest noises (whatever mewing type noise they make but sounding with obvious distress).
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

"Uuugh..." Elva slowly forced her battered body to stand up. "Uhmm, is that what I think it is?" she gestured towards the broken crystal, as a feeling of dread settled itself in her stomach.

8. - Top - End - #128

ClericGuy

Casmir's eyes roll open after a little while, and his hand goes to his head.

"Did we have a party and get blackout drunk? Because my head is POUNDING"

He sighs as he looks around to take in what's going on.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Ugh...ugh Raidah's hand gropes for her glaive, then uses it as a crutch to lever her to her feet. She opens her eyes to take in the scene. Panic and rage flash across her face.

Wait...we screwed up. We really screwed up. But the world didn't actually end. So we have to live with this. But we screwed up. What do we do now?

Raidah scans the room again.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

"It wasn't us that messed up. I got to the room right as this... man... fiend... whatever, finished a ritual meant to shatter the crystal, so this is on him." Elva took a deep breath as icy rage warred with her naturally sunny disposition.

"Alyndra, as soon as you're ready to cast the spell from that scroll we need to travel back to the capital to warn Lady Almira. I doubt that villain will leave it at just one temple."

11. - Top - End - #131

ClericGuy

"Do we not want to do more investigating before we use that scroll? I mean we don't really know what happened here, what that crystal was or why he destroyed it, or how we survived. Seems a bit odd to report back that some guy broke a crystal and then we all woke up from unconsciousness, and using the scroll that quickly may not be the best plan."

Casmir pauses and smiles.

"Not saying we don't use the scroll, just wanted to play devil's advocate for a moment, look at the other options, so to speak."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

“Ngh...” Alyndra grogilly lifted a hand to her forehead, calling Midnight to her and stroking her furr with a few soothing words, as much for the Tressym than for herself. Shaking her head, she stood up and considered the sphere for a long moment without a word.

“I have no idea what you're thinking about.” She shook her head after a moment, answering Elva's question. “Other than bad news now that it's broken and whatever was inside taken. Probably something that was involved in stabilizing everything I guess, but other than that...”

“And I'm with her on that,” she nodded to Elva, “There's nothing we could have done that would have made a difference. It's not like we paused to pick some mushrooms on the way.” And she had seen a few of those!

She hesitated next, not sure using the scrolls right now would be the right move, “I kind of agree with Casmir... What happened, happened. Odds are, Almira already knows about the gist of what happened. At this point, it's pretty much a damn if you do, damn if you don't situation: waiting could be a bad idea, but leaving now could mean missing something important.” She shrugged, “And since we're here... I'm not saying we should spend a week here, but at least wait for noon tomorrow. Maybe with the morning's light we'll see something we'd miss otherwise.”

As an afterthought, she added, “Plus, odds are that if we went back right now, we would have to wait quite a bit before we managed to see anyone...”

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Raidah stands up straighter, taking a couple breaths to center herself, before nodding.

Smart, both of you. This place shouldn't take too long to search if we don't really push it. We stay, see if there's anything obvious that we can figure out, then go from there. Casmir, in the morning, could you preserve the body? I don't want to bury him without more info, but we can't just ignore it either.

14. - Top - End - #134

ClericGuy

Casmir nods.

"Yeah I can preserve it. I'll see what I can do for now too."

He goes over to the body to see what he can do for it now.

((OoC: Mythweavers isn't letting me look at the sheet so rolling Heal from memory! (1d20+10)[22] to see if he can do anything to help preserve the body without magic for now))

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

"Aah!" Elva clutches her head in her hand as she stumbles away from the remains of the crystal. A sudden urge to take the weapon shard out of its pouch comes up, but she manages to suppress it, more or less.

She sinks down against a wall some distance from the broken crystal, making sure to keep her hands away from the pouch. "Ehm, any of you happen to have a lead-lined box?" she asks the others in a small voice. "That weapon-shard isn't nearly as inert as I thought it was."

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

A few minutes of digging through her pack later, Raidah comes up with an empty sack and a set of metal tongs.

Apparently not, which is deeply disappointing. I could wrap it in chains and lock them if we're desperate, but all of my containers are too thin to block anything. I don't think we should leave it behind, either. Are you good to keep carrying it?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

"Ehm, yeah give me a moment." After taking a moment to steel herself, Elva quickly takes the belt pouch with the weapon shard off her belt and chucks it into her back pack, making sure to stack some of the other goods she's carrying on top of it. "There, now at least if it does get the upper hand I can't get to it as easily.". She still sounds a bit shaky, but some confidence has returned to her voice.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-04-24 at 06:25 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

a few minor (barely rattle anything) earthquakes punctuate an otherwise silent night. Even the night sounds of birds and insects seem to be silent as if mourning the loss of the old man in this temple.

Casmir:

The body is surprisingly well preserved, you have NO idea how long ago he died, and if it weren't for the caved-in skull, and multiple stab wounds to the chest and belly, he looks as if he could be asleep.

a complete search of the temple reveals little, most of the rooms are empty, completely stripped bare (possibly when this site was abandoned). You find this man's private quarters easily enough, this is the only room with some thought put into it. A lavish room, with a comfortable bed made to military neatness, a writing desk full of books and journals, as well as a few other shelves full of more books and journals. A thin coating of dust covers everything, which shows he may have been dead a little longer than you originally think.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmmm, I wonder..." Elva looks over the dust-covered room left behind by Albright. "Could Albright's death have been the start of this destabilization that we've been send to investigate?" After a moment more of thought she shakes her head. "No way to tell, I suppose, but lady Almira might know."
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-04-24 at 07:21 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140

ClericGuy

Casmir nods.

"A good thought! Though whether his death triggered it or not, I don't know how it could help us stop it, unless of course it turns out he was some sort of keystone keeping this whole place in order!"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Raidah goes over to the desk and looks through the various journals lying on it.

"Well, not like we have anything else to go on. Maybe he wrote down 'John Q Smith in the village threatened to kill me with a giant black spear' somewhere in here."

She picks up whichever one is the most recent(based on his bed, he absolutely dates them), and will start reading at a week before the final entry, noting the date as well as if he mentions anything unusual.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Raidah jerks back from the table, dropping the journal she picked up. She glances around a bit, looking at the others, then looking everywhere but at the others, before taking a breath and straightening up.

Okay, warning to all of you, I have started having visions of the caretaker's last days. So far they seem to be transmitted by touching his things, but I don't know what else might happen. If I start expressing an interest in attending services or mopping, it's not me, run. And I would really prefer if we got out of here soon.

She sighs, pulls out her tongs, then mutters. It's never easy. Why can't I just kill minotaurs and get paid for it? It's always got to be messy.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Elva bows down to pick up the journal that Raidah had dropped, and slips it into her pack. "Unless there's anywhere we haven'te checked yet, I'd say we get back to the capital. Both for Raidah's sake, as well as my own, as that weapon-shard hasn't exactly stopped whispering either."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Alyndra had spent most of night holding her familiar, and it wasn't quite clear who was trying to comfort the other. Regarding the timing, she could only shrug, “We have no way of saying when he died - unless we're able to extrapolate it from his journals? - so it's difficult to say which led to what.”

“Regarding the keystone though...” The young elf grimaced, “Odds are it was in the sphere, and now in the hands of that mysterious man. Which is not exactly good news, gods know what he might be able to do with that.” After a small pause, she added, “But I guess we're going to know a lot more about that soon enough...”

She cocked an eyebrow at Raidah's reaction, obviously quite interested, but nodded after Elva expressed her desire to go back, “It's probably for the best. Let's take the journals though, who knows...” She frowned slightly, clearly considering saying something more as she looked at Elva, but shook her head. “We can go as soon as I get back to Jasper - my donkey. It wouldn't do to leave him here.”

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Raidah pulls out a sack with and uses her tongs to drop books in. She's going to make sure she gets all the journals, anything else that looks interesting, and if she grabs anything extra she won't worry about it, but she's making no effort to retrieve the various academic works or similar. She is being extremely careful not to touch any of the books with her hands, or even to let them brush the inside of the sack where her gauntleted hand is holding the outside. When done, she holds the open sack towards Elva.
    If you don't mind? I don't think the journal and the weapon are linked, but I'm worried about one person carrying both. She hesitates. And are we sure we searched this room fully? I don't want to spend any more time here than we have to, but I really don't want to come back because he stored a bunch of deeds of sale under his bed and the boss wants them.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Elva adds the books she'd picked up to the stack Raidah had gathered. "Well, it can't hurt to be extra sure." She says in response to Radiah's question, before making another sweep of the room, bringing in a bit of magic to make sure she misses nothing.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

perception check: (1d20+10)[13]
    Elva also casts 'detect secret doors' and 'see invisibility' to help with the the search.

27. - Top - End - #147

ClericGuy

Casmir frowns.

"That is not good... and is somewhat worrying... at this point going back may be a better option, this is too much for myself to be able to fix."

He looks over as they gather up the books, and has a quick glance at the academic papers, trying to get some into his backpack as well, again, without touching wherever possible (either using his weapon or his tent roll to sweep them into his backpack.)

"You never know when these will come in handy... it may be something he was investigating which may lead to what was going on."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Between the 4 of you, you almost manage to get 90% of the books in the library of his room.

46 journals
    18 history books (different races)
    4 different world maps books (these were interesting cause NONE of them were of this world)
    various religious texts
    2 books that flared magic when looked at
    4 books containing humorous stories (barbarians advice to a rogue from 30 feet away (see OOC channel) among them)
    and various odds and ends

Detect secret doors reveal a small trap door under the bed in which is a small iron lockbox that weighs too much to be empty. Also tucked under the bed is an OLD battered, patched, and frayed looking backpack....but when Alyndra looks at the room in general with "detect magic" this thing flares as brightly as a noon day sun in high summer. (ANYONE looking inside of it shows a black empty hole, but if anyone reaches in roll a D100)

The candle on the desk is still brightly burning no matter how long you stay in the room and any attempts to blow it out fail, but putting your hand to it reveals no heat (think ever-burning torch with a candle).

Clothes in this room are neat and tidy and only a few lay in a corner that might be dirty.

there is an armor stand in the room that looks like it had some use but currently sits empty.

a brief glimpse of the journals reveal these have been kept up almost meticulously for many many decades, the earliest ones show dates from when this old man must of been a much younger man and just starting his adventurer/military career.
    Last edited by sarlon; 2020-04-30 at 10:06 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

"Now, what do we have here." Elva purs as she lifts the small lockbox into view. After looking over the box thoughtfully, she gets her thieves tool out of a belt pouch and sets to work on opening the box.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I'm just going to take 10 on open lock if that's okay, which'll get me a total of 20 (8 from dex+skill ranks, 2 from masterwork tools, and 10 from taking 10).

If that fails, Elva'l hit the box with the knock spell to open it anyway.

"Okay, nothing on four, three seems set, two is binding..." Elva mutters to herself as she works through the lock. Then, with a small *click* the lock turns and the box is open. A quick rummage through the box reveals an assortment of coins and gemstones, as well as a piece of paper that appears to be the deed to some property. After finding nothing of immediate interest, Elva closes the box again and slips it into her pack.

"I suppose we should ask Lady Almira if Albright had any next-of-kin this should go to." She says to the rest. "Otherwise, we can split the contents between the four of us."
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-04-30 at 10:08 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

While initially mostly interested in the documents found in the room - and not showing much reaction when Elva revealed the content of the chest - Alyndra's attitude changed a bit when she noticed the aura the apparently simple backpack produced. “Oh?”

She turned the backpack around, trying to see what it did and how it worked. Sure, she could use the spell that did just that and aptly named Identify, but it took quite a bit of time and no one wanted to stay too long around here, especially when she could just as well do it back at the inn. When she saw the "content" of the backpack, she frowned. After a brief hesitation, she made sure it was safe - by sticking something in it without letting it go - then reached in with a hand if nothing happened.

Backpack's content - (1d100)[37]